Tool guys let’s talk about what I should do

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

murphyreedus

Re: Tool guys let’s talk about what I should do

Post by murphyreedus » Wed May 25, 2022 8:58 am

Hanley wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 6:00 am Do you have a smoker or grill that needs cleaning (surely you do, right?).

You need a nice, small cordless shop vacuum:

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/ ... ms/0880-20

Of course - would be great for detailing the vehicles and cleaning up the gym too. You have it? Does it suck?

JonA

Post by JonA » Wed May 25, 2022 9:34 am

murphyreedus wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 8:58 am You have it[vacuum]? Does it suck?

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Wed May 25, 2022 9:43 am

murphyreedus wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 8:58 am
Hanley wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 6:00 am Do you have a smoker or grill that needs cleaning (surely you do, right?).

Of course - would be great for detailing the vehicles and cleaning up the gym too. You have it? Does it suck?
Well....I have a Makita, but I'm sure Milwaukee's is comparable.
I've found a mini, battery-powered shop vac to be pretty awesome.

Also awesome:. https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/ ... ls/2848-20

Busting out a big compressor for tires in stupid. You need the 18V inflator.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Wed May 25, 2022 10:02 am

yep, vacuum is handy for that application (smoker grill).

Also (gonna sound weird): clean up the kitchen counter tops.
Crumbs, spilled spices, salt, toaster debirs, rice grains. etc .... kids et al are slobs.
Rather than wipe the whole place down, I start with a vac job many times.

murphyreedus wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 8:58 am
sidebar:

The oddest thing:
My house is equipped with a central vac system.
Why on earth would they NOT put a vac-port right at the main canister unit in the garage? (for doing the interior on your car?)
This would cost almost nothing, all of the piping and wiring is right there....

I mean, when I empty the giant dust/trash canister of the central vac unit, there is a secondary filter, and some shit that gets stuck up inside ..... say every 3rd canister dump, I go the extra mile and I reach up inside and clean the 'insides' out.
I then have to go get my small shop vac (similar to what hanley has) to clean up the spilt mess. Fukken dum

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Wed May 25, 2022 11:13 am

mbasic wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:02 am
The oddest thing:
My house is equipped with a central vac system.
Why on earth would they NOT put a vac-port right at the main canister unit in the garage? (for doing the interior on your car?)
This would cost almost nothing, all of the piping and wiring is right there....

I mean, when I empty the giant dust/trash canister of the central vac unit, there is a secondary filter, and some shit that gets stuck up inside ..... say every 3rd canister dump, I go the extra mile and I reach up inside and clean the 'insides' out.
I then have to go get my small shop vac (similar to what hanley has) to clean up the spilt mess. Fukken dum
My house has a central vac. Never used it, never had the desire to. Lugging the stupid hose around is just as much work as a standalone vacuum. It does have a port in the garage, however.

JonA wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:34 am
murphyreedus wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 8:58 am You have it[vacuum]? Does it suck?
Hanley wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:43 am Busting out a big compressor for tires in stupid. You need the 18V inflator.
Does it blow?

Seriously, though, also on my wish list. Still considering the Ryobi handheld one since it's small enough I could throw in a saddle bag. It's also $25 right now, so not much to lose if it's junk.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-ONE-1 ... /307627867

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Wed May 25, 2022 7:54 pm

murphyreedus wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 11:13 amStill considering the Ryobi handheld one since it's small enough I could throw in a saddle bag. It's also $25 right now, so not much to lose if it's junk
The Milwaukee has a nice solid base and a cool digital display. I think you clearly need both the Ryobi and Milwaukee units.

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Wed May 25, 2022 9:51 pm

Hanley wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:54 pm The Milwaukee has a nice solid base and a cool digital display. I think you clearly need both the Ryobi and Milwaukee units.

I already ordered the Ryobi inflator and multi-surface hand vac.

mouse

Post by mouse » Thu May 26, 2022 2:24 am

Anybody have the Milwaukee quick-lock string trimmer? If so how do you like it?

I'm about to replace my old POS trimmer and my gut was telling me to go with either Stihl/Huskie because I wasn't finding too many decent deals on battery powered, but then I came across this. Looks like it would be the trimmer, blower, charger, and 8ah batt, and (it would appear) I can add on another 5ah batt for free even though it isn't advertised. Most of what I was finding as far as deals go didn't give me much confidence with the size of my property, but an 8ah+5ah should be more than enough to do my trimming in one shot...

This kinda throws a wrench it what I had pretty much decided to go do this weekend (gas powered) because I like the idea of the quick-lock attachments and I was kind of leaning towards Milwaukee for some other tool upgrades down the line anyway...

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M18-FUEL-Lithium-Ion-Brushless-Cordless-String-Trimmer-8-0Ah-Kit-w-QUIK-LOK-Attachment-Capability-M18-FUEL-Blower-2825-21ST-2724-20/309032488

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Thu May 26, 2022 8:11 am

mouse wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 2:24 am Anybody have the Milwaukee quick-lock string trimmer? If so how do you like it?
That's one of the things I just bought, but I haven't gotten to use it for real yet so not sure on the battery life. The pole saw attachment looks pretty sweet for trimming branches.

mouse

Post by mouse » Thu May 26, 2022 8:19 am

murphyreedus wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 8:11 am
mouse wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 2:24 am Anybody have the Milwaukee quick-lock string trimmer? If so how do you like it?
That's one of the things I just bought, but I haven't gotten to use it for real yet so not sure on the battery life. The pole saw attachment looks pretty sweet for trimming branches.
Oh shit I see that the trimmer/blower was in your list now...

Shortly after I posted that I just caved and ordered it. Basically after googling the edger/pole saw/hedge trimmers I can see it coming in handy a lot. Plus I somehow stumbled across a different offer that let me add a 6ah backup instead of the 5ah. Randos on the internet seem to report the 8ah is good for about 45 min - an hour worth of operating time which would be more than enough for me, but I guess we'll find out together hahaha

Hiphopapotamus

Post by Hiphopapotamus » Sat May 28, 2022 12:06 pm

Hi Tool Guise, long-time listener/first-time caller...

I need to break down and move my rack and I'm tired of using pliers to unbolt it so I want to get a crescent wrench set and maybe a ratchet set as well so I can start building my strategic tool reserve. Are there any specs I should look for when buying such as type of steel or features beyond number of wrenches/bits? Are tools a matter of you-get-what-you-pay-for so just stick to major name brands?

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Sat May 28, 2022 12:41 pm

Hiphopapotamus wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 12:06 pm Hi Tool Guise, long-time listener/first-time caller...

I need to break down and move my rack and I'm tired of using pliers to unbolt it so I want to get a crescent wrench set and maybe a ratchet set as well so I can start building my strategic tool reserve. Are there any specs I should look for when buying such as type of steel or features beyond number of wrenches/bits? Are tools a matter of you-get-what-you-pay-for so just stick to major name brands?
These things are glorious:

https://chadstoolbox.com/wera-050201040 ... r-19-24mm/

I also have Wera's socket/ratchet set. Really nice

Hiphopapotamus

Post by Hiphopapotamus » Sat May 28, 2022 12:51 pm

Hanley wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 12:41 pm
Hiphopapotamus wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 12:06 pm Hi Tool Guise, long-time listener/first-time caller...

These things are glorious:

https://chadstoolbox.com/wera-050201040 ... r-19-24mm/

I also have Wera's socket/ratchet set. Really nice
Cool, I'll check them out.

What do the number of teeth mean? Do more teeth = more torque/power hence easier to turn, or do more teeth = higher gearing therefore less turning distance needed to move the socket the same amount as a less-toothy gear?

Cellist

Post by Cellist » Sat May 28, 2022 1:04 pm

More teeth, smaller swing arc for tight spots like working on a car.

mouse

Post by mouse » Tue May 31, 2022 3:49 am

mouse wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 8:19 am
murphyreedus wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 8:11 am
Oh shit I see that the trimmer/blower was in your list now...

Shortly after I posted that I just caved and ordered it. Basically after googling the edger/pole saw/hedge trimmers I can see it coming in handy a lot. Plus I somehow stumbled across a different offer that let me add a 6ah backup instead of the 5ah. Randos on the internet seem to report the 8ah is good for about 45 min - an hour worth of operating time which would be more than enough for me, but I guess we'll find out together hahaha
Update... this thing is great.

8ah battery is enough to handle all the trimming and then most of if not all of the clean up. Didn't even really need to ever run the trimmer on its higher power setting, it chewed everything up just fine. I also ran out and picked up the hedge trimmer attachment which took some getting used but has now won me over as well. Very happy with them...

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Tue May 31, 2022 10:40 am

mouse wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 3:49 am
Update... this thing is great.

8ah battery is enough to handle all the trimming and then most of if not all of the clean up. Didn't even really need to ever run the trimmer on its higher power setting, it chewed everything up just fine. I also ran out and picked up the hedge trimmer attachment which took some getting used but has now won me over as well. Very happy with them...
I got to use mine this weekend, and concur. Way better than my gas unit. I think I'm going to end up the pole saw, edger, and hedge trimmer attachments. Debating buying them one at a time as I see deals vs just buying the whole kit at once. If it came with a free battery or something I'd probably already have ordered it:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M ... /310572271

mouse

Post by mouse » Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:02 pm

Unprompted Update: I am now slowly (quickly) 'further investing' (falling down the rabbit hole) in the M18 family and picked up the sawzall and the 1/4" impact to replace my not-that-old Craftsman...

I still need to pick up the edger... and I was stoked to find out they have a true brush cutter attachment coming and a bristle brush/rubber broom too. If I find myself flush with cash I totally see myself picking up the rubber broom just to confuse my neighbors when there's like an inch of snow in the driveway...

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:35 pm

I used my pole saw attachment this weekend. Worked great for trimming my trees. It doesn't replace a chainsaw, but worked well enough to chop up some of the thicker branches for fire wood.

Still haven't ordered the hedge trimmer attachment, but I probably should.

EggMcMuffin

Post by EggMcMuffin » Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:36 am

If you had to get one tool for woodworking that is small and can more or less do a little bit of everything, what would it be?

mouse

Post by mouse » Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:43 am

Anaphase wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:36 am If you had to get one tool for woodworking that is small and can more or less do a little bit of everything, what would it be?
This is a question with no answer...

Define 'woodworking' as you see it... because there really is no 'one tool'.

At the absolute most basic version of woodworking I can possibly think of you're going to need at least a drill/driver and some sort of saw.