Bar cleaning/maintenance

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

DannyP

Bar cleaning/maintenance

Post by DannyP » Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:00 pm

Realized that I've had my equipment about 4mos and never really cleaned my bar... I wiped it with a damp cloth to get chalk out of the knurling, then dried, then sprayed with some WD40. Anything else that I should/should not do? Should I get some kind of brush (like a golf brush or something)? I think the knurling has worn down a bit and whatever steps I can take to keep it from degrading further would obviously be good... Could also just feel that way from there being some of that lovely chalk/sweat/dead skin cocktail still in the grooves.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Re: Bar cleaning/maintenance

Post by mgil » Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:05 pm

Stiff nylon brush is usually all you need.

That being said, I’ve have my bars for about 4 years and done zero maintenance on them.

ETA - Example:

Warner 5x11 Row, Nylon Stripper Brush, 3410491

DannyP

Post by DannyP » Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:11 pm

mgil wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:05 pm Stiff nylon brush is usually all you need.

That being said, I’ve have my bars for about 4 years and done zero maintenance on them.

ETA - Example:

Warner 5x11 Row, Nylon Stripper Brush, 3410491
Thanks, will pick one of those up!

When you say "zero maintenance" does that mean you don't even give them a good wipe-down? Now that I work out at home, I don't think much about wiping stuff down, since there's nobody else's sweat to gross me out, and nobody else to be grossed out by mine...

TimF

Post by TimF » Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:41 pm

I used some 3 in 1 oil and a nylon brush. Got all the skin gunk and chalk out with no issues.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:46 pm

I have a nylon brush for a quickie cleaning of chalk, but i almost never use chalk.
More i'm concerned about the aforementioned skin and oil.

I favor a small,toothbrush sized head, brass brush, and 3 in One electric motor oil, which is lighter than the regular 3 in One.
I do this less than once a month, probably not going much longer than every 2 months.

The knurl always feels a little grippier after cleaning.
I clean the bar on my spotter arms, and use a fair bit of oil, effectively as a solvent.
while rolling the bar along the spotters, I'll brush the oil out toward one end, scrubbing the knurl, mop it up there, then the same for the other half.
The oil will be dark when it gets to the ends.
The best rag i've found for drying the bar is old denim.
It doesn't leave lint in the knurl, and i can twist and press at the same time pretty firmly because of that.

Of course, don't use a brass brush on a coated bar.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:49 pm

DannyP wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:11 pm When you say "zero maintenance" does that mean you don't even give them a good wipe-down? Now that I work out at home, I don't think much about wiping stuff down, since there's nobody else's sweat to gross me out, and nobody else to be grossed out by mine...
I think it took me at least 4 years before I even got a brush to use on my bar.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:11 pm

@DannyP, I might wipe off excess sweat but that’s a rare occurrence.

Skander

Post by Skander » Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:33 am

Right now it's so humid I'm laying down a ton of chalk every session on my bearing bar, so I've been brushing the bar out almost every session, but normally I get around to it 1-2 times a month, and oil max 1/month.

On my SS power bar which I only use for squats and bench, I almost never do anything since I rarely chalk it.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:19 am

mgil wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:11 pm I might wipe off excess sweat

but that’s a rare occurrence.
the wiping?

or

the sweatingening?

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:24 am

Wiping, obviously

gtl

Post by gtl » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:01 am

I actually use a wire brush on my OPB. I don't really do maintenance, but I brush the chalk off after deadlifts.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:21 pm

Is it ever really necessary to take the bar apart for cleaning? I keep seeing warnings/disclaimers about disassembly when browsing for cleaning kits, and wondered why I would ever need to fiddle with the innards of the sleeves.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:08 pm

