Post by DCR » Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:26 pm

Renascent wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:11 pm Barbell Hang Rows
225 x 12 (Pronated)
225 x 12 (Supinated)
255 x 9 (Pronated)
255 x 9 (Supinated)
275 x 6 x 2 (Pronated)
275 x 6 x 2 (Supinated)
What are these? We talking bent over rows done in the non-Pendlay style, or something else?

Renascent
Desperado

Re: Tip Toeing in my Vibrams

Post by Renascent » Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:09 pm

DCR wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:26 pm
225 x 12 (Pronated)
225 x 12 (Supinated)
255 x 9 (Pronated)
255 x 9 (Supinated)
275 x 6 x 2 (Pronated)
275 x 6 x 2 (Supinated)
What are these? We talking bent over rows done in the non-Pendlay style, or something else?
Bent-over rows without the weight touching the ground until the set is finished; alternating grip changes with each set.

A former poster referred to them as rows "from a hang," so I refer to them as such for the sake of specificity.

DCR

Post by DCR » Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:11 am

Renascent wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:09 pm
225 x 12 (Pronated)
225 x 12 (Supinated)
255 x 9 (Pronated)
255 x 9 (Supinated)
275 x 6 x 2 (Pronated)
275 x 6 x 2 (Supinated)
Bent-over rows without the weight touching the ground until the set is finished; alternating grip changes with each set.

A former poster referred to them as rows "from a hang," so I refer to them as such for the sake of specificity.
That’s what I figured. It’s funny, if this were a straight bodybuilding community neither of us would have had to specify beyond “bent over rows.” Dude, those are falling well into Dan John’s ”heavy weight, a lot of times.” Have to believe they’ve done real work for your bench as discussed previously. Are you strapping those, hooking them, or just have a much stronger grip than me?

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:42 am

DCR wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:11 am
Renascent wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:09 pm
225 x 12 (Pronated)
225 x 12 (Supinated)
255 x 9 (Pronated)
255 x 9 (Supinated)
275 x 6 x 2 (Pronated)
275 x 6 x 2 (Supinated)

That’s what I figured. It’s funny, if this were a straight bodybuilding community neither of us would have had to specify beyond “bent over rows.” Dude, those are falling well into Dan John’s ”heavy weight, a lot of times.” Have to believe they’ve done real work for your bench as discussed previously. Are you strapping those, hooking them, or just have a much stronger grip than me?
I used to only strap up for the heaviest sets, but I've been using straps for all sets over the past few weeks.

I'm fairly sure the rows have helped with bench via bracing and lowering the bar with some modicum of control.

They probably count as "cheat rows," since I don't shy away from knee bend and body english. Not sure if the "heavy" weight is an important factor, but I'm mostly concerned with slowing down the eccentric and getting a good stretch at the bottom. With the stretch in mind, I assume that underhanded rows (or pulldowns) are superior, but I have to hope I don't mangle my shit like Dorian Yates with that grip.

Normally I'd follow them up with T-bar Rows, but I was very tired yesterday, and am having to reconsider doing the usual row complex twice a week (especially if I intend to increase the loads).

DCR

Post by DCR » Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:43 am

Renascent wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:42 am I used to only strap up for the heaviest sets, but I've been using straps for all sets over the past few weeks.
Might try. I don’t think I’d be anywhere close to your numbers regardless, but I admit that I was surprised by what happened with my RDL as soon as I didn’t have to gaf about grip.
Renascent wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:42 am They probably count as "cheat rows," since I don't shy away from knee bend and body english. Not sure if the "heavy" weight is an important factor, but I'm mostly concerned with slowing down the eccentric and getting a good stretch at the bottom. With the stretch in mind, I assume that underhanded rows (or pulldowns) are superior, but I have to hope I don't mangle my shit like Dorian Yates with that grip.
Good, as far as I’m concerned. When I do the “to the chest” rows that I mentioned in broseph’s log, I’m strict because letting the bar hanging out like that and getting sloppy would be a great way to royally fuck up one’s lower back, but I think “normal” rows, and nearly every other pulling movement, should be cheated.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:58 am

