CMG's Log (6', 190lbs, HLM, HPS, Montana, Climbing)

A place to track your progress, or lack thereof

Moderator: Chebass88

MarkKO

Re: CMG's Log (6', 190lbs, HLM, HPS, Montana, Climbing)

Post by MarkKO » Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:45 pm

cgeorg wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:30 am
MarkKO wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:00 am I would absolutely finish the boxes. If the Blum runners you're using are the ones I'm thinking of (Movento) you'll want to minimise any movement in the timber at all, and ply is notorious for moving every which way.

We use Osmo Polyx high solid oil on all our veneer and timber. It isn't cheap, but it's a great product and you can get good results while being quite sparing especially using a roller.

I would personally finish the drawer box components before putting them together, it'll make getting good coverage easier. The process we use is machine, pre fit as required, oil, then assemble. You just need to mask whatever surfaces you glue if you're using any.

Interestingly, finishing drawer boxes isn't something that comes up much as mostly we build ours out of whiteboard and just face them. We only use two drawer systems, Movento and Legrabox. Legrabox are significantly more expensive, I think coming in around 100 AUD per drawer not including the face as far as I know.
I was going to use the BLUM Tandem Plus BLUMOTION. Doing as much finishing pre-assembly as possible definitely seems the way to go, and due to limited clamps and 9 drawers I was just going to pockethole the front and back into the sides, since those will be hidden. I know it's a bit amateur but seems the best for my limited setup. I suppose I can still add a bead of glue, with the pocket screws providing the clamping force.

Ugh I guess for the fronts I'll probably still need to clamp, and I think only 2 of them are wide enough. Looks like the collection will grow.

Ugh, I can't get it to not try to preview the amazon link. maybe code tags?

Code: Select all

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BTGC7N9/
Movento is just a slightly upgraded Blumotion I'm pretty sure. Those use the orange from clips on the box to lock into the runners, right?

If you're going to pocket hole the screws you don't have to glue, but it won't hurt with ply simply because of the movement it'll likely have.

You could always screw the faces on if your boxes have a sub front. If you drill carefully and use a nice screw like a brass pan head it can look good. Then you can also put a couple of beads of glue behind the face to hold it once you've set the faces properly. If you wanted to use pretty screws you could look into getting some threaded inserts to fit into the fronts instead of screwing directly into the front too.

cgeorg

Post by cgeorg » Fri Dec 22, 2023 6:02 am

MarkKO wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:45 pm Movento is just a slightly upgraded Blumotion I'm pretty sure. Those use the orange from clips on the box to lock into the runners, right?

If you're going to pocket hole the screws you don't have to glue, but it won't hurt with ply simply because of the movement it'll likely have.

You could always screw the faces on if your boxes have a sub front. If you drill carefully and use a nice screw like a brass pan head it can look good. Then you can also put a couple of beads of glue behind the face to hold it once you've set the faces properly. If you wanted to use pretty screws you could look into getting some threaded inserts to fit into the fronts instead of screwing directly into the front too.
Yeah, same orange clips. They look like a breeze to install. These will be overmount but the adjustability seems especially nice for inset drawers, and given my newbieness I may end up using it anyways just to line the faces up if needed.

Not sure what a sub front is... Would that be like a 1/4" backer behind the 1/4" front panel that will slot into the rails and stiles? I was planning to screw the fronts on from the inside of the box, into the stiles. One in each corner. Mostly following this guy's process

I am starting to consider just doing slab fronts to save some time and effort... Probably would have been good to start on something smaller than a 6.5' wide built-in that's slotting into a very unsquare nook.

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Fri Dec 22, 2023 1:19 pm

More like Oops All Cabinets.

But seriously, I like all the non-lifting passions leaking into everyone's logs lately.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Fri Dec 22, 2023 4:46 pm

cgeorg wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 6:02 am
MarkKO wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:45 pm Movento is just a slightly upgraded Blumotion I'm pretty sure. Those use the orange from clips on the box to lock into the runners, right?

Yeah, same orange clips. They look like a breeze to install. These will be overmount but the adjustability seems especially nice for inset drawers, and given my newbieness I may end up using it anyways just to line the faces up if needed.

Not sure what a sub front is... Would that be like a 1/4" backer behind the 1/4" front panel that will slot into the rails and stiles? I was planning to screw the fronts on from the inside of the box, into the stiles. One in each corner. Mostly following this guy's process

I am starting to consider just doing slab fronts to save some time and effort... Probably would have been good to start on something smaller than a 6.5' wide built-in that's slotting into a very unsquare nook.
I think sub front is just what I call the front panel of the drawer box. We call our drawer components bottom, side, back, sub front and face when we're making a box rather than using a system that has metal sides.

