Is Myprotein a scam?

What's a carb? A car part? What's a macro? A type of camera lens?

Moderator: Manveer

asdf

Is Myprotein a scam?

Post by asdf » Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:07 pm

BLUF
I think Myprotein is engaging in misleading advertising. I have no idea where their product comes from. They do not seem to have any third-party certifications for the protein they sell in the U.S. I think I'm going to resume ordering from NOW Sports off Amazon. I welcome comments and advice.

1. Misleading Advertising

Here's their page for Impact Whey Protein Isolate. If you scroll to the bottom, you'll see an Informed-Sport logo, among others. The implication is that their Impact Whey Isolate protein is certified by Informed-Sport. In fact, the footer of certification logos is present regardless of which supplement you view. Thus, the implication is that all of their products are Informed-Sport certified.

But if you go to the Informed-Sport site, and look at their list of certified brands and products, you'll see that in fact very few of Myprotein's products are certified and that Impact Whey Isolate in particular is not.

Impact Whey Isolate ELITE is listed as being Informed-Sport certified, but that product doesn't appear on their U.S. website, just U.K.

I don't really care whether my protein has been tested to be free of banned substances per se, but I take it to be some slight measure of quality.

2. Unlabeled Packaging

The bags of Impact Whey Protein that I receive do not list any of the certifications that appear on their site. In fact, the bag doesn't even list the place of manufacture, packing, or country-source of ingredients. Because they're a U.K. company and list various European certifications on their website -- even on their U.S. website -- I guess I assumed that's where the product was coming from.

The only address listed on the bag is 1350 Cedar Grove Rd, Shepardsville, KY. It doesn't say that the product is made there or shipped from there or anything really. It's just an address listed on the bag.

3. Customer Complaints

A Google search of that address turned up their Better Business Bureau page, which is littered with complaints -- the first being from Yale University!

4. Versus NOW Sports

The NOW Sports Whey Protein Isolate that I was previously ordering from Amazon comes in a tub with logos indicating three NSF certifications (Informed-Sport, Informed-Choice, and GMP Quality Assured). The container also states, "Quality tested and packaged by Now Foods, 395 S. Glen Ellyn Rd., Bloomingdale IL. I have no idea whether these are actually worth much, but at least NOW is not listing one thing on their website and then shipping their product in an essentially unmarked bag.

d0uevenlift
Paparazzo

Re: Is Myprotein a scam?

Post by d0uevenlift » Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:05 pm

In short, no. But then again, I don't know how you define a scam other than the few points you brought up.

Having the logo of a testing body on the footer of your website doesn't necessarily mean that every single product on your site has been tested by that body. That would be impossible, or it would cost MyProtein a fortune. On my own website, I have a logo that says I'm a WPJA award winner, but that doesn't mean every single photo on my site has won an award.

You're also concerned about product testing, or you at least take it to be "some measure of quality." Labdoor has rated MyProtein Impact Whey Isolate very highly. https://labdoor.com/review/myprotein-im ... ey-isolate

Labdoor has been funded by Rock Health, Mark Cuban and Y Combinator if you're big on background and credentials.

Not sure what you mean by unlabeled packaging. I had a 5lb bag of MyProtein rocky road in the past and it was labeled clearly. Here is a photo of the U.S. packaging and it clearly says it's made in the USA, along with the Kentucky address, and the name of the holding company right beneath it in big bold letters https://static.labdoor.com/images/produ ... 99b7-b.jpg

I have a plastic tub of MyProtein The Whey at home, which is a whey protein isolate product, and the tub clearly shows an address and the holding company name as well.

The customer complaints is against the holding company, most of which are directed at its beauty products. The Yale complaint was a billing issue that now looks like it was resolved, not a protein quality issue, saying nothing of the BBB being a giant rant board no better than Yelp.

So, now long story long, no MyProtein isn't a scam.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:10 pm

Banned substances?

