Coronavirus

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

mbasic

Re: Coronavirus

Post by mbasic » Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:53 am

Brackish wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:30 am 100% anecdotal, but the kids are getting more "normal" by the year, at least at my middle school. You might be surprised how quickly they can adjust compared to us old folks that are set in our ways. Sure, some things will stick with them, maybe even permanently, but they're mostly back to their "normal", hormone-poisoned, selves here. Or at least seem to be.

curious, what grade do you teach?

and have you been teaching the same grade the last four years?

hector

Post by hector » Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:15 pm

mbasic wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:05 pm
Culican wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:41 am School attendance is still down. The effects of covid and the lockdowns are going to reverberate for a long time.
https://fortune.com/2023/08/11/school-c ... stay-home/

There will also be long-lasting effects on certain age groups due to their social development being disrupted. I use the example of a feral cat. If a feral cat gives birth to kittens in your back yard there is a window lasting only several weeks where those kittens can be socialized and taught to trust humans. If that period is missed they will always be skittish or downright wild despite anyone's efforts to tame them. Of course human development is more complex and socialization window is longer but it is not a stretch to say that a couple years of lockdowns and other disruptions and the hiding of facial expressions, which are large part of human communication, behind masks will not have long-lasting or permanent effects.
The massive proliferation and the quasi-normalization of "online schooling" ....because of covid.... has contributed big time.

Wife's cousin has not put her kid back into school since covid.
The kid is even moreso socially maladjusted than he would be otherwise ...
... was just a tad nerdy or whatever. Now? .... aw man I feel bad for him. (e.g. no friends/acquaintances/classmates)
Also I / we thinks its a convenience (better said: lazy) thing too....the kids parents are
divorced and both remarried. They share/rotate custody.
Now, neither one of the parents have to shuttle him to school across town.
Both parents have good/decent incomes, and it wasn't killing them to do this BEFORE 2020....
....but now its just toooooo convenient for the kid to log on, and have "school" anywhere.
He'll be able to drive himself in another year or two, but after several years of online classes, I
doubt he'll go back to any kind of traditional in person schooling.

My son has 3 friends who have dropped out of high school over the last 3 years, and all are doing "virtual" now fill time.
You would have never heard of these things before 2020.
That’s depressing.
But also insightful.

conssam

Post by conssam » Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:01 am

We have been living with this virus around us for over three years, and I don't think it will cause more damage than it already did. Of course, it's sad to see people dying from different viruses, especially kids, but we can't put our lives on hold forever. We can take care of ourselves and make sure we are not a danger to the population.

Brackish

Post by Brackish » Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:55 pm

mbasic wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:53 am
Brackish wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:30 am 100% anecdotal, but the kids are getting more "normal" by the year, at least at my middle school. You might be surprised how quickly they can adjust compared to us old folks that are set in our ways. Sure, some things will stick with them, maybe even permanently, but they're mostly back to their "normal", hormone-poisoned, selves here. Or at least seem to be.

curious, what grade do you teach?

and have you been teaching the same grade the last four years?
I taught SPED (8th grade for 15 years), and then swapped to in-school suspension last year. So, I have access to the behavioral data for approximately 1k middle school students (Actually, 1k+ but it changes day to day.). Referrals are tending down (referrals - behavior that can't be managed by a teacher and are "referred" to an administrator), in-school and out of school suspensions are trending down, etc. Additionally, threat assessments (threat directed towards another student or staff member) as well as risk assessments (threat of self harm) are also trending down. All measures peaked the year students returned to in-person learning and have been trending down since. Like I said, they're adapting. Last school year, I had a total of 6 days (out of 180) with no students in in-school suspension. This year, not even 45 days in (1 quarter), I've already beat that total.

5hout

Post by 5hout » Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:11 am

… and it’s going to be glorious!

My wife is immunocompromised so we’ve remained super COVID safe/locked down. Have not set foot in a grocery store, Target, etc. in 3.5 years. Haven’t dined inside a restaurant in 3.5 years. I’ve been allowed to remain remote even as most of company is back in office 4 days/week.

But we had our first all-department work trip since before COVID this week. We run campgrounds and retirement communities and would annually get together to tour properties in different locations across the country and have some fun. This year, we went to South Florida. I traveled for the first time, saw co-workers for the first time, ate inside at a restaurant for the first time. Was an awesome trip, seeing everybody, living a somewhat normal existence for a few days.

But my wife doesn’t want me coming directly home after air travel and being around 50 people from 7-8 different places.

I was going to stay at my parents’ house for the weekend, get some of Mom’s cooking, hang out with my parents. Only they went to Europe recently, and Dad tested positive for COVID the day after they got back last week.

But they have a weekend condo downtown, so I’m chilling there for the long weekend all by myself. Just arrived and I’m getting ready to watch the Bears game with no 5yo demanding to watch Disney+. I’ll be able to sleep in, binge TV shows and read books, order in pizza and Thai for the next 3 glorious days.
OP is asked "so when does this end" and says:
Not sure… it’s been a game of moving goalposts (“after next booster”, “after current surge dies down”, etc) I’d be a LOT more pushy to resume normalcy if she was able to work or I could afford our lifestyle without her working. We need her to keep getting better and be able to get a job again.

