mettkeks

Arnold Classic Cancelled

Post by mettkeks » Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:54 pm

Thanks Corona panic.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Re: Arnold Classic Cancelled

Post by Wilhelm » Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:06 pm

Silver lining may be the emcees are 50% less annoying without an audience.

It will be weird seeing the strongman with no audience.

Wait, they are still going to livestream it, right? RIGHT?

asdf

Post by asdf » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:33 pm

Streaming from his mansion with his miniature ponies grazing in the background.

mouse

Post by mouse » Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:33 am

Wilhelm wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:06 pm It will be weird seeing the strongman with no audience.
Way less weird if you've been to a local strongman contest.

I think they are allowing spectators on Saturday for the final stuff... so maybe it will only be a little weird.

LexAnderson
small whoopie mouse

Post by LexAnderson » Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:51 am

I can't help but feel that maybe this was really beyond Arnolds control. I'm not exactly sure how much say and power he has over the whole thing other than just having his name attached to it at this point. But I can't help but wonder if maybe this was the only option to keep the show going at all. I would assume that the state and local entities were putting heavy pressure on the convention center for hosting the events this weekend, and maybe they even threatened to step in and somehow shut the whole thing down with health concerns and such.

If that's the case then maybe cancelling the expo was the only way to keep the show going in some capacity this weekend. It was very bad timing of course, and I would assume that the vendors who paid for booths and the people who bought tickets to the expo will have their money refunded because the expo was cancelled. I feel for everyone involved because Columbus is going to suffer from businesses not making the money from the visitors, the venders who make a large profit for the year at this expo, and the fans who bought tickers and hotel reservations.

bobmen10000

Post by bobmen10000 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:27 am

I am an idiot and it dawned on me that the Arnold should likely be postponed/cancelled last weekend before I heard about the petition. I have a terrible feeling the only reason this gained traction was the online petition (which wasn't that popular) getting picked up by a few internet news aggregaters, which in turned made it to the local tv & radio news that someone in the mayors and governors offices actually paid attention to.

It sucks they waited this long, a lot of vendors and attendees were already in town. I hope they make it right - as much as possible - for the vendors.

mettkeks

Post by mettkeks » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:31 am

bobmen10000 wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:27 am I am an idiot and it dawned on me that the Arnold should likely be postponed/cancelled last weekend before I heard about the petition. I have a terrible feeling the only reason this gained traction was the online petition (which wasn't that popular) getting picked up by a few internet news aggregaters, which in turned made it to the local tv & radio news that someone in the mayors and governors offices actually paid attention to.

It sucks they waited this long, a lot of vendors and attendees were already in town. I hope they make it right - as much as possible - for the vendors.
F1 is delayed. MotoGP is delayed. FIBO fitness expo is delayed to fall 2020. The PANIC is real.

LexAnderson
small whoopie mouse

Post by LexAnderson » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:05 am

I've been checking every so often for any news on what they will do with the vendors and ticket holders to the expo as far as refunding their money, but haven't seen anything yet. I think that the best solution is just refund them their money back.

mouse

Post by mouse » Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:21 am

LexAnderson wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:05 am I've been checking every so often for any news on what they will do with the vendors and ticket holders to the expo as far as refunding their money, but haven't seen anything yet. I think that the best solution is just refund them their money back.
People that had tickets for the finals on Saturday are going to be allowed in. No vendors.

Contests go on as planned, livestream is still on, haven't heard about refunds for vendors but Kalle Beck posted an email that shows the organizers are only refunding a whopping 5% of furnishing fees and freight costs for the vendors... which is bullshit.

I would assume hotels made out like bandits in this.

LexAnderson
small whoopie mouse

Post by LexAnderson » Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:42 am

mouse wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:21 am
LexAnderson wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:05 am I've been checking every so often for any news on what they will do with the vendors and ticket holders to the expo as far as refunding their money, but haven't seen anything yet. I think that the best solution is just refund them their money back.
People that had tickets for the finals on Saturday are going to be allowed in. No vendors.

