Does anyone else hate Cerakote bars?

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

ChasingCurls69

Does anyone else hate Cerakote bars?

Post by ChasingCurls69 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:20 am

I'm starting to think these bars are terrible for deadlifts. For whatever reason my grip is demonstrably better on bars with any other coating, but since Rogue is shitting the bed it's impossible to get an OPB right now and I'm not sure what other bar is comparable.

AllM1ght

Re: Does anyone else hate Cerakote bars?

Post by AllM1ght » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:07 am

Never tried one, it doesn't look great though.

I've use bare steel, cheap coats I've no idea what they were that were horrible.

Black zinc on Ivanko power was okay
Whatever they put on eleiko training weightlifting.. Not sure if stainless or just high quality coat.

My current home gym bar is an Atx competition power bar with a Nickel-phosphor coating, that one is excellent.
I think Elite FTS also use this coating on their power bar?

ChasingCurls69

Post by ChasingCurls69 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:48 am

Black zinc is the one Rogue keeps getting back in stock, so I may just order it next time I get the chance. Stainless steel would be ideal, but they don't seem to be making any fancy bars right now. I think stainless is what they had when I was at Hybrid Performance for a few workouts, but not 100% sure.

mouse

Post by mouse » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:53 am

I got to play around with one once in MD... didn't 'hate' it but I wouldn't pay extra for it. Not sure how it would effect grip but it's a common complaint from what I see...

I have a black zinc OPB and it's fine...

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:28 am

FWIW, most manufacturers are still having issues getting in materials. Buddy Capps is getting raked over the coals on google reviews because they can’t ship stuff out.

With that being said, bare steel (stainless or otherwise) seems to offer the best overall grip holding everything else constant.

I mentioned Capps because for a while they were shipping out some TPBs. When available, they are also a great option.

AllM1ght

Post by AllM1ght » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:36 am

mgil wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:28 am FWIW, most manufacturers are still having issues getting in materials. Buddy Capps is getting raked over the coals on google reviews because they can’t ship stuff out.

With that being said, bare steel (stainless or otherwise) seems to offer the best overall grip holding everything else constant.

I mentioned Capps because for a while they were shipping out some TPBs. When available, they are also a great option.
Sadly not relevant to the OP
But https://www.thegymrevolution.co.uk get massive praise from me for shipping my 6 week pre-ordered bar, within 2 weeks.
Was very surprised when it turned up a month early

TwoFoursStrohm

Post by TwoFoursStrohm » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:34 am

ChasingCurls69 wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:20 am I'm starting to think these bars are terrible for deadlifts. For whatever reason my grip is demonstrably better on bars with any other coating, but since Rogue is shitting the bed it's impossible to get an OPB right now and I'm not sure what other bar is comparable.

Have you tried cerakote Ohio deadlift bar? Is it crappy too?

Wayne

Post by Wayne » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:38 pm

AllM1ght wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:07 am Never tried one, it doesn't look great though.

I've use bare steel, cheap coats I've no idea what they were that were horrible.

Whatever they put on eleiko training weightlifting.. Not sure if stainless or just high quality coat.

My current home gym bar is an Atx competition power bar with a Nickel-phosphor coating, that one is excellent.
How are you finding the competition barbell vs stainless alternatives? I couldn’t find much about the comp bar online.

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:11 pm

I have not yet held a cerakote bar. I can't stand black zinc, though. I pretty much exclusively pull DOH, and there's something about the slick feel of black zinc, plus the filling in it does on the knurl, that just gets to me.

I have a Dynamic Badger bar that has clear zinc, and with the same knurling it seems much grippier than the black zinc on their Men's Oly bar. I'm not sure if it just applies thinner or what, but it's definitely better to grip.

AllM1ght

Post by AllM1ght » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:25 pm

Wayne wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:38 pm
AllM1ght wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:07 am Never tried one, it doesn't look great though.

How are you finding the competition barbell vs stainless alternatives? I couldn’t find much about the comp bar online.
Unless the eleiko's in my old gym were stainless I've not used a stainless I don't think.
This Bar is the closest to bare steel I've used, probably barely discernible and the best knurl I've had on any bar.

The only comparable stainless bar online for the U.K would be the Ohio power bar stainless.. which is 150 British more expensive

ryanc

Post by ryanc » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:28 pm

I bought a 20 kg stainless Ohio Power Bar about 2 weeks ago from Rogue. A barbell was all I was short to complete my home gym so I had been watching the Rogue site pretty closely for a month. I wanted an uncoated bar. I don't live in a humid area so a regular bare steel bar would have been an option, but I was about to give in and go with black zinc when I got lucky. Anyway, they must be making a few.

