Need inputs

All training and programming related queries and banter here

Moderators: mgil, chromoly, Manveer

cwd

Re: Need inputs

Post by cwd » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:00 am

chrisd wrote:
cwd wrote:Chucking the bar backwards would probably damage my garage door :-)
Fair point. Open the door ?
Then the bar would roll down the driveway and hit my car. I'll probably use the safeties when I fail. I've never come anywhere close to failing backwards.

Les
Kitten

Post by Les » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:19 am

shaymus wrote:
Les wrote:Sets across to start. What it starts to get difficult, then I have them do one top set with a couple of drop sets (2-3 sets).
Your program looks interesting, and I think I want to try it. I haven't been able to lift since we moved (end of May), so I wanted to try something like this to start back up.

How do you think it would work doing bjj 3 days a week also?
I think it really depends on your recovery abilities. This program would be easier to recover from that SS for sure though. I don't know if I could do it since my recovery is shit, but I think it would work for a little bit at first since the weight is light. Eventually you may need a 2x per week program if you are really hitting the BJJ hard.

tersh

Post by tersh » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:21 pm

d0uevenlift wrote:Can you post a video of your squats? I had that same pain for months and it was because I was shifting onto my toes. I'd allow the bar to get over my toes because I kept thinking "hips, hips, hips" all the damn time. Coupled with my Oly shoes, which were already tipping me forward, the bar would get over my toes on the ascent and it caused excruciating hip pain in the area you describe it in. My feet would stay flat on the ground, but my bar path was fucked and the way it placed the load on my quad and upper quad tendons sucked.
Could be toes-related. I normally squat in flat shoes, but I can keep track of where the weight goes in the foot.
Murelli wrote: Your stance may be a little narrow for low bar, hence going too deep+not catching the bounce+knee slide. Symptoms -> Problem -> Treatment. A video would be nice as someone already said, but you can get some things to look for on your own and auto-correct your squat.

Knee slide can be unilateral, with your hip shifting towards the front only on the sliding side. This happens to me ocasionally, because I hurt my right hip and have to force myself into a symmetrical descent and ascent, or else I'll favour the left side because of tightness on the right side.

What I would do in your place: play with stance width and toe angle a little, with a challenging but far from limit load, taping all the sets and reviewing them thoroughly. Play with the point on the floor where I'm looking - it influences my depth, bounce and knee slide because of back angle and extension. Really shove them knees out - it helped me in both back and front squats to avoid going too deep.

Nothing wrong with high bar squats too, but beware of going too deep too heavy too often - you may injure something on your spine if it is flexing too much too often with too much load.
I am never sure what constitutes shoulder width, and have a tendency to think I'm smaller than I actually am, so stance width may also be a thing.

Recording sets is a little annoying in my gym situation, mainly because it's hard to get a good angle and my phone is not great, but I've done it a time or two, and might do for future reference.

hsilman
✓ Registered User

Post by hsilman » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:52 pm

just fyi on the recording thing, if there is a bench or something similar to drag over, a cheap trip with "clamp/spring" phone holder works for recording.

tersh

Post by tersh » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:26 pm

hsilman wrote:just fyi on the recording thing, if there is a bench or something similar to drag over, a cheap trip with "clamp/spring" phone holder works for recording.
The way the gym is set up, there's rarely a flat bench or what have you that could be commandeered. It's usually also busy as fuck, being a university gym.
So I typically prop it up on the floor. One of those little gorilla pods would be handy, probably. I actually have a tiny little POS tripod somewhere, just need a phone thing for it.

Murelli

Post by Murelli » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:27 am

tersh wrote:
hsilman wrote:just fyi on the recording thing, if there is a bench or something similar to drag over, a cheap trip with "clamp/spring" phone holder works for recording.
The way the gym is set up, there's rarely a flat bench or what have you that could be commandeered. It's usually also busy as fuck, being a university gym.
So I typically prop it up on the floor. One of those little gorilla pods would be handy, probably. I actually have a tiny little POS tripod somewhere, just need a phone thing for it.
My setup = water bottle + phone, on the floor. You use the water bottle as a "wall" to angle your phone on the floor.

tersh

Post by tersh » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:57 pm

Murelli wrote:My setup = water bottle + phone, on the floor. You use the water bottle as a "wall" to angle your phone on the floor.
Clever!