DCR wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:43 am
Renascent wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:42 am I used to only strap up for the heaviest sets, but I've been using straps for all sets over the past few weeks.
Might try. I don’t think I’d be anywhere close to your numbers regardless, but I admit that I was surprised by what happened with my RDL as soon as I didn’t have to gaf about grip.
Yup. Only real reason I still hookgrip for conventional deads is because I'm so used to it at this point, but straps were what allowed my SGDL to progress.
DCR wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:43 am
Renascent wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:42 am They probably count as "cheat rows," since I don't shy away from knee bend and body english. Not sure if the "heavy" weight is an important factor, but I'm mostly concerned with slowing down the eccentric and getting a good stretch at the bottom. With the stretch in mind, I assume that underhanded rows (or pulldowns) are superior, but I have to hope I don't mangle my shit like Dorian Yates with that grip.
Good, as far as I’m concerned. When I do the “to the chest” rows that I mentioned in broseph’s log, I’m strict because letting the bar hanging out like that and getting sloppy would be a great way to royally fuck up one’s lower back, but I think “normal” rows, and nearly every other pulling movement, should be cheated.
If you're referring to rear delt rows, then, yeah I get it. I'd want to keep form strict for those. Probably don't even need to go stupid-heavy or anything to benefit from the movement, too.

lheugh

Post by lheugh » Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:52 am

I always find barbell rows tricky to load, simply because the strength curve for them is wacky - Lighter in the hands, heavier up by one's belly. Finding that sweet spot where there's an acceptable amount of body english, but not so much that it detracts from the point the lats and other muscles work the hardest, is a constant struggle.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:46 pm

lheugh wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:52 am I always find barbell rows tricky to load, simply because the strength curve for them is wacky - Lighter in the hands, heavier up by one's belly. Finding that sweet spot where there's an acceptable amount of body english, but not so much that it detracts from the point the lats and other muscles work the hardest, is a constant struggle.
They're one of those accessories that I dread before starting, and the first set is always hell to get through. But after that, seems like my body acclimates to whatever fatigue has built up, and whatever degree of exertion is going to be required to get through my sets. Then it's (mostly) smooth sailing, provided I remain conscious of my attempts to get a decent stretch at the bottom.

At first, I was always stuck on trying to keep my form picture-perfect. Once I started to see (and feel?) the payoff from doing them, I got a little more comfortable with getting into my knees to complete the reps.

With that said, I feel like I get a lot more out of T-bar rows, but maybe I just really like hitting rhomboids.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:50 pm

(4.21.2023)
Landmine T-Bar Rows
200 x 10 x 8

Straight-Arm Pulldowns
95 x 10 x 6

Kneeling Iliac Pulldowns
70 x 10 x 5

Overhead Cable Front Raise
40 x 10 x 4

Weighted Sisy Squats
45 x 10 x 4

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:14 pm

Renascent wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:46 pm
lheugh wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:52 am I always find barbell rows tricky to load, simply because the strength curve for them is wacky - Lighter in the hands, heavier up by one's belly. Finding that sweet spot where there's an acceptable amount of body english, but not so much that it detracts from the point the lats and other muscles work the hardest, is a constant struggle.
They're one of those accessories that I dread before starting, and the first set is always hell to get through. But after that, seems like my body acclimates to whatever fatigue has built up, and whatever degree of exertion is going to be required to get through my sets. Then it's (mostly) smooth sailing, provided I remain conscious of my attempts to get a decent stretch at the bottom.

At first, I was always stuck on trying to keep my form picture-perfect. Once I started to see (and feel?) the payoff from doing them, I got a little more comfortable with getting into my knees to complete the reps.

