What’s on Netflix?!?

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Re: What’s on Netflix?!?

Post by aurelius » Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:17 pm

omaniphil wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:47 amYou're right that her temperament is different than LOTR, but if you've read any of the additional material that @5hout was talking about, Galadriel's temperament is pretty inline with how Tolkien had conceived her.
Agreed. I think it is hilarious that online trolls that never read the books are upset that a character has a different temperament after THOUSANDS OF FUCKING YEARS.

It is hilarious for people to argue 'this is not canon' when there is no canon. Tolkien never printed a cohesive story or narrative of the 2nd age. The Silmarillion covers the 1st age and that was put together by his son.

omaniphil

Post by omaniphil » Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:03 pm

Just watched episode 3 of the Rings of Power.

I've seen enough. Sauron is
SpoilerShow
Halbrand. The sweet talking to Pharazon, the desire to help the blacksmiths, etc.

omaniphil

Post by omaniphil » Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:29 pm

omaniphil wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:03 pm Just watched episode 3 of the Rings of Power.

I've seen enough. Sauron is
SpoilerShow
Halbrand. The sweet talking to Pharazon, the desire to help the blacksmiths, etc.
SpoilerShow
I posted that when still halfway through the episode. Changed my mind. Witch King is more likely. Fuck. I have no clue.

OrderInChaos

Post by OrderInChaos » Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:23 pm

@omaniphil you digging as much as I am? I’m surprised. The Numenor plot is good and even the proto Hobbits aren’t too irritating. It’s not exactly Jackson-Tolkien in visuals and tone but It’s a better watch then a lot out there.

omaniphil

Post by omaniphil » Sat Sep 10, 2022 6:03 pm

OrderInChaos wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:23 pm @omaniphil you digging as much as I am? I’m surprised. The Numenor plot is good and even the proto Hobbits aren’t too irritating. It’s not exactly Jackson-Tolkien in visuals and tone but It’s a better watch then a lot out there.
I'm a huge Tolkien nerd, and have been looking forward to the show for years. I think it's good, but not sure if it will be great, but it has potential. It skips around in style a little bit, trying at times to be Peter Jackson-ish, at other times to be a little more gritty, like GOT. I wish it would settle a little closer to the Jackson line, but we will see how it develops.

JonA

Post by JonA » Sun Sep 11, 2022 6:38 am

omaniphil wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 6:03 pm
OrderInChaos wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:23 pm @omaniphil you digging as much as I am? I’m surprised. The Numenor plot is good and even the proto Hobbits aren’t too irritating. It’s not exactly Jackson-Tolkien in visuals and tone but It’s a better watch then a lot out there.
I'm a huge Tolkien nerd, and have been looking forward to the show for years. I think it's good, but not sure if it will be great, but it has potential. It skips around in style a little bit, trying at times to be Peter Jackson-ish, at other times to be a little more gritty, like GOT. I wish it would settle a little closer to the Jackson line, but we will see how it develops.
Same here. Although, I grew up loving the Ralph Bakshi versions on video disc checked out from the library, so my standards are....well, they are what they are.

hsilman
✓ Registered User

Post by hsilman » Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:18 am

We just watched the first episode of RoP. It's hard to get yourself into the mindset of someone who doesn't really know Tolkein, but watching with my wife is great. She has seen the extended trilogy once and that's it. Episode did a great job of reminding her of stuff and bringing her back into the world. I paused 2-3 times to ask if she remembered who XYZ was, and she was able to follow along just fine.

Definitely looking forward to the rest.

GlasgowJock

Post by GlasgowJock » Sun Sep 11, 2022 11:47 pm

omaniphil wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:34 am I liked the first couple of seasons of Star Trek Discovery, and the first season of Picard was ok, but the last two seasons of Discovery and the current season of Picard have been hot trash. Could we please just let up on the woke preachiness?

Therefore, I wasn't expecting much when I started Star Trek Strange New Worlds last night which follows the Pike and Spock characters that were introduced in season 2 of Discovery. Its pretty great so far though! Seems very true to the spirit of TOS, which is awesome. Anson Mount stole every scene he was in Discovery as Pike, and he does it again here. Highly recommend it.
Wife and I started ST:SNW over the weekend. It's quite enjoyable and lightweight, very much in the spirit of TOS. I try not to read anything about the series (like shoe horning the first legally blind actor to play a blind species, or ensuring Pike is different from previous captains who displayed 'overt toxic masculinity') as I want to be entertained not preached to.

Initially was going to watch it myself as Paramount plus is now free with Sky Cinema though unfortunately can't stream P+ with Sky Go :roll: Discovery and Picard on P+ too so lots of Star Trek to get stuck into.

hector

Post by hector » Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:19 pm

GlasgowJock wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 11:47 pm
omaniphil wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:34 am I liked the first couple of seasons of Star Trek Discovery, and the first season of Picard was ok, but the last two seasons of Discovery and the current season of Picard have been hot trash. Could we please just let up on the woke preachiness?

