Death / black metal

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

DCR

Death / black metal

Post by DCR » Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:38 pm

Seems like there's some fans per a bit of talk downstairs. What are folks playing?

I'm currently stuck on this Tombs EP that I missed earlier in the year, along with the new Vredehammer and Rimfrost, among other things.

@cmoney, gonna need you to explain that comment on 90s bm.

MPhelps

Re: Death / black metal

Post by MPhelps » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:07 pm

Agalloch-Marrow of the Spirit.
Wolves in the Throne Room- everything
Oranssi Pazazu-everything
Bolzer-Soma
Fen-Winter
Ulver-Bergtatt

DCR

Post by DCR » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:16 pm

MPhelps wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:07 pm Oranssi Pazazu-everything
Oh fuck yes. I've had a tab open on the new one for weeks and just keep getting distracted by other shit.

Did you also hear/like the Waste of Space Orchestra record?

MPhelps

Post by MPhelps » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:20 pm

I haven't heard of it but thanks for turning me on to it.

plaguewielder

Post by plaguewielder » Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:16 am

Old stuff from Entombed currently.

Also Deeper the Fall from Kozeljnik is good. A bit newer.

mettkeks

Post by mettkeks » Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:46 am

I like my shit groovy.

cmoney

Post by cmoney » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:16 am

DCR wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:38 pm Seems like there's some fans per a bit of talk downstairs. What are folks playing?

I'm currently stuck on this Tombs EP that I missed earlier in the year, along with the new Vredehammer and Rimfrost, among other things.

@cmoney, gonna need you to explain that comment on 90s bm.
I got into BM late. Though I'm pushing 40, I'm a hardcore kid at heart when it comes to heavy music, though always liked some metal and doom and such. That is, to say, much of the 90s BM missed me as I was listening to punk rawk in the early 90s and then bands like Converge, Catharsis, and such later.

That is to say, I don't have any BM glory days to hearken back to. So while I can sorta hear why Darkthrone was a big deal in the early 90s, and it's not bad, it holds no place in my heart. And listening to it side by side with some of the stronger new stuff that's come out it just sounds sorta one track and dull.

Feel free to provide some examples that prove me wrong.

My main BM fix is Deathspell Omega. It's not even close, I've been on a DSO listening tear for a 2-3 years now. I discovered them on youtube while coding and clicking a random suggested vid. It was SMRC and I was totally hooked.

I subscribe to the OdiumNostrum channel on youtube. New releases every few weeks. Not all slam dunks for me but good exposure to what's going on in this world. I'm too old to keep track of things.

Other non-DSO stuff I've been listening to:

Depths Above - Ex Nilho
Blut Aus Nord - Hallucinogen
Serpent Column - Endless Detainment

That serpent column is prob my favorite album in a long time, maybe because it reminds me of a lot of late 90s/early 2000s metalcore/powerviolence/screamo hybrid stuff that was going on in New England at the time. Except it's faster and lots of blast beats.

Hamburgerfan
Possibly Vegan

Post by Hamburgerfan » Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:27 am

A few favorites. Will post more later
Mystifier -
Bolt Thrower -
Rotten Sound -

Mkgillman
Biker

Post by Mkgillman » Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:17 pm

It isn't Death or BM, but the new Code Orange album is amazing.

augeleven

Post by augeleven » Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:20 pm

This one is my perfect ideal for death metal, although to be fai(iiii)r, I don’t really listen to lyrics, and I’m sure these super gross. It’s also a pretty obvious pick...

Just started listening to the new Pyrrhon album, pretty snazzy.

MPhelps

Post by MPhelps » Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:09 pm

@cmoney same here. I don't think I even knew what black metal was until 2009 when I was 34. There's something about the fake lo-fi sound of the Norwegian groups from that era that I really like. Especially Darkthrone's "unholy trinity." There is some really bad late 90s Norwegian stuff once they got into trying melody and keyboard heavy stuff (Windir anyone?...anyone?...anyone?....no? Didnt think so). Emperor and Satyricon did it right. Unleashed fell off into cheese pretty quick. There's only so much you can do.

