Coronavirus

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

mbasic

Coronavirus

Post by mbasic » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:12 am

Is this the big one?

Okay I've watched three different videos from mainstream news channels about the coronavirus.

None of them really talked about the big problem that is Chinese New year, and Chinese New year makes our Thanksgiving travel day problems look like a effing joke.
1 news snippet does even mention in American family stuck near Wuhan because they visited the wife's Chinese parents.... But then failed to elaborate on any of that how the country goes through a mass migration and pretty much their whole travel system gets crippled and overloaded.

Basically the government covered it up at 1st and downplayed it. None of that is being covered in the news.

it's kind of funny because a communist country like China that has a lot of government controls should be able to deal with this pretty easily.... Or say much easier than a free country well at least on paper.

I think a lot of people are going to die.

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Re: Coronavirus

Post by aurelius » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:26 am

mbasic wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:12 amit's kind of funny because a communist country like China that has a lot of government controls should be able to deal with this pretty easily.... Or say much easier than a free country well at least on paper.

I think a lot of people are going to die.
There really is not much a government can do to prevent the initial spread of a contagion with international travel. By the time they identify a contagion is killing people it already is too late. Someone gets infected in China and does not show symptoms until they are Stateside. The CDC is currently monitoring 110 possible cases in 26 States in the US to give you some idea of how fast and far contagions like this can spread.

Why hasn't the 'big one' hit already? The reality is that natural occurring contagions' infection rate are relatively low and they are simply not that lethal. This allows identifying and isolating infected to prevent initial outbreaks from becoming worse. Biological weapons pose a serious threat but there is no real way to control them as they pose just as great a threat to those that would use them.

The big one will most likely be the flu. Either naturally occurring or weaponized. I don't believe a nation would ever use biological weapons but a radical would. Which is why the US funds research to weaponize the flu to then attempt to create vaccines/counter measures. The flu epidemic during the First World War killed 20 to 40 million people in Europe. I have even read it killed 50 to 100 million out of ~2 billion people world wide. And that was without modern transportation zipping it about at light speed. Imagine what the death toll would have been with international air travel and the denser populations of today...

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:56 am

yeah, I'm being a bit sensationalized drama queen. But I don't think it'll be "a lot". But comparing it to diseases of the middle ages or the early 20th century is a bit unfair. We couldn't treat a fever, dehydration, etc. ... pretty basic symptoms.

They say this one is contagious while in its incubation periods, and can't test for/wouldn't test for if no symptoms are present.

Remember SARS killed 1 out of 10 people infected.

Although a "first world country"?, China's nationwide medicine as a whole is .... not "good".

So yeah, probably "bad" for China.

Root
Grillmaster

Post by Root » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:36 am

mbasic wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:12 am I think a lot of people are going to die.
Everybody will die eventually, so it doesn't really matter how.

Enjoy Arby's.

BenM

Post by BenM » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:34 pm

It will kill a lot of people, sure. But so does the flu, every year. I think I read that the mortality rate of this strain is like 3% - mainly the elderly and immunocompromised.

At this stage, I really don't see it being a massive issue....

fibula

Post by fibula » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:01 pm

The flu kills about 250K-500K people a year. The current mortality figures for this appear to be about 50 times that of a flu, with a similar R0.

Culican

Post by Culican » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:47 pm

mbasic wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:12 am
Basically the government covered it up at 1st and downplayed it. None of that is being covered in the news.

Well, now with the one here in Arizona our very own government (AZDHS and ASU, both divisions of the State of Arizona) are refusing to give details on the infected person. They say only that the patient is "A member of the ASU community" and will not give further details (student? professor? janitor? ASU police officer?, etc.). They won't even say which ASU campus the person attends.

I get that they can't give out the person's name but this vagueness has a "Don't worry, we know whats best for you" feel to the whole thing.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:00 pm

fibula wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:01 pm The flu kills about 250K-500K people a year. The current mortality figures for this appear to be about 50 times that of a flu, with a similar R0.
Keep in mind China is probably lying about the number of dead/infected.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:15 pm

Oh, and INB4 the virus "accidentally" makes into the Uyger concentration camps.

