MarkKO's training log

A place to track your progress, or lack thereof

Moderator: Chebass88

MailmanMuscle

Re: MarkKO's training log

Post by MailmanMuscle » Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:38 pm

I don’t know if I will ever compete in strongman, but following your log and IG has me eyeballling some of the implements they have at Gold’s Gym. I definitely plan on playing around with some of them once I’m done dieting.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:31 pm

MailmanMuscle wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:38 pm I don’t know if I will ever compete in strongman, but following your log and IG has me eyeballling some of the implements they have at Gold’s Gym. I definitely plan on playing around with some of them once I’m done dieting.
Which ones in particular? I never knew Gold's every really catered to strongman.

MailmanMuscle

Post by MailmanMuscle » Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:01 pm

At least the yoke carry and farmers walk implements. They have a couple of tires in there but I’m scared of a biceps tear. I don’t know about every Gold’s, but the one I go to has a dedicated powerlifting area which is why I got the membership. Plus they have a a large indoor turfed area that is like a multi-purpose Strongman/CrossFit/sports skill area. It’s pretty big with a lot of stuff.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:41 pm

MailmanMuscle wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:01 pm At least the yoke carry and farmers walk implements. They have a couple of tires in there but I’m scared of a biceps tear. I don’t know about every Gold’s, but the one I go to has a dedicated powerlifting area which is why I got the membership. Plus they have a a large indoor turfed area that is like a multi-purpose Strongman/CrossFit/sports skill area. It’s pretty big with a lot of stuff.
Try the yoke press too! It's there, so you may as well.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:04 am

Had to combine days three and four because reasons.

Around mid morning or lunch starting getting a shooting pain/sensation in my left calf which is still going. Not a fan, and no idea what the go is with it either.

Two rounds
Bulgarian bag swings
Windmills with 44 lbs DB

1x529 lbs DL on stiff bar with straps, which moved fine.
0x573 lbs, glued to the floor
0x550 lbs, also glued to the floor
0x220 lbs stone extension, that glue must have spread

I know when I'm beat so I left.

No idea what happened there. I'm tired, but that's pretty standard. The 529 moved fine, no slowing down and it wasn't a slow rep. It didn't feel easy but wasn't hard and it looked much better than it felt.

My only guess is that I'm strong enough to do the training currently, but my recovery isn't at the same level yet because my body hasn't adapted to the new training. It's used to squat, bench and deadlift with assistance. I don't know I'd that makes sense, but the picture emerging is that I can get through a week fine and then around halfway through the week after things start to slow down. The only explanation I have is that I need to adapt, and the way to do that is just keep going which is what I was going to do anyway.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:05 pm

Went and coached at a meet today. I haven't done that before, and was there as a short-notice replacement. Luckily I train with Eva a fair bit so I knew what she was capable of.

Hands down, it was more stressful than competing. Very enjoyable because she did well but holy hell. My stomach was in knots.

DCR

Post by DCR » Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:41 pm

MarkKO wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:05 pm Went and coached at a meet today. I haven't done that before, and was there as a short-notice replacement. Luckily I train with Eva a fair bit so I knew what she was capable of.

Hands down, it was more stressful than competing. Very enjoyable because she did well but holy hell. My stomach was in knots.
That’s because you’re a good dude. I’ll bet that she was very happy to have you in her corner, first time, short notice, or otherwise.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:05 am

DCR wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:41 pm
MarkKO wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:05 pm Went and coached at a meet today. I haven't done that before, and was there as a short-notice replacement. Luckily I train with Eva a fair bit so I knew what she was capable of.

That’s because you’re a good dude. I’ll bet that she was very happy to have you in her corner, first time, short notice, or otherwise.
She was, she said. She trains a couple of days a week around the same time I do. She started maybe three years ago? First thing I noticed was how explosively she could move the bar, she just didn't realise it was beyond what most people can do. I'm generally quite cautious about giving advice and stuff especially to women because it can come off wrong but after a while I started giving hints here and there and as soon as it became obvious she appreciated it I figured I'd do whatever I could to get her to see what she's capable of. Then she just took off, she told me once it helps having someone who believes in her.

Her coach is a nice guy but never seemed comfortable pushing and didn't seem to see that it would help. I just treat her like another dude really, and give her shit and get in her head. About nine months ago she turned a real corner when she started realising she could fight the bar. Used to be, if it slowed down she would fail. Now she can just keep going for three or four reps that are nothing but guts; except because she did ballet since she was a kid her body awareness and mobility is fucking phenomenal so her technique doesn't break down.

A week ago her coach said he wouldn't be able to coach her any more, so I offered to step in if the gym owner is OK with it. Hopefully he will be.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:26 am

Week three (of what? Still unsure).

Two rounds
Bulgarian bag swings
Windmills with 44 lbs DB

4x15 m +15 m x187 lbs/hand farmer's carry, all around 26 seconds
2x14 seconds x 440 lbs frame hold
3x8x385 lbs DL off two thick mats
4x10/10x88 lbs chest supported T-bar rows to chest supported shrugs
3x15x110 lbs reverse hyper

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:32 am

Spent most of the day building cabinets with a VERY blunt countersink bit in my drill, aka pressing hard all day with my shoulders in positons not entirely well suited to pressing hard. This becomes relevant later.

