Admiral Ackbar Thread [trap bar]

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

MPat

Re: Admiral Ackbar Thread [trap bar]

Post by MPat » Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:23 pm

Does anyone know what the distance is between these handles?

Skander

Post by Skander » Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:32 pm

Random question: the Titan rickshaw has the feet welded to the pins, and that whole thing bolts to the rest of it. I wonder if you could get long enough bolt on weight horns to just turn it into an open trap bar...

MPat

Post by MPat » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:02 pm

mgil wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:42 am Wright Equipment has overstock on their trap bar on sale:

https://wright-equipment.com/collection ... c-trap-bar

It’s pipe construction, American made, looks robust. A pretty solid deal for $185.
Emailed them about handle spaceing, really quick reply. 24” between handles. Seems like a damn nice bar, if I didn’t just buy refrigerant leak detector for work this thing would be on its way to me.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:50 am

@MPat, that’s good to know.

I actually ordered one. $50 for shipping. I’ll post a review of sorts when it arrives.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:21 am

I received the Wright Equipment trap bar today.

First impressions:

-Reasonably well built, but definitely built to a price point.

-It looks like it was in storage for quite a while. There’s a couple of spots where rust has crept through, but nothing a couple minutes with the rattle can won’t sort out.

-It’s a rack-able trap bar. I wasn’t expecting that as I guess I’d missed that in the description. It wasn’t a key feature for me, but it’s a nice bonus, imo. Does make the bar a bit more unwieldy. ETA: this is not listed as a feature on their website.

-The grips are larger diameter than a normal barbell. I’d guess around 32mm. The knurl is pretty mild, which is fine by me. The first trap bar I ever used has the nastiest knurl I’ve ever encountered even now. Way more bite than OPB and TPB bars.

-I’ll load it up later this week (with light weights because I’m weak) and report back.

Inverstone

Post by Inverstone » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:23 pm

Does anyone have a method or link to a squat cage attachment that'll allow me to rack a short CAP style hex bar? I've though about having something welded up but maybe there's an easier/cheaper way? Thanks.

gtl

Post by gtl » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:05 am

Inverstone wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:23 pm Does anyone have a method or link to a squat cage attachment that'll allow me to rack a short CAP style hex bar? I've though about having something welded up but maybe there's an easier/cheaper way? Thanks.
You could get offset jhooks that come in narrower than the rack?

Inverstone

Post by Inverstone » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:44 pm

Thanks gti. I haven't found anything on line...any links you know of? I've done some searches but haven't found anything that'll work, yet. Someday I hope to afford a reachable quality Trap bar. Maybe a sling of some sort...in the short term or some other tentative Rube Goldberg ideas...

Looking forward to your Wright review. That seems like a really reasonable price mgil.

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:02 pm

@Inverstone

What do you want to do with the trap bar in the rack? If you're just going presses you can just rack the sleeves on the safeties, though it is annoying to load the bar.

MPat

Post by MPat » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:43 am

Main thinhe I like about the rackable trap bar is two fold.

1) I can put it in the rack to get my first set of plates on easily. (Laziness I know)

2) the non-rackable ones always seem to have really short sleeves which sucks for bumper plates.

I had the Titan rackable trap bar, it was big as shit and a pain to get out of my DIY pvc verticals bar holders. The wright-equipment bar is just as tall, but it doesn’t have the high handles. Maybe that makes it a little easier to handle. I don’t see myself ever using high handles, and I guess if I really wanted that effect I could rack pull with the rackable bar.

Inverstone

Post by Inverstone » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:05 pm

Yeah, mine is too short to place on the safety pins with this Powertec rack. I mostly would like to be able to remove the lst 45s more easily while it's in a racked position (rack pulls/presses, etc.) for back off sets, etc. It's not a huge deal, as I have other parallel grip BBs but it would be nice/convenient at times. I'll get around to coming up with something to make it rackable eventually. Offset J hooks or short pins when I can get together with my welding buddy.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:25 pm

@Inverstone what about a decent set of jack stands?

