china, China, CHINA

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

mbasic

china, China, CHINA

Post by mbasic » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:53 pm

Starting a new china thread.
I thought we had one, but that was the Hong Kong Thread....and the NBA in China Thread.
Don't want to clog the Conoravirus thread with China stuff

A part of me thinks this is the beginning of the end for China (like a USSR breakup)
- The virus is doing much more damage there then the let out.
- The world economic fallout might hit them pretty bad.
- Other reasons too long too list.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Here's a riot on the bridge between Hubei province and the JaingXi province.
The lock-down in Wuhan/Hubei has been eased-up.
Hubei-ers wanting to take the opportunity to get the fuck out of that area (from some mysterious reason).
People in JaingXi ...the local Police actually blocking the bridge coming into town.
Riot ensues, etc.

MPat

Re: china, China, CHINA

Post by MPat » Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:29 pm

I’ve grown interested in this topic as well, I don’t know a lot about China so I’ll follow along. I know a lot of our stuff comes from there. Hell I bought this 40volt ryobi weed eater the other day, thinking I’d get more things like the blower, and maybe a mower for my smaller areas, now I had the thought of what that availability will be if everyone up and hates China now.

DoctorWho

Post by DoctorWho » Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:41 pm

I thought like every enlightened person that free market economics would make China more liberal. Now it just seemed to have made them a more powerful and bold enemy.

Stealing technology and all the spying, I thought that was just the price to pay. But fentanyl and the Ughurs, including sending male party members to live with the families of imprisoned fathers, pushed me over the edge.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:13 pm

China reporting zero covid19 deaths. !st time since January.

https://www.usnews.com/news/world-repor ... ce-january

Seems bullshitty.

What is odd too, I read that over there inside China, the "zero deaths in a day" really isn't a story or front page news inside their own country
...from their own media.

But its a thing being reported outside of China?

EDIT: oh I found it of CGTN, but you had to scroll and scroll and click <more> a couple of times.

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:35 pm

CCP is full of shit about the numbers of deaths. I just read a few articles yesterday talking about the world trying to sue China for lying and negligence by not reporting. That would be amazing if it did happen.

SquatsALot

Post by SquatsALot » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:16 pm

What's the point? It was obvious they had a serious fucking problem when they had to shut down an entire province, and it was already spread to Italy. If a country has to shut down an entire region, why the hell did any of us (myself included) assume that it was even possible it wouldn't spread worldwide?

Shame on them, but also shame on us for being stupid.

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:35 pm

They would be most likely found to be monetarily responsible for the economic damage.

Now would they pay? That is the real question. It could be pay up or face serious sanctions. Will that happen? Probably not. But I like the idea.

Think of them as a corporation. If a corporation lied and costs other corporation trillions they would get sued.

Culican

Post by Culican » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:18 pm

They are going to pay up anyway. The decline in all the other country's economies will cut deeply into what China sells. Other countries will also be looking for other suppliers so as not to be so dependent on China.

DoctorWho

Post by DoctorWho » Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:48 am

zappey1 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:35 pm They would be most likely found to be monetarily responsible for the economic damage.

Now would they pay? That is the real question. It could be pay up or face serious sanctions. Will that happen? Probably not. But I like the idea.

Think of them as a corporation. If a corporation lied and costs other corporation trillions they would get sued.
China cracked the economic code. Free up the economics of the country but the Party officials and government entities own a chunk of important companies. Be just totalitarian enough so everyone obeys. Then spy like a MFer through the technology.

They've proven wrong the L-R consensus that economic success and trade liberalize a country and make it a partner instead of a competitor. Just my armchair opinion.

Philbert

Post by Philbert » Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:56 am

Communism works great if you just get rid of that central economic planning and full common ownership of the means of production part . . .