One round
Bulgarian bag swings
Windmills with 44 lbs DB

One round - wanted something more clean and press specific here
Bulgarian bag high pulls
DB snatch with 44 lbs

3x3x176 lbs log clean and press. These felt great, the technique seems to be clicking. Except for the last rep of set two. That was all over the place, and I thought I was going to drop the log on my head. I didn't, but I DID somehow wrench my left shoulder which was already not exactly happy with me. See above.
1x237 lbs, 1x215 lbs log clean. First clean felt REALLY good. Second one not so much to the point I had to drop 22 lbs and getting that further pissed off my left shoulder.

At this point I just left. I planned on chucking in at least the military presses I was meant to do at the end of tomorrow if my shoulder calmed down, which it has.

That being said, I'd much rather do this than persist and really piss something off. I need to look at sharpening my bit, because assembly doesn't normally tax my shoulders this much.

Clearwater47

Post by Clearwater47 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:28 am

Yeah, I just had this happen a couple of days ago on squats. Definitely with you that it's better to live to lift another day rather than try to push through something that's obviously not working and then regretting it. Anyone who's lifted for any length of time learns that staying healthy enough to lift consistently is possibly the most important thing for long term progress. You made the right call for sure.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:14 pm

Clearwater47 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:28 am Yeah, I just had this happen a couple of days ago on squats. Definitely with you that it's better to live to lift another day rather than try to push through something that's obviously not working and then regretting it. Anyone who's lifted for any length of time learns that staying healthy enough to lift consistently is possibly the most important thing for long term progress. You made the right call for sure.
Pretty much. There are times I push through but really that only happens close to or in competition. Even then you're often better off being cautious.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:45 pm

Ended up not training on Friday because I got the stepson from school. He would have hung out at the gym but I'd have felt bad since he doesn't get into it too much so I figured I'd train today.

Two rounds
Back raises, one at 90 degrees and one at 45 degrees

1x529 lbs, 2x0x639 lbs, 0x573 lbs silver dollar DL

My lower back went pop as the 573 lbs was about to break the floor. So instead of the bar coming up, I went down. Not for too long, and eventually I could unload the bar but my back is still very tight.

This has been a week to forget.

Bolder

Post by Bolder » Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:10 am

45-degree back extensions usually feels quite refreshing.

No doctor here, but they say that for any type of back pain, it's always good to keep moving.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:02 am

Bolder wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:10 am 45-degree back extensions usually feels quite refreshing.

No doctor here, but they say that for any type of back pain, it's always good to keep moving.
Not wrong. I did some bodyweight reverse hypers immediately after which helped a bunch. I tend to find those work better than back raises for me, because back raises are super hamstring and glute dominant whenever I do them though.

I'll also be doing some buttwalks because hands down they are the best lower back rehab I know of.

Hey, I got off lightly: I van get up and sit down without needing to brace or plan my movement and I can roll over in bed without using the headboard. That means this is minor.

DCR

Post by DCR » Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:43 am

MarkKO wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:02 am Hey, I got off lightly: I van get up and sit down without needing to brace or plan my movement and I can roll over in bed without using the headboard. That means this is minor.
Can confirm.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:35 pm

DCR wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:43 am
MarkKO wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:02 am Hey, I got off lightly: I van get up and sit down without needing to brace or plan my movement and I can roll over in bed without using the headboard. That means this is minor.
Can confirm.
I also pass the sneeze test: I can sneeze without bracing or holding onto something.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:50 pm

MarkKO wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:45 pm Ended up not training on Friday because I got the stepson from school. He would have hung out at the gym but I'd have felt bad since he doesn't get into it too much so I figured I'd train today.

Two rounds

My lower back went pop as the 573 lbs was about to break the floor. So instead of the bar coming up, I went down. Not for too long, and eventually I could unload the bar but my back is still very tight.

The next morning is usually the crucible that lets you know how bad it is or isn't. Still sucks though.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:05 pm

Hardartery wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:50 pm
MarkKO wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:45 pm Ended up not training on Friday because I got the stepson from school. He would have hung out at the gym but I'd have felt bad since he doesn't get into it too much so I figured I'd train today.

Two rounds

The next morning is usually the crucible that lets you know how bad it is or isn't. Still sucks though.
I am very happy to report that I'm still able to move vaguely normally. Bending down requires some care, but otherwise I'm OK and just sore. Experience dictates that a day or two at work will do wonders.

MailmanMuscle

Post by MailmanMuscle » Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:53 pm

MarkKO wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:05 pm I am very happy to report that I'm still able to move vaguely normally. Bending down requires some care, but otherwise I'm OK and just sore. Experience dictates that a day or two at work will do wonders.
Seems like a promising update. Hope you’re back to normal sooner than later. 🤞🏾