With that said, I feel like I get a lot more out of T-bar rows, but maybe I just really like hitting rhomboids.
For what it's worth you've convinced me to give barbell rows a run for the next few blocks. Not T-bar rows because I did them all last cycle and they were OK. Neither great nor terrible. I couldn't really get a feel where I want in my back. So barbell rows it is.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:49 pm

MarkKO wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:14 pm

For what it's worth you've convinced me to give barbell rows a run for the next few blocks. Not T-bar rows because I did them all last cycle and they were OK. Neither great nor terrible. I couldn't really get a feel where I want in my back. So barbell rows it is.
For some reason, I think there's a greater benefit to T-Bar rows -- feelwise -- at a lighter weight than I prefer to use, but I've noted some growth with heavier sets, so I've not had the heart to drop the weight on them.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:01 pm

(4.24.2023)
Overhead Press
165 x 8 x 2
185 x 5 x 5
205 x 2 x 4
210 x 1

Yazmin Press
195 x 7 x 4
205 x 3 x 4
210 x 3 x 2

Rope Pushdowns
80 x 12 x 4
85 x 8 x 2

Barbell Hang Shrugs
315 x 20 x 4

Overhead RTEs
85 x 11 x 4, 10 x 2

Dumbbell Silverback Shrugs
80 x 20 x 4

Kneeling Face Pulls
60 x 12 x 4

Been starting later on weeknights due to some schedule changes that may as well be permanent for now. I don't mind too much, given I might just stick with the more lax, bodybuilder-esque rotation, but I wind up getting hungry in the middle of the main lifts. I've got a few Quest bars laying around for this exact scenario, but they taste like chalked ass (in a bad way) and I couldn't bring myself to bother eating one in the middle of the session.

Besides, there was a raccoon hanging around the outside door, and the fucker would just come closer each time I tried to scare it off. Kept approaching the doorstep in a non-rabid, but surly-ass way, like it wanted in. Eventually I just gave up on trying to head back next door and got through the accessory stuff by sipping on cold coffee until I was done.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:43 pm

Renascent wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:49 pm

For some reason, I think there's a greater benefit to T-Bar rows -- feelwise -- at a lighter weight than I prefer to use, but I've noted some growth with heavier sets, so I've not had the heart to drop the weight on them.
IME chest supported T-bar rows are a strong contender for hardest rowing exercise but I prefer it when the pad is somewhat lower, no higher than mid sternum. Having the pad there somehow makes the movement entirely reliant on my lats/whatever muscles row. I can't cheat anywhere even if I want to.

By the by, when I did barbell rows yesterday with my bench grip it absolutely hit exactly where I feel my lats and upper back when benching so just in case you didn't know you were onto something, you're onto something.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:05 pm

MarkKO wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:43 pm
Renascent wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:49 pm

IME chest supported T-bar rows are a strong contender for hardest rowing exercise but I prefer it when the pad is somewhat lower, no higher than mid sternum. Having the pad there somehow makes the movement entirely reliant on my lats/whatever muscles row. I can't cheat anywhere even if I want to.

By the by, when I did barbell rows yesterday with my bench grip it absolutely hit exactly where I feel my lats and upper back when benching so just in case you didn't know you were onto something, you're onto something.
I like the rows to be chest supported. I've done them on T-Bar Row machines that are not, and it ends of becoming an issue of how much abuse my lower back can take in addition to the Squats and DL's. Chest supported lets me focus on the back muscles in isolation.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:58 pm

MarkKO wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:43 pmIME chest supported T-bar rows are a strong contender for hardest rowing exercise but I prefer it when the pad is somewhat lower, no higher than mid sternum. Having the pad there somehow makes the movement entirely reliant on my lats/whatever muscles row. I can't cheat anywhere even if I want to.
I agree. They definitely keep you honest.
Hardartery wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:05 pmI like the rows to be chest supported. I've done them on T-Bar Row machines that are not, and it ends of becoming an issue of how much abuse my lower back can take in addition to the Squats and DL's. Chest supported lets me focus on the back muscles in isolation.
If I ever get ahold of some boxes, I will give seal rows another spin.

