Tip Toeing in my Vibrams

A place to track your progress, or lack thereof

Moderator: Chebass88

Renascent
Desperado

Re: Tip Toeing in my Vibrams

Post by Renascent » Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:39 pm

MarkKO wrote: ↑Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:59 pmI swear there are slews of people who would wish to have that caloric issue over the holidays 🀣
I get preoccupied with other shit, eating takes a back seat, and suddenly it becomes harder to just ... eat.

I enjoyed the little gap in time, but coming back to lifting afterwards always sucks when I have to regain lost ground.
Good news about the bosses, I guess?
I would say so. I said some things in front of my boss's boss, and he acted as though this was the first time I'd made some very old complaints I've made before in the last three years.

He also did not like my tone, apparently. It was a long conversation, suffice it to say.

I might've called his bluff when he asked if I'd be more amenable to working under so-and-so. I replied -- enthusiastically -- in the affirmative. So we'll see where this goes.

I just need more time to get some other shit done to hopefully make a move out of that department altogether. Meanwhile, boss's boss is hoping my "attitude" changes, and I talk to him more often. When I asked what exactly we're supposed to talk about, he kind of skirted the question.

I don't think he realizes we have little in common outside of work, and our experiences under the banner of so-called "masculinity" diverge a great deal.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:02 pm

Renascent wrote: ↑Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:39 pm
MarkKO wrote: ↑Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:59 pmI swear there are slews of people who would wish to have that caloric issue over the holidays 🀣
I get preoccupied with other shit, eating takes a back seat, and suddenly it becomes harder to just ... eat.

I enjoyed the little gap in time, but coming back to lifting afterwards always sucks when I have to regain lost ground.
I would say so. I said some things in front of my boss's boss, and he acted as though this was the first time I'd made some very old complaints I've made before in the last three years.

He also did not like my tone, apparently. It was a long conversation, suffice it to say.

I might've called his bluff when he asked if I'd be more amenable to working under so-and-so. I replied -- enthusiastically -- in the affirmative. So we'll see where this goes.

I just need more time to get some other shit done to hopefully make a move out of that department altogether. Meanwhile, boss's boss is hoping my "attitude" changes, and I talk to him more often. When I asked what exactly we're supposed to talk about, he kind of skirted the question.

I don't think he realizes we have little in common outside of work, and our experiences under the banner of so-called "masculinity" diverge a great deal.
I'll be joining you in the lost ground club in a few weeks. I just got to lose some ground first.

I hope your work situation improves. I've resolved to do far less overtime, and honestly I think I'm going to start casually looking for somewhere else. Nothing pressing, but my eyes are going to be a bit more than open.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:38 am

MarkKO wrote: ↑Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:02 pm

I'll be joining you in the lost ground club in a few weeks. I just got to lose some ground first.

I hope your work situation improves. I've resolved to do far less overtime, and honestly I think I'm going to start casually looking for somewhere else. Nothing pressing, but my eyes are going to be a bit more than open.
If I were in your situation, I'd just be glad there's no cardiovascular damage. Sucks to lose ground, but I suspect you'll get it back very quickly.

In the meantime, time to decide if you're going to spend the next few weeks as a cactus grower, or a PokΓ©mon trainer, or a stamp collector...

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:01 pm

Renascent wrote: ↑Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:38 am
MarkKO wrote: ↑Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:02 pm

If I were in your situation, I'd just be glad there's no cardiovascular damage. Sucks to lose ground, but I suspect you'll get it back very quickly.

In the meantime, time to decide if you're going to spend the next few weeks as a cactus grower, or a PokΓ©mon trainer, or a stamp collector...
I definitely dodged a bullet. I absolutely have nothing to complain about.

I already have a sideline in Pokemon training so that might be the way to go.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:53 pm

(1.6.2023)
Deadlift
225 x 6
315 x 6
405 x 6
445 x 3 x 2
465 x 2 x 2
485 x 1 x 2
425 x 2 x 2

Barbell Good Mornings
175 x 10 x 5
185 x 7 x 3

Seated Reverse Calf Raises
65 x 32 x 6
70 x 30 x 2

Seated Cable Leg Curls
45 x 16 x 2
50 x 12 x 3
55 x 8 x 3

Nordic Curls
8 x 4

Lying Cable Knee Raises
85 x 9 x 3
50 x 15 x 2

A few days ago, I noticed a familiar twinge in the left glute. It was the same sensation I felt a few years back, sometime after incorporating loaded hip thrusts into my routine. At the time, it seemed to match the symptoms of piriformis syndrome based on what I'd been reading, and took about four months to rehab once I realized that stretching wasn't helping and I needed to strengthen something instead (three months of pointless stretching, and about two weeks of consistent doses of clamshells and band walks).