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:30 pm

Wright Equipment bar session feedback:

-Width inside the grips is pretty good. Maybe a smidge tight for me but likely fine for most people.

-Knurl is too soft. The grips are also too thick. This was fine up to 330lbs, but I didn’t like the feedback at 380 so I used some straps. Not a huge deal really, but something to take note of.

-Feels sturdy at the light weights I was using. I did some drops for good measure.

-You will need the axle sized collars. I have the Lockjaw brand ones and they work just fine.

-From a movement perspective, this is much better **for me** than conventional bar stuff. Between the hip and back, I am able to position myself much better for the initial pull.

-Lack of stability in the sagittal plane is bullshit.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:16 am

Inverstone wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:23 pm Does anyone have a method or link to a squat cage attachment that'll allow me to rack a short CAP style hex bar? I've though about having something welded up but maybe there's an easier/cheaper way? Thanks.
what exercise are you going ? ( in the rack w/ a trap bar)

curious?

Inverstone

Post by Inverstone » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:07 pm

I didn't even think of squat stands (duh) all wrapped up in "inventing something" for the rack itself. (offset j hooks, etc.).

It's certainly no big deal but having the hex bar at a higher level than the floor would be nice-sometimes. Could do some rack pulls and a place to place the bar between farmer's carry sets without having to pick it up from the floor/ground level every time. (I'm nearing 69 yrs. young)...the rack's just inside the gym shed door. There are times I'd like to be able to just instantly strip off a 45 without a deadlift jack for descending sets but it's just a lazy/convenience really.

I'll just pick up a couple of stands or make 'em. Been using boxes but need the storage space and adjustable height... Sometimes the obvious escapes me. Started out with a rack a decade+ ago and never owning stands I kinda forgot about 'em. Thanks mgil. Also thanks for your review on the Wright Bar.

I agree with what you're experiencing back/position wise. I have a couple of fused vertebrae from teen years and although I still straight bar deadlift, the Trap Bar has been very helpful and produces some hypertrophy in areas that the straight bar doesn't (more quad, more obliques) stimulation. I'm using it solely for this 6-8 week cycle. I'm cutting so it's helped in keeping my deadlift volume up in a deficit a bit more too.

tsor

Post by tsor » Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:29 am

mgil wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:42 am Wright Equipment has overstock on their trap bar on sale:

It’s pipe construction, American made, looks robust. A pretty solid deal for $185.
Thanks for the heads up, mgil. I've been looking to pick one up for a while. Purchased.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:30 pm

tsor wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:29 am

Thanks for the heads up, mgil. I've been looking to pick one up for a while. Purchased.
Glad to help!

hector

Post by hector » Sun Jul 16, 2023 6:35 pm

mgil wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:30 pm Wright Equipment bar session feedback:

-Width inside the grips is pretty good. Maybe a smidge tight for me but likely fine for most people.

-Knurl is too soft. The grips are also too thick. This was fine up to 330lbs, but I didn’t like the feedback at 380 so I used some straps. Not a huge deal really, but something to take note of.

-Feels sturdy at the light weights I was using. I did some drops for good measure.

-You will need the axle sized collars. I have the Lockjaw brand ones and they work just fine.

-From a movement perspective, this is much better **for me** than conventional bar stuff. Between the hip and back, I am able to position myself much better for the initial pull.

-Lack of stability in the sagittal plane is bullshit.
Yes!
Where did Egypt get this idea? WTf?
Went to commercial gyms for decades and never saw someone wobble left and right while using a trap bar.

*I apologize for resurfacing a long buried thread. I was seeing if anyone had already done a thread on advantages of straight bar vs trap bar deadlifting.

BostonRugger
Edging Lord

Post by BostonRugger » Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:55 am

I have the Bells of Steel option from OP. Nothing special, but just fine for a budget offering. 25mm bar, high and low handles, normal size/function barbell sleeves. The self-jacking feature is very nice to have. I use it more for volume work than for heavy singles/doubles so typically not using more than low 400s. Have loaded it up to ~500 and didn't notice any issue with the bar. They're up to $300 now, but a good option if you don't want to shell out $850+ for the Eleiko.