steroids in sports

Powerlifting, Olympic Weightlifting, Strongman, Highland Games

Moderator: Manveer

mbasic

Re: steroids in sports

Post by mbasic » Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:01 am

DPriest442 wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:13 am Why do you think it is that pretty much everyone in the strength training communities has come to this conclusion but not other sports? I feel like it you ask a guy who doesn't train if you think LeBron, or Ronaldo, or Usain Bolt is on steroids then they'd tell you no, but if you ask a powerlifter or olympic lifter they'd probably say yes
IDK...but it SEEMS obvs the roids would have the most direct effect and transfer on the OLY/PL sports. Or that is the (false?) perception of everyone I guess.

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:39 am

I wonder how many more will get caught? I'm sure this is a 1 time thing and Russia has learned it's lesson (sarcasm) :lol:
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/ioc-gettin ... 00008.html
The 15-year-old reportedly tested positive before the Beijing Games for trimetazidine, a heart medication that has been banned since 2014 because it can boost blood flow and endurance – which would seem to be of use for, oh I don’t know, a skater trying to master quadruple jumps.

Valieva became the first woman to do a quad at the Olympics, landing two of them to help Russia secure the team title. She’s a heavy favorite to add a second gold in the women’s event.
She probably just had heart issues :roll:

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:29 am

DPriest442 wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:13 am Why do you think it is that pretty much everyone in the strength training communities has come to this conclusion but not other sports? I feel like it you ask a guy who doesn't train if you think LeBron, or Ronaldo, or Usain Bolt is on steroids then they'd tell you no, but if you ask a powerlifter or olympic lifter they'd probably say yes
Two factors here. The people that don't train or lift think if you lift heavy you bulk up, like it's an automatic guaranteed thing. In short, they are completely ignorant on the subject but don't know it. I thin k this actually holds true for many commercial gym users that should have figured it out by now. Serious lifters know that plenty of guys use stuff, even if they don't personally know who or what for sure and have no close associates doing it. Other lifters either have used themselves or been around guys that use, which is super likely if they compete in strength sports. I have been around a lot of Plers that cycled (Which they are open about if they trust you), and virtually every HW SM competitor I was around was on, and plenty of U105 guys too. Knowing who is taking what, even if it's only a general idea, coupled with knowing their training and what it does to and for them, makes you really jaded. Personally, I do not believe for a second that someone can live on junk food and be famous for a lax training ethic and still manage to beat times of guys like Carl Lewis and Ben Johnson without some "Assistance". Let's just be serious. I am willing to believe Ronaldo is not on steroids, but I do not know if he uses other PED's, and I don't see any reason to believe LeBron uses steroids - at least not beyond maybe a TRT level. Dude trains hard and doesn't strike me as unuasually strong or muscular for a guy that has trained hard that long, I think he is very disciplined and professional about it. I don't think Bolt did what he did without NOS in the engine, he isn't that athletically gifted outside of running in a straight line or he'd be playing pro or semi-pro futbol for somebody like he tried to do.

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:07 am

Hardartery wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:29 am
T. I have been around a lot of Plers that cycled (Which they are open about if they trust you), and virtually every HW SM competitor I was around was on, and plenty of U105 guys too. Knowing who is taking what, even if it's only a general idea, coupled with knowing their training and what it does to and for them, makes you really jaded.
Literally made me not want to compete anymore. If I wanted to place higher than 3rd (if I was lucky) there was no way unless I started juicing. The guys that were 1st and 2nd were leaps and bounds above what could be achieved naturally. Even for a 3rd place was a battle against guys that were most likely juicing but were not athletic or not that strong yet from just starting. It was at a point that either I needed to start to be competitive or step aside. Since I was on the older end and did not want to take a chance to ruin my health I stopped competing.

That being said local shows I will still compete in. If I know who is hosting and know some of the lifters. The bigger Juice heads usually don't compete around here at the local levels. My favorite local host moved to Idaho which is a long drive to compete at a local event.

I'm pretty Sure Lebron is juicing. You look at Kareem Abdul-Jabbar he was probably natural.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:45 pm

zappey1 wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:07 am
T. I have been around a lot of Plers that cycled (Which they are open about if they trust you), and virtually every HW SM competitor I was around was on, and plenty of U105 guys too. Knowing who is taking what, even if it's only a general idea, coupled with knowing their training and what it does to and for them, makes you really jaded.
Literally made me not want to compete anymore. If I wanted to place higher than 3rd (if I was lucky) there was no way unless I started juicing. The guys that were 1st and 2nd were leaps and bounds above what could be achieved naturally. Even for a 3rd place was a battle against guys that were most likely juicing but were not athletic or not that strong yet from just starting. It was at a point that either I needed to start to be competitive or step aside. Since I was on the older end and did not want to take a chance to ruin my health I stopped competing.