ChasingCurls69

Post by ChasingCurls69 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:14 pm

ryanc wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:28 pm I bought a 20 kg stainless Ohio Power Bar about 2 weeks ago from Rogue. A barbell was all I was short to complete my home gym so I had been watching the Rogue site pretty closely for a month. I wanted an uncoated bar. I don't live in a humid area so a regular bare steel bar would have been an option, but I was about to give in and go with black zinc when I got lucky. Anyway, they must be making a few.
Fuck, must've missed it since I think I only had the update set for 45lbs.
TwoFoursStrohm wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:34 am Have you tried cerakote Ohio deadlift bar? Is it crappy too?
I haven't tried the DL bar in cerakote. I think we have the black zinc DL bar, but I haven't used it because they always use the standard OPB at meets. With the regular one it feels like the material is slippery and fills in the knurl, so I imagine it'd be similar. Some time last year everyone decided to stop getting normal bars for the gyms and just buy cerakote.

TwoFoursStrohm

Post by TwoFoursStrohm » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:39 pm

I guess it's cheaper than stainless and holds up almost as well? Lack of grip stinks

Skander

Post by Skander » Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:12 am

AllM1ght wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:25 pm
Unless the eleiko's in my old gym were stainless I've not used a stainless I don't think.
I'm not 100% sure, but I believe Eleiko only does hard chrome. It feels decent, but I find chalk is 100% necessary. Otherwise it is actual kind of slick.
I actually like the feel of my pendlay bar which by now is probably basically bare steel. Originally I think it was bright zinc but no way that's still on there.

AllM1ght

Post by AllM1ght » Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:08 am

Skander wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:12 am
I'm not 100% sure, but I believe Eleiko only does hard chrome. It feels decent, but I find chalk is 100% necessary. Otherwise it is actual kind of slick.
I actually like the feel of my pendlay bar which by now is probably basically bare steel. Originally I think it was bright zinc but no way that's still on there.
Yeah I think you are right. I'm not sure if their comp power bars are different to their wirghtlifting ones.

ryanc

Post by ryanc » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:35 am

ChasingCurls69 wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:14 pm Fuck, must've missed it since I think I only had the update set for 45lbs.
The notification is how I got it. I'd been wondering if they were even sending them out because I had them set on a bunch of bars and had never heard anything. Then, two weeks ago as I was walking out the door to work, I got the notification they were in stock. Dropped everything and ordered as fast as I could.

Wayne

Post by Wayne » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:53 pm

This Bar is the closest to bare steel I've used, probably barely discernible and the best knurl I've had on any bar.

The only comparable stainless bar online for the U.K would be the Ohio power bar stainless.. which is 150 British more expensive
Hey, thanks for the response. Have you used the RAM bar before to compare knurl?

ccoyle

Post by ccoyle » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:57 pm

ChasingCurls69 wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:20 am I'm starting to think these bars are terrible for deadlifts. For whatever reason my grip is demonstrably better on bars with any other coating, but since Rogue is shitting the bed it's impossible to get an OPB right now and I'm not sure what other bar is comparable.
I've been using an American Barbell Cerakote Training Bar (28mm) to deadlift for a year now, To me, no less grippy than the AB hard chrome Power Bar I used for a few years before that.

The only slight difference I've noticed, lately, is in hot, humid conditions. I seem to be chalking up at lower weight than I did with the chrome bar.

This could also be a brand-specific interaction of knurling and cerakote. AB knurling is finer and less aggressive than other bars I've used.

The AB is the only cerakote bar I've used.

ChasingCurls69

Post by ChasingCurls69 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:38 pm

TwoFoursStrohm wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:39 pm I guess it's cheaper than stainless and holds up almost as well? Lack of grip stinks
Definitrly cheaper than stainless, but I'm not sure if it holds up better than the black zinc which looks pretty normal and doesn't seem to have issues with the knurling. I think everyone just liked the aesthetic.

AllM1ght

Post by AllM1ght » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:51 pm

Wayne wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:53 pm

Hey, thanks for the response. Have you used the RAM bar before to compare knurl?
Sadly not, though my friend whose used every bar under the sun at one point or another had great things to say about the RAM