They're great for inner drawers, we rarely use anything else for that application. What will help a lot to get your fronts sitting nicely is to level the unit and when that's done adjusting the run of the drawer before fitting the front off. That'll let the drawer sit dead centre of the cabinet and make adjusting them easier. There's a small toothed wheel looking thing at the back of the right slide that lets you do that. You click it left or right to move the drawer.

When that's done you fit the front. If you drill decent size clearance holes for the screws that also buys you some fudge. If you use an eight gauge screw (shank would be 1/8' or whatever four mm is), a five mm hole (about a 1/5') will give you room to tweak the front. Typically I'll fix the first two screws diagonally opposite each other, one in the upper left corner and lower right. Then I'll tweak the adjustment of the drawer so the front sits where I want it, and only when that's done put in the other two screws.

I hope that makes sense, I'm a lot better explaining this if I have a unit on the bench in front of me.

cgeorg

Post by cgeorg » Wed Dec 27, 2023 2:24 pm

Yeah I think I get what you mean with the slightly larger hole, you get a bit of wiggle room for the shaft while still having some wood for the edge of the threads to bite. I assume you'd use the correct bit for the other 2 to get it snug.

----

Climbed Christmas eve, sent my first v5-7 tag. It was a bit ugly, had a hand slip and a foot slip. I'll do it again later cleaner, but fuck yeah! Christmas was solid, top gift was probably a rangefinder although this new hoodie is pretty damn great too.

Since I'm in there paying medical bills, I grabbed the name of the drug I got in my shoulder. 10mg of triamcinolone acetonide.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:10 pm

cgeorg wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 2:24 pm Yeah I think I get what you mean with the slightly larger hole, you get a bit of wiggle room for the shaft while still having some wood for the edge of the threads to bite. I assume you'd use the correct bit for the other 2 to get it snug.

----

Climbed Christmas eve, sent my first v5-7 tag. It was a bit ugly, had a hand slip and a foot slip. I'll do it again later cleaner, but fuck yeah! Christmas was solid, top gift was probably a rangefinder although this new hoodie is pretty damn great too.

Since I'm in there paying medical bills, I grabbed the name of the drug I got in my shoulder. 10mg of triamcinolone acetonide.
Super late reply, my bad.

Yes, absolutely with the smaller bit.

cgeorg

Post by cgeorg » Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:03 am

cgeorg wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 2:24 pm Climbed Christmas eve, sent my first v5-7 tag. It was a bit ugly, had a hand slip and a foot slip. I'll do it again later cleaner, but fuck yeah!
Video of the ugly send:

Video of a much cleaner looking v5-7 I sent yesterday:

The top is cut off, but that last move is just going to the top of the wall. Also, I started doing some campus board work after my hangboard warmup, and yesterday got 1-4 on both sides. It's a thing that looks like the left side here:

The bottom rung is 1, and they go up from there, so 1-4 is hanging like the girl on the bottom rung, then dynamically pulling up and grabbing the 4th one with one hand. The gold standard, which I'm sure I'm quite far away from, is 1-5-9, which is going from both hands first rung to one hand fifth rung, then the other hand up to the 9th. It's a start though. My fingers have been feeling strong with the bit of hangboarding I was doing, but pulling power felt a bit lacking. I'm hoping this will balance those out. I'm still struggling on some much lower graded problems, so I'll be working on figuring out what it is about those that's killing me to shore up those weaknesses.

DCR

Post by DCR » Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:18 am

cgeorg wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:03 amClimbed Christmas eve, sent my first v5-7 tag. It was a bit ugly, had a hand slip and a foot slip. I'll do it again later cleaner, but fuck yeah!
I don't know the first thing about the sport but that was very cool to watch. Second your fuck yeah!

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:10 pm

DCR wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:18 am
cgeorg wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:03 amClimbed Christmas eve, sent my first v5-7 tag. It was a bit ugly, had a hand slip and a foot slip. I'll do it again later cleaner, but fuck yeah!
I don't know the first thing about the sport but that was very cool to watch. Second your fuck yeah!
My sentiments exactly. Really cool to watch.

I am delighted by obscure passions.

cgeorg

Post by cgeorg » Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:37 am

broseph wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:10 pm I am delighted by obscure passions.
More frog content please.