Culican

Post by Culican » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:49 pm

This is interesting if all of it is true:

"Coronavirus Bioweapon – How China Stole Coronavirus From Canada And Weaponized It"

http://greatgameindia.com/coronavirus-bioweapon/

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:14 pm

I wonder if this is really the new hospital they are building. At least the containers have windows. But bars? Looks like something you could pack with bodies and dump in the ocean. Or it's just an efficient way of making a quarantine city.

------

I saw a couple non-Asians wearing facemasks at Wholefoods today. I've never seen this before. They were wearing those shitty surgeons masks. The holes in those are too big to keep out the virus. . . . I have some n95 masks for painting. I think those will work. . . .

------

General rule of thumb: Don't eat carnivores.
Last edited by iamsmu on Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bcharles123

Post by Bcharles123 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:19 pm

Sure this could be the big one.

It’s more likely typical media sensationalism ands it far more interesting then the impeachment. As was (is) the Kobe tragedy.

Of course, I’m traveling tonight and I’m hating being in the airports anyway.

neandrewthal

Post by neandrewthal » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:19 am

Culican wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:49 pm This is interesting if all of it is true:

"Coronavirus Bioweapon – How China Stole Coronavirus From Canada And Weaponized It"

http://greatgameindia.com/coronavirus-bioweapon/
wut

neandrewthal

Post by neandrewthal » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:51 am

Can't even find any info on what the hell greatgameindia.com is, seems awfully suspicious to me. Looking through their articles it seems they have been reporting on this since the middle of 2019 though. A quick google search only brings up 2 other sites that reference this and one happens to be Rip's favorite fake news source:

https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/ ... aponize-it

But then there's this:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba ... -1.5211567

Here is what great game posted about that on July 23:

https://greatgameindia.com/chinese-rese ... adian-lab/

However, the only thing in that article that remotely sugggests it involves a Corona virus sample being stolen is this paragraph which links to an article posted today to back it up:

"There has been speculation the case involves the improper transfer of intellectual property or biological materials to China. The NML is Canada’s only level-4 facility and one of only a few in North America equipped to handle the world’s deadliest diseases, including Ebola."

Maybe this post has more than is necessary but I'm kind of just figuring this out as I go along so I'll leave it all here to show my work. Seems to me like this great game site updated their old articles to make it look like they were on the pulse of this Corona virus conspiracy for a long time while it only just recently became a media sensation. I guess it makes sense why they would do that because the supposed paper trail of their reporting on this since July 23 was the only thing that caused me to give this claim a second look.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:20 pm

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:38 pm

Steven King's The Stand begins with the unintentional release of a bioweapon.

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:33 pm

Twelve Monkeys

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114746/

Based on this work in what is clearly the best sub genre of narrative fiction film, the time travel romance:

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:07 pm

People are digging up roads and making road blocks to keep people from entering their cities and villages.

https://www.rfa.org/english/news/china/ ... 31005.html

https://news.sky.com/story/china-corona ... n-11919727

KyleSchuant
Take It Easy

Post by KyleSchuant » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:51 pm

BenM wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:34 pm It will kill a lot of people, sure. But so does the flu, every year. I think I read that the mortality rate of this strain is like 3% - mainly the elderly and immunocompromised.
That appears to be so. The US CDC estimates influenza killed 34,000 people last season, 61,000 the season before that, 38,000 the season before, etc. The deaths are also as you describe, it says on those pages. As with the various flu strains, it seems it's not so much 2019-nCoV itself, as it is the secondary infections, or the illness on top of existing health conditions, etc.

My pantry is always stocked with a month's food anyway. Prepping isn't the intention, it's simply that when I was a kid I really loved those friends whose families had full pantries, and a big pot of pasta sauce or soup on the stove.

I live near Monash university which has about a zillion Chinese students who are constantly coming and going. I might not eat at one of the Chinese restaurants for a while ;)

Tziva

Post by Tziva » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:15 pm

Probably time to ban travel/trade outbound from China till they get this sorted out.