Stupid Questions Thread

All training and programming related queries and banter here

Moderators: mgil, chromoly, Manveer

CheekiBreekiFitness

Re: Stupid Questions Thread

Post by CheekiBreekiFitness » Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:25 am

OverheadDeadlifts wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:08 am
CheekiBreekiFitness wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:54 am Hey everybody, when I bench, I have the tendency to have an uneven bar path (my left hand tends to be lower than my right hand), and I believe that this is causing me problems when lifting heavier loads.

Did any of you experience this ? What are some possible causes for it and what are some ideas to fix it ?

Thanks a lot.
Mine gets like this sometimes. Pin bench at chest height might help. One side will hit the pins first and if it’s purely a habit thing then you’ll quickly figure out how to make them both touch at the same time.

Also try to film a set from directly above. Sometimes an uneven bar viewed from the front is also uneven from the top down if you’re twisting the bar. You’ll also be able to see if you’re pulling one shoulder into a different position than the other and if your upper body is straight in relation to the bench/your legs etc.
So this is very interesting because I started doing pin bench this cycle (the choice to do pin bench was unrelated to this uneven bar path problem), and indeed it struck me how the left side was always the first to hit the pin. However after a few sessions getting used to pin bench it was less obvious.

Filming from the top is an interesting idea, I'm going to try this, I just need to get creative with how I place the camera (I train in a dungeon). Thanks for the suggestion !

ChasingCurls69

Post by ChasingCurls69 » Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:59 am

CheekiBreekiFitness wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:54 am Hey everybody, when I bench, I have the tendency to have an uneven bar path (my left hand tends to be lower than my right hand), and I believe that this is causing me problems when lifting heavier loads.

Did any of you experience this ? What are some possible causes for it and what are some ideas to fix it ?

Thanks a lot.
Is it like this at lockout or just during the lift? That happens with my right arm only on the way up, and it tends to get better from close-grip bench and triceps isolation work, even though my main bench grip is max PL width. The right side of my chest sits lower so I have to be precise about touching/pausing.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:35 pm

CheekiBreekiFitness wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:20 am
MarkKO wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:10 am
CheekiBreekiFitness wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:58 am
MarkKO wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:41 am

Thanks a lot.
Best guess would be left tricep is significantly weaker. Could also be something in the left shoulder that means it's less stable.

Have you had a previous injury to the left arm?
Fortunately I never experienced any shoulder or arm injury.

Now one triceps could be weaker than the other for all I know. I don't know how to test this. Maybe with some unilateral work ?
That should do it. I did have a very mild form of this issue a few years ago, but only with peri-maximal loads and it went away without me having to do anything.

The only other thing that occurs to me is that possibly it might be worth looking at what your shoulders are doing. If the left moves slightly differently to the right, my guess would be that could impact how well you can extend your arm while benching.

Possibly one way to look at that would be to film yourself doing pullups with your shirt off. If you notice your shoulders moving differently, that could be something to look at as a cause as well.
That sounds like a good idea. I wouldn't have thought about that. I'm going to try. Anyways, thanks a lot for your input man, much appreciated.

PS: now I have an excuse to remove my shirt in the gym ...
Any time.

Only occurred to me because a while back it was suggested to me. Not for bench, though. Something else, I can't quite remember.

CheekiBreekiFitness

Post by CheekiBreekiFitness » Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:39 pm

ChasingCurls69 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:59 am

Thanks a lot.
Is it like this at lockout or just during the lift? That happens with my right arm only on the way up, and it tends to get better from close-grip bench and triceps isolation work, even though my main bench grip is max PL width. The right side of my chest sits lower so I have to be precise about touching/pausing.
It can be both lockout and during lift. Indeed, I think that triceps work could help, I'm going to focus on this. Thanks for your advice !

AlanMackey

Post by AlanMackey » Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:52 am

Is this a new kind of smelling salt? https://www.instagram.com/p/CmNEK34NtMB/

alek

Post by alek » Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:16 am

Is there a way to work the "deadlift muscles" without deadlifting?

I'm currently doing a DUP setup, following a 3x/week Hypertrophy, Power-ish, Strength cycle. Now that I'm starting to train for a meet, I was thinking--that's pretty dangerous, alek--about a way to reduce lowback fatigue from the Hypertrophy workout. Right now I'm doing Lying Leg Curls and SSB squat for 3 sets of 8 and some deadlift variations that I haven't settled on yet; I've done TnG Deadlift, RDLs, SLDLs, and Deficit Deadlifts.

I'm going to keep the leg curls, and I was thinking of swapping SSB for Leg Press since I can still get a good stimulus without much, if any, lowback fatigue. I'm not sure what a good swap for deadlifts would be.