-----

I probably should log climbing in the new forum, but then I'd have to start lifting to keep this one alive. Plus, I like how this acts as the closest thing I have to a journal - it was very interesting going back and reading my egyptian log years after its writing. And this one early on. Crazy how people change in 5 years.

Anywhoo, the office built-in now has an attached face frame, is shimmed and attached to the wall, and has about 80lbs of drawer slides installed. I used spacer blocks when putting together the face but even then ended up with some slight variations in width. About 1/16" at the worst, and reading online this is about the level of overshoot you can have for these to still work, so I'll make one drawer box, verify that it works on all the openings, and then do the rest. Slowly getting trim for the second window we're doing painted, god I hate painting with a brush, my 95% perfectionist side just does not line up my skill levels. I've done a decent bit of watching and have good brushes but just don't understand how you can do this without roping, and also how you can do a piece where 5 of the 6 sides will be visible and need even finishing. Painting a 3/4" edge without any over-drip is frickin impossible. Wish I had a spray setup.

Ok, physical activity! Still doing hip stuff most nights, as mentioned in broseph's log I had to back off the positions of a couple things. Namely, stacking my top foot onto my knee in log pose was causing some thinks hard about medical terms ...opposite of medial? outside of knee pain, so I moved my foot down to just below the knee, and am still plenty inflexible that I can get a great stretch. Straddle stretch was causing pain on the inside, so I switched to an isolation style where I do one side then the other, also much more bueno and plenty of stretch. ALSO added a little piece of hip flexor stretching which is nice because I sometimes have some weird impingement of the nerve that goes down the front of the quad and that seems to help.

Missed some climbing due to travel, and did like 1 hangboard session at home to try to maintain something. Got back to the gym and my campusing was bad (missed 1-3 on each side my first time, then got it but missed 1-4) but fingers felt ok. Seemed like they had re-set half of a gym, so I browsed around, struggling on some hard stuff, and then found and sent a really cool v5, powerful and overhung with some really interesting moves. Took me several tries to work out beta for the middle section, slipped off the first crux on my first send attempt, then got it on the second. The fact that what feels like a bad session results in me sending a V5 at the end of the session is super damn heartening.

I am starting to feel smol in the mirror, at the end of the climbing sesh my forearms were nearly as big as my biceps. I should figure out some upper body stuff I can do that doesn't aggravate my shoulder and get started on that. Also on that front, I am having occasional pain there, but still better than pre-shot. It never lasts too long or gets too bad.

Just realized ACL and MCL are real easy ways to remember that the first one is causing anterior pain and the second one is causing medial pain. Then google and no, the anterior is as I thought, the front. Lateral being an overloaded term is annoying.

DCR

Post by DCR » Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:47 am

cgeorg wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:37 am ALSO added a little piece of hip flexor stretching which is nice because I sometimes have some weird impingement of the nerve that goes down the front of the quad and that seems to help.
Same and it began a few years ago after I had an umbilical hernia repaired. Explain that.

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:31 am

cgeorg wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:37 am
broseph wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:10 pm I am delighted by obscure passions.
More frog content please.
My passions tend to wax and wane, and I'm currently in a wane phase with the frogs. They are still receiving the care and attention they need, but the glass is dirty, the plants are overgrown, and I've pulled egg/tadpole deposition sites so I don't have to deal with breeding (if anything, they probably prefer the glass dirty and the plants overgrown).

I think we're approaching a wax phase though, as I get cabin fever around this time of year after a few months of no outdoor gardening activity. Vivarium maintenance scratches that itch.

The snake hasn't eaten since mid November, which is typical for her winter fast. She should start to perk up within the next month though!

cgeorg

Post by cgeorg » Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:46 am

I lifted yesterday!

SGDL: 135x5x4

I also climbed yesterday. It was a decent sesh. It looks like I didn't mention my yearly motto here, but it was really less of a motto and more of a goal - climb outdoors with other people, and generally get myself involved in some sort of climbing community/group. With basically every passion-hobby I've undertaken, I've joined some sort of something. Homebrew club, sports leagues, even professionally as a coder attending meetups and starting a code & coffee thing at a place I worked. When I started climbing, I had a co-worker/friend who climbed so I had a buddy. He moved away, and I do have another friend that I still climb with, but she doesn't boulder and is a few grades below me on routes, so I don't really have any external drivers pushing me. So, one aspect of this goal was to stop always having my earbuds in when climbing solo, since gym climbing lends itself very well to striking up conversation about a problem that you and others are working on.

