DCR - Can you believe how much I am in heaven?

A place to track your progress, or lack thereof

Moderator: Chebass88

Bolder

Re: DCR - Can you believe how much I am in heaven?

Post by Bolder » Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:01 pm

DCR wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:24 am
Bolder wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:10 pm Heavy singles (and peaking) only work for a short while. At top, three to six weeks (depending how soon you peak). I notice that my bench press tends to peak off sooner than my squats and deadlifts (obviously because the bench press uses smaller muscles). Time is always better spent building strength than testing strength anyway.

Don't be like me, trying to stretch out doing heavy singles and peaking for over six weeks, or unless if you're an advanced/elite heavyweight powerlifter lol.
I already peaked; now I'm just hitting a reasonably heavy single each session to mostly hold on to my strength while I figure out wtf I'm gonna do next.

That said... I did consider the other day whether I could get 375 lol.
I see, fair enough.

I suppose getting the 375lb depends on how your last warm-up feels like.

hector

Post by hector » Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:05 pm

100%!!!!!!

DCR

Post by DCR » Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:25 pm

4/12/24 (back in Louisiana as of last session)

Seated Leg Curls 70x15,15,17
Squats 45x12 155x7 225x6 265x2 300,315,335x1 100x25
Standing Calf Raises +40 lbs x20,20,15,15

Notes: That was as good as squats ever have felt, from a form perspective. I don’t know why it never occurred to me before that I could break at the hips and spare my knees without throwing my ass back. I’m initiating the movement with just the slightest break.

I’m still ridiculously sore, though, which continued to cost me lots of reps because they’re excruciating. Tried some foam rolling after and wow that sucked, but perhaps tomorrow it’ll be better. Ordering the massage gun tonight.
Last edited by DCR on Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:19 am, edited 4 times in total.

hector

Post by hector » Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:49 pm

That’s a breakthrough when you get the movement feeling better. Can’t wait to hear how the massage gun works out!

Bolder

Post by Bolder » Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:18 pm

Try doing 1 set of 45-second wall-sits before squats (those help me a bit). I do 1 set and overtime load em' up with a bit of weight (plate, dumbbell or kettlebell placed on my lap). However, from what I've read and seen spanish squats are better (if you have access to them). The knee bend should be 60 to 90 degrees both (personally I try to bend my knees at 90 degrees).

I've read somewhere that the knee pain is temporarily gone for like 30 to 45 minutes (probably want to do it in the time frame you squat).

You probably also want to find a knee rehab exercise probably a slow leg press or whatever single-leg work.

SaviorSelf

Post by SaviorSelf » Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:28 pm

You are able to keep a really vertical torso during the squat, especially considering that you seem to be wearing flat soled shoes

(btw - have you considered weightlifting shoes if you want torso to be even more vertical? Not necessarily endorsing them, I've got a pair and don't even use them anymore)

DCR

Post by DCR » Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:20 pm

SaviorSelf wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:28 pm You are able to keep a really vertical torso during the squat, especially considering that you seem to be wearing flat soled shoes
It’s all in the legs.
SaviorSelf wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:28 pm (btw - have you considered weightlifting shoes if you want torso to be even more vertical? Not necessarily endorsing them, I've got a pair and don't even use them anymore)
Squatting - and lifting in general - in a pair of Vans with no accoutrements always has been my schtick, and after this long there’s no good reason to change. To the extent that I care about numbers, I’m interested only in beating my own logbook, and adding gear wouldn’t feel as if I’d done so.

That said, I understand why dudes wear belts and wraps but have never understood squat shoes. Something to assist in bracing / protecting one’s knees, ok fine. But I don’t understand effectively changing my body to make my squat into something that it actually isn’t.

Clearwater47

Post by Clearwater47 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:47 pm

DCR wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:20 pmThat said, I understand why dudes wear belts and wraps but have never understood squat shoes. Something to assist in bracing / protecting one’s knees, ok fine. But I don’t understand effectively changing my body to make my squat into something that it actually isn’t.
As someone with a very hip dominant squat naturally, wearing squat shoes is an effective way for me to get more quad activation. If I was just trying to beat my log book I definitely wouldn't wear them because they force me to use a weaker muscle group than my natural movement.