Whey is not a custom supplement, it's a food. Adding anything is only an expense to the repackager.
Of course, they add the flavor and sweetener to the flavored versions.
But then again, they get to use less actual whey when they do.
I assume there is a price difference over unflavored, i haven't checked as i only buy unflavored.

These "Brands"/companies do not make whey.
Large dairy concerns make this stuff.
Glanbia, Milk Specialities, etc...

The bags i get list whey proten concentrate and sunflower lecithin.
Same as the 20 kilo bags i was buying from bulk supplements until they jacked up their price.
When you buy their "Clean" brand in smaller amounts, you get one of their bags.
When you buy 20 kilos from them, you get a bag from the plant where it was actually made. (Plant numbers are on the bags)
These are the same bags they breakdown and repackage themselves.
Chances are good your whey was made in New Mexico or Wisconsin.
Those are places listed on 20 kilo bags i've purchased.

As for MyProtein, It smells the same, and mixes the same as any other whey i've used.
It is by far my primary protein source, and i am adding muscle in my current comeback to lifting.
Clearly and visually. Love those dips.

My main complaint with MyProtein, is there site is janky, and i have to check the actual prices when i use codes.
Sometimes a 45% off code yields 40% off.

It's whey protein.

mouse

Post by mouse » Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:03 am

Wilhelm wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:10 pm Banned substances?
Be a lot cooler if they did...

Anyway, no I don't think any of it is a scam. I used them for years up until super super recently, and that's only because the flavor I ordered for some reason just never shipped. Honestly it's the only "bad" experience I had which is more to customer support than the product. I waited nearly a MONTH before asking to be refunded with no explanation of why it never shipped, but when I did ask the refund was super fast.

In the interim I caved and ordered a small tub of Redcon1 and now I don't know if I can ever go back because holy crap it tastes so damn good.

asdf

Post by asdf » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:26 am

d0uevenlift wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:05 pm Having the logo of a testing body on the footer of your website doesn't necessarily mean that every single product on your site has been tested by that body.
It would be easy to display the logo only on the pages of products that are actually certified. That's what NOW Sports and many other companies do. More importantly, I just checked and NONE of the products Myprotein sells on its U.S. site are certified by Informed-Sport. So why have the logo anywhere?
d0uevenlift wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:05 pm You're also concerned about product testing, or you at least take it to be "some measure of quality." Labdoor has rated MyProtein Impact Whey Isolate very highly. https://labdoor.com/review/myprotein-im ... ey-isolate
Their high ratings on Labdoor was the main reason I began buying Myprotein. However, I'm not confident that what was tested by Labdoor two years ago is what I'm buying now. See below.
d0uevenlift wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:05 pmNot sure what you mean by unlabeled packaging. I had a 5lb bag of MyProtein rocky road in the past and it was labeled clearly. Here is a photo of the U.S. packaging and it clearly says it's made in the USA, along with the Kentucky address, and the name of the holding company right beneath it in big bold letters https://static.labdoor.com/images/produ ... 99b7-b.jpg
That is NOT what my packaging looks like, nor does it match the current packaging shown on Myprotein's site. Myprotein doesn't even show the back of the package on their site. My package does NOT say anything about where it's manufactured or the source of the ingredients. That they removed such information from their packaging makes me even more suspicious.
d0uevenlift wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:05 pmThe customer complaints is against the holding company, most of which are directed at its beauty products. The Yale complaint was a billing issue that now looks like it was resolved, not a protein quality issue, saying nothing of the BBB being a giant rant board no better than Yelp.
I think the complains are relevant as they indicate shady business practices.

Thanks for your detailed response. I appreciate it.

asdf

Post by asdf » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:45 am

Wilhelm wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:10 pm Chances are good your whey was made in New Mexico or Wisconsin. Those are places listed on 20 kilo bags i've purchased.
Then why isn't "Made in the USA" on my bag?
Wilhelm wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:10 pm It's whey protein.
We hope!

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:50 am

Oh yeah.