It has gone ok so far, I've gotten into a bit of conversation 3 or 4 times so far this year, including yesterday. I think the only noteworthy send was an ungraded comp-style climb where I'd been stuck on a particular move, and seeing a different hand sequence for the section that had stopped me got me through it. I am often at the gym on Sunday mornings and I hadn't seen this group around before, so I don't know if I'll see them again, but it's a start. I do know another woman that climbs w/my friend and I sometimes, and seems to know everyone and does lots of outdoor stuff. I need to foster that a bit. It feels icky writing about it like this, like I'm using her as a means, even though I don't think it actually is? It's weird how one can be really quite good in social situations while simultaneously feeling super awkward thinking about them.

Oh right, speaking of CLs. One of the climbs the group I were working on involved a heel hook that could be done as a heel-toe cam, where you kind of level your foot between the wall and the hold to lock yourself in. Falling while in one can lead to catastrophic injury, but they're also solid as fuck. I was getting locked in and my knee popped, no pain though. I kept going, and gave it one more attempt before calling it for the day. Some pain has developed in the proximal lateral calf area. Could be a random pop, could be a PCL/LCL thing, could be a gastrocnemius thing. It only really hurts with a combination of knee flexion and leg external rotation, for instance sitting indian style (is there a new name for that yet?) or crossing my right leg over my left. Most of my nightly stretching involves this sort of thing, so that's on hold for a while. I have an appointment with a nurse practitioner at my PCP's office Thursday just in case.

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:30 pm

I refuse to say "criss-cross-applesauce" but don't love saying "indian style." To me, "lotus" specifically includes getting the feet off the ground and onto the lap, which I can't do.

Let me know if you make any progress on this. Oh, what about "lazy lotus"?

cgeorg

Post by cgeorg » Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:20 pm

broseph wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:30 pm I refuse to say "criss-cross-applesauce"
Hah, gotcha!

cgeorg

Post by cgeorg » Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:40 am

My log is so all over the place that I think little headers will be nice.

Knee Stuff
My knee was getting better daily through Thursday so I cancelled the appointment, at which point improvement stagnated. So, I went in today. Honestly, not the best appointment. I love my PCP but she's usually booked out a ways (right now, a month and a half for acute issues, 4 months for annual physicals). This nurse practitioner seems to prefer talking to listening. I didn't get much except for a recommendation to see a PT. He didn't think pain levels merited any ortho/imaging for the time being. I guess I'll go in for that and see what they say, try to keep up the hangboarding and do some roped climbing when I can.

Woodworking Stuff
Got the drawer boxes constructed, 1/2" birch plywood with birch iron-on edge banding on top. Don't buy the edge band trimmer, it will cut into your wood and/or shred the banding - just use a razor. I also cut the back pieces at the dado so the bottoms can slide in and out for repair if needed, and they'll just be tacked into the back from below. I used butt joints w/wood glue and some 18g brads, doing 9 boxes and only having 2 clamps big enough means I just relied on the brads. And because I wanted to make sure the bottoms would slide in and out, but I wanted them in to keep the drawers square during construction, I wanted to leave them upside down after gluing. Which meant I didn't have anywhere inside to store them, and it's freezing here so the glue is probably not going to do jack shit. At this point I just want to get it done so whatever, the joints shouldn't have much stress. The only part I'm concerned about is the back of the ones that'll be hanging files. If they break I can rebuild them better. Planning to sand and install them today, then get started on the faces. The good: I now have a dado stack so 3/4" mortises/tenons/rabbets will be infinitely easier to cut.

Oh, sanding. Am I doing something wrong when sanding painted surfaces and/or stuff like the edge banding which has glue? Using both diablo sandnet and regular paper, it gets clogged/gummed up really quickly. For instance, the edge banding was about 50 linear feet, 2 sides. I went through about 6 sheets of 220 getting the edges cleaned up. When I was trying to finish the face frame at 400 grit post-painting, the sandnet clogged up and then started leaving red deposits about 3/4 of the way through.

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:33 pm

cgeorg wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:40 am This nurse practitioner seems to prefer talking to listening
I hate when providers do this. Maybe some patients are comforted because it makes them seem like they know their stuff? It just makes me feel like they're not hearing any of my snowflakey symptoms.