DCR

Post by DCR » Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:34 pm

Clearwater47 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:47 pm
DCR wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:20 pmThat said, I understand why dudes wear belts and wraps but have never understood squat shoes. Something to assist in bracing / protecting one’s knees, ok fine. But I don’t understand effectively changing my body to make my squat into something that it actually isn’t.
As someone with a very hip dominant squat naturally, wearing squat shoes is an effective way for me to get more quad activation. If I was just trying to beat my log book I definitely wouldn't wear them because they force me to use a weaker muscle group than my natural movement.
They currently may be a weaker muscle group...but one day might be key to beating your log book. I always found this old piece to be of interest in this regard: https://www.jtsstrength.com/west-of-westside/

Clearwater47

Post by Clearwater47 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:29 am

Thanks for the link. Looks like interesting reading and I'm going to check it out. ;)

Agreed that it may result in strength gains. I just meant to point out that a person could be using squat shoes primarily for hypertrophy rather than for strength. That this could be a reason to 'change your body to make your squat into something that it actually isn’t.' I used squat shoes last week for the first time in like 2 or 3 years, lol. I really dislike wearing them because they feel awkward but they're a way for me to help target my quads on this lift.

And just my personal take on using squat shoes compared to using belts, sleeves, or wraps... In my mind these don't compare. In some respect, wearing squat shoes isn't much different than changing bar position - it shifts the center of gravity and results in the body moving in a slightly different way. And if anything, it lengthens the range of movement on the lift without adding support (to me they feel less stable, actually) while the others add support and limit movement.

I'm not meaning to challenge your stance against any of this equipment because I generally lean towards not using them as well and think it's a 'noble' effort in many respects. Just sharing my thoughts on the matter.

DCR

Post by DCR » Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:11 am

Clearwater47 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:29 amThanks for the link. Looks like interesting reading and I'm going to check it out. ;)
JTS used to have such great content. Pretty much everything that I believe about squatting comes from their material between like 3-5 years ago, i.e. peak Max Aita involvement. For all I know they’re still producing good stuff but I lost interest when Max (and seemingly everyone else) left and Chad seemed more interested in golf and BJJ.
Clearwater47 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:29 am Agreed that it may result in strength gains. I just meant to point out that a person could be using squat shoes primarily for hypertrophy rather than for strength. That this could be a reason to 'change your body to make your squat into something that it actually isn’t.' I used squat shoes last week for the first time in like 2 or 3 years, lol. I really dislike wearing them because they feel awkward but they're a way for me to help target my quads on this lift.

And just my personal take on using squat shoes compared to using belts, sleeves, or wraps... In my mind these don't compare. In some respect, wearing squat shoes isn't much different than changing bar position - it shifts the center of gravity and results in the body moving in a slightly different way. And if anything, it lengthens the range of movement on the lift without adding support (to me they feel less stable, actually) while the others add support and limit movement.

I'm not meaning to challenge your stance against any of this equipment because I generally lean towards not using them as well and think it's a 'noble' effort in many respects. Just sharing my thoughts on the matter.
All good points. For someone ostensibly more interested in hypertrophy, I often find my thoughts on things skewing toward powerlifting purity. I assuredly can say that thinking that way never has done a damn thing for me. In fact, I’ve been considering for awhile now going full DB training (with the goal being hypertrophy, and because I’m tired of half my gym time being work ups) and haven’t been able to pull the trigger because I’m so stupidly attached to (two of) the barbell lifts.

Clearwater47

Post by Clearwater47 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:53 pm

I ran Conjugate for almost 2 years and made my best gains during that time. But certainly recognized that it worked better with some changes. When I was working through some of that stuff I recall either reading or watching some stuff by Dan Green, but I don't think I ever came across this article. I don't agree with 100% of it, but It's a really good overview of some modifications that make sense for non-equipped lifters.

I've always had a strong leaning towards powerlifting myself. Just started trying to change my focus about 2 years ago, and finally started ACTUALLY breaking out the powerlifting mindset about 1 year ago. The main reason I wanted to make this change was that I was accruing pain and discomfort from doing the big 3 too frequently and I needed to diversify my lifts and rep ranges. I've switched the focus from getting stronger in low rep ranges to getting stronger in higher rep ranges. I then started shifting focus from getting stronger within a rep range at all cost, to getting stronger with consistent and solid form. But the focus is still absolutely on getting stronger. I'm constantly trying to beat what I did the week/month/year before. In other words, I've shifted away from a powerlifting (big 3 1 RM's) mindset, to a mindset of getting stronger in a wide range of exercises and rep ranges. Same mindset, but also different. Having said that, there's nothing at all wrong with a powerlifting mindset - it just wasn't working well for me.