Therefore, I wasn't expecting much when I started Star Trek Strange New Worlds last night which follows the Pike and Spock characters that were introduced in season 2 of Discovery. Its pretty great so far though! Seems very true to the spirit of TOS, which is awesome. Anson Mount stole every scene he was in Discovery as Pike, and he does it again here. Highly recommend it.
Wife and I started ST:SNW over the weekend. It's quite enjoyable and lightweight, very much in the spirit of TOS. I try not to read anything about the series (like shoe horning the first legally blind actor to play a blind species, or ensuring Pike is different from previous captains who displayed 'overt toxic masculinity') as I want to be entertained not preached to.

Initially was going to watch it myself as Paramount plus is now free with Sky Cinema though unfortunately can't stream P+ with Sky Go :roll: Discovery and Picard on P+ too so lots of Star Trek to get stuck into.
Are they saying Picard had overt toxic masculinity?

GlasgowJock

Post by GlasgowJock » Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:27 pm

hector wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:19 pm Are they saying Picard had overt toxic masculinity?
I'll try dig up the link out of idle curiosity though yes, yes 'they' did.

I guess he checked his male privilege in ST:P ?

hector

Post by hector » Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:21 am

GlasgowJock wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:27 pm
hector wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:19 pm Are they saying Picard had overt toxic masculinity?
I'll try dig up the link out of idle curiosity though yes, yes 'they' did.

I guess he checked his male privilege in ST:P ?
Wow. (No need to look it up.)
I never got that vibe from Picard.

augeleven

Post by augeleven » Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:37 pm

Hopped on the treadmill and forgot today was Rings of Power day.

Fired up Netflix and Rob Zombie’s Munsters reboot is there, staring into my soul.

As I press play, any lingering iota of self-respect dissipates.

hsilman
✓ Registered User

Post by hsilman » Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:27 pm

Haven't watched today's episode of RoP, but caught up other than that.

It's....fine.

Obvious issues, not some spectacular show that will define generations but it's fine and enjoyable to watch.

GlasgowJock

Post by GlasgowJock » Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:00 am

Just finished watching Evan Peter's portrayal as Jeffrey Dahmer on Netflix. Meh, decent enough, Peters suits these roles from his work on the AHS franchise.

Last two episodes it kind of fizzles out though, not sure I agree with his killer Christopher Scarver's portrayal tbh.

hector

Post by hector » Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:57 am

Watching Baki on Netflix. Anime series about different styles of martial arts practitioners constantly fighting eachother. Until about 30 episodes in they go to China where Japanese and Americans team up to fight the Chinese.
Not sure if I would casually watch it on television. But it's perfect for watching during cardio.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:28 am

Andor might be the best Star Wars thing since Mando season 1.

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:24 am

RoP: Maybe I’m not a big enough Tolkien nerd to enjoy this? I loved (and still annually watch) LotR, and I consider The Hobbit trilogy good but not great (but still always watch it after LotR).

The overall story is big and important, and the visuals and action are great. But every time 2 characters talk to eachother for 10 minutes straight I almost fall asleep. The dialogue keeps trying to be epic or quotable, but they’re not really saying anything to move the story forward and it’s just boring.

hector wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:57 am Watching Baki on Netflix. Anime series about different styles of martial arts practitioners constantly fighting eachother. Until about 30 episodes in they go to China where Japanese and Americans team up to fight the Chinese.
Not sure if I would casually watch it on television. But it's perfect for watching during cardio.
I finally started Demon Slayer. Baki’s been on my list too.

And +1 to “shows I watch” vs “shows I watch during cardio“

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:12 am

After 7 episodes of She Hulk being a quirky girl show, it’s finally gaining traction.

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:17 pm

broseph wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:24 am RoP: Maybe I’m not a big enough Tolkien nerd to enjoy this? I loved (and still annually watch) LotR, and I consider The Hobbit trilogy good but not great (but still always watch it after LotR).

The overall story is big and important, and the visuals and action are great. But every time 2 characters talk to eachother for 10 minutes straight I almost fall asleep. The dialogue keeps trying to be epic or quotable, but they’re not really saying anything to move the story forward and it’s just boring.
I have enjoyed it. But you are not wrong. Something needed to happen and something did in the latest episode. The series brought the majority of the characters together and had action. If this is a sign of how the last two episodes (only 8 episode season) will play out it will finish strong.
mgil wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:12 amAfter 7 episodes of She Hulk being a quirky girl show, it’s finally gaining traction.
I've enjoyed She Hulk. But we need more Tim Roth.

augeleven

Post by augeleven » Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:22 pm

aurelius wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:17 pm I've enjoyed She Hulk. But we need more Tim Roth.
SpoilerShow
I can’t imagine that he is not the big bad for the season. Should be an interesting couple of episodes left