This may also be because I think every time I go to the doctor I need a Dr. House-level investigation because by the time I've actually made an appointment I've already webMD'd the shit out myself and ruled out all the normal things over the course of several months of pain. (I am not a doctor)

cgeorg

Post by cgeorg » Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:02 am

broseph wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:33 pm
cgeorg wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:40 am This nurse practitioner seems to prefer talking to listening
I hate when providers do this. Maybe some patients are comforted because it makes them seem like they know their stuff? It just makes me feel like they're not hearing any of my snowflakey symptoms.

This may also be because I think every time I go to the doctor I need a Dr. House-level investigation because by the time I've actually made an appointment I've already webMD'd the shit out myself and ruled out all the normal things over the course of several months of pain. (I am not a doctor)
He doesn't even do it about my thing though, it's like he'll go off on a tangent about how he runs half-marathons and marathons and he loves PT because he goes there once and they give him stuff to do in the app and then he can just use the app and meanwhile I'm back at "Ok, I came to you for an acute sports injury and you don't even know how to program your running to avoid injury?"

------

Knee/Climbing
Haven't made the PT appointment yet, but did climb yesterday. I figured I'd just do the auto-belay climbs so as to avoid falling from a boulder and landing awkwardly. Power was meh during warmups, especially pulling power, but I've had a few weeks off so ok. I was a few grades below where I'd like to be, and had quickly run out of everything I could do there, and bouldering is so fun, and my knee felt good, so to the bouldering walls I went. Again, probably a grade below where I'd like to have been, but it all went ok aside from getting super pumped fairly quickly. Sent a few ~V4 boulders, including one with a right heel hook, which didn't hurt any more than crossing my legs. It felt a little sore for the rest of the day, but come evening I could sit in lazy lotus without pain. I've also rejiggered my work schedule to have a nice hour long break midday, and went for somewhat hilly little walk today. It started to feel a little tender in a good way, and now as I sit to type this I have the pleasant warmth of healing bloodflow singing in my legs.

Lifting
My wife wants to get back to regular lifting and I've been wanting to but not wanting to lately, but compliance is better with a partner, so I'm going to start. NFI about goals, right now it's just "regain some strength." Not sure what I'm going to do about upper body since I think pressing is out, and my equipment is limited, but we'll see. If anyone wants to throw out ideas, I have:
  • Full Height Rogue SML Squat Rack, with pullup bar
  • Flat bench
  • 1 barbell
  • Plates
  • Adjustable dumbbells, 5-25
  • 1 set of bands
  • Pulley system on my hangboard, climbing harness
Gut feeling is that heftier adjustable dumbbells would be great but 'spensive, a second set of bands would be useful and less 'spensive. Shoulder stuff should be doable with dumbbells, pulling should be doable with the barbell, but I don't know about chest/triceps. I guess barbell pullovers and skullcrushers could hit them... maybe some sort of banded single-arm fly, like half of what you'd do with a cable crossover? The missing cartilage is in the top of the shoulder joint, so the pullovers may not work. We'll see.

House Stuff
The drawers have been installed on the slides, they all fit despite being about 1/16 wider than my test drawer, and the glue-ups seem like they should hold. Taking a little break to finish up some window trim before I get the faces and cabinet door done, but it's getting close. The trim involved painting with a brush which I think I've already bitched about enough so I'll hold my thoughts there, and the faces will also involve painting that I wish I could do with a sprayer. Thinking about seeing if I can just find some sort of white spray paint enamel thing for them, it's probably better to have a harder surface on drawer fronts and also the top when I get there.

cgeorg

Post by cgeorg » Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:19 pm

2024-02-26

Testing some things. No goes include: any sort of fly, pullovers

Skullcrushers
Barx5

Hard, but no good way to do anything between 25 and 45. It'll come

Curls
25x8x3

Also hard, will transition to barbell when I get 12

Squat
125x5x3

Easy, hammies were feeling it big time though and I'll probably walk funny tomorrow. Shoulder might be a limiter here, with my rack width I can only get as wide as middle fingers on outer rings, which was the best of everything I tried. Might try the ol' hands on the collar thing next time. My wife said I was leaning forward more than usual, I think my lack of shoulder meat and tightness may have had the bar riding lower than usual.

cgeorg

Post by cgeorg » Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:44 am

Climbed yesterday. Weak sesh, finger and pulling strength weren't there in my warmups. Did some ~v4s and ~v3s. Also tried out some dips, tried facing both in and out, tried to really get my lats engaged to lift my shoulder socket up off the arm ball, no dice.