Renascent wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:21 pm Is it ever really necessary to take the bar apart for cleaning? I keep seeing warnings/disclaimers about disassembly when browsing for cleaning kits, and wondered why I would ever need to fiddle with the innards of the sleeves.
I wouldn't unless the sleeves stopped spinning freely.
And i have a hard time imagining that happening unless the bar was basically left out in the rain or abandoned in a humid spot for a long time
I've had my OPB nearly 4 years, and have put a spot of oil on the bushings a few times.
May have just made it dirtier lol.
A few drops is all you should use if you feel you must, In my non expert opinion.
Never taken it apart.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:52 pm

Wilhelm wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:08 pm
Renascent wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:21 pm Is it ever really necessary to take the bar apart for cleaning? I keep seeing warnings/disclaimers about disassembly when browsing for cleaning kits, and wondered why I would ever need to fiddle with the innards of the sleeves.
I wouldn't unless the sleeves stopped spinning freely.
And i have a hard time imagining that happening unless the bar was basically left out in the rain or abandoned in a humid spot for a long time
I've had my OPB nearly 4 years, and have put a spot of oil on the bushings a few times.
May have just made it dirtier lol.
A few drops is all you should use if you feel you must, In my non expert opinion.
Never taken it apart.
Kinda what I figured. I'm not even inclined to risk scratching up the end caps to take the thing apart, so I'll likely never bother.

Just feeling a bit of owner's guilt. I've had my bar for barely five months, and I'm seeing rust spots from sweat droplets. Honestly didn't think I'd care if it ever started looking a little used.

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:28 pm

DannyP wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:00 pm Realized that I've had my equipment about 4mos and never really cleaned my bar... I wiped it with a damp cloth to get chalk out of the knurling, then dried, then sprayed with some WD40. Anything else that I should/should not do? Should I get some kind of brush (like a golf brush or something)? I think the knurling has worn down a bit and whatever steps I can take to keep it from degrading further would obviously be good... Could also just feel that way from there being some of that lovely chalk/sweat/dead skin cocktail still in the grooves.
I have taken apart my bars for maintenance. I would suggest maybe once or twice a year. You need: Snap Ring Pliers and to be careful with order you take things out. I use 3 and 1 oil not WD40. 3 in 1 does not attract as much dust.

DO NOT TAKE APART A BEARINGS BAR. I think you just drop in some oil. TX power bars are harder to take apart

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:56 pm

I use chalk. I give my bars a quick scrub with a nylon brush when I’m done. No rust. They are all bare steel.
Home has AC

AdamSkillin

Post by AdamSkillin » Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:01 pm

Am I the only one who likes a fine brass-bristled brush so much more than nylon?

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:10 pm

AdamSkillin wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:01 pm Am I the only one who likes a fine brass-bristled brush so much more than nylon?
Nope.

That's what i use.
I keep one dry for right after a session in which i use chalk, and one i use when i oil/clean the bar.
I use the oil as a solvent, brushing out to the ends and mopping up the excess there.

Culican

Post by Culican » Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:05 pm

It may be 111F outside at 6pm right now but the relative humidity is only 18% (inside with the AC on it's even dryer). I rarely ever clean off the chalk and nothing rusts.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:14 am

zappey1 wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:28 pm
DannyP wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:00 pm Realized that I've had my equipment about 4mos and never really cleaned my bar... I wiped it with a damp cloth to get chalk out of the knurling, then dried, then sprayed with some WD40. Anything else that I should/should not do? Should I get some kind of brush (like a golf brush or something)? I think the knurling has worn down a bit and whatever steps I can take to keep it from degrading further would obviously be good... Could also just feel that way from there being some of that lovely chalk/sweat/dead skin cocktail still in the grooves.
I have taken apart my bars for maintenance. I would suggest maybe once or twice a year. You need: Snap Ring Pliers and to be careful with order you take things out. I use 3 and 1 oil not WD40. 3 in 1 does not attract as much dust.

DO NOT TAKE APART A BEARINGS BAR. I think you just drop in some oil. TX power bars are harder to take apart
I'm wondering who here has the least expensive pair of snap ring pliers that they are still completely happy with for use on rings of this size/stiffness.

If you have the time to post links, that would be great.