That being said local shows I will still compete in. If I know who is hosting and know some of the lifters. The bigger Juice heads usually don't compete around here at the local levels. My favorite local host moved to Idaho which is a long drive to compete at a local event.

I'm pretty Sure Lebron is juicing. You look at Kareem Abdul-Jabbar he was probably natural.
I would say that it's a safe bet that Kareem was natural, and that he did not lift during his career as guys did not lift back then. LeBron, on the other hand, does lift and doesn't appear all that beefy. I'm not saying he doesn't take anything, but I would be surprised if he's on any actual steroids. Most of them would not really help him in his sport. Is he taking non-AAS enhancement? Maybe, that wouldn't shock me. Maybe some low dose GH or something, but I would bet it's nothing serious. I'm also not saying he wouldn't use stuff if it helped, I doubt he would have an issue with that. He just looks like a guy that does everything right and has quality people guiding that part, to me.

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:34 am

Hardartery wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:45 pm
zappey1 wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:07 am

I would say that it's a safe bet that Kareem was natural, and that he did not lift during his career as guys did not lift back then. LeBron, on the other hand, does lift and doesn't appear all that beefy. I'm not saying he doesn't take anything, but I would be surprised if he's on any actual steroids. Most of them would not really help him in his sport. Is he taking non-AAS enhancement? Maybe, that wouldn't shock me. Maybe some low dose GH or something, but I would bet it's nothing serious. I'm also not saying he wouldn't use stuff if it helped, I doubt he would have an issue with that. He just looks like a guy that does everything right and has quality people guiding that part, to me.
Shaquille O'Neal? You think there is a way he was Natty?

I love Shaq and want to believe but IDK

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:34 am

zappey1 wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:34 am
Shaquille O'Neal? You think there is a way he was Natty?

I love Shaq and want to believe but IDK
I have no skin in the game, I have somewhere near zero interest in basketball at any level. I would be really surprised if Shaq was using anything, nothing seemed over the top about him except his height. I never thought he was particularly athletic and sucked at free throws, but he seems to be a super nice guy in real life so I don't want to slam him. I think he's a genuinely nice person, in spite of fame and money.

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:33 am

I don't get why she is not kicked out? Why let her compete?
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/kamila-val ... 48368.html
Additionally, the presence of the two other substances used to improve heart function raise “a whole host of alarm bells that absolutely need to be investigated,” Tygart said. “Clearly somebody has taught her or coached her, directed her, to use these substances, and somebody's spending the money for them. And you only do that in a 15-year-old to try to increase [her] performance.”

Tygart said the possibility of Valieva’s grandfather’s medicine “going from a presumably sealed bottle in the bathroom medicine cabinet into her urine at a level of 2.1 nanograms” was a “long shot.

5hout

Post by 5hout » Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:17 am

zappey1 wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:33 am I don't get why she is not kicked out? Why let her compete?
Additionally, the presence of the two other substances used to improve heart function raise “a whole host of alarm bells that absolutely need to be investigated,” Tygart said. “Clearly somebody has taught her or coached her, directed her, to use these substances, and somebody's spending the money for them. And you only do that in a 15-year-old to try to increase [her] performance.”

Tygart said the possibility of Valieva’s grandfather’s medicine “going from a presumably sealed bottle in the bathroom medicine cabinet into her urine at a level of 2.1 nanograms” was a “long shot.
Because, on appeal, CAS defers to RUSADA's temporary decision to not suspend her pending the investigation. It's standard deference, which makes sense in many cases. In this case (It's fucking RUSADA) it's completely loony. Say there was an innocent minor being investigated by a legit anti-doping agency that didn't suspend pending b/c of valid reasons (maybe tainted supps, maybe B sample negative, who knows what). CAS defers to the people with the most knowledge, lets the case develop/all facts be found/full briefing rather than make a hasty decision.

The problem here is that RUSADA is exploiting the system and no one at the IOC seems to give a shit. They don't want to risk Russia pulling out more/taking more aggressive actions so they're just sort of sitting in the middle of the road (a long line painted yellow) and hoping this all blows over.

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:53 am

5hout wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:17 am
zappey1 wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:33 am I don't get why she is not kicked out? Why let her compete?