We have slowly been doing more… Just way too slowly. It fucking sucks.
OP get's pushed again and says:
These are new symptoms of her fibromyalgia that came on a few months after COVID... when she was initially diagnosed about 10 years ago, her main pain issues were shoulder & neck spasms triggered by unexpected cold, like the blast of AC entering a building's vestibule or a too cold refrigerated aisle in a grocery store. Respiratory issues weren't a concern.

Someone remembers OP has a kid going to in-person public kindergarten. OP responds:
It's the flying, being in vans and meeting rooms with dozens of people who all just flew... seemingly everybody we know who's been on a plane recently got COVID immediately after. May dad last week, both her parents both got it in September the day after they flew home from visiting us (she made them test daily, mask for 3 days in our house upon arrival). And one of her friend's husband got it after a work trip about 3 weeks ago.

Kid obviously has to go to school... she gives him his bath when he gets home each day, masked him for a week or so when there were known outbreaks in his school even though only affected upper grades.

Overkill? Probably... on the other hand, her health hasn't allowed her to return to work in 3+ years and we need to get her healthy enough to do so.
OP pushed more and responds again:
Fybromialga that's been presenting with costrocondrtitis (rib cartilage inflammation that makes it painful to breathe deeply, let alone cough, lift heavy or bulky things), as well as extreme fatigue and brain fog. I agree it's kind of nuts, as she wants us even more locked down than cancer patients. On the other hand, she is a physical therapist who isn't physically capable of working since this flair-up that began a few months after COVID began. She was progressing well last winter, caught a cold our son brought home from pre-school, and that set her recovery back months. Another setback and we're financially fucked.

"We have slowly been doing more… Just way too slowly. It fucking sucks.", idk man, given that you start your post with " it’s going to be glorious!" I wonder why your wife feels 0 fucking pressure to adopt sane risk modeling. Kid can go to school, but can't go to store? Give me a fucking break.

Culican

Post by Culican » Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:42 am

Let this be a warning to everyone on this site:
Fitness people that are not taking COVID seriously

Whenever I see fitness nuts, bodybuilders, etc breathing in potentially contaminated air maskless and not taking COVID seriously at all, I feel a sense of bewilderment.

On one hand, these people are doing the best they can to maintain their body and health by working out and eating healthily, but on the other hand, they are putting themselves at risk of repeat COVID infections and Long COVID because they have to "live their best lives."

I've heard of one case of Long COVID from someone who used to be a bodybuilder. Someone who actively worked out at the gym before developing Long COVID on their second COVID infection.

After their second COVID infection, they experienced a variety of symptoms that have made working out at the gym impossible, and also experienced a rapid loss of muscle mass in a short period of time that now (in their own words) make them look like a skeleton.

If this could happen to someone who used to be actively working out, will these fitness people start to take it more seriously? I don't think so, unless it personally happens to them.
ZeroCovidCommunity -- Reddit

5hout

Post by 5hout » Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:03 am

@Culican Oh my. One person there is afraid of eating outside with family.

GlasgowJock

Post by GlasgowJock » Fri Nov 10, 2023 12:06 pm

Is COVID still a thing?

We have a COVID inquiry ongoing within the UK since June this year and it's revealed what an absolute sh*tshow the UK government had been managing it via unofficial WhatsApp messages/ informal groups etc, the absolute disdain civil servants held government in etc trying to manage it.

ETA, context:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-57085964

It's a reminder how little people should want 'the government' involved in their lives, period, outwith managing 'small town' stuff like road repairs, sanitation, recreation etc.

DCR

Post by DCR » Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:03 am

GlasgowJock wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 12:06 pm Is COVID still a thing?

We have a COVID inquiry ongoing within the UK since June this year and it's revealed what an absolute sh*tshow the UK government had been managing it via unofficial WhatsApp messages/ informal groups etc, the absolute disdain civil servants held government in etc trying to manage it.

ETA, context:

It's a reminder how little people should want 'the government' involved in their lives, period, outwith managing 'small town' stuff like road repairs, sanitation, recreation etc.
We were told that it was surging around August or so. Don’t really know what happened. I guess it didn’t. Shrug.

hector

Post by hector » Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:13 am

DCR wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:03 am

ETA, context:

We were told that it was surging around August or so. Don’t really know what happened. I guess it didn’t. Shrug.
Watching our US government bungle the Covid response has dampened my enthusiasm for single payer care. Or, really, any government involvement in health care at all.

Philbert

Post by Philbert » Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:10 pm

hector wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:13 am
DCR wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:03 am

ETA, context:

Watching our US government bungle the Covid response has dampened my enthusiasm for single payer care. Or, really, any government involvement in health care at all.
ftfy

mouse

Post by mouse » Mon Nov 13, 2023 3:34 am

To some people it will be the only thing.

