2020 POTUS ELECTION THREAD

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

BostonRugger
Edging Lord

Re: 2020 POTUS ELECTION THREAD

Post by BostonRugger » Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:43 pm

Philbert wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:03 pm
BostonRugger wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:52 pm Issa coup

Is that a blind man in a red hat with a white cane crossing the screen with his hand on red jacket's back at 15-20 seconds?
Not sure. I count three different pairs doing a similar hand holding clothes/backpack in thing. I noticed one pair the first time, but this time I see the pair you refer to, plus a third pair. My first thought was thet they’re trying not to get separated, but who knows.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:04 pm

quite a few people wearing full blown respirators

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:20 pm

mbasic wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:04 pm quite a few people wearing full blown respirators

Well, sure. I can respect that ^

I can't respect the bro who perceives risk and half-asses risk mitigation.

dw

Post by dw » Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:01 pm

So Trump's lawyer exhorted Pence to "send the election to Congress" and blamed him for the riot.

IOTW the purpose of the riot was to pressure Pence into not certifying the EC tally. I.e. it was a coup attempt.

DCR

Post by DCR » Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:28 pm

dw wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:01 pm So Trump's lawyer exhorted Pence to "send the election to Congress" and blamed him for the riot.

IOTW the purpose of the riot was to pressure Pence into not certifying the EC tally. I.e. it was a coup attempt.
Yup. Everything that’s come out in the past few weeks has been no good very bad. However, it doesn’t affect the average person’s daily life, and so I suspect that we’re soon going to choose stopping inflation over democracy. Should be wild.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:40 pm

Greene Confuses Hitler’s Secret Police with Spanish Soup

Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-GA) was mocked after ranting about the “gazpacho police” patrolling the U.S. Capitol on a podcast, The Guardian reports.

Said Greene: “Not only do we have the DC jail which is the DC gulag, but now we have Nancy Pelosi’s gazpacho police spying on members of Congress, spying on the legislative work that we do, spying on our staff and spying on American citizens.”

Greene apparently confused cold Spanish soup with the Gestapo, the Nazi-era secret police in Germany.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:16 am

Wilhelm wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:40 pm Greene Confuses Hitler’s Secret Police with Spanish Soup

Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-GA) was mocked after ranting about the “gazpacho police” patrolling the U.S. Capitol on a podcast, The Guardian reports.

Said Greene: “Not only do we have the DC jail which is the DC gulag, but now we have Nancy Pelosi’s gazpacho police spying on members of Congress, spying on the legislative work that we do, spying on our staff and spying on American citizens.”

Greene apparently confused cold Spanish soup with the Gestapo, the Nazi-era secret police in Germany.
50/50 that it was intentional, and a play to get "teh librul media" to mock her and make her a victim (for being the moron she is), or it was unintentional and her supporters eat it up anyways for not using the correct word or knowing anything about basic world history.

JonA

Post by JonA » Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:42 am

Is no one going to make a "Soup Nazi" joke?

DCR

Post by DCR » Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:42 am

Allentown wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:16 am
Wilhelm wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:40 pm Greene Confuses Hitler’s Secret Police with Spanish Soup

50/50 that it was intentional, and a play to get "teh librul media" to mock her and make her a victim (for being the moron she is), or it was unintentional and her supporters eat it up anyways for not using the correct word or knowing anything about basic world history.
A billion percent the latter.

Culican

Post by Culican » Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:29 am

JonA wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:42 am Is no one going to make a "Soup Nazi" joke?
I was going to last night but decided not to. But since you asked...

RobWaskis

Post by RobWaskis » Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:41 am

Said Greene: “Not only do we have the DC jail which is the DC goulash, but now we have Nancy Pelosi’s gazpacho police spying on members of Congress, spying on the legislative work that we do, spying on our staff and spying on American citizens.”

Am I the only one who thought it? She missed a golden opportunity.

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:30 am

RobWaskis wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:41 amAm I the only one who thought it? She missed a golden opportunity.
What is the over/under on Greene retconning a Soup Nazi reference as if she intended this all along?

hector

Post by hector » Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:46 pm

Allentown wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:16 am

I find it increasingly difficult to believe that anyone in congress is playing 4d chess. Maybe this wouldn't count as 4d chess. But I'm 99% sure it was a legitimate accident on her part. Nothing more complicated going on.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:26 am

But certainly there has to be at least one intelligent person around them, right?
I mean, she might have had soup for lunch and saw the word, but in the winter? And I had to help prep and then take orders of it for a few years (during the summer) and that word would never have come to mind talking about secret police. It's a very unusual brain fart, is what I'm getting at, and the people that I know who I would assume are supporters of hers would absolutely eat up any chance for her to play the victim card.
Plus, didn't she give a Capitol tour to some people like two days before they were arrested in the riot? That was her, right? And now there is news of un-logged WH calls that day and all the improperly removed and destroyed documents? Seems suspicious.

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:06 am

hector wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:46 pmI find it increasingly difficult to believe that anyone in congress is playing 4d chess. Maybe this wouldn't count as 4d chess. But I'm 99% sure it was a legitimate accident on her part. Nothing more complicated going on.
This ^.

I read an article where a Senator stated (paraphrase): Everyone thinks this is House of Cards. It is 100% Veep.
Last edited by aurelius on Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

JonA

Post by JonA » Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:00 am

And here I thought it was suspicious that the news is covering a bushism when Biden is claiming that he can't help Americans leave Ukraine without starting WW3.

Philbert

Post by Philbert » Fri Feb 11, 2022 3:25 pm

Allentown wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:26 am But certainly there has to be at least one intelligent person around them, right?
I mean, she might have had soup for lunch and saw the word, but in the winter? And I had to help prep and then take orders of it for a few years (during the summer) and that word would never have come to mind talking about secret police. It's a very unusual brain fart, is what I'm getting at, and the people that I know who I would assume are supporters of hers would absolutely eat up any chance for her to play the victim card.
Plus, didn't she give a Capitol tour to some people like two days before they were arrested in the riot? That was her, right? And now there is news of un-logged WH calls that day and all the improperly removed and destroyed documents? Seems suspicious.
Was she speaking off the cuff, or from notes? Off the cuff, she could have mispronounced Gestapo enough that is sounds more like the soup than the police even if she has never known what the soup is. If from notes, some aide typed this up, presumably her aides are drawn form the younger members of her loyal constituency. I am not impressed that the loyal members of her constituency is a particularly bright group, and most younger Americans I encounter spell like illiterate ESL speakers and then select the first word offered by spellcheck.

hector

Post by hector » Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:03 pm

Allentown wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:26 am But certainly there has to be at least one intelligent person around them, right?
I just saw a YouTube clip where she said that the Catholic Church imprisoned Gallileo because he thought the world was flat.
I think Green just says shit like this all the time.

If we're going to go down the 1/6 rabbit hole I think there's a lot of shit to tall about. Not the least of which is the explosive that was discovered early on and then never mentioned again. But I ultimately and strongly doubt Green was any kind of architect or mastermind or even aware prior.

DCR

Post by DCR » Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:34 pm

It was Boebert who apparently gave the tour. She’s smarter than Green, by a hair.

hector

Post by hector » Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:38 pm

DCR wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:34 pm It was Boebert who apparently gave the tour. She’s smarter than Green, by a hair.
For some reason, in my head, they're the same person. I understand that in reality they're different people representing different districts, but for some reason I just can't tell them apart and mentally I just identify them both as the MAGA female congressperson.