Squat Depth (I know...)

Ask questions, post videos, help others not screw up

Moderators: mgil, d0uevenlift

5hout

Squat Depth (I know...)

Post by 5hout » Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:29 pm

I've gone full Zapruder film on this, so need less emotionally invest minds to take a look and rate the depth. Kicking myself b/c I definetly had another inch, but only 2nd day of squatting with wraps so my feel for depth is shaky. EDIT: I hate myself. I loaned out a bunch of 45s to a buddy b/c of 'Rona, and so I had to use 35s and small plates. I meant to put 10 more lbs on the bar.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Re: Squat Depth (I know...)

Post by Wilhelm » Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:40 pm

That's what, 460, 470? More?

First of all, that's awesome.

Since you ask, looks high to me.
I think you'd need more than another inch.

5hout

Post by 5hout » Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:45 pm

Wilhelm wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:40 pm That's what, 460, 470? More?

First of all, that's awesome.

Since you ask, looks high to me.
I think you'd need more than another inch.
490, unless I did the plate math wrong twice. 405+70+5+5+2.5+2.5

Thanks, I think I agree. Going to practice depth with wraps M/F and try for 500 next W or W after.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:51 pm

It’s difficult to tell from that angle and with the ambient lighting (I can’t see the hip crease clearly), but I’d also agree about an inch high.

FredM

Post by FredM » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:25 pm

Definitely post the video of you squatting 5 plates to depth in a wooden rack in a couple of weeks, cause that's bada**.

Might wanna try 3-2-0 tempos (or just warmup with them) -- that helps me second most after box squats for hitting depth (not sure if you have the space/equipment for those)

5hout

Post by 5hout » Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:43 am

Thanks! Will look into building a box and play with camera angles + lighter shorts for better contrast and visibility.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:52 am

yeah, it might be a tad high.
good news its NOT from a strength point of view, you just have to go a little deeper.
The grindy spot is higher, you seem to come out of the hole OK.

good job

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:17 am

5hout wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:43 am Thanks! Will look into building a box and play with camera angles + lighter shorts for better contrast and visibility.
Imo, the best way to record for depth, is fully side on, with the camera between standing hip and knee heights.

Pretty sure i've seen Nuckols say the same.

5hout

Post by 5hout » Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:22 pm

Changed pants and moved the camera over as far as I can before a table blocks half the view. Still think the camera height is a touch too high and because it's sort of angled not ideal, but such is life. I might do another lift in a few, but I'm damn proud of the grind on this one: EDIT 500

Last edited by 5hout on Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FredM

Post by FredM » Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:55 pm

5hout wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:22 pm Changed pants and moved the camera over as far as I can before a table blocks half the view. Still think the camera height is a touch too high and because it's sort of angled not ideal, but such is life. I might do another lift in a few, but I'm damn proud of the grind on this one:

Hell yeah. Looks good. Was that 500!?? Either way congrats on the depth and grind.

5hout

Post by 5hout » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:04 pm

@Fredm oops, edited the post, it was 500. Still grinning like a cat.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:59 am

Congratulations on 500. \o/

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:58 pm

Nice. I don't think you've got much of an issue.

My take has always been because depth is only a concern as far as side judging goes, unless you can sit your camera where the side judges' eyes will be you're putting yourself through needless worry.

The whole lighter pants (and suit) is a great point too. I recently bought myself a lighter blue Titan suit to replace my old black one.

Lastly, what I've noticed is if you can get your opener to very obvious depth, judges will quite often be more likely to pass your second and thirds. Your opener should be easy anyway, so there's no reason not to get unquestionable depth there. That can give you that little extra advantage.

GlasgowJock

Post by GlasgowJock » Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:32 pm

I know this is late, but I like how you keep good discipline not good morning your squat at maximal attempts 👍 :) you look built for squatting.

Fabstrong

Post by Fabstrong » Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:26 am

Looks very good imo. Maybe a little more depth but not a big deal.
What shoes are you wearing ?I've found some usefull models of squat shoes on https://betemusclee.com/meilleures-chaussures-squat/ I use them for doing squat and even deadlift and I had some nice muscle gains
Last edited by Fabstrong on Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

5hout

Post by 5hout » Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:57 am

Fabstrong wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:26 am Looks very good imo. Maybe a little more depth but not a big deal.
What shoes are you wearing ?
Do-Win 2 Strap model. I love them. I have pretty wide feet and found they are shaped well for me, but others complain about the width. The 2 straps make the laces basically optional.