I only got into Agalloch, Oranssi Pazazu and Wolves in the Throne Room in the last year. Never even heard of them before that.

PS. It's not my thread, but for the love of all things holy, no metalcore please. Holy shit that was bad. I waited through that whole circa 2005 bad horror movie intro for that! Lasted 10 seconds. Luckily I didn't wait until the clean singing.

Speaking of clean sing:

cmoney

Post by cmoney » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:35 pm

I have liked most of what I've heard from Emperor.

I knew about WitTR way before I got into black metal because they had some cachet in the hardcore scene for whatever reason. They never really stuck for me though.

Re: Code Orange. I know they don't fit in this thread, but they'd be a ridiculously good band if they got a real vocalist. I saw a youtube comment say "he sounds like Adam Sandler" and yupppp.

Alex

Post by Alex » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:21 pm

Deathspell Omega and MGLA are probably my two favorite bands right now. I would've said Peste Noire until recently but I've stopped listening to them. Kriegsmaschine, which is the MGLA members side project, sounds completely different. Darkside, MGLA's drummer, eats cymbals for breakfast. Their latest album Apocalypticists has been on heavy rotation recently, along with Paracletus and Furnaces by DsO. 90's BM introduced me to the genre, but all my favorite stuff has come out post 2000.

I just discovered this band called Diabolical Masquerade. Pretty unlike anything I had ever heard. Very spooky.

Lastly, this band called 1914 is a WWI concept band that makes excellent death metal. I've also been on a Bolt Thrower kick lately.

DCR

Post by DCR » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:29 am

Alex wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:21 pm Lastly, this band called 1914 is a WWI concept band that makes excellent death metal.
I thought The Blind Leading the Blind was arguably the best record of 2018. It’s just an exhausting listen - I only can handle it every few months.

I have so much to say on this thread but have been swamped with work. For now, here’s the best promo blurb of the day:

“Strap in with VIOLENT HAMMER's Riders of the Wasteland or get smashed in the fucking face!”

Well then.

(Record actually is pretty good if you like primitive stuff. Hard to stand out in a sea of this, though.)

DonaldFagen

Post by DonaldFagen » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:54 am

Check out the latest record from Tomb Mold - smaller Death Metal band from Canada. This has been my heavy dead day music for awhile.

augeleven

Post by augeleven » Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:11 pm

DonaldFagen wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:54 amNot yacht rock
Am confussed.

DonaldFagen

Post by DonaldFagen » Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:17 pm

augeleven wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:11 pm
DonaldFagen wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:54 amNot yacht rock
Am confussed.
Death metal has been a major influence on the band since Walter died

DCR

Post by DCR » Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:22 pm

DonaldFagen wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:54 am Check out the latest record from Tomb Mold - smaller Death Metal band from Canada. This has been my heavy dead day music for awhile.
That record rules, as did the prior one. I imagine you also dig Blood Incantation. If not, you have your assignment.

DonaldFagen

Post by DonaldFagen » Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:35 pm

DCR wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:22 pm
DonaldFagen wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:54 am Check out the latest record from Tomb Mold - smaller Death Metal band from Canada. This has been my heavy dead day music for awhile.
That record rules, as did the prior one. I imagine you also dig Blood Incantation. If not, you have your assignment.
I am very familiar with them but I don't "love them" - but my stepson and I listen to them when lifting a lot. Tomb Mold hit me hard for some reason.

neandrewthal

Post by neandrewthal » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:18 pm

DCR wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:22 pm
Welp, people are all over the Deathspell already and I was gonna put Blood Incantation as my number one modern DM pick. I guess I'm not needed here. You definitely don't need to know I was (and still am) enjoying some Blut Aus Nord before stumbling upon this thread.