Moderator: d0uevenlift

PC

Any Beef Heart Recipes Out Here?

Post by PC » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:37 pm

TIA

5hout

Re: Any Beef Heart Recipes Out Here?

Post by 5hout » Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:45 pm

Never done this with beef heart, but it's my go to for a deer heart.

Rinse with cold water for a few minutes. Soak in heavily salted cold water for 1 hour. Rinse again. In a large pot (enough for heart to be well surrounded by water) chop up a pile of onions, maybe 4 for a deer heart, so 8 for a cow? Briefly saute onions till translucent, add heart and water to cover. Simmer for 30-45 minutes. Beef might take longer, not really sure. Let cool, slice thin and serve cold on sandwiches or with mustard.

I've seen, but not done, various grilled or slow cooked recipes. I think this is excellent sandwich meat, but you've got to trim around the veins/arteries.

omaniphil

Post by omaniphil » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:53 pm

I've never done this with beef hearts. But I've done it with lamb and think it would carry over well. I slice the hearts into quarter to half in thick slices, pan fry them, and then serve them as a sandwich in Iraqi style samoon bread with hummus.

5hout

Post by 5hout » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:11 am

Where does one acquire volume lamb hearts? How's the flavor? I (when the day suddenly becomes 30 hours and I have time for this shit again) would love to do some really strongly flavored heart, maybe a dash of liver and beef sausages.

omaniphil

Post by omaniphil » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:48 am

5hout wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:11 am Where does one acquire volume lamb hearts? How's the flavor? I (when the day suddenly becomes 30 hours and I have time for this shit again) would love to do some really strongly flavored heart, maybe a dash of liver and beef sausages.
Most halal markets would do. You're SE Michigan right? Super Greenland Market in Dearborn is guaranteed to have it. I typically pick it up at any one of the million Iraqi stores that are up in Warren/Sterling Heights near my parents.

5hout

Post by 5hout » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:00 am

omaniphil wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:48 am
Most halal markets would do. You're SE Michigan right? Super Greenland Market in Dearborn is guaranteed to have it. I typically pick it up at any one of the million Iraqi stores that are up in Warren/Sterling Heights near my parents.
Central MI, but there are a few Halal markets by me. I'll have to swing by and check them out.

chrisd

Post by chrisd » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:54 am

Slow cook, low heat, long time, pretty much a beef stew, add kidneys for yet more good value protein.

Diced ox heart
diced beef kidney
Onion chopped
Leek thin sliced
Carrot chopped
Crushed garlic cloves, to taste
Parsnip cut it how you like
Stock cube
Powdered coriander and cumin, chilli if desired
I carton passata
tomato puree
Top with dumplings (self raising flour, suet, salt (not a lot) mixed herbs, mix to a workable dough)

Let that cook and go do something useful for eight or nine hours. You can't really overcook it if you leave it on low.

They sell the ox heart diced at my local supermarket for something like £3 per kilo, so half the price of stewing steak, kidney are even less.

hollismb

Post by hollismb » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:52 am

Beef Heart Tartare? :P

PC

Post by PC » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:46 pm

Thanks for the ideas guys. It seems you are all along the same line of thinking. Slow cook, etc.

I'll report back, but I was expecting to fry or grill it per a friends recommendation. It's in the freezer, so I've got some time to figure it out.

PC

Post by PC » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:01 pm

I forgot to follow up on this. I ended up following a friends recommendation because it was so quick, and easy:

Macerate overnight in balsamic vinegar
Pan Fry

Hot out of the pan I didn't like the potency of the balsamic vinegar, nor the "organ" flavor of the heart. The texture was meaty, but still retained some of that flat, almost creamy texture reminiscent of liver etc.

The next day (or whenever I had leftovers, rather) out of the fridge, the flavors had subdued and had time to do their thing with each other which led to a much more approachable piece of meat.

Overall 5.5/10; good value/utility, but not a workhorse cut.
20200210_192940.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tziva

Post by Tziva » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:53 am

Beef heart is a unique texture and flavor. Most people that get it, stray away from braising it because they believe it takes away that distinctive bite and flavor from it. If you do decide to braise it, leave the exterior fat on it, there's not much but you want it on there. The most popular way to cook it, is by marinating it or using chilies and a rub and letting it sit for four or more hours and then grilling it.