What’s on Netflix?!?

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

JimRiley

Re: What’s on Netflix?!?

Post by JimRiley » Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:19 pm

aurelius wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:19 pm
JimRiley wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:00 amStarted watching Santa Clarita Diet last night (zombies, real estate, Barrymore, Olyphant); looks promising. Sample sentence from plot summaries in Wikipedia: "She tells them her new attitude is due to her new high-protein diet."
I enjoyed this show. It suffered from the Netflix cancel curse. But I think there are 2 good seasons. Enjoy.
Thanks, that's encouraging. My wife and I loved Justified to death, so we're suckers for anything with Olyphant. ("Hey, Drew's married to Raylan!")

mouse

Post by mouse » Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:30 am

American Horror Story fucking sucked.

What a jumbled up piece of shit. Was almost interested for a second when I thought they were gonna go off the rails with the weird Gay Frankenstein subplot but that only lasted an episode and a half I guess...

Writers on that show are fucking terrible.
SpoilerShow
What should our new season be? Oh I know how about a serial killer who goes after gay guys, oh and some sick deer, and a woke Fauci-esque character to Corona-shame people, oh and the serial killer is making a gay Frankenstein, hey hey the main good guy closeted gay cop yeah he accidentally gay sexed a kid to death while on drugs with our red herring bad guy, oh and the red herring bad guy is actually just a bad guy who kills people, hey did I mention the weird supernatural S&M body builder who stalks gay guys and burns down clubs and randomly kills a lady for no reason, the serial killer oh whatever fuck it just shoot him, and hey also the deer disease is just AIDS that the government made to kill gays or something, also the supernatural S&M guy is like the gay angel of death or something... also it's a gay Christmas Carol with gay ghosts of gaymas past...

mikeylikey
Rabble Rouser

Post by mikeylikey » Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:59 am

I very much enjoyed hey Pepsi where's my jet?

Nice mix of 90s nostalgia, interesting people, well produced, well paced, good music etc. Making a story interesting when the viewer knows the ending is impressive.

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:31 am

The Weird Al movie is really decent if you like absurdist comedy and celebrity cameos and buff Daniel Radcliffe.

Regarding Cabinet of Curiosities; the 7th episode (The Viewing) was my favorite, and the only one that completely held my attention. The ending felt a little flat, but getting there was very enjoyable thanks to the cast, soundtrack, and overall style.

Anyone watching Chainsaw Man (anime)? Gorgeous animation and it has the One Punch Man vibe of slice-of-life meets Dragon Ball Z. I love it.

lheugh

Post by lheugh » Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:47 am

broseph wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:31 am The Weird Al movie is really decent if you like absurdist comedy and celebrity cameos and buff Daniel Radcliffe.

Regarding Cabinet of Curiosities; the 7th episode (The Viewing) was my favorite, and the only one that completely held my attention. The ending felt a little flat, but getting there was very enjoyable thanks to the cast, soundtrack, and overall style.

Anyone watching Chainsaw Man (anime)? Gorgeous animation and it has the One Punch Man vibe of slice-of-life meets Dragon Ball Z. I love it.
The Chainsaw Man manga is fantastic and I eagerly await each anime episode every week! It's a superbly faithful adaptation.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:21 pm

broseph wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:31 am Anyone watching Chainsaw Man (anime)? Gorgeous animation and it has the One Punch Man vibe of slice-of-life meets Dragon Ball Z. I love it.
Just started, actually. My biggest problem with the other anime on Hulu was the absurd number of ads, an episode would be more ad than actual show (sorry, not interested in opening or credits music). First episode of Chainsaw only had one ad.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:05 pm

I thought Wednesday was pretty solid considering it’s a fresh take on old ideas.

Warrior Nun S2 was also pretty good. I think it was better than S1.

hector

Post by hector » Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:23 pm

Andor has the best writing of any Star Wars stuff in recent years.
At least so far. 5 episodes in. Also, Diego Luna is great.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:20 pm

Also loving Wednesday. The closest to horror I can get my wife on board for, and it is plenty Burton/Elfman enough for me.

BenM

Post by BenM » Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:45 pm

hector wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:23 pm Andor has the best writing of any Star Wars stuff in recent years.
It gets better.

GlasgowJock

Post by GlasgowJock » Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:48 am

Man how terribad was the last episode of Cabinet of Curiosities. Almost hoped a wayward zombie would wander into the house and chew Frank Grime's face off just to liven it up.

omaniphil

Post by omaniphil » Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:38 am

BenM wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:45 pm
hector wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:23 pm Andor has the best writing of any Star Wars stuff in recent years.
It gets better.
I watched the first episode when it was first released some time ago and decided not to continue watching it, as I just didn't care about the characters. After hearing the rave reviews, I decided to pick it up again last week, and am so thankful I did. By the time Stellan Skarsgård showed up, I was hooked. Easily the best SW universe product since maybe Empire Strikes Back.

After Andor and Rogue One, Kathleen Kennedy should just give Tony Gilroy the reins to make anything he wants, as he clearly 'gets' the universe in ways that Jon Favreau and Dave Filoni just don't.

Also, now I need to track down everything Genevieve O'Reilly has ever been in, since she was fabulous as Mon Mothma.

dw

Post by dw » Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:08 am

Finished Animal Kingdom on Prime.

I thought it was good. Not top tier like the best HBO shows, nor second tier like the best Netflix shows. But well above schlock-tier. Similar to SoA with lower highs but also higher lows - writing was consistent across the board.

It did suffer from the problem so many American shows have where the showrunners don't know how many seasons they'll have so they develop the central drama in an erratic and inconsistent way, then wrap it up too quickly.

BenM

Post by BenM » Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:19 pm

We started Wednesday this week and I kinda liked it.

mouse

Post by mouse » Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:49 pm

Taking in some films on the Peacock

Nope was actually surprisingly good even though I kinda knew what happened...

Beast... not so much...

GlasgowJock

Post by GlasgowJock » Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:20 am

I bet you Yanks are shitting yourselves in anticipation at the 6-part 'Harry & Meghan' series being released on Netflix next week.

(post may contain sarcasm).

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:55 am

lheugh wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:47 am
broseph wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:31 am Anyone watching Chainsaw Man (anime)? Gorgeous animation and it has the One Punch Man vibe of slice-of-life meets Dragon Ball Z. I love it.
The Chainsaw Man manga is fantastic and I eagerly await each anime episode every week! It's a superbly faithful adaptation.
Re: manga; I finally finished Attack of Titan, and waiting on Berserk is killing me. Chainsaw Man will now fill my manga void.

hector

Post by hector » Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:00 am

broseph wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:55 am
Re: manga; I finally finished Attack of Titan, and waiting on Berserk is killing me. Chainsaw Man will now fill my manga void.
Without spoiling anything, the last episode of Attack Of Tita is still near that battle in the harbor, right?

(I watched everything that was available a year or two ago, at the time there was still more in the pipeline to be released.)

lheugh

Post by lheugh » Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:58 am

hector wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:00 am
Without spoiling anything, the last episode of Attack Of Tita is still near that battle in the harbor, right?

(I watched everything that was available a year or two ago, at the time there was still more in the pipeline to be released.)
Part 1 of Season 4 was last year but Part 2 was released earlier this year. I can't off the top of my head recall story-wise where the two seasons start and end but based on your time-frame you have some catching up to do! :lol:

lheugh

Post by lheugh » Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:00 pm

A fellow struggler! I was ecstatic when they decided to continue Berserk after Kentaro Miura's passing. Thankfully, I have a few manga to keep me sated between releases.