Because, on appeal, CAS defers to RUSADA's temporary decision to not suspend her pending the investigation. It's standard deference, which makes sense in many cases. In this case (It's fucking RUSADA) it's completely loony. Say there was an innocent minor being investigated by a legit anti-doping agency that didn't suspend pending b/c of valid reasons (maybe tainted supps, maybe B sample negative, who knows what). CAS defers to the people with the most knowledge, lets the case develop/all facts be found/full briefing rather than make a hasty decision.

The problem here is that RUSADA is exploiting the system and no one at the IOC seems to give a shit. They don't want to risk Russia pulling out more/taking more aggressive actions so they're just sort of sitting in the middle of the road (a long line painted yellow) and hoping this all blows over.
Jut crazy that they say they want to prevent doping. But then when a pretty clear case is presented the don't do anything (yet hopefully).

I read an article yesterday about Sha'Carri Richardson who did not get to compete for failing on Marijuana but Valieva gets to compete for known performance enhancers? Seems like some mixed signals and double standards for Russian athletes.

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:29 am

Just read this article:
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/not-a-grea ... 35847.html
Russian doping authorities, not the more harsh United States ones, were responsible for Valieva’s punishment, or lack thereof. Delays in processing and notification from Russia’s anti-doping agency kept the positive test from airing until Valieva had already competed in her first event in the Games, more than a month after the sample was taken. The USADA acted rapidly in rendering a judgment to which Richardson agreed; had Russia’s equivalent acted with similar speed and forthrightness, Valieva might not have gotten on a plane to the Olympics, either.
So basically the IOC is shit. If you are a Russian athlete they try to cover for you and drag their feet/ cover up as much as possible.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:33 am

yeah....i think we are reachine someking of tipping point with the IOC and the Olympics.

Not just drugs, but everything in general.

Venues, events, drug testing, etc ... nobody fucking cares .... viewership, etc.

It seems the whole Olympic thing is turning into a (bigger than it already is) shitshow.

5hout

Post by 5hout » Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:02 pm

mbasic wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:33 am yeah....i think we are reachine someking of tipping point with the IOC and the Olympics.

Venues, events, drug testing, etc ... nobody fucking cares .... viewership, etc.

It seems the whole Olympic thing is turning into a (bigger than it already is) shitshow.
I would agree, but there is a lot of ruin in a massive event with tons of sponsorship deals. Also, I think the Oly fatigue is real. I'm just not ready care this shortly after the summer Olympics.

GrainsAndGains

Post by GrainsAndGains » Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:05 am

mbasic wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:33 am yeah....i think we are reachine someking of tipping point with the IOC and the Olympics.

I agree. Figure skating is way too popular, and they just treated the world to a spectacle of crying children because they were unable or unwilling to properly handle a doping scandal. Can't just hand wave it away the way you can with weightlifting anymore.

5hout

Post by 5hout » Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:37 am

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:35 pm

GrainsAndGains wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:05 am

I agree. Figure skating is way too popular, and they just treated the world to a spectacle of crying children because they were unable or unwilling to properly handle a doping scandal. Can't just hand wave it away the way you can with weightlifting anymore.
Now a Ukrainian skier .... https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-02-17/ ... /100838644

and lolz at the Iranian Alpine Skier

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:30 am

Another one "skater"
https://www.yahoo.com/news/spanish-figu ... 00393.html
Spanish figure skater Laura Barquero has become the fourth athlete to fail a doping test at the Beijing Olympics after testing positive for the banned steroid clostebol, the International Testing Agency said on Tuesday.
As well as Barquero's case, there were positive tests in Beijing for Iranian Alpine skier Hossein Saveh Shemshaki and two Ukrainians, cross-country skier Valentyna Kaminska and bobsledder Lidiia Hunko.
I always wonder how many more are not getting caught? Years ago I read an article that said conservative estimates were around 80% of top athletes doing something illegal. Only a small amount will ever get caught and they know it.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:26 am

zappey1 wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:30 am I always wonder how many more are not getting caught? Years ago I read an article that said conservative estimates were around 80% of top athletes doing something illegal. Only a small amount will ever get caught and they know it.
I'm not positive on this, but I heard before the top 3 (medalists) get automatically tested at the Olympics. Others under that get randomly tested.

mouse

Post by mouse » Tue May 03, 2022 4:03 am

DeAndre Hopkins popped for PEDs... suspended 6 games... maybe NOW we can finally stop talking about the 2020 Hail Murray play?

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/338 ... ped-policy

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Tue May 03, 2022 12:22 pm

mouse wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 4:03 am DeAndre Hopkins popped for PEDs... suspended 6 games... maybe NOW we can finally stop talking about the 2020 Hail Murray play?

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/338 ... ped-policy
I wonder what PED it was?

He has no idea how he got popped :lol: