Tool guys let’s talk about what I should do

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

Stenson

Re: Tool guys let’s talk about what I should do

Post by Stenson » Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:00 pm

Oldandfat wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:54 pm
Stenson wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:04 pm All my cordless tools are Milwaukee (both 18v and 12v). Absolutely love em. If you're patient you can find some great deals at HD, or look for refurbs on the CPO outlets website. About half my tools are refurbs and I've never had a problem with them.

Corded tools stay in the shop for the most part, and they're just a hodge podge of whatever I could find a deal on. Some dewalt, some bosch, some hitachi.
Thanks for the heads up on that website.

Are your Milwaukee fuel or not?
Some of both. Fuel: 12v impact, 12v hammer drill, 12v Hackzall, 12v cut off tool, 18v hammer drill, 18v Sawzall, 18v drywall screw gun. Non-fuel: M12 dremel tool, M12 multi tool, M12 screwdriver, M18 Impact driver, M18 circ saw, M18 jobsite fan.

AFAIK Ryobi, Ridgid, and Milwaukee are owned by the same parent company and can be thought of as "Good, better, best" in terms of build quality.

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:47 am

@mgil & @broseph : still give a thumbs up for the Ryobi stuff? I’m over here still using a corded drill like a caveman.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:09 pm

TimK wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:47 am @mgil & @broseph : still give a thumbs up for the Ryobi stuff? I’m over here still using a corded drill like a caveman.
I’ve expanded my Ryobi collection to include a waterproof scrub brush thing that works miracles on glass shower doors and alloy wheels and a random orbital buffer.

Both work great. My drill and impact driver are still going strong.

Leaf blower is great for sweeping out the garage.

String trimmer gets beaten on and still keeps going.

So, yeah, I’d recommend them still.

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:38 pm

mgil wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:09 pm
TimK wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:47 am @mgil & @broseph : still give a thumbs up for the Ryobi stuff? I’m over here still using a corded drill like a caveman.
I’ve expanded my Ryobi collection to include a waterproof scrub brush thing that works miracles on glass shower doors and alloy wheels and a random orbital buffer.

Very similar to this. I keep expanding the collection and being happy with each expansion. It’s not contractor grade, but it performs very well for the price point.

A heavy duty corded drill could be considered a totally different tool with different functions compared to the cordless. So no need to regret that purchase.

hsilman
✓ Registered User

Post by hsilman » Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:24 pm

All of my ryobi stuff has been great.

I've also been very happy with Klein for my electrical testing equipment(multimeter and cabling)

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:25 pm

broseph wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:38 pm

Very similar to this. I keep expanding the collection and being happy with each expansion. It’s not contractor grade, but it performs very well for the price point.

A heavy duty corded drill could be considered a totally different tool with different functions compared to the cordless. So no need to regret that purchase.
Lol it’s a single speed black and decker with no clutch and a 3/8 chuck :lol:

I just ordered this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-ONE-H ... ae612eb7b3

I wanted something that will work for occasionally drilling into masonry. Based on what you guys have said and some YouTube videos I think I will be extremely pleased. Now I’m on to looking at the rest of their gadgets and convincing myself that I need them… definitely have to pick up one of those digital tire inflator things…

DoctorWho

Post by DoctorWho » Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:26 pm

My favorite part of any project is planning and using it to justify buying tools. Facebook marketplace, pre-covid used to be amazing for used power tools.

Interested in views on the adapters for using other batteries on a brand.

DoctorWho

Post by DoctorWho » Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:50 am

TimK wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:25 pm
broseph wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:38 pm

Lol it’s a single speed black and decker with no clutch and a 3/8 chuck :lol:

I just ordered this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-ONE-H ... ae612eb7b3

I wanted something that will work for occasionally drilling into masonry. Based on what you guys have said and some YouTube videos I think I will be extremely pleased. Now I’m on to looking at the rest of their gadgets and convincing myself that I need them… definitely have to pick up one of those digital tire inflator things…
I looked at a lot of tools before going with Makita cordless, but the specs on Ryobi are great. If the hammering function cannot be turned off, you get the pleasure and justification for buying a regular drill/driver. I think reviews tend to split hairs, so my guess is that it will last a lifetime for a homeowner/DIYer (like me) unless you abuse it (like me) by overloading it a lot.