This time, I was on the verge of blaming the sudden dedication to split squats, and figured I was getting my just desserts for taking things a little too far once again. I stopped short of that upon finally realizing that, while I technically did have piriformis syndrome of a sort once before (and flare-ups here and there from various movements), it really just comes down to compression of the sciatic nerve somewhere as it exits its notch. It may or may not be the piriformis itself causing the irritation; I recall reading that you can't experience it on both sides simultaneously (which I have, on occasion), and it's also usually a symptom of some sort of greater issue regarding pelvic orientation.

So, split squats seem to be doing exactly what I needed. I already get my fair share of hip extension from the usual movements in my rotation, but the unilateral work forces the weaker glute to do its share of work with fewer compensations. Split squats also seem easier on the weaker side, possibly because that leg normally rests in a greater degree of internal rotation. I've been using the residual ass soreness as a proprioceptive aid outside of the gym, to take advantage of the full hip extension I now seem to have during normal movements.

I suspect unilateral glute bridges would probably offer the same benefit, with the added advantage of being able to do them in other places outside of my gymspace. I'd need to elevate my feet to gain a range of motion similar to that which slit squats afford, but it's possibly doable. A few people have suggested step-ups to me in the past; I may need to take those under consideration as well, provided I can find something high enough to start from a full glute stretch.

I think the sciatic nerve irritation is due to a dearth of movements that accentuate external rotation. On the weaker leg, the space between the greater trochanter and the SI joint is great enough that all the tissues between those points are being stretched across the nerve -- same goes for the opposite leg, though to a lesser extent. Basically, any upright movements involving loaded hip flexion are going to aggravate the issue.

Only real problem is that banded walks mostly work isometrically, and clamshells are fucking boring to count. I tried the side-plank version of banded clamshells a few weeks ago; might need to stick with those for a while, since they were difficult enough to make me think I might tear something. I suspect that, while any kind of squat variation will cover hip extension, my acetabula are already internally rotated enough that I won't get full external rotation at end range without a more specific movement.

Whatever I decide upon, I need to stick with it. Sick of going back to clamshells, though.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Sat Jan 07, 2023 4:59 pm

Step ups are an interesting exercise. Out of all the leg exercises I've done it seems like they are the one that offers the greatest variation of muscles you can target depending on how you execute. I can't quite imagine how you'd target the glutes but I don't doubt it could be done.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Sat Jan 07, 2023 5:31 pm

MarkKO wrote: ↑Sat Jan 07, 2023 4:59 pm Step ups are an interesting exercise. Out of all the leg exercises I've done it seems like they are the one that offers the greatest variation of muscles you can target depending on how you execute. I can't quite imagine how you'd target the glutes but I don't doubt it could be done.
I think it's the hip extension at the end of the movement that's supposed to target glutes/external rotators.

I tried them years ago, using a variation with a slow eccentric and a heel-only touch at the bottom, but they seemed to exacerbate the issue I was trying to resolve. Seemed like my TFL was doing most of the work, and my knees felt worse as a result.

I suspect that I might get more out of them now, based on Hardartery's explanation(s) of eccentric training, along with hector's suggestion(s) and Hanley's apparent endorsements via programming.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:48 pm

Renascent wrote: ↑Sat Jan 07, 2023 5:31 pm
MarkKO wrote: ↑Sat Jan 07, 2023 4:59 pm Step ups are an interesting exercise. Out of all the leg exercises I've done it seems like they are the one that offers the greatest variation of muscles you can target depending on how you execute. I can't quite imagine how you'd target the glutes but I don't doubt it could be done.
I think it's the hip extension at the end of the movement that's supposed to target glutes/external rotators.

I tried them years ago, using a variation with a slow eccentric and a heel-only touch at the bottom, but they seemed to exacerbate the issue I was trying to resolve. Seemed like my TFL was doing most of the work, and my knees felt worse as a result.

I suspect that I might get more out of them now, based on Hardartery's explanation(s) of eccentric training, along with hector's suggestion(s) and Hanley's apparent endorsements via programming.
The last time I did them I kept my shin on the box vertical and focused almost entirely on keeping the grounded leg inert and got a hell of a contraction in my hamstrings as a result. It would imagine that being religious about keeping the knee over the toe would produce an equivalent contraction in the quads.

dw

Post by dw » Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:21 pm

MarkKO wrote: ↑Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:48 pm

The last time I did them I kept my shin on the box vertical and focused almost entirely on keeping the grounded leg inert and got a hell of a contraction in my hamstrings as a result. It would imagine that being religious about keeping the knee over the toe would produce an equivalent contraction in the quads.

