Haggis Recipe

Recipes and such

Moderator: d0uevenlift

omaniphil

Haggis Recipe

Post by omaniphil » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:54 pm

I'm hosting my 2nd Burns Supper in a few years this coming Saturday. I made a Haggis a couple of years ago for the first time, and it turned out ok, but I can't remember which recipe I used. Does anybody have one that they like?

Sheep Lung is not available in the US, but I can pretty easily get liver and heart. I can't find sheep stomach to cook it in, but last time I did, I used a Beef Bung cap which I bought on Amazon. Thought that worked ok too.

https://www.amazon.com/TSM-Natural-Beef ... 452&sr=8-2

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Re: Haggis Recipe

Post by Hanley » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:31 pm

Fuck me. Beef hearts and now haggis? *shivers*

5hout

Post by 5hout » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:50 am

No help, the only I've ever had was out of a can (to be fair, it was delicious). A bit late to try this for this year, but if you realllllllllly want a sheep stomach it may be possible to acquire one by purchasing an animal (live) from a local farm that does their own processing for personal use and then paying for assistance in breaking it down. Please post pics and description of how it turns out! If I recall correctly OH is one of the states that tolerates raw milk coops, this is essentially a backdoor sheep stomach coop.

richieportly

Post by richieportly » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:35 pm

I just run out the back garden and skelp one over the back of the head with my sporran.

They're fast little buggers though.

omaniphil

Post by omaniphil » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:38 am

5hout wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:50 am Please post pics and description of how it turns out!
Sorry - forgot about this.

Turned out - not great. Last time I made it, it was really surprisingly good, so I think something might have gone wrong - although not sure where. I think perhaps the ratio of liver to heart was too high. Also, the halal store I went to only had goat - not sheep, so that might be something. The beef bung cap I used this time also had a smell that lasted even after I rehydrated it and cleaned the salt off. Perhaps it was some combination of the above. Regardless, there was a slightly offputting smell that lingered, even after cooking it, that didn't do it any favors. The people I had over though, didn't seem to mind, and enthusiastically dug into it - and even asked for doggy bags to take home with them, so I don't think it was just a case of them being polite.

Anyways, here is a picture of it stuffed, before going into the water for cooking:

and here is the finished product, half eaten:

5hout

Post by 5hout » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:49 am

Looks good! I mean, for a giant coarse sausage filled with organ meat :). When I've made sausage at home with pork casing sometimes it's taken 4+ water changes to get the smell away, but no beef casing experience. I love strongly flavored meats so looking at that is making me salivate.