DCR

Post by DCR » Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:48 pm

4/14/24

Low Incline DB Bench Press 45s x12 60s x8,8,8
Incline DB Curls 30s x8,9,9
Lateral Raises 30s x12,12,12
Pullups x6,5,4
Preset EZ Bar French Press 50x15 60x10,10
Goblet Squat 40x6,6,8

Notes: Upper body stuff is popping pretty nicely so long as I ignore my beer barrel. As usual, this was a fun session with a great overall pump that made me wonder what heavy singles are doing for me.

After opining in mouse’s log that 5x10 is a bad set/rep scheme because no one ever holds form for that, I got some self-awareness and thought about the sets of 25 that I’ve been doing and how relatively shitty the form likely is. The goal with today’s goblets then was to hold absolutely perfect foot pressure with no deviation all the way down and up, with no lockout at the top. If we’re being honest, it was hard as fuck even with the light weight. May continue with this up into barbell work.

DCR

Post by DCR » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:42 pm

4/17/24

Squats 45x6,6 95x6,6 155x3 205x3,3
DB RDLs 30s x8,8,10
Calves on box BWx10,10,10

Notes: No I didn’t switch from lbs to kgs, you dicks. :(

The goals of today’s squats were perfect foot pressure all the way down and back up, and feeling in control with a total lack of psych up. Not hard with these lame weights but it’s a new start.

Did the RDLs with DBs solely because lately loading a barbell, for anything, has really started to grate on me. I just want to get into it. Added a pause so as not to be (even more) embarrassing. Also: am I the only dude whose nuts feel like they’re getting squeezed when doing RDLs, and not in a good way?

Started over with calves because my form had devolved into garbage even by my standard.

Soundtrack: Verwoed / The Mother. At this point, given my near total inability to recall anything new to which I listen, the experience is mainly about the vibe. This one’s got an awesome one.

mouse

Post by mouse » Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:20 am

DCR wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:48 pm Notes: Upper body stuff is popping pretty nicely so long as I ignore my beer barrel.
I've thought to myself if I was only photographed with my shirt off from just above the belly button up I'd be doing pretty alright hahaha

acorn93

Post by acorn93 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:02 pm

Clearwater47 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:53 pm I ran Conjugate for almost 2 years and made my best gains during that time. But certainly recognized that it worked better with some changes. When I was working through some of that stuff I recall either reading or watching some stuff by Dan Green, but I don't think I ever came across this article. I don't agree with 100% of it, but It's a really good overview of some modifications that make sense for non-equipped lifters.
I’ve been on a conjugate/concurrent style program for almost a year and a half. I also agree with some of what Dan says but not all of it. Conjugate works for raw lifters but you gotta tweak it in a way that makes sense. Andy Baker and Alex Leonidas (alphadestiny) have some really great stuff on it. The other thing that I think gets ignored is that this style of program is just fun. I used to program hop constantly. This allows me to channel some of that in a productive manner. I haven’t trained and made progress for this long since I was a teenager. I like lifting heavy singles every week and I still do the hypertrophy work I know I need to keep getting stronger. Dan is an elite level power lifter. I am not. I think DE does serve to reinforce my technique and because I use higher percentages I do think that helps me get stronger as well. I mean the way I’m applying DE isn’t that far off from Hanley’s low fatigue stuff which also works well.

DCR

Post by DCR » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:21 pm

mouse wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:20 am
DCR wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:48 pm Notes: Upper body stuff is popping pretty nicely so long as I ignore my beer barrel.
I've thought to myself if I was only photographed with my shirt off from just above the belly button up I'd be doing pretty alright hahaha
It’s like what Arnold did with his calves early on, except my entire torso below the chest.

alek

Post by alek » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:29 pm

DCR wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:48 pm
This has nothing to do with training, but seeing your hat brought back some fond memories.

Before children, BC, my wife and I would volunteer at a local craft brew fest. There were two shifts, and we'd work the first shift, which would allow us to stay during the second shift for free. Once you paid to get in, or otherwise got in, you got a little sample glass and could drink as much as you wanted. Well, during our shift, when pouring beer for the patrons, we'd often pour one for ourselves, too. Anyway, I have fond memories of drinking the Abita Strawberry Ale until they ran out.

DCR

Post by DCR » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:51 pm

alek wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:29 pm I have fond memories of drinking the Abita Strawberry Ale until they ran out.
That stuff is the Nectar of the Gods. Abita’s brewery is a super fun spot to visit too. It lacks the charm of some of the much smaller places but it’s a great space all the same and the selection is superb.

DCR

Post by DCR » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:17 pm

My bad knee is fucking killing me and looking back at my log, and also based on history, I’m 99.999% convinced that it isn’t squatting. It’s the calf work.

I googled this and all of the hits are about doing calf work to cure knee pain. Wtf.