Death / black metal

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

DCR

Re: Death / black metal

Post by DCR » Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:04 pm

Some legit guitar hero shit here for those who miss that outside of the tech death context - highly recommended:

Castles and forests and stuff:

neandrewthal

Post by neandrewthal » Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:40 pm

DCR wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:04 pm outside of the tech death context
I feel personally attacked

DCR

Post by DCR » Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:02 pm

neandrewthal wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:40 pm
DCR wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:04 pm outside of the tech death context
I feel personally attacked
:lol: Whatchu listening to currently?

(As I write this I’m listening to the last Imperial Triumphant, and still am aggravated that the latest one can’t be effectively sampled online.)

neandrewthal

Post by neandrewthal » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:47 am

DCR wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:02 pm :lol: Whatchu listening to currently?
My entire vinyl collection (around 5% of which is Death/Black Metal) in alphabetical order :shock:

DCR

Post by DCR » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:48 am

neandrewthal wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:47 am
My entire vinyl collection (around 5% of which is Death/Black Metal) in alphabetical order :shock:
Funny, I've been considering doing exactly that with my cds, largely because, with so much time spent listening to new stuff, I sometimes wonder if I'll ever find time for all of my old favorites again if I don't make a concerted effort.

neandrewthal

Post by neandrewthal » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:13 pm

DCR wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:48 am
neandrewthal wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:47 am
Funny, I've been considering doing exactly that with my cds, largely because, with so much time spent listening to new stuff, I sometimes wonder if I'll ever find time for all of my old favorites again if I don't make a concerted effort.
Yep, that plus lots of other reasons to do it. My collection is stored away in boxes and I have no room to set it up. I would love to pull out old favorites but that would involve tracking down which box each thing is in. It's been long enough since I have listened to any of them that a reappraisal is in order from several different perspectives. Some probably haven't been listened to in 10 years since I did my last alphabetical listening binge/purge. Anything I am too bored to sit through now needs to go. I've also upgraded my equipment and fussiness a lot since I have listened to a lot of these. So something that sounded good to me before I might be too fussy for now or a record that sounded like shit before might be saved by my better equipment (including record washing machine). I should probably reappraise/cut back on my CDs some day too.

DCR

Post by DCR » Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:34 am

Cuncel 2021 in extreme metal. It’s already over. Just when I think I might finally be bored of the stuff, shit like this gets released and I’m 110% back in. Both of these records are stunning.

Re: the Krallice, if you didn’t like the last few, don’t let that sway you - this is a huge, unexpected, and for me very welcome style shift.

neandrewthal

Post by neandrewthal » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:28 am

I'm on Kraftwerk in my alphabetical vinyl binge and Krallice is next :mrgreen:

DCR

Post by DCR » Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:57 am

neandrewthal wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:28 am I'm on Kraftwerk in my alphabetical vinyl binge and Krallice is next :mrgreen:
Sweet - all the more reason for you to add this to your collection, stat.

Next on my list of things to tackle is this new Ad Nauseam record that eveyone’s fellating. Apparently it’s “difficult,” and I need to be in the right frame for that kind of thing.

Alex

Post by Alex » Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:22 pm

This band has been blowing up and I didn't really get it until now. I get it and I love it. Dumb shit that is dumb and fun on purpose.

DCR

Post by DCR » Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:07 pm

Alex wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:22 pm This band has been blowing up and I didn't really get it until now. I get it and I love it. Dumb shit that is dumb and fun on purpose.
I’m a little too serious with my metal and so this is a tough sell for me, but I have to admit that I laughed at the songtitles and the video and, because the sound of death metal in general is up my alley, I banged along to the track.

neandrewthal

Post by neandrewthal » Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:14 am

DCR wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:57 am
neandrewthal wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:28 am I'm on Kraftwerk in my alphabetical vinyl binge and Krallice is next :mrgreen:
Sweet - all the more reason for you to add this to your collection, stat.
That new one is pretty good. Seems some reviews hate the keyboards but I really don't mind them when they are atmospheric or synthy and not trying to be an orchestra. I haven't been following Krallice lately so I'm not sure how much of a transformation it is but it certainly isnt the Krallice I remember.

Speaking of transformations, what do you think of Liturgy's change in direction? I thought it was kind of meme-y at first but H.A.Q.Q. was just fantastic. Oh I see they have a new one now. I'm getting old.

Alex

Post by Alex » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:02 am

There's a lot of new "old-school" death metal bands popping up. These guys released their debut album in January and it's very good. Excellent music to lift weights to. I think they have some real staying power. They even have a fun gimmick I haven't seen before.

DCR

Post by DCR » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:16 am

neandrewthal wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:14 am That new one is pretty good. Seems some reviews hate the keyboards but I really don't mind them when they are atmospheric or synthy and not trying to be an orchestra. I haven't been following Krallice lately so I'm not sure how much of a transformation it is but it certainly isnt the Krallice I remember.
Exactly - I generally don’t do symphonic (although I did like Inferi and feel like if I spent more time with them, I’d like them even more, and I really, really like Fleshgod Apocalypse). Agreeing with one of the supporting comments at the Bandcamp site, this record reminds me of a lot of mid-00s depressive bm, except not depressed and much more interesting. I’m not sure that I’ve kept up with all the labels so well, but the last one was what I understand to be mathcore (?) for the most part. I wasn’t so into it. IIRC though, you dig some tech? Maybe worth a listen.[/quote]
Speaking of transformations, what do you think of Liturgy's change in direction? I thought it was kind of meme-y at first but H.A.Q.Q. was just fantastic. Oh I see they have a new one now. I'm getting old.
I’ve actually never heard a Liturgy track, but remember thinking I should get into them just bc they made everyone so mad. Thanks for the starting point. :lol:

If you wanna hear something else that got panties bunched, but that I think is awesome (I swear):

https://moraprokazasom.bandcamp.com/

DCR

Post by DCR » Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:23 pm

Alex wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:02 am There's a lot of new "old-school" death metal bands popping up. These guys released their debut album in January and it's very good. Excellent music to lift weights to. I think they have some real staying power. They even have a fun gimmick I haven't seen before.
Listened through the debut EP and the new track you linked and really liked it. I thought I was sick of osdm, but it appears that I’m actually just sick of the glut if “progressive” osdm wherein 30 below average riffs are crammed into one track. I loved the simplicity of this. Thanks for the rec.

If you dig osdm, prob my fav record from the past 2-3 years is this:

Alex

Post by Alex » Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:22 pm

DCR wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:23 pm
Alex wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:02 am There's a lot of new "old-school" death metal bands popping up. These guys released their debut album in January and it's very good. Excellent music to lift weights to. I think they have some real staying power. They even have a fun gimmick I haven't seen before.
Listened through the debut EP and the new track you linked and really liked it. I thought I was sick of osdm, but it appears that I’m actually just sick of the glut if “progressive” osdm wherein 30 below average riffs are crammed into one track. I loved the simplicity of this. Thanks for the rec.

If you dig osdm, prob my fav record from the past 2-3 years is this:

Dude this is excellent. Never even heard of them before, gonna get this on vinyl.

DCR

Post by DCR » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:54 pm

Alex wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:22 pm Dude this is excellent. Never even heard of them before, gonna get this on vinyl.
Glad you dig it! They’re still active per metallum, but this is their only release - nothing before, not even a demo, and nothing after. There’s a genuine savagery to the record that I don’t hear in a lot (most?) of osdm these days.

snah

Post by snah » Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:42 am

Honestly I find most OSDM revival bands to be just boring. I actually haven't found any recent DM that excites me in a long time, it's all older releases that I hadn't heard before.
The revival bands from the late 90's and early 2000's however were quite good, and many of them still hold up great today.

DCR

Post by DCR » Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:46 am

snah wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:42 am Honestly I find most OSDM revival bands to be just boring. I actually haven't found any recent DM that excites me in a long time, it's all older releases that I hadn't heard before.
The revival bands from the late 90's and early 2000's however were quite good, and many of them still hold up great today.
[lots of death metal]
Dude, you can’t do this to me. I’ve still got around 50 Safari tabs open from 2020 list season, and now you add five more recs? Killing me. :lol:

neandrewthal

Post by neandrewthal » Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:02 pm

I know the feels.