Philbert

Post by Philbert » Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:29 pm

I think your depth is fine. Ideal for spotting depth on video is slightly behind (so the angle of the shot is perpendicular to the femur) and just above knee level. Placing the camera anterior and above the knee makes the squat look high. Anterior and below the knee makes it look deep. If the camera is posterior to a line perpendicular to the femur variations in height have the opposite effect. In your case the camera appears to be anterior and high, and it looks like you just kiss parallel. The "bury the first rep" strategy is good meet advice. Judging depth well is hard, and if you give the judges an excuse not to do it with your first rep they are usually happy.

5hout

Post by 5hout » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:40 am

For some reason I decided to film 505 from below knee height, and straight forward, but offset. Then I made the mistake of watching my video in-between lifts. Terrible idea. Got way into my head. 515 try 1, not too bad, but in the moment decided it was the worst rep in human history and only about half a squat. Should have called it there, but instead I push on. 515 round 2... good lord. Left wrap went on great, perfect height up the leg, 1st try, no issues. Right wrap un-spooled twice. Took 3 tries. Could not feel my left leg by the time I stood up. Belt on backwards. Dropped belt on ground belt while fixing. Now I can no longer feel either leg from the hip down. Fall forward unracking the bar. Takes 3 tries to get an OK brace. Do something that resembles a squat. Stand up. Whack plates into the hook while walking back in. Last week I dinged a hook while squatting 475 and it slide in enough that I barely had room to rack the bar, hence the duct tape preventing the hooks from sliding back and forth.

https://imgur.com/a/YspVANF

515 try 1
https://imgur.com/a/j8Z1Hwu

515 try 2
https://imgur.com/a/QjlZA1L

I guess my question is: I need a more practice at 80/90 %1rm for squats, with wraps for wrapping practice and just generally to get used to the big weights. In another thread people were discussing peaking strats for bench, doing doubles/singles at >80%rm. Bench though, for my weak bench, doesn't require the rigmarole of wraps or lead to quite the full body fatigue load. For squat peaking does this make sense:

Assuming:
1rm raw 465 (hereinafter 1rmr)
1rm wraps 505 (hereinafter 1rmw)
Each day sets done to RPE 8/8.5 (except front squats done 5x5xmedium weight)

Week 1:
M: Raw doubles at 80% 1rmr
W: Medium front squat day
F: Wrapped doubles at 80% 1rmw

Week 2:
M: Raw doubles at 85% 1rmr
F: Wrapped doubles at 85% 1rmw

Week 3:
M: Raw singles at 90% 1rmr
F: Wrapped singles at 90% 1rmw

Week 4: Medium/Medium/Medium week

Week 5:
M: Raw doubles at 85% 1rmr
F: Wrapped doubles at 85% 1rmw

Week 6:
M: Raw doubles at 90% 1rmr
F: Wrapped doubles at 90% 1rmw

Week 7:
M: Raw singles at %80 1rmr
W: Light front squat day
F: Max Day

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:57 pm

I think you maybe just need to practice everything exactly how you want to do it. Wrapping mistakes can happen, but if it's just another day at work - so to speak - then you are less likely to make those mistakes. Your problem is all mental, as you noted. I think that you have that 515 without a problem if you take your head out of it. You are cuttinng the depth because you don't trust that you'll get it. Does it FEEL heavy? Walkouts with 600 or so solve that problem. If it feels light, it doesn't get in your head the same. Personally, I don't like to do the math while I'm lifting, i just count "Wheels" and change. I figure out what I lifted after the fact normally. I don't even like the numbers facing me in training, I like the smooth side in so that I don't get in my own head with the numbers. But seriously, I think you have it strength wise, your head is just interferring.

5hout

Post by 5hout » Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:59 pm

Hardartery wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:57 pm I think you maybe just need to practice everything exactly how you want to do it. Wrapping mistakes can happen, but if it's just another day at work - so to speak - then you are less likely to make those mistakes. Your problem is all mental, as you noted. I think that you have that 515 without a problem if you take your head out of it. You are cuttinng the depth because you don't trust that you'll get it. Does it FEEL heavy?
I think this is very much the crux. My records are shit, but I have wrapped for heavy squats somewhere between 10 and 20 times. I've walked out 475 or greater between 6 and 10 times. Need to practice wrapping and walking out heavy squats until that isn't basically a max effort exertion. Lack of confidence in brace/feeling way too heavy => crap back angle control => not sitting back => cutting depth. Ohh well, next month.

Thanks!

EDIT: Also, due to grabbing the wrong size pipes at the Home Depot I did not have any backup safety pipes. Meaning I knew that any bailed squat = pipe substantially bending, and a hard failure... idk. Got parts in mail today to fix the safeties so I'm less worried about them failing.