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:01 am

zappey1 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:35 pm They would be most likely found to be monetarily responsible for the economic damage.
nah, the whole idea of that (i realize its not your idea) is stupid.

america should get sued (by the World) for the 2008 financial collapse

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:15 am

I like how some people completely dismiss the "it escaped the Wuhan lab" thing.

I saw a new article run on CNN, where the Expert said, "there aren't any Bats in virus labs"

....well
(Nov., 2017)
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-017-07766-9

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:48 pm

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:07 am

this is classic china right here, about 3+ layers to it ...

https://www.wsj.com/articles/amid-coron ... _lead_pos8

DoctorWho

Post by DoctorWho » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:05 am

China preventing exports. From US companies to the US:
https://www.wsj.com/articles/chinas-exp ... 1587031203

mbasic

Hong Kong has fallen ...

Post by mbasic » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:56 am

...do you think we will see a lot of "refugees"? ... mass exodus from HK?

With that new security law, the CCP will just keep arresting people to no end, because they can.
I'm guessing when around 1,000 to 10,000 political dissidents get shipped off to the Chinese gulags .... it will sink in to the remaining HK'ers that the only option is to get the fuck out. Especially if they were a "rabble-rouser" at any point in time.

They're totally fucked.

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:55 am

DoctorWho wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:48 amThey've proven wrong the L-R consensus that economic success and trade liberalize a country and make it a partner instead of a competitor. Just my armchair opinion.
Which echoes many policy makers opinions. This was the prevailing thought for Clinton, Bush, and Obama. China was 'growing up'.

This was in no small part China has been making the US feel wealthier in the short term. The US has borrowed $1.1 trillion from the Chinese. That is a terrible weapon to give any country. Especially one that is not our friend.

*I should note that the Japanese are the largest debt holder have loaned us $1.27 trillion.

To say something positive about the Trump administration: Even though I definitely disagree with the execution and lack of plan, Trump's so called 'trade war' with China has forced many US companies and investors to consider different partners and supply chains. Moving forward, I would like whatever Administration to have a planned broadening of US trade partners and specifically supply chains. If China won't play by the rules (they have tariffs against WTO agreements and undervalue their currency which is in effect a tariff) then we need to pay a little bit more and solidify relationships with partners who will.

mettkeks

Post by mettkeks » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:23 am

aurelius wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:55 am (they have tariffs against WTO agreements and undervalue their currency which is in effect a tariff)
Tip of the Iceberg. They still enjoy developing nation status, i.e. enjoy all the benefits without giving anything back. They don't even play by what little rules they have to while the rest of the world is paying taxes to subsidize their unfair advantages, meanwhile domestic industries break apart because the chines buy everything and spy on tech like crazy. A trade war is imminent.

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:19 pm

mettkeks wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:23 amTip of the Iceberg. They still enjoy developing nation status, i.e. enjoy all the benefits without giving anything back. They don't even play by what little rules they have to while the rest of the world is paying taxes to subsidize their unfair advantages, meanwhile domestic industries break apart because the chines buy everything and spy on tech like crazy. A trade war is imminent.
Agreed. I have a previous rant that went more indepth to many of China's aggressive and outright menacing behaviors. In short: China is not our friend and we need to start figuring a way out of this toxic relationship.

hector

Post by hector » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:21 pm

aurelius wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:19 pm
mettkeks wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:23 amTip of the Iceberg. They still enjoy developing nation status, i.e. enjoy all the benefits without giving anything back. They don't even play by what little rules they have to while the rest of the world is paying taxes to subsidize their unfair advantages, meanwhile domestic industries break apart because the chines buy everything and spy on tech like crazy. A trade war is imminent.
Agreed. I have a previous rant that went more indepth to many of China's aggressive and outright menacing behaviors. In short: China is not our friend and we need to start figuring a way out of this toxic relationship.
Yeah, I guess.

But Titan has greatly improved the quality of their lifting equipment while keeping prices down, so im hesitant to cut China off just yet.

At least until I'm done building my home gym.