What I'd like to happen is to get a good hypertrophy workout on Monday that doesn't generate much, if any, lowback fatigue so that I'm super fresh going into Wednesday's Power workout where I'm doing triples right now, but that'll change to doubles and then singles as I get closer to the meet.

I'd going to stick with the DUP setup, and I'm about 100% certain I'll continue it through to the meet.

James

Post by James » Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:59 am

The SBS hypertrophy template has below knee block pulls as the main pull to reduce low back fatigue over high reps.

There's always hip thrusts.

houzi

Post by houzi » Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:43 pm

alek wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:16 am Is there a way to work the "deadlift muscles" without deadlifting?

I'm currently doing a DUP setup, following a 3x/week Hypertrophy, Power-ish, Strength cycle. Now that I'm starting to train for a meet, I was thinking--that's pretty dangerous, alek--about a way to reduce lowback fatigue from the Hypertrophy workout. Right now I'm doing Lying Leg Curls and SSB squat for 3 sets of 8 and some deadlift variations that I haven't settled on yet; I've done TnG Deadlift, RDLs, SLDLs, and Deficit Deadlifts.

I'm going to keep the leg curls, and I was thinking of swapping SSB for Leg Press since I can still get a good stimulus without much, if any, lowback fatigue. I'm not sure what a good swap for deadlifts would be.

What I'd like to happen is to get a good hypertrophy workout on Monday that doesn't generate much, if any, lowback fatigue so that I'm super fresh going into Wednesday's Power workout where I'm doing triples right now, but that'll change to doubles and then singles as I get closer to the meet.

I'd going to stick with the DUP setup, and I'm about 100% certain I'll continue it through to the meet.
Not the answer you wanted: you could just not have a deadlift movement on that day if you are worried about lower back fatigue?
If you really want a movement that can fit into that deadlift slot in your program, you could choose some upper back/lat/row movement.

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:27 pm

James wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:59 am There's always hip thrusts.
Yeah, this. Just set your glutes on fire. However you can get there while sparing your low-back: hip thrusts, banded walks, reverse lunge. Do all of that in some horrible circuit.

CheekiBreekiFitness

Post by CheekiBreekiFitness » Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:19 am

alek wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:16 am Is there a way to work the "deadlift muscles" without deadlifting?

What about glute ham raises ?

5hout

Post by 5hout » Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:10 am

CheekiBreekiFitness wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:19 am

What about glute ham raises ?
What's your weak point in your deadlift? If you want to limit lower back fatigue I'd say keep your max effort practice, squat (especially if you are still doing some SSB or low bar) and then pick a variation that shores up your weakest deadlift point.

GeoffBUK

Post by GeoffBUK » Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:47 am

Despite the fact I really should be cutting, I've been pushing for a bench PR, so I believe that I've over reached a bit to much and accumulated to much fatigue, not very scientific reasoning, just my shoulder girdle area, mainly traps feel a bit stiff and beat up, and 92.5kg only just went up, PRs 96.5kgs and I was hoping for 100,
1. Is it usual for the traps to take a beating from stabilizing on the bench or am I getting shit wrong

2. What's the chances of disipating the fatigue without losing momentum and still making a P.R or have I messed this training block up and need to change things up and go from scratch

Maybe just do a light session or 2 then see what 92.5 feels like?

45 yo
A fat 205lbs
Pretty 'meh' genetics

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:54 am

GeoffBUK wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:47 am Despite the fact I really should be cutting, I've been pushing for a bench PR, so I believe that I've over reached a bit to much and accumulated to much fatigue, not very scientific reasoning, just my shoulder girdle area, mainly traps feel a bit stiff and beat up, and 92.5kg only just went up, PRs 96.5kgs and I was hoping for 100,
1. Is it usual for the traps to take a beating from stabilizing on the bench or am I getting shit wrong

2. What's the chances of disipating the fatigue without losing momentum and still making a P.R or have I messed this training block up and need to change things up and go from scratch

45 yo
A fat 205lbs
Pretty 'meh' genetics
I don't know your programming, but generally speaking you can probably cut the main movements for a week and keep the accessory work in and be a new man.

GeoffBUK

Post by GeoffBUK » Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:37 pm

Hardartery wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:54 am
GeoffBUK wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:47 am Despite the fact I really should be cutting, I've been pushing for a bench PR, so I believe that I've over reached a bit to much and accumulated to much fatigue, not very scientific reasoning, just my shoulder girdle area, mainly traps feel a bit stiff and beat up, and 92.5kg only just went up, PRs 96.5kgs and I was hoping for 100,

45 yo
A fat 205lbs
Pretty 'meh' genetics
I don't know your programming, but generally speaking you can probably cut the main movements for a week and keep the accessory work in and be a new man.