Contests go on as planned, livestream is still on, haven't heard about refunds for vendors but Kalle Beck posted an email that shows the organizers are only refunding a whopping 5% of furnishing fees and freight costs for the vendors... which is bullshit.

I would assume hotels made out like bandits in this.
Sucks so bad for the vendors, but what about people who had tickets to the expo and paid for those early entry passes? I would assume that they will honor those when they have the expo (if they have it) in the summer like Arnold mentioned, but what about the people who can't afford those plane tickets and hotel costs a second time?

My buddy is there with his wife who is competing, and they had to get tested for the virus on arrival at the venue. He mentioned that they met a lady who flew from Africa to go to the expo this weekend. She couldn't cancel her reservations and get a refund and couldn't get a refund from the air lines either. That just sucks for her and people like her.

ch

Post by ch » Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:42 am

@LexAnderson was your buddy able to get in? I’m here with my wife who is a fencer, and she was told no spectators except parents/guardians of minors.

Also I think you’re exactly right based on the news articles I read. The Arnold people said, “if you’re allowing NHL and NBA games, we’re allowing spectators,” and sent out emails to sports organizers saying such. Then the government came back and threatened legal action.

This article explains it best. I wonder how city officials feel. I wouldn’t be surprised if Columbus loses the festival over this.

LexAnderson
small whoopie mouse

Post by LexAnderson » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:02 am

ch wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:42 am @LexAnderson was your buddy able to get in? I’m here with my wife who is a fencer, and she was told no spectators except parents/guardians of minors.

Also I think you’re exactly right based on the news articles I read. The Arnold people said, “if you’re allowing NHL and NBA games, we’re allowing spectators,” and sent out emails to sports organizers saying such. Then the government came back and threatened legal action.

This article explains it best. I wonder how city officials feel. I wouldn’t be surprised if Columbus loses the festival over this.
He was able to get in because he's her coach so he has a coaches pass. I could see Columbus possibly losing it if another city comes forward and give the show runners a better deal. A lot of people still went though because they had hotels and flights planned so it just gonna be a big party I think.

ch

Post by ch » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:29 am

Well I was just within spitting distance of the man himself. Not much security where I am. I assume there’s more for the more popular events.

5hout

Post by 5hout » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:35 am

ch wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:29 am Well I was just within spitting distance of the man himself. Not much security where I am. I assume there’s more for the more popular events.
Pretty cool! Sad I never bothered to go when I was still fencing enough the justify the drive, I've heard it's a really fun event.

ch

Post by ch » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:41 am

5hout wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:35 am Pretty cool! Sad I never bothered to go when I was still fencing enough the justify the drive, I've heard it's a really fun event.
It’s gotten better in the past few years. It used to be really youth oriented. The adult events were an afterthought. Now it’s an ROC (for non-fencers, that means you can get national points) so the adult events are bigger.

This is my first time here. Obviously I’m not getting the full experience.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:40 pm

Tired of having your faith in humanity restored?

Watch one streamed sporting event with a live chat.

mettkeks

Post by mettkeks » Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:45 pm

Wilhelm wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:40 pm Tired of having your faith in humanity restored?

Hide chat on default settings.

Oh, I see, it's about Kearney.

That's why I don't care about the chats.

Edit: Got to the Womens Strongman part. Oh boy...

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:49 pm

mettkeks wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:45 pm
Wilhelm wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:40 pm Tired of having your faith in humanity restored?

Hide chat on default settings.

Oh, I see, it's about Kearney.

That's why I don't care about the chats.
Oh, i'm not watching it with chat on.
Most of the time i just go full screen.

But in those short instances when it's shown, i see the shit show.

Not only Kearney, but as soon as the strongwomen were on, the incels were losing their shit.

ch

Post by ch » Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:43 pm

Easiest way to get in without anyone questioning you... body paint.