fury v wilder

Powerlifting, Olympic Weightlifting, Strongman, Highland Games

Moderator: Manveer

cole

fury v wilder

Post by cole » Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:05 am

anyone have any thoughts on the gypsy kings TKO of deonte wilder?

i had wilder winning even though i knew fury was a better "fighter" i figured wilder would land just one of his ridiculous eraser blows throughout the fight. fury is good. 4 belts in all 4 major feds.

TheDuke

Re: fury v wilder

Post by TheDuke » Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:06 pm

Fury got robbed last time so he made sure this time that judges don't screw him.
He battered Wilder like he owed him money, vicious 8-)

Skid

Post by Skid » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:14 pm

TheDuke wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:06 pm Fury got robbed last time so he made sure this time that judges don't screw him.
Heh, seemed like the ref was on the payroll too.
TheDuke wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:06 pm He battered Wilder like he owed him money, vicious 8-)
Wasn't even close. Just a complete beat down.

Wingspan

Post by Wingspan » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:18 pm

Great performance by fury

Good to see a top heavyweight come out looking for a stoppage but still boxing intelligently.

TheDuke

Post by TheDuke » Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:54 am

Skid wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:14 pm Heh, seemed like the ref was on the payroll too.
Yep, saved Wilder few times, took a point from Fury without a reason, didn't rule one or two knockdowns...
Still didn’t help, Fury was on a mission.

Hawkpeter

Post by Hawkpeter » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:34 pm

If Wilder elects to take the re-match, then we know that his management have not much sway over him. But he may feel that he may not get another shot if he goes the long way around.

You'd speculate that he needs a new coach, it would be very difficult to change his style now but he has to at least change tactics and be aware that the blueprint on beating him is now clear. Whyte, Ruiz and Joshua would love to get a piece of Wilder now. They may not necessarily beat him but they would go in with a tonne more confidence than before, and Wilder has been getting so much out of the plain fear of his killer right hand.

Fury looks unbeatable. Tremendous belief in himself to go with the boxing skills he already had and stamina which seems inconsistent with his visual appearance. Most people would say that a fight with Joshua would be one-sided but I think that there are a few things to consider.

1) We almost certainly put too much stock in the Ruiz loss. It seems quite likely that Joshua was indeed concussed in training leading up to that fight as the first time Ruiz hit him Joshua was not the same and looked terrible. To his credit he trained hard, came back and won the re-match easily.
2) Joshua can actually take a hit, the Ruiz fight was probably an outlier. In the Klitchko fight he was knocked down then came back and won. In the Whyte fight it was an absolute brawl and Joshua took several hard shots and then finished Whyte strongly.
3) Joshua is an athlete, he can box and move. A lot will come down to how Fury approaches this eventual title unification. Joshua I think will have to get in close to Fury with a great inside game, change levels consistently and if Fury is happy to try to accumulate rounds then it could at least go the distance.

Fans are extremely fortunate right now.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:51 am

what

a

tool
Wilder said the outfit – which he said was a tribute to Black History Month weighed him down and that his legs weren’t right by the time the fight started. Wilder said the entire getup, including a mask, weighed some 40 pounds, and he knew by the end of the second round that his legs were gone

https://www.rep-am.com/sports/pro/2020/ ... d-fatigue/

LexAnderson
small whoopie mouse

Post by LexAnderson » Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:18 am

I've heard this excuse by Wilder about his costume weight, and I am sure every active duty service member and veteran are laughing at him for that.

I think that he has to take the rematch, he can't afford to go through another 2-3 fights to earn a shot at the title again. Gotta get back in there and try to get the belt back as fast as possible.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:21 am

LexAnderson wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:18 am I've heard this excuse by Wilder about his costume weight, and I am sure every active duty service member and veteran are laughing at him for that.
Yep
I think that he has to take the rematch, he can't afford to go through another 2-3 fights to earn a shot at the title again. Gotta get back in there and try to get the belt back as fast as possible.
And what Wilder's co-corner-man did by throwing in the towel makes the 3rd fight more of a reality now. So poo poo on Wilder for "firing" that guy, or saying anything bad about that decision. That was the only sensible decision wilder or his team made that night.

He would've taking a beating otherwise.
Probably would/will NOT have come back as fast, or as well (for a 3rd fight) if had not been stopped.....let alone some very mild brain damage (which probably ALL boxers have varying degrees of). But also just from a confidence standpoint.

LexAnderson
small whoopie mouse

Post by LexAnderson » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:11 am

@mbasic I read that Wilder had to get seven stitches inside his ear, and most likely ruptured his eardrum and that was causing balance issues.

I don't think he was going to be able to come back from his knockdowns unless he landed his right hand and knocked Fury out. That's always possible, but with his equilibrium messed up it was going to be hard to land it with any accuracy or power.

I think it benefits him that the towel was thrown in because it wasn't a "normal" ref stoppage or TKO. So he will always be able to argue that he wasn't going to quit and his corner cost him the fight.

TheDuke

Post by TheDuke » Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:46 am

I don't see a point in a third fight.

Most people had Fury winning the first, and in the second he just obliterated Wilder.

But it's up to promoters I guess.

Would be great to see Fury vs Joshua next.

LexAnderson
small whoopie mouse

Post by LexAnderson » Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:08 pm

TheDuke wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:46 am I don't see a point in a third fight.

Most people had Fury winning the first, and in the second he just obliterated Wilder.

But it's up to promoters I guess.

Would be great to see Fury vs Joshua next.
From a fans perspective, do I want to see a third one? No.

But from Wilder's perspective, does he want a 3rd fight and automatic shot at the belt again? I would think so.

Fury and Joshua would be a good fight as well to watch, but we may have to wait a little longer to see it.

cole

Post by cole » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:08 pm

Hawkpeter wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:34 pm

Fans are extremely fortunate right now.
agreed

Wingspan

Post by Wingspan » Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:39 pm

I'm really enjoying heavyweight boxing at the moment.

The standard is not great, heavy usually suffers from a dearth of talent anyway but fury is genuinely talented and there are a lot of compelling match ups to be made in the top ten.

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:13 pm

Wilder got handled. I don't know that he should take the fight unless he has some amazing coaching by July. Another beat down like that could be the end of his big payday carrier.

Making excuses about his walk out costume is not going to cut it.