What’s on Netflix?!?

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

omaniphil

Re: What’s on Netflix?!?

Post by omaniphil » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:50 pm

jake wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:27 am I'm also rewatching TNG. The early episodes are mesmerizing. I even like Q a bit more.
Q's not bad. I think the character is awful, but whenever he's around, Star Trek really does a lot more with the humanistic storylines which are what make Star Trek, well, Star Trek.

I always thought the last 2-3 seasons of Deep Space Nine were my favorite in the Star Trek pantheon. Ronald D Moore took over the show-running around then. A foretaste of BSG.

I know BSG isn't on Netflix anymore - is DS9 these days?

BenM

Post by BenM » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:07 pm

broseph wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:39 pm The Crown is good too. Mostly cuz John Lithgow.
Seconded. I'm not really into this historical drama stuff, but the wife is, so I sat through it all as a Saturday night date night thing. Lithgow was a great Churchill. He really is underrated as an actor IMHO; between stuff like Third Rock from the Sun, Dexter, and The Crown there's a fair bit of diversity.

Anyhoo, plaudits aside, I managed to sit through the whole lot without getting distracted and I have a notoriously short attention span. So it must have been decently engaging.

Not Netflix (I assume you'd have to get HBO now) but I'm currently binge watching The Sopranos. Can not believe I never watched this freaking show before.

Shane
Great Old One

Post by Shane » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:20 pm

I liked 'Van Helsing'. Want more.
Can't decide whether I want to give 'The Good Place' a try.
If you like cheese with your cheese: 'Don't Kill It'. Dolph Lundgren again.
Tried out 'Wynona Earp'. Didn't take.
Might watch 'The Babysitter', 'Slasher' series, and '1922' up next. Gots to get my horror on.
Oh, skim watched The Human Centipede 3 last night. Less disturbing than the previous offerings.

DirtyRed
Champion in his own mind

Post by DirtyRed » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:24 pm

mgil wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:42 pm
DirtyRed wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:51 pm I have heard the Castlevania show is good. Can't actually attest to it as I don't have Netflix because I'm too busy lifting barbell and winning at life/video games.
How’s the girl at the gym counter doing?
Which one?

I mean, they all seem to be doing the same. They look uneasy and mildly put out with something. Surely it's not about DR asking where the newest, best bench press rig went when they replaced it with some utterly retarded inflatable decline sit up deal. And surely it's not about DR drafting plans to steal the fucking thing back from the "women's side" of the gym at 2 AM one night because it's not like any of them fucking bench press enough weight to need to a remotely solid bench.

GAWD, I'm glad to no longer be focusing on bench press.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:04 am

Just keeping tabs on your love life, DR.

What I find amusing on Netflix:

-Haters Back Off
-Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

I still haven’t gotten through Iron Fist. That one is lacking.

Shane
Great Old One

Post by Shane » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:19 am

mgil wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:04 am Just keeping tabs on your love life, DR.

What I find amusing on Netflix:

-Haters Back Off
-Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

I still haven’t gotten through Iron Fist. That one is lacking.
Haters Back Off didn't stick on me. Maybe I should have given it another episode.
Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt is wonderful. Titus should get his own spinoff if it dies. He awakens the terminally lazy yet occasionally brilliant and Inspired gay black man inside me. That could be read many ways, so whatever. I have to rewatch segments to catch all the references.
Iron Fist: I'd rather have one explode in my colon than watch that whiny manchild. Muthafucka fucked up Defenders as well. So much fucked.

I forgot 'The Mist' earlier. Good stuff. Apart from mistiness departs big time from the novella and movie. Sad it was cancelled after 1 season.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:04 am

Shane wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:20 pm I liked 'Van Helsing'. Want more.
Can't decide whether I want to give 'The Good Place' a try.
If you like cheese with your cheese: 'Don't Kill It'. Dolph Lundgren again.
Tried out 'Wynona Earp'. Didn't take.
Might watch 'The Babysitter', 'Slasher' series, and '1922' up next. Gots to get my horror on.
Oh, skim watched The Human Centipede 3 last night. Less disturbing than the previous offerings.
I have Van Helsing on my list. Just finished The Babysitter (over three sittings...) It was alright. Not particularly horror, but there were some alright practical effects. Honestly, just watch 'Dale & Tucker' again instead. There's a new season of American Horror I'd like to dig into, 'Train to Busan' and I'm excited about 'Raw' but odds are good I might not get to any of them. We've mostly just been re-watching 'Parks & Rec' with the SIL after the kid goes to bed. I've been slowly working my way through 'Death Note' which has been pretty good.
'Unbreakable Kimmy' is great, I still sing "Outside Bones" on occasion. And I'm excited about the new season of 'Stranger Things' but again, scary and my wife/SIL don't mix (watched 'Coraline' with SIL and she said it was too creepy) and they don't really dig the whole '80s retro vibe as much as I do.

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:00 am

Just finished watching all 7 seasons of Mad Men with my girlfriend. I watched it originally while it aired, she had never seen it. Such a fantastic show. I think I appreciated it more with the binge watching, being able to make connections across seasons. Hard to remember everything when you see it with one year gaps in between.

Anyone who hasn't seen Breaking Bad needs to watch it ASAP.

Haven't seen the latest season of Narcos but the first two were very good.
Last edited by TimK on Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:09 am

TimK wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:00 amAnyone who hasn't seen Breaking Bad needs to watch it ASAP.
I assumed anyone who enjoys moving pictures with accompanying audio had seen Breaking bad at this point. But if not, I agree that they should ASAP.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:42 am

aurelius wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:09 am
TimK wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:00 amAnyone who hasn't seen Breaking Bad needs to watch it ASAP.
I assumed anyone who enjoys moving pictures with accompanying audio had seen Breaking bad at this point. But if not, I agree that they should ASAP.
To be fair I just finished it, I think at the beginning of the year.

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:13 am

TimK wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:00 am Just finished watching all 7 seasons of Mad Men with my girlfriend. I watched it originally while it aired, she had never seen it. Such a fantastic show. I think I appreciated it more with the binge watching, being able to make connections across seasons. Hard to remember everything when you see it with one year gaps in between.

Anyone who hasn't seen Breaking Bad needs to watch it ASAP.

Haven't seen the latest season of Narcos but the first two were very good.
I agree re: binging Mad Men. I tried to watch it with my wife when it was on air and I couldn't follow the subtleties of the relationships- who respects/hates/loves/loathes who. And that's kinda the whole show.

If Breaking Bad and Justified (did anyone else like that?) had a baby, it would be Ozark.

Not Netlfix, but Handmaid's Tale on Hulu is great.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:15 am

Justified was great. Haven't seen the first or final seasons yet.
I'm still annoyed they took Buffy off Netflix. My wife and I were working our way through, and never made it to "Once More, With Feeling"

broseph
High Fiber

Re:

Post by broseph » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:17 am

Allentown wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:15 am Justified was great. Haven't seen the first or final seasons yet.
I'm still annoyed they took Buffy off Netflix. My wife and I were working our way through, and never made it to "Once More, With Feeling"
We watched all of Justified on Amazon Prime. Not sure if it's still on there.

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:20 am

I watched Justified. They did a great job with the final season and the finale in particular.

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:48 am

TimK wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:20 amI watched Justified. They did a great job with the final season and the finale in particular.
Good to know. I like the characters. I'm in the middle seasons and the story lines are just uninteresting/seems like they ran out of ideas.

TwoFoursStrohm

Post by TwoFoursStrohm » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:03 am

Gomorrah - Italian mob show. Season 1 is awesome. Havent started season 2 yet.

Half and Catch Fire - most underrated show in recent years. Finale just ended a few weeks ago. I know the early seasons are on Netflix

Narcos - All 3 seasons kill

OA - mixed reviews but I liked it a lot.

The Keepers - doco about a mysterious case in which a beloved nun got murdered.

TwoFoursStrohm

Post by TwoFoursStrohm » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:04 am

oh also:

The Fall - british crime show

Glow - really really good comedy about womens wrestling in the 80s

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:09 am

aurelius wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:48 am
TimK wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:20 amI watched Justified. They did a great job with the final season and the finale in particular.
Good to know. I like the characters. I'm in the middle seasons and the story lines are just uninteresting/seems like they ran out of ideas.
Which storyline? I enjoyed pretty much every episode I saw. Patton Oswald's character in that show was hilarious.

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:02 pm

TwoFoursStrohm wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:04 am Glow - really really good comedy about womens wrestling in the 80s
2 “really”s for how good Glow was? I don’t know about all that, but I liked it.

I liked OA a lot. The dance moves thing was cringey for me at first, but it’s very different and creative and ultimately I loved it.
Allentown wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:09 amPatton Oswald's character in that show was hilarious.
If you like goofy southern Patton Oswald and really dark comedy horror try The Heart, She Holler from Adult Swim.

omaniphil

Post by omaniphil » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:09 pm

My wife and I have really been enjoying the Great British Baking Show. I generally don't watch reality tv shows and the like, but there's something so charming about this one. Everybody is so nice to each other. Plus, I get delicious ideas for baked goods.