2020 POTUS ELECTION THREAD

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

mbasic

2020 POTUS ELECTION THREAD

Post by mbasic » Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:32 pm

Not looking forward to it.

Between the C19, the Floyd murder, protests turning to riots, lingering 2A thing ... I just can't even start to imagine what the debates will look like.
Just stop and think about that: Biden and Trump yelling at each other on national TV.
USA is going to look even more ******** than it already does.

I would think it would be a good for an Independent to get in there.
Could be the best chance ever for an Indie really....
But I'm afraid that would play into Trumps hands.

mettkeks

Re: 2020 POTUS ELECTION THREAD

Post by mettkeks » Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:35 pm

Is it still The Pedo vs. The God-Emperor? Screw debates, I want deathmatches!

Member Idiocracy?

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:46 pm

I’d vote for President Camacho.

BostonRugger
Edging Lord

Post by BostonRugger » Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:49 pm

mettkeks wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:35 pm I want deathmatches!
We need Celebrity Deathmatch back now more than ever.

augeleven

Post by augeleven » Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:56 pm

I’m 100% not enthused with Biden, but I’d much rather have Biden appointees to the depts of interior, education, state, SCOTUS, etc.

Trump has WWE wrassling experience, so I think I might give him the advantage in a death match. That being said, they both need to work on their conditioning. Maybe they can pick up some pointers from Thor and Eddie’s YouTube channels.

EggMcMuffin

Post by EggMcMuffin » Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:13 pm

As much as I don't want to happen, Trump will probably win by the biggest landslide in history. His base has apotheosized him. I don't mean that to be hyperbole, from what I've seen he can no wrong in the eyes of his base.

Even if Biden wins, I feel like the fact that we ever let things get to the point where every election is a pick between the lesser of two evils spells out the death knell of Western democracy. The people who make up Trumps base aren't going away, and the division he has wrought only increases the chance we're going to get an autocrat in the future. The rise of ultra right wing militias like the Proud Boys also worries me, since I doubt whoever is in office will make much of an effort to stamp them out. They're only going to grow in power and influence in the coming years, and we already have what were once very fringe beliefs relegated to the backrooms of imageboards and sites like AboveTopSecret and Stormfront are beginning to enter the mainstream conversative zeitgeist.

I'm not optimistic about the future.

mettkeks

Post by mettkeks » Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:19 pm

mgil wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:46 pm I’d vote for President Camacho.

augeleven wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:56 pm I’m 100% not enthused with Biden, but I’d much rather have Biden appointees to the depts of interior, education, state, SCOTUS, etc.

Trump has WWE wrassling experience, so I think I might give him the advantage in a death match. That being said, they both need to work on their conditioning. Maybe they can pick up some pointers from Thor and Eddie’s YouTube channels.

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:48 pm

mgil wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:46 pmI’d vote for President Camacho.
When presented with a problem President Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho found the smartest man and put him in charge of fixing it. We all need President Camacho.

DCR

Post by DCR » Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:35 pm

LoudMuffin wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:13 pm They're only going to grow in power and influence in the coming years, and we already have what were once very fringe beliefs relegated to the backrooms of imageboards and sites like AboveTopSecret and Stormfront are beginning to enter the mainstream conversative zeitgeist.
Stephen Miller is a senior advisor to the President.

hector

Post by hector » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:04 pm

augeleven wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:56 pm I’m 100% not enthused with Biden, but I’d much rather have Biden appointees to the depts of interior, education, state, SCOTUS, etc.

Trump doesn't just have WWE experience. He's in the WWE Hall of Fame!

hector

Post by hector » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:08 pm

LoudMuffin wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:13 pm As much as I don't want to happen, Trump will probably win by the biggest landslide in history. His base has apotheosized him. I don't mean that to be hyperbole, from what I've seen he can no wrong in the eyes of his base.
Only Trump can do no wrong?

Biden raped an employee in the hallway. D's still voting for him. They're not even in denial. Ishan Omar said she believes Reid, voting Biden regardless. #MeToo is largely OK with it.

With all the BLM going on Biden won't even admit his racist 94 crime bill was a mistake. Again, doesn't have to, his voters are as tenacious as Trump's.

Biden can do wrong to democrats.

Agree with the rest of your post. Im not optimistic for the future.

DCR

Post by DCR » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:14 pm

hector wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:08 pm
LoudMuffin wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:13 pm As much as I don't want to happen, Trump will probably win by the biggest landslide in history. His base has apotheosized him. I don't mean that to be hyperbole, from what I've seen he can no wrong in the eyes of his base.

Biden raped an employee in the hallway. D's still voting for him. They're not even in denial. Ishan Omar said she believes Reid, voting Biden regardless.

With all the BLM going on Biden won't even admit his racist 94 crime bill was a mistake. Again, doesn't have to, his voters are as tenacious as Trump's.

This is true (the Reade stuff excepted), but in fairness it's mainly due to Biden's opponent being who he is, not due to Biden being Biden. There is no Biden cult.