weisgarber

Post by weisgarber » Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:25 pm

TimK wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:25 pm I just ordered this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-ONE-H ... ae612eb7b3

I bought the earlier model in 2017 for $119: https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-ONE-1 ... /316806014

Mine came with a case and different battery, but I believe it's the same tool. I used it twice to do some basic drilling into cinderblock and thought it worked fine. The rest has been drilling or driving screws. It has plenty of torque (600 vs yours, which is 750) and I'm very pleased with it. I have a corded Rigid drill I got for high torque applications (drilling 6" deep holes into wet pressure treated wood in 2014-2015), but I'm not sure I've had to use it since getting the Ryobi.

One of the batteries abruptly crapped out after two years, but the other one is still fine, and during holidays 2019 they had a deal where you could buy two 4 amp batteries with charger and a tool of your choice for $99, so I got their portable work light.

So I currently have two 4amp batteries, one 1.5 amp, two chargers, a hammer drill/driver, and work light (which can be plugged in or use a battery) for $219.

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Tue May 17, 2022 8:41 am

Kicking this thread back up.

I picked up a Ryobi One+ brad nailer because I'm redoing all the doors/trim on my first floor, and while I already have a DeWalt air nailer, I never enjoy dragging the compressor/hose around the house, especially when anyone else is home. Debated getting the Milwaukee version since I already have the M18 impact wrench and driver. The Ryobi seemed to have better reviews in every head-to-head comparison I could find, and for half the price of the M18 bare tool it also came with a battery/charger. I like it a lot so far, and it reliably sinks the brads to just the right depth with the 3 different brands I've tried so far.

Since I already had a number of M18 batteries, I also picked up a One+ tool to M18 battery adapter, which works perfectly.

I am debating picking up some other One+ tools to replace my old NiCad Porter Cable stuff.

PuddingFace

Post by PuddingFace » Tue May 17, 2022 9:51 am

murphyreedus wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:41 am Kicking this thread back up.

I picked up a Ryobi One+ brad nailer because I'm redoing all the doors/trim on my first floor, and while I already have a DeWalt air nailer, I never enjoy dragging the compressor/hose around the house, especially when anyone else is home. Debated getting the Milwaukee version since I already have the M18 impact wrench and driver. The Ryobi seemed to have better reviews in every head-to-head comparison I could find, and for half the price of the M18 bare tool it also came with a battery/charger. I like it a lot so far, and it reliably sinks the brads to just the right depth with the 3 different brands I've tried so far.

Since I already had a number of M18 batteries, I also picked up a One+ tool to M18 battery adapter, which works perfectly.

I am debating picking up some other One+ tools to replace my old NiCad Porter Cable stuff.
I have the ryobi system, an assortment of tools. The drill and driver are the oldest, bought 8 years ago. Used regularly but not heavily I would say. I'm also not particularly hard on tools either. I believe I was using the drill with a spade bit last year and the vibration made it feel like the handle was coming apart. Not sure if its age, construction or both, but based on that experience, I probably wouldn't get a 3/8" impact or hammer drill, etc. Otherwise no complaints, would recommend for casual use.

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Mon May 23, 2022 11:11 am

After watching too many Ryobi videos, I ended up buying a bunch of Milwaukee M18 stuff for like twice as much, because it was on sale at a local farm store and came with extra free batteries.

Drill and Impact Driver combo
Trimmer
Blower
Hackzall
Multi-tool

EggMcMuffin

Post by EggMcMuffin » Mon May 23, 2022 7:55 pm

Those Milwaukee tools are so nice. I found a 1/4 drive ratchet at a junkyard inside of an engine bay about two year ago. The thing was completely sludged up with dirt and oil, exterior beat to shit and to this day it has never given me any problems. I use it for everything. It came in handy when assembling my power rack, and it has enough torque to back off most bolts on a car once they've been loosened enough.

I really want one of those stubby 1/2 inch drive impact wrenches but I can't really justify it seeing as my corded Bauer has an absurd amount of breakaway torque. Never run into anything where I needed "fuck you" torque AND a small tool, though.

mouse

Post by mouse » Tue May 24, 2022 4:12 am

Anaphase wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 7:55 pm Never run into anything where I needed "fuck you" torque AND a small tool, though.
Oh, to have never lived in the rust belt... such innocence...

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Tue May 24, 2022 9:44 am

Anaphase wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 7:55 pm I really want one of those stubby 1/2 inch drive impact wrenches but I can't really justify it seeing as my corded Bauer has an absurd amount of breakaway torque. Never run into anything where I needed "fuck you" torque AND a small tool, though.
Are you talking the compact one? I really like my normal sized m18 1/2 impact wrench. Between the 1/2 wrench and the 1/4 impact driver I never thought I needed a compact impact wrench...

*jumps out of thread to feverishly research new tool*

EggMcMuffin

Post by EggMcMuffin » Tue May 24, 2022 12:36 pm

murphyreedus wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 9:44 am
Anaphase wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 7:55 pm I really want one of those stubby 1/2 inch drive impact wrenches but I can't really justify it seeing as my corded Bauer has an absurd amount of breakaway torque. Never run into anything where I needed "fuck you" torque AND a small tool, though.
Are you talking the compact one? I really like my normal sized m18 1/2 impact wrench. Between the 1/2 wrench and the 1/4 impact driver I never thought I needed a compact impact wrench...

These look so nice for junkyard runs. Problem is I hardly hit the junkyard anymore, so no real reason for me to buy one.

mouse

Post by mouse » Wed May 25, 2022 2:34 am

Anaphase wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 12:36 pm
murphyreedus wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 9:44 am

These look so nice for junkyard runs. Problem is I hardly hit the junkyard anymore, so no real reason for me to buy one.
Let the records reflect that 250 ft lbs is in fact, not 'fuck you' torque...

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Wed May 25, 2022 6:00 am

murphyreedus wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 9:44 am*jumps out of thread to feverishly research new tool*
Do you have a smoker or grill that needs cleaning (surely you do, right?).

You need a nice, small cordless shop vacuum:

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/ ... ms/0880-20

JonA

Post by JonA » Wed May 25, 2022 6:50 am

mouse wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 2:34 am Let the records reflect that 250 ft lbs is in fact, not 'fuck you' torque...
I was replacing the flex plate on my truck and _supposedly_ the bolts were torqued to 250lbs + loctite. My impact has a 450lbs/ft reverse rating and couldn't budge them. I had to use a 3/4 drive 5' breaker bar and 6 GOMADs to get them loose. They were hex drive bolts so all the torques were on the inside diameter. I really wish I would have replaced them with standard bolts to make it a little easier to work with. They are torque-to-yield when you install news ones and I'm pretty sure I wasn't able to torque them tight enough.

It sucked, because they were literally the only bolts not rusted out on the truck. My impact wrench happily broke the heads off pretty much everything else it touched (engine mounts, hitch mounts, cab mounts, you name it), but the flex plate? Nuh-uh. I guess I should be happy it didn't break them too.

mouse

Post by mouse » Wed May 25, 2022 7:07 am

JonA wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 6:50 am
mouse wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 2:34 am Let the records reflect that 250 ft lbs is in fact, not 'fuck you' torque...
I was replacing the flex plate on my truck and _supposedly_ the bolts were torqued to 250lbs + loctite. My impact has a 450lbs/ft reverse rating and couldn't budge them. I had to use a 3/4 drive 5' breaker bar and 6 GOMADs to get them loose. They were hex drive bolts so all the torques were on the inside diameter. I really wish I would have replaced them with standard bolts to make it a little easier to work with. They are torque-to-yield when you install news ones and I'm pretty sure I wasn't able to torque them tight enough.

It sucked, because they were literally the only bolts not rusted out on the truck. My impact wrench happily broke the heads off pretty much everything else it touched (engine mounts, hitch mounts, cab mounts, you name it), but the flex plate? Nuh-uh. I guess I should be happy it didn't break them too.
I have an air driven
mpact that is supposed to be good for up to 750 and that's still not enough. I really need to spring for an 1100 ft lbs DeWalt or Milwaukee. I had to break out the torch last time I did my brakes...