I feel like I Nostradumbass'd this early on in predicting that people would become addicted to the fear and victimization of 'rona and never let it die off in their own minds.

Edit: I got bored a browsed that reddit, don't forget the superiority complex that comes from being the only one who cares/the only one who's healthy/the only one smart enough to be afraid...

5hout

Post by 5hout » Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:10 am

https://www.yahoo.com/news/still-contag ... 56060.html
That's why, if you're using at-home tests to detect an infection, you should test more than once.

If you have symptoms and test negative with an at-home rapid test, test again 48 hours later, the CDC advises. If you were exposed to COVID, do not have symptoms and test negative, test again 48 hours later. If that test is negative, test again another 48 hours later.
20-fucking-24 they still are trying to get people testing negative to freak out. I can't tell if this is just normal nonsense, part of some election year "BE AFRAID" push or some other idiocy.
If you test negative with a PCR test, you are likely not contagious.
A PCR TEST. If you test negative with an insanely over sensitive PCR test you're "likely" not contagious. In normal person speak that's code for "you fucking don't have covid, something else is causing your sniffles"
But at the beginning of an COVID illness, an at-home antigen may come back negative, even though you may become infectious as the viral load increases.
Or, and hear me out, since Strep, regular flu, Covid, RSV, hand foot and mouth (in my area) and colds are all going around, it might mean you've got something else.

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:38 pm

hector wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:13 amWatching our US government bungle the Covid response has dampened my enthusiasm for single payer care. Or, really, any government involvement in health care at all.
How is the government's response to an unplanned for, unprecedented pandemic be informative of how it would run and operate a single payer health insurance? The government has run Medicare for decades. That would seem a better basis to extrapolate how the government would operate single payer health insurance.

KyleSchuant
Take It Easy

Post by KyleSchuant » Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:31 pm

mouse wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 3:34 am I feel like I Nostradumbass'd this early on in predicting that people would become addicted to the fear and victimization of 'rona and never let it die off in their own minds.
I've a friend who's a general practitioner doctor, and he commented, "lockdowns provided a cover for OCD neurotics the way running groups provide a cover for people with eating disorders."

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:57 am

5hout wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:11 am"We have slowly been doing more… Just way too slowly. It fucking sucks.", idk man, given that you start your post with " it’s going to be glorious!" I wonder why your wife feels 0 fucking pressure to adopt sane risk modeling. Kid can go to school, but can't go to store? Give me a fucking break.
Jesus. One of my primary selectors for a partner is health and lifestyle. This is why. She's not working? Plenty of people with very serious ailments work. My take is this is a crutch and an excuse which OP enables.

My questions: Does OP live in an alimony State?

5hout

Post by 5hout » Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:23 am

aurelius wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:57 am
5hout wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:11 am"We have slowly been doing more… Just way too slowly. It fucking sucks.", idk man, given that you start your post with " it’s going to be glorious!" I wonder why your wife feels 0 fucking pressure to adopt sane risk modeling. Kid can go to school, but can't go to store? Give me a fucking break.
Jesus. One of my primary selectors for a partner is health and lifestyle. This is why. She's not working? Plenty of people with very serious ailments work. My take is this is a crutch and an excuse which OP enables.

My questions: Does OP live in an alimony State?
Illinois, which (from google) seems pretty middle of the road alimony wise (fixed duration via formula, awarded based on need + marriage length).

Per his post history, he seems to suffer from a vicious set of problems. 1, he thinks he knows everything. 2, he has no balls IRL (but massive balls online) (i.e. no agency in his own life). 3, he is the Gilbert and Sullivan joke "nuisance who praises every century, but this and every country but his own".

It's a potent combination for being eternally trapped in a shit situation.

JimRiley

Post by JimRiley » Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:19 pm

KyleSchuant wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:31 pm
mouse wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 3:34 am I feel like I Nostradumbass'd this early on in predicting that people would become addicted to the fear and victimization of 'rona and never let it die off in their own minds.
I've a friend who's a general practitioner doctor, and he commented, "lockdowns provided a cover for OCD neurotics the way running groups provide a cover for people with eating disorders."
For a while during the lockdown, my email signature was "Introverts with OCD have been practicing all our lives for this".

5hout

Post by 5hout » Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:41 am

"Mandy Cohen will go down in history with the likes of Joseph Mengele"
https://imgur.com/a/9yAVWbu

"It is so hard. I have no idea why people continued to procreate after Covid."

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:25 am

"Are there any Covid-cautious dating platforms for single young adults? I'm a 34 single cis-female, and this is a continued struggle to try to navigate/figure out what level of risk I'm comfortable with accommodating (also speaking as someone with health concerns). I've been asking folks to rapid test, which is certainly helpful and provides insight into their values/morals/supportiveness, but at the same time I know the shortcomings of rapid testing, and it's super hard to navigate as a young adult with others who are less "Covid cautious"! Wondering if others have advice or experience navigating this?"