Standing T-bar rows don't usually cause me any problems, though I'm always glad when I'm finished with them.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:13 pm

(4.25.2023)
High-Bar Squats
225 x 8 x 2
275 x 7 x 2
315 x 3 x 6
335 x 2 x 2
275 x 5 x 2
225 x 5

Weighted Sisy Squats
45 x 10 x 6

I tried the landmine version first, but couldn't, uh, get as low as I anticipated.

I feel like I've done these before, but wouldn't know how far back to begin looking in my log to see if anything came of it.

I guess that leaves a minor goal to work towards.

Standing Cable Leg Extension
50 x 12 x 5

Standing Cable Rear Delt Flyes
30 x 12 x 4

Cable Hip Abduction
15 x 12 x 4

Kinda thought it would rain this afternoon, and didn't much care when it didn't. I was in the middle of cooking, wasn't really in the mood for deadlifts, and felt oddly tired after squats. Not sure if it was a lack of sleep or calories, but I think I'm also trying to navigate a bit of the usual slow-burn, seasonal malaise.

I hate spring. Always have. Fucking potluck season again already.

I expect to feel really ill about an hour before work usually ends tomorrow, screaming for vengeance or Jesus or bloody gore. And I'm totally not going to leave early to deadlift.

DCR

Post by DCR » Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:56 pm

Renascent wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:13 pm I expect to feel really ill about an hour before work usually ends tomorrow, screaming for vengeance or Jesus or bloody gore.
See what you did there.

Reminded me of putting back a few of these recently:

https://halftimebeverage.com/death-gobl ... rder-36772

I had more to type regarding the row discussion above, but it’s late and I’ll leave it at I don’t consider chest supported T-bar rows to be materially different than a “machine” row, just the hardest version of one. Highly useful for the same reason of being able to completely smash yourself without consequence, but IME falling short of the results that barbell rows can provide.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:39 pm

DCR wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:56 pm
Renascent wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:13 pm I expect to feel really ill about an hour before work usually ends tomorrow, screaming for vengeance or Jesus or bloody gore.
See what you did there.

Reminded me of putting back a few of these recently:

https://halftimebeverage.com/death-gobl ... rder-36772

I had more to type regarding the row discussion above, but it’s late and I’ll leave it at I don’t consider chest supported T-bar rows to be materially different than a “machine” row, just the hardest version of one. Highly useful for the same reason of being able to completely smash yourself without consequence, but IME falling short of the results that barbell rows can provide.
Other than whatever influence gravity would impart, I'd consider them the same as well.

Personally, I always found machine rows in general to be more time-efficient, and they have the added benefit of being less fatiguing overall, as you said.

But, barring other factors that were likely at play, I've managed to get a lot of mileage out of barbell row variants over the past three years or so (partly because it's a pain in the ass to MacGyver a seated row setup with my rack).

That Hammer Strength low row machine is pretty damn close to perfect, though.

(And it's kinda awesome to see the Death logo on something else besides a T-shirt or an album).

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:44 pm

(4.26.2023)
Deadlift
225 x 8
315 x 8
405 x 7
465 x 3 x 3
485 x 2 x 2

Romanian Deadlifts
315 x 8 x 5

Seated Reverse Calf Raises
75 x 35 x 8

Seated Cable Leg Curls
50 x 15 x 4
55 x 9 x 4

Nordic Curls
8 x 4

Kinda wanted to try standing leg curls instead of these, for the sartorius, supposedly. Opted not to, but I still might play around with them tomorrow if my hamstrings are up for it.

Assisted Reverse Nordic Curls
10 x 4

Lying Cable Knee Raise
80 x 12 x 3

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:35 pm

(4.27.2023)
Bench Press
135 x 12
225 x 12