DUNE movie trailer

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

tdood

DUNE movie trailer

Post by tdood » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:14 am

Thoughts?

tdood

Re: DUNE movie trailer

Post by tdood » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:33 am

Visually, I think it’s spot on. Love the way the body shields look, the way the sand worm is swallowing the crawler looks perfect. Timothy Chalamet looks just how I imagined Paul Atreides to look.. young, slight, serious.

The whole feel seems right, I just hope they can execute the story with the details in a way that is satisfying. I’m pumped for it.

mouse

Post by mouse » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:35 am

I gotta be honest... never seen or read Dune...

Trailer looks pretty cool...

But I'm honestly more excited that now I finally understand the South Park joke about Tom Brady's poop.

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:39 am

mouse wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:35 am I gotta be honest... never seen or read Dune...

Trailer looks pretty cool...
Same. Looks good. Wanna watch

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:46 am

Trailer exceeds expectations.

-LOVE that they included the hand-to-hand combat. Holtzman shields probably not workable in the 80's but the sound blaster was fooking stoopid.
-Liked the design and overall feel. Glad they mostly kept the 80's Dune stillsuit design. It was spot on. No need to change a good thing.
-Timothy Chalamet might be an inspired choice for Paul (slight of build, precocious). Can Timothy pull off killer? Paul was a killer.
-Trailer makes it clear the movie will go past the 'Fall' portion of the book. Unless they filmed portions of Part 2 now and have them in the trailer to throw off nerds like me.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:58 am

lolz at the casting of Baustia (Drax, wtf his name is) ... perfect!

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:36 pm

I gave up on the Dune series of books at some point, but the first one is absolutely must read material.

This looks really fuckin' good.

hsilman
✓ Registered User

Post by hsilman » Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:22 pm

I disliked Dune, but the movie looks good. I don't know why exactly I don't like the book, but I just didn't enjoy it. I will definitely watch the movie though.

5hout

Post by 5hout » Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:22 pm

This looks good, honestly it was the closest I've seen something come to my mental image of the book. I'm cautiously excited.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:26 pm

I guess Scarlett Johansson is in it !!!

HOLLYWOOD, CA—Scarlett Johansson has come under withering criticism after agreeing to play the giant sandworm, Shai-hulud, in Denis Villeneuve’s upcoming adaptation of Frank Herbert’s Dune.

Johansson is signed on to provide the motion-capture footage and guttural roars for artists to generate CGI of the legendary desert worm. Critics claim that by agreeing to portray a character other than a white, cisgendered female, Johansson is ignoring the life experiences and struggles of other genders, races, and species of colossal desert-dwelling worm creatures living on the planet Arrakis.

“Scarlett really needs to stay in her lane,” said a representative for the Sandworm Actor’s Guild of America. “Until you’ve lived it, you can’t possibly understand what it truly means to live underground generating spice. Back off, girl!”

“Sandworms suffer exploitation from Fremen tribes stealing their spice every single day, and Johansson feels she can just come in and act like a sandworm, like she’s an actor or something,” he added. “We will not stand for this. We want more film roles, no matter how qualified Johansson is for the part.”

“The roles must flow,” he added ominously.

Sandworm actors across the country began refusing to generate spice until Johansson agrees to remove herself from the film, sources confirmed at publishing time.

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:20 pm

hsilman wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:22 pmI disliked Dune
The book can be unnecessarily dense at times. Has a bunch of made up jargon (looking at the supplied dictionary in the back can get tedious) along with pages and pages of desert ecology lectures. Not an easy, fun read. As a teenager, the book introduced me to a whole lot of complex ideas about religion, politics, and power struggles. As an adult, I don't know if it really says anything of important about those things that isn't already known. Like duh, religion and politics shouldn't mix. I can't read through it in one go anymore. I have to put it down and come back to it.

Still love the story, the world building, the characters, and so on. It's top sci-fi and great literature but I get it if someone is like, you read that for fun? This is in contrast to calling the book trash. It is objectively not trash.

tdood

Post by tdood » Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:42 pm

aurelius wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:46 am Trailer exceeds expectations.

-LOVE that they included the hand-to-hand combat. Holtzman shields probably not workable in the 80's but the sound blaster was fooking stoopid.
-Liked the design and overall feel. Glad they mostly kept the 80's Dune stillsuit design. It was spot on. No need to change a good thing.
-Timothy Chalamet might be an inspired choice for Paul (slight of build, precocious). Can Timothy pull off killer? Paul was a killer.
-Trailer makes it clear the movie will go past the 'Fall' portion of the book. Unless they filmed portions of Part 2 now and have them in the trailer to throw off nerds like me.
I HATED the shields in the old movie, the new hand to hand combat scenes look awesome. It looks like the shield field turns red when something penetrates it, which is a neat addition and will help you know what’s going on.

I don’t think it’s going to revolutionize anyone’s thought as an adults, it’s just really good. I find the whole thing enthralling.

I loved the worms tho, when it was eating that crawler.. it looks just how I envision it. The trailer exceeded my expectations too, and at the very least We’ll see some awesome visual representations of scenes from the book, even if they can’t get the magical details.

Anyone who hasn’t read it, it’s also on Audible and worth the listen, return it if you don’t like it.

TimF

Post by TimF » Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:05 pm

mbasic wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:26 pm I guess Scarlett Johansson is in it !!!

HOLLYWOOD, CA—Scarlett Johansson has come under withering criticism after agreeing to play the giant sandworm, Shai-hulud, in Denis Villeneuve’s upcoming adaptation of Frank Herbert’s Dune.

Johansson is signed on to provide the motion-capture footage and guttural roars for artists to generate CGI of the legendary desert worm. Critics claim that by agreeing to portray a character other than a white, cisgendered female, Johansson is ignoring the life experiences and struggles of other genders, races, and species of colossal desert-dwelling worm creatures living on the planet Arrakis.

“Scarlett really needs to stay in her lane,” said a representative for the Sandworm Actor’s Guild of America. “Until you’ve lived it, you can’t possibly understand what it truly means to live underground generating spice. Back off, girl!”

“Sandworms suffer exploitation from Fremen tribes stealing their spice every single day, and Johansson feels she can just come in and act like a sandworm, like she’s an actor or something,” he added. “We will not stand for this. We want more film roles, no matter how qualified Johansson is for the part.”

Sandworm actors across the country began refusing to generate spice until Johansson agrees to remove herself from the film, sources confirmed at publishing time.
I thought Christian Bale was playing the sandworm?

hector

Post by hector » Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:37 pm

mbasic wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:26 pm I guess Scarlett Johansson is in it !!!

Don't care if this opinion makes me racist in the church of Woke.
Ghost in the Machine was the shit.

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:22 pm

IDK if this can beat the 80's version? That movie had Sting, Patrick Steward and a fat dude flying around in a diaper!

It might be better then the 2000's scifi version

Idlehands
Sunshine + Unicorns

Post by Idlehands » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:43 am

aurelius wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:20 pm
hsilman wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:22 pmI disliked Dune
The book can be unnecessarily dense at times. Has a bunch of made up jargon (looking at the supplied dictionary in the back can get tedious) along with pages and pages of desert ecology lectures. Not an easy, fun read. As a teenager, the book introduced me to a whole lot of complex ideas about religion, politics, and power struggles. As an adult, I don't know if it really says anything of important about those things that isn't already known. Like duh, religion and politics shouldn't mix. I can't read through it in one go anymore. I have to put it down and come back to it.

Still love the story, the world building, the characters, and so on. It's top sci-fi and great literature but I get it if someone is like, you read that for fun? This is in contrast to calling the book trash. It is objectively not trash.
I see your Dune is dense and raise you Anathem. Dune is fucking fantastic. LIke literally still recall the day I was sitting in my dad's chair bored one day, found a dense tome is his stack of papers/books. I cracked it open and disappeared for a few days until it was finished. Could never get him to read it either. It was his darn book!? Where did it come from!?

tsor

Post by tsor » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:05 am

Cautiously optimistic about this, but Villeneuve's style seems like it would fit the setting pretty well and the trailer looks pretty good.

Anyone know how much of the books they are planning to film? I assume this is just the first book, and though I haven't read the series since highschool, I remember the second and third books being pretty good and feel like they would probably transfer to film just as well. After that they get pretty weird. I'd love to see someone try to pull off a movie about the philosophical musings of a 3,500 year-old human-sandworm hybrid. :lol:

Also, I really don't like the trend that's come up in recent years of playing modern covers of classic rock songs in movie trailers. Something about it just irks me every time.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:23 am

"After that they get pretty weird..."
^ lolyep

I kind of recoiled from that music too.
I didn't even take the time to actually name/remember the song, just knew it sounded familiar

GrainsAndGains

Post by GrainsAndGains » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:09 am

tsor wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:05 am Cautiously optimistic about this, but Villeneuve's style seems like it would fit the setting pretty well and the trailer looks pretty good.

Anyone know how much of the books they are planning to film? I assume this is just the first book, and though I haven't read the series since highschool, I remember the second and third books being pretty good and feel like they would probably transfer to film just as well. After that they get pretty weird. I'd love to see someone try to pull off a movie about the philosophical musings of a 3,500 year-old human-sandworm hybrid. :lol:

Also, I really don't like the trend that's come up in recent years of playing modern covers of classic rock songs in movie trailers. Something about it just irks me every time.
My understanding is that they are currently only planning to film a sequel to the first film, which would finish out the first book, but it hasn't yet been greenlit as they are waiting on the box office performance of the first movie to make a decision.

I think they could pretty easily do a third sequel adapting Messiah, it's a logical endpoint to Paul's story. They could probably get away with a single film based on Children of Dune, but I agree with you that God Emperor is probably unfilmable.

Idlehands
Sunshine + Unicorns

Post by Idlehands » Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:15 am

GrainsAndGains wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:09 am
tsor wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:05 am Cautiously optimistic about this, but Villeneuve's style seems like it would fit the setting pretty well and the trailer looks pretty good.

My understanding is that they are currently only planning to film a sequel to the first film, which would finish out the first book, but it hasn't yet been greenlit as they are waiting on the box office performance of the first movie to make a decision.

I think they could pretty easily do a third sequel adapting Messiah, it's a logical endpoint to Paul's story. They could probably get away with a single film based on Children of Dune, but I agree with you that God Emperor is probably unfilmable.
well wasn't 1,2,3 all written at the same time? I think 2/3 may have been finished before 1. Messiah I had trouble reading . Liked the later ones, God Emperor didn't make sense.