Death / black metal

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

neandrewthal

Re: Death / black metal

Post by neandrewthal » Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:59 am

MPhelps wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:36 pm I've tried to listen to the albums before Blackwater Park but like a lot of their stuff, it's too much endless sameness. It could just be that Blackwater and Deliverance are so mind blowing that it's hard to get into anything else that's not at that level.

ETA. Listening to My Arms now. Did I miss this one? Did I give up after listening to Orchid and Morningrise and being bored to tears? This is actually really pretty damn good.

Another case of a band at their peak not just because of their leader (Akerfeldt), but the sum of him plus Martins Lopez and Mendez, and Peter Lindgren. A lot if times it seems like the leader fires his band because he wants to go in a different direction (make more money), or because he has a big ego. Or both.
Yeah Orchid and Morningrise or boring af and Morningrise at least is very overrated. After that they came into their own and Still Life is their masterpiece.

MPhelps

Post by MPhelps » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:19 pm

The problem with Opeth is that every song of theirs requires major time to get into, so if it's boring as fuck the first time, I doubt I'm going to try again to listen to 12 minutes of constant changes. Blackwater Park and Deliverance have a flow to them that a lot of the others don't. And because Opeth is a once and awhile listen, I'm probably just going to put on one of those two. I will give Still Life a listen next time I'm in an Opeth mood.

Back to my MA death metal statement, I've pretty much had Domination and Covenant playing non stop in the car for many weeks now. Part of me is too lazy to change it...but once they start up I let it play every time.

DCR

Post by DCR » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:52 pm

Speaking of death metal, and jumping back to Cryptopsy, Mike DiSalvo apparently still is doing cool shit. This hasn’t fully clicked with me yet but it’s giving me that good feeling.

buttonius

Post by buttonius » Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:46 pm

DCR wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:52 pm Speaking of death metal, and jumping back to Cryptopsy, Mike DiSalvo apparently still is doing cool shit. This hasn’t fully clicked with me yet but it’s giving me that good feeling.
I lost track of them after their metal-core fiasco, but I still own all their albums prior to that. Glad to hear they're still going.

Someone mentioned Bolt Thrower on the first page, which reminded me of the following track I've always enjoyed for that sweet, sweet main riff:

DCR

Post by DCR » Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:46 pm

buttonius wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:46 pm
DCR wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:52 pm Speaking of death metal, and jumping back to Cryptopsy, Mike DiSalvo apparently still is doing cool shit. This hasn’t fully clicked with me yet but it’s giving me that good feeling.
I lost track of them after their metal-core fiasco, but I still own all their albums prior to that. Glad to hear they're still going.
Dude - the record following the metalcore travesty is the self-titled for which Jon Levasseur returned, and is fucking incredible. I’d seriously listen to an argument that it falls only behind BMF and NSV. Check it out. (It broke my metal heart when it turned out that it was a one-off for Levasseur and he wasn’t sticking around.)

DCR

Post by DCR » Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:06 am

Anyone surprised that the first capitol rioter to plead guilty, and also to turn snitch, is fake tough guy nut job Jon Schaffer?

The DOJ press release made me laugh, in that it essentially says that he rolled up in a tactical vest with bear mace, but as soon as he got pepper sprayed himself, he GTFO out of there. (I’d be a bitch if I got pepper sprayed too I’m sure, but I’m also not an OMG OATH KEEEEPER!!111!1!!1!!)

ETA: For those dropping in who may be unfamiliar with the name, Schaffer is the founder and main songwriter of Iced Earth, a once (for about ten minutes) mildly interesting but later intensely grating heavy power metal band.

MPhelps

Post by MPhelps » Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:25 pm

I remember liking one of their songs for a second when it was on Liquid Metal about 10 years ago. Power metal in general is not good. We won't be missing anything.

DCR

Post by DCR » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:38 pm

neandrewthal wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:14 am Speaking of transformations, what do you think of Liturgy's change in direction? I thought it was kind of meme-y at first but H.A.Q.Q. was just fantastic.
Finally got around to this and... fuck I really like it. Wish I’d given it a chance much sooner.

cgeorg

Post by cgeorg » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:40 am

buttonius wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:46 pm Someone mentioned Bolt Thrower on the first page, which reminded me of the following track I've always enjoyed for that sweet, sweet main riff
That is a killer riff

snah

Post by snah » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:51 am

MPhelps wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:25 pm I remember liking one of their songs for a second when it was on Liquid Metal about 10 years ago. Power metal in general is not good. We won't be missing anything.
Power Metal in general is pretty bad, but there is at least one major exception, Running Wild.

And to keep it on topic, their first album somewhat of an early version of black metal, in the same way Venom was. They even name drop black metal in one of their songs, Prisoner of Our Time.

DCR

Post by DCR » Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:03 am

Best stuff you heard this year? I’ll go first:

neandrewthal

Post by neandrewthal » Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:07 pm

Where did the Funereal Presence go? I could have sworn it was in this thread. Can't give enough props for that recommendation.

DCR

Post by DCR » Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:01 pm

neandrewthal wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:07 pm Where did the Funereal Presence go? I could have sworn it was in this thread. Can't give enough props for that recommendation.
Looks like @blanded had recommended it back on page 2 of this thread, but the link is gone.

More from 2021: