sauerkraut

Recipes and such

Moderator: d0uevenlift

Idlehands
Sunshine + Unicorns

sauerkraut

Post by Idlehands » Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:22 am

Buddy was trading me his homemade sauerkraut for desserts.
Holy shit is it good. I am now making my own, with dill and cucumbers. I also have ghost peppers growing in the garden. Can't fucking wait to make a batch of that with dill cucumbers and garlic cloves!

hector

Re: sauerkraut

Post by hector » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:15 pm

This sounds amazing.

I'm not good at making stuff. I just had some of the raw, fermented sauerkraut with Persian pickles from Trader Joe's.

Skid

Post by Skid » Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:42 pm

Like a good squarehead I make a batch every year with cabbage from the garden. I've got one of those big crocks with the water seal to keep air out. Works pretty good! Tastes great and good for gut health too.

Idlehands
Sunshine + Unicorns

Post by Idlehands » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:09 am

My father did not like the dill with cucumbers(i guess pickles at the point) Though all my friends liked it. I have a plain batch fermenting now. Going to pick up some red cabbage and some beets and not sure what else for the one after this. Love the stuff. Free calories and gut health woooot!(well not so much the beets)

5hout

Post by 5hout » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:31 am

Skid wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:42 pm Like a good squarehead I make a batch every year with cabbage from the garden. I've got one of those big crocks with the water seal to keep air out. Works pretty good! Tastes great and good for gut health too.
Do you happen to have one with the original "lid" thing that sinks down into it? Some of the old ones are remarkably collectible, with the lid.

Skid

Post by Skid » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:22 pm

5hout wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:31 am
Skid wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:42 pm Like a good squarehead I make a batch every year with cabbage from the garden. I've got one of those big crocks with the water seal to keep air out. Works pretty good! Tastes great and good for gut health too.
Do you happen to have one with the original "lid" thing that sinks down into it? Some of the old ones are remarkably collectible, with the lid.
Mine has a couple of flat, semi-circular pieces of ceramic that press down on the kraut. The lid stays on top and forms the water seal that keeps air/spores/bacteria/etc. out.

Similar to this - https://www.upayanaturals.com/Fermentat ... sIQAvD_BwE

Idlehands
Sunshine + Unicorns

Post by Idlehands » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:00 am

finsished a plain one. it's boring. but good
started a red cabbage, beet, and garlic one. this i'm excited for. all the antioxidents

Melen

Post by Melen » Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:48 pm

5hout wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:31 am
I want to get into this also, it appears that the fermentation crocks aren't that much money.

https://www.rootsandharvest.com/product ... 4dEALw_wcB

There are some nicer looking ones on etsy but for a 2gallon one may cost more than the 5 gallon one listed on that site. I think im going to buy a 5 gal one and do some canning.