I hadn't thought about how much more cost effective it would be for them to import huge amounts of a product that is readily available here.

asdf

Post by asdf » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:58 am

Wilhelm wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:50 am I hadn't thought about how much more cost effective it would be for them to import huge amounts of a product that is readily available here.
You don't think whey from China might be cheaper than sourcing in the U.S.?

The image of their packaging on Labdoor states:

This product contains ingredients of international and domestic origin.

So something in their whey protein product was coming from out of country. There are only two ingredients listed: whey protein isolate and soy lecithin.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:04 am

You're the consumer, and you have decisions to make.

Personally, i think you are chasing non issues, but it is your choice.

Lecithin is what instantizes the powder.
It's why this stuff doesn't lump when you mix it.

Maybye canada grows a lot of sunflowers.
The cheese making plants that produce all the whey, have to source lecithin somewhere.

#blessedarethecheesemakers

asdf

Post by asdf » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:23 am

Thanks for your thoughts, everyone.

Maybe I'm being paranoid.

I still think their site is deceptive for listing certifications that don't apply to any of their products.

mouse

Post by mouse » Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:13 pm

asdf wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:23 am Thanks for your thoughts, everyone.

I still think their site is deceptive for listing certifications that don't apply to any of their products.
I mean the easy answer to all of this is to just start eating more steak/chicken/eggs hahaha...

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:33 pm

mouse wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:13 pm
asdf wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:23 am Thanks for your thoughts, everyone.

I mean the easy answer to all of this is to just start eating more steak/chicken/eggs hahaha...
Chicken is a PED.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:41 pm

Wilhelm wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:04 am The cheese making plants that produce all the whey, have to source lecithin somewhere.
#blessedarethecheesemakers
They're having a big problem right now because of the Thing.

Get ready for a massive whey spike in the near future.

BeTtEr sTOcK uPP N0w !!!11!1!!

asdf

Post by asdf » Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:44 pm

mouse wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:13 pm I mean the easy answer to all of this is to just start eating more steak/chicken/eggs hahaha...
Yeah, because the quality of those things is completely transparent. /s

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:08 pm

asdf wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:44 pm
mouse wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:13 pm I mean the easy answer to all of this is to just start eating more steak/chicken/eggs hahaha...
Yeah, because the quality of those things is completely transparent. /s
Huh? Are you really worried about whether you’re getting adequate protein quality when eating steak and chicken???

asdf

Post by asdf » Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:45 pm

TimK wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:08 pm Huh? Are you really worried about whether you’re getting adequate protein quality when eating steak and chicken???
No, not protein quality. Other quality issues -- antibiotics, hormones, animal welfare, etc.

-not an expert

asdf

Post by asdf » Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:54 pm

A better response...
Protein powder is so much more convenient.

PC

Post by PC » Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:03 pm

I remember this repackaging; from what is shown on labdoor, to what we receive now. I thought the new packaging looked "watered-down," or more like a budget product, but I didn't think much of it.

However, it was around this time that I decided the whey concentrate was giving me the BG's. Consequently, I switched to their isolate. I still have the half-bag of concentrate (new packaging) in my cupboard.

@asdf, I think you're on to something. If nothing else, I can believe their quality went down.

Manveer
M3N4C3

Post by Manveer » Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:27 pm

Their customer service sucks. I have been buying from them for 4+ years, though, so it doesn’t suck badly enough for me to pay more elsewhere.

BBB is a shitty organization, based on my limited personal experience. Seems like I’m not the only one, though: https://money.cnn.com/2015/09/30/news/b ... index.html

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:36 pm

So how does this work?

This huge, successful company, that has expanded from the UK to America, risks its own demise by "cutting" the whey with some other substance, and expects that no one will ever find out.

There is no rationale here.
They are easily making money repackaging this dairy waste product already.
It's not like it's cocaine.

The concentrate looks, smells, and behaves, exactly the same as the bulk stuff i've gotten in 20 kilo manufacturer's bags straight from the plant. (via a reseller)

**Oh yeah, then they have to ensure none of their workers ever breathes a word of this nefarious scheme.