Death / black metal

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

neandrewthal

Re: Death / black metal

Post by neandrewthal » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:24 pm

Nah, fuck it. I'm back with this. Ever since I collected pretty much the whole Deathspell catalog I've been on the lookout for something to scratch that chaotic, dissonant, intricately composed yet extremely catchy metal itch. Gorguts tried with their Pleiades' Dust mini-album but this is the next best thing I've heard:

DonaldFagen

Post by DonaldFagen » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:40 pm

neandrewthal wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:18 pm Blut Aus Nord
I miss the days of old Opeth - truly great Black Metal...I'll check these guys out.

DCR

Post by DCR » Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:57 pm

DonaldFagen wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:40 pm
neandrewthal wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:18 pm Blut Aus Nord
I miss the days of old Opeth - truly great Black Metal...I'll check these guys out.
Sample before buying - there are huge divergences among records/time periods, to the point of barely being the same band. The Work Which Transforms God was their first consensus masterpiece of dissonent bm. The latest, Hallucinogen, or Memoria Vetusta II, are good starts for the melodic stuff.

I like to listen to MoRT and Odinist (the consensus noise/bad period) just to convince myself that I’m the only person on the planet who likes them. I really sort of do. Approach with caution.

Edited: to note that I realize sample before buy is a strange thing to say in 2020 - who wouldn’t? I still buy cds, so it’s more of a personal issue.
Last edited by DCR on Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DCR

Post by DCR » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:02 pm

neandrewthal wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:24 pm Nah, fuck it. I'm back with this. Ever since I collected pretty much the whole Deathspell catalog I've been on the lookout for something to scratch that chaotic, dissonant, intricately composed yet extremely catchy metal itch. Gorguts tried with their Pleiades' Dust mini-album but this is the next best thing I've heard:

Have you tried Pyrrhon? I absolutely cannot get into them (despite seriously digging the likes of Imperial Triumphant myself, as well as caverncore like Impetuous Ritual, who may be my current favorite extreme band), but folks jerk off to them. Might be the ticket.

DonaldFagen

Post by DonaldFagen » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:10 pm

DCR wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:57 pm
Edited: to note that I realize sample before buy is a strange thing to say in 2020 - who wouldn’t? I still buy cds, so it’s more of a personal issue.
Thanks for recommendations - and yes, I'm spotify premium for life. I am so glad CDs are a thing of the past !

DCR

Post by DCR » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:23 pm

DonaldFagen wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:10 pm
DCR wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:57 pm
Thanks for recommendations - and yes, I'm spotify premium for life. I am so glad CDs are a thing of the past !
I just got my first vehicle that doesn’t have a cd player, and it’s killing me. I picked up the equivalent of an old discman, but with bluetooth capability that connects to the car. At some point I’ll spend the month it’ll take to rip all my stuff. The last two/three years I’ve mainly bought off iTunes and Bandcamp, but that accounts for maybe 5% of my stuff. Maybe.

MPhelps

Post by MPhelps » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:45 pm

I bought a cheapo discman a few years ago for my vehicle with no CD player. Lasted about 9 months before it quit. I hated using cds in the car. But man 30 years of cds and don't have the patience to load them all on the iPhone.

DonaldFagen

Post by DonaldFagen » Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:27 pm

DCR wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:23 pm
I just got my first vehicle that doesn’t have a cd player, and it’s killing me. I picked up the equivalent of an old discman, but with bluetooth capability that connects to the car. At some point I’ll spend the month it’ll take to rip all my stuff. The last two/three years I’ve mainly bought off iTunes and Bandcamp, but that accounts for maybe 5% of my stuff. Maybe.
I mean Spotify Premium streams at very high quality now - consistency is there. I'm sure 85% of your CD collection is available right now to you.

The benefit of streaming those artists means that they get paid every time you listen. Might not be a lot of $$, but it's still more than they're getting from spinning a CD in your car for 20 years. Take the leap, forget bluetooth - and Line In from Spotify Premium with high quality streaming option!

DCR

Post by DCR » Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:26 pm

DonaldFagen wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:27 pm ...Spotify..
Jumping back in.. My aversion to Spotify and Apple Music and the like, and my willingess to continue lighting money on fire to buy individual records, is based in my continuing frustration with the sheer amount of quality stuff that’s available, and my inability to process it. I can remember the time (now years ago) when I knew every note to every record I owned. Later that became impossible, but I at least could name the tracks and knew most of the transitions. Then some of the tracks. Then none but I could name the record. Then...well, shit, I did love the last one by X, can’t recall the name... I hate this state of feeling that I have no real knowledge of half of what (in the moment) I really dig. On many occasions, I’ve promised myself that I’d never again give an opinion on a record that I didn’t listen to totally uninterrupted and undistracted, and preferably with the lyrics. You can guess how long that lasts. Bottom line: I have a (potentially irrational) fear that Spotify or the like would only exponentially exaggerate this state of affairs.