Omar is on an island re: Reade. I don't know of anyone else, publicly or privately, who believes her. I'm not saying that's right or wrong, only that outside of Omar, it's not an issue of people believing her but not caring. They don't believe her.

hector

Post by hector » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:25 pm

DCR wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:14 pm
hector wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:08 pm

Biden raped an employee in the hallway. D's still voting for him. They're not even in denial. Ishan Omar said she believes Reid, voting Biden regardless.

This is true (the Reade stuff excepted), but in fairness it's mainly due to Biden's opponent being who he is, not due to Biden being Biden. There is no Biden cult.

Omar is on an island re: Reade. I don't know of anyone else, publicly or privately, who believes her. I'm not saying that's right or wrong, only that outside of Omar, it's not an issue of people believing her but not caring. They don't believe her.
I'm sure there are other polls, but according to this one a 1/3 of Democrats believe Reade.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/thehill.co ... ault%3famp

There were a number of Democrats in the primaries I could have gotten behind. I was taken back once I realized how strong the bench was. Several of them would have eviscerated Trump in the debates. I wanted to vote D.

Then they went with the guy least likely to dominate the debates or know what was going on at any given moment. And then it came out he was a rapist.

Barring replacing Biden, it's unlikely I'll vote D now. I don't imagine I'm alone in feeling this way. But at the same time I think most of that 1/3 will stick around and vote Biden.
Last edited by hector on Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Culican

Post by Culican » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:36 pm

I saw Joe Biden speak at UCLA back in the 1970's. I don't remember what his speech was about but he took questions from the audience.

The first question was, "Senator Biden, what do you say to those who say that the D in Delaware stands for Dupont?" Biden stood there for a few moments and then replied, "Next question please."

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:57 pm

hector wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:08 pmBiden raped an employee in the hallway.
Is that your honest take on Tara Reade's allegation or are you being intentionally provocative to make a point?

Read following post: Oh, you believe Tara Reade. No one else has come forward with a similar story about Biden. Which is really the key indicator if allegations in the #metoo era are true. Since no one has despite ample time and Tara Reade's Megan Kelly moment...it is more than fair to take a look at the lone person that accuses Biden of sexual assault. Tara Reade is a lifelong grifter. A con man. She has a history of lying about everything. Numerous journalists and lawyers looked at her story and found it not credible. Even her own representation has now parted ways. I don't know much to say but we have to have some standard to use for allegations of these nature. And Tara Reade's allegation for a variety of reasons does not pass the smell test.

Trump has multiple rape, sexual harassment, and sexual assault allegations against him. Including numerous payouts and NDA's. At worst, we have to pick between two rapists in their 70's. Conservatives decided the 'greater good' was more important than Trump's moral character in 2016.

Why are progressives and liberals holding themselves to a higher standard? Progressive and liberals taking the high road is a losing strategy. Conservatives know it and love to play it up. We are in a winner takes all system. It's all out war baby. Conservatives understand this. When will the rest of us?

*To be clear, I don't believe Joe Biden guilty of sexual assault. I do believe he is guilty of sexual harassment and general misogyny that is common in men of his generation.
Last edited by aurelius on Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.

hector

Post by hector » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:03 pm

aurelius wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:57 pm
Is that your honest take on Tara Reade's allegation or are you being intentionally provocative to make a point?
Obviously I can't know for sure, but my instinct is to believe her. I had classmates who were interns on Capital Hill years ago. I think the entitlement felt by those people is incredible. And more than that she sounds, to me, like she's telling the truth.
That said, I also believed Ford so maybe I have a bias.

Do you have any reason to believe or not believe her?

DCR

Post by DCR » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:08 pm

hector wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:03 pm
Obviously I can't know for sure, but my instinct is to believe her. I had classmates who were interns on Capital Hill years ago. I think the entitlement felt by those people is incredible. And more than that she sounds, to me, like she's telling the truth.
I believed Ford as well.

I hadn't seen that poll, and am admittedly surprised by it. The "tick tock" tweet pretty much sunk it for me (in combination with the myriad other issues).

In any event, how are you squaring this with his opponent almost certainly being a rapist? Or are you voting third party?

hector

Post by hector » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:10 pm

DCR wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:08 pm
hector wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:03 pm
I believed Ford as well.

I hadn't seen that poll, and am admittedly surprised by it. The "tick tock" tweet pretty much sunk it for me (in combination with the myriad other issues).

In any event, how are you squaring this with his opponent almost certainly being a rapist? Or are you voting third party?
IDK.
I can't vote Trump.

Laughter95

Post by Laughter95 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:24 pm

Anyone have a list of prominent democrats who are now voting for Trump? Would be interested to read/listen to their viewpoints.

Republicans that are voting for Biden- correct me if I'm wrong:
Colin Powell:
James Mattis: https://www.axios.com/james-mattis-trum ... ad210.html
John Allen: https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/06/03/tr ... -protests/

Laughter95

Post by Laughter95 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:30 pm

hector wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:08 pm Biden raped an employee in the hallway.
Hope we'll be able to see the results of investigation. Preliminarily, this allegation may not be true:
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/w ... llegations <-- 74 staffers were interviewed and none of them supported Reade's allegation.

Seems like he has creepy tendencies but isn't a rapist.