When I tried them with a 20" box I was not so much focused on vertical shins but I was very focused on not using any momentum or pushing off the back leg at all and it felt very hamstringy and glutey. Didn't feel quads at all.

I think next time I try them I'll go with a lower box and try to really keep the knees over toes.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:37 pm

dw wrote: ↑Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:21 pm

When I tried them with a 20" box I was not so much focused on vertical shins but I was very focused on not using any momentum or pushing off the back leg at all and it felt very hamstringy and glutey. Didn't feel quads at all.

I think next time I try them I'll go with a lower box and try to really keep the knees over toes.
The box I used was around 450 mm high IIRC. It was just my 12" box on its end and I'm pretty sure the surface is 450x450 which I think is around 18"?

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:10 pm

MarkKO wrote: ↑Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:37 pm

The box I used was around 450 mm high IIRC. It was just my 12" box on its end and I'm pretty sure the surface is 450x450 which I think is around 18"?
Those are indeed roughly equivalent measurements. A 30 cm ruler is also a 12" ruler, give or take a few mm, based on my recollections from elementary school. The main benefit of your country changinf from Imperial to Metric when you are in first grade is being taught both systems and having a rough sense of equivalencies in general life. So, thanks Mrs. McFee, but it doesn't make up for you killing random gym classes because you didn't like teaching gym.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:09 pm

Hardartery wrote: ↑Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:10 pm
MarkKO wrote: ↑Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:37 pm

Those are indeed roughly equivalent measurements. A 30 cm ruler is also a 12" ruler, give or take a few mm, based on my recollections from elementary school. The main benefit of your country changinf from Imperial to Metric when you are in first grade is being taught both systems and having a rough sense of equivalencies in general life. So, thanks Mrs. McFee, but it doesn't make up for you killing random gym classes because you didn't like teaching gym.
I was just joking with my wife in the kitchen a few minutes ago about my poor unit conversion skills.

@MarkKO, thanks. My equipment wish list pretty much remains the same as it was a few months ago: a proper box for step-ups, some wedges, and some ankle cuff shit. Based on my own observations, I suspect your measurements are appropriate for my intentions.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:18 pm

(1.11.2023)
Bench Press
135 x 10
225 x 11
255 x 7
285 x 3 x 6
295 x 1 x 2
305 x 1 x 2
275 x 3 x 3
255 x 3 x 2

Kneeling Single-Arm Low-Pulley Cable Flyes
20 x 10 x 4

Bilateral Dumbbell Bulgarian Split Squats
40 x 10 x 2
50 x 8 x 2
60 x 6 x 2

Ab Wheel Rollouts
13 x 3

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:10 pm

Renascent wrote: ↑Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:18 pm Ab Wheel Rollouts
13 x 3
From knees or feet?

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:51 pm

Allentown wrote: ↑Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:10 pm
13 x 3
From knees or feet?
Knowing @Renascent it's feet.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:20 pm

MarkKO wrote: ↑Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:51 pm
13 x 3
From knees or feet?
Well, I mean he wears Vibrams, not knee pads.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:57 am

Hardartery wrote: ↑Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:20 pm
13 x 3
From knees or feet?
They're very comfortable

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:51 am

MarkKO wrote: ↑Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:57 am
Hardartery wrote: ↑Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:20 pm
13 x 3
From knees or feet?
They're very comfortable
I have been wearing cheap (Almost certainly Chinese made) versions, but not with the separate toes. I have wonky toes and was not willing to experiment on whether or not I could get my feet into them with over $100. I couldn't find anywhere to go bricck and mortar to try some on and see, so I gambled on a cheap pair. I bought them mostly for deadlifting, but I wear them all over the place.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:24 am

13 x 3
From knees or feet?
From my knees. heidikay is still the reigning champion of standing rollouts (for now, anyway).

I tried the standing version once about a year ago, and it almost ended in tragedy. I probably should start progressing to partials using a baseboard as a stop or something, but I've mostly been using rollouts as a substitute when I am too tired or lazy to arrange cables and such for core-related finishers at the end of a session.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:35 am

I am not sure I have enough room in my garage to do them standing. Disadvantage of being 6'2 with long arms. (Also, based on the one time I tried, I'm not strong enough either)