Generator fuel

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

Oldandfat

Re: Generator fuel

Post by Oldandfat » Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:52 am

Cinic wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:51 am
Hanley wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:20 pm
Cinic wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:46 pm
Hanley wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:55 am
Cinic wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:58 amI couldn't get thru a gallon of my own mix before it went bad.
How do you know if the mix goes bad?

*gazes at gallon of 2-stroke mix that I've been using for probably way too long*
Just wouldn't run right. Died. Wouldn't throttle up. Hard starting.

This was stored in a plastic can. And I couldn't get gas w/o ethanol here.
Fuck it. TruFuel for the Fancy Stihl henceforth. Not worth trying to save $15
I really tried to mix my own. Used the fancy synthetic Stihl oil and the best gas I could find. Still went bad.

If you really want to go boutique, give the Stihl pre-mixed a run. It's 'like a sports drink for your engine.'

https://www.stihlusa.com/products/oils- ... l/motomix/

(i've never bought it - think it was $9/quart when I saw it in the dealer)
Moto and trufuel are “supposedly” one and the same. One is dyed red (trufuel). I,have no official proof, I just read it somewhere, BUT the cans are identical.

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:55 am

JonA wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:43 am I guess I'm kinda lucky. All my two strokes have heavy seasonal use. Never really had to worry about fuel going bad; we go through too much of it. Draining the fuel at the end of the season is some one of a couple of seasonal maintenance tasks, so its not a big deal.

I have been looking at LP generators, though. I have a 500g LP tank for heating the house and could run the generator off of that. Anybody run a propane or duel fuel generator?
I’d say you,very lucky. Even a drained “whatever” will have,fuel in the,carb bowl. This,can go,bad and,eventually gum the carb.

Propane is clean. One of our cabin neighbors converted a Honda 2000 to propane. No more carb issues. And propane doesn’t go bad.

JonA

Post by JonA » Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:45 pm

Oldandfat wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:55 am I’d say you,very lucky. Even a drained “whatever” will have,fuel in the,carb bowl. This,can go,bad and,eventually gum the carb.
Yep. I drain the carbs as well when we drain the rest of the fuel.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:21 am

So i just discovered "super unleaded" non ethanol is sold here in pump form.
$3.79 a gallon.

Root
Grillmaster

Post by Root » Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:07 pm

Wilhelm wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:25 pm Fortunately, my sleigh shovel is basically equivalent to a snowblower as far as effort goes.
And i don't freeze walking behind it.
I've really developed my technique, and stopped using the 10HP Toro my neighbor always offered to lend me.
The Toro was self propeled, but still significant work.
Even before he passed away, i stopped using the Toro in preference to the sleigh shovel.
It's just a more enjoyable experience for me overall.

I just have gentle slopes i use to push the shovel up and over, and with that style, you never actually lift the shovel from the ground.
It's rather amazing how fast i can clear everything, and we get significant depths of snow.
I'll run one groove down the drive, and can then load 4 shovelfulls in that groove, and walk them all down at once.
You talking about a yooper scooper?

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:13 am

Root wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:07 pm You talking about a yooper scooper?
Googles yooper scooper

Apparently yes, i am. :lol:

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:29 am

Can anything be done to salvage stored gasoline that's been sitting in a metal can for four weeks or so? Will adding Sta-bil at this point reverse the degradation process?

I was thinking of moving it -- as needed -- to my smaller gas can to use in my cheap Ryobi yard shit, but the season where mowing becomes less frequent is quickly approaching. I might be stuck trying to gradually burn up four gallons throughout the fall and winter.

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:16 am

Renascent wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:29 am Can anything be done to salvage stored gasoline that's been sitting in a metal can for four weeks or so?
If I find myself with too much gas, I'll just burn it in my car (4 week old gas should be fine).

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:04 pm

Hanley wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:16 am
Renascent wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:29 am Can anything be done to salvage stored gasoline that's been sitting in a metal can for four weeks or so?
If I find myself with too much gas, I'll just burn it in my car (4 week old gas should be fine).
This was the original plan.

My can isn't vented, and has one of those California-compliant spouts, so I spilled more gas than I managed to get into the tank during the first attempt two weeks ago.

I was a little worried that I dicked around for too long after giving up, but I guess I'll find something to transfer it into for safer pouring if four weeks isn't too long to have waited.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:36 am

Bought complete pull start assembly so i could swap it out on the generator and always have one ready to go.
Rope is getting pretty frayed after ten years and i don't want it to go in the middle of the night in the winter when i need it.

The interior parts are just slightly different, placing the palls short of where they need to be to engage the slots on the hub that turns the crank.

"Ok, fuck"

Take everything inside.

"i'll just try this without watching an instructional video.
(Because learning is hard)

Disconnect interior assembly on new spool to get the new rope removed(completely unnecessary)
Spring promptly unfurls.

"Ok, fuck, i'll just try and coax the other one out without causing the spring to unf... Ok fuck"

Watch instructional video.
Get spring reloaded, learn that i never needed to take anything apart to re move and replace the rope.

"I'm so smart"