DCR

Post by DCR » Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:27 pm

...and with all that said, I’ve been through the new Lamb of God three times tonight, mainly undistracted. If you’re a fan, you’ll push down the standard disappointment of knowing they’ll never replicate the classics, but you’ll dig it, heavily, and come back to it for months. If you’ve never cared for them (and if so, please know that As the Palaces Burn stomps on your favorite record, and I won’t hear otherwise), nothing here will change your mind.

neandrewthal

Post by neandrewthal » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:43 pm

DCR wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:02 pm Have you tried Pyrrhon? I absolutely cannot get into them (despite seriously digging the likes of Imperial Triumphant myself, as well as caverncore like Impetuous Ritual, who may be my current favorite extreme band), but folks jerk off to them. Might be the ticket.
Not that I remember but according to youtube I have played one of their videos before (I love Impetuous Ritual and Portal btw). Not really doing it for me. Too loose and sludgy and the vocals are little more "hardcore" than I like my metal to be. At times they remind me more of Godflesh than Deathspell, which isn't necessarily a bad thing but I definitely prefer the latter.

Edit: lol my play of a Pyrron video was from this thread.

Here are some more pics that come close for me. Artificial Brain pull of an impossible feat by playing virtuoistic technical death metal that is constantly grounded in brutality and never noodly or flashy. And the new Ulcerate album is awesome:

DCR

Post by DCR » Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:31 am

neandrewthal wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:43 pmI love Impetuous Ritual
Check out Infernal Coil/Within a World Forgotten. It’s incredible.

Agree re: the new Ulcerate. Circling back to my first post last night, it’s a perfect example: I’ve listened through enough to be immensely struck by it, and yet also feel there’s so much to be revealed that I’m missing by listening while distracted/among tons of other urremt records.

DonaldFagen

Post by DonaldFagen » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:04 am

DCR wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:26 pm Bottom line: I have a (potentially irrational) fear that Spotify or the like would only exponentially exaggerate this state of affairs.
That's fair, but I do think it's irrational. Spotify specifically has been very good for me with developing custom playlists based on listening history. I've found a lot of great music without having to sift through too much. Their algorithms are very good.

On new LOG - I don't hate it - and I don't love it - but i'm not a huge fan of the band. Blacken the Cursed Sun is probably my favorite tune of theirs, and that period is probably my favorite too. Thankfully they played it last year when I saw them with Slayer.

neandrewthal

Post by neandrewthal » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:16 am

DCR wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:31 am Check out Infernal Coil/Within a World Forgotten. It’s incredible.
Already have and I agree :ugeek:

cmoney

Post by cmoney » Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:15 pm

I struggle with Ulcerate because it's right up my alley, I should really, really like it, but the drumming is actually too upfront and precise that it takes a bit of soul out of it for me. Like I get he's insanely talented, but chill man.

DCR

Post by DCR » Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:32 pm

cmoney wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:15 pm I struggle with Ulcerate because it's right up my alley, I should really, really like it, but the drumming is actually too upfront and precise that it takes a bit of soul out of it for me. Like I get he's insanely talented, but chill man.
This is how I feel about the entire tech death genre. Like twice a year I hear a snippet of something that I really feel I should like (I even bought an Inferi record), but then when I listen further all I can think is, “These dudes really need to relax.” (Not to mention ditch the brick wall production. Shit is unlistenable without headphones.)

MPhelps

Post by MPhelps » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:33 am

Re: tech death. I listened to snippets of the YouTube videos posted above, I get through about a minute of it, the lyrics start up and I tgink to myself, there's three more minutes of this? There's no feeling, the drums are crazy and the vocals are the same as everyone else. I often just think to myself, why would I need to listen to this when I can put on Covenant, Effigy of the Forgotten, Fury and Flames, etc? Or one of the other 100s of death metal albums that sound exactly like this by various bands with one word that usuallg starts with D or E?

Its not bad at all really, it's just why?

DCR

Post by DCR » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:18 pm

Pulled the trigger on the below haul of awesomeness:

Black Curse/Endless Wound
Ulcerate/Stare Into Death and Be Still
Serpent Column/Mirror in Darkness
Firelink/Firelink
Nylithia/Goddamn Type 1
Krater/Venenare
Valdrin/Effigy of Nightmares
Poccolus/Poccolus

MPhelps

Post by MPhelps » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:19 pm

Tomb Mold is fucking awesome btw Walter Becker.

Reminds me of Drawn and quartered in like a kind of a better version of Incantation or Immolation way.

DCR

Post by DCR » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:26 pm

MPhelps wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:19 pm Reminds me of Drawn and quartered in like a kind of a better version of Incantation or Immolation way.
The D&Q record you linked is really good - just served as my deadlift soundtrack. I'm a big fan of latter day Immolation and Incantation, who IMO really haven't fallen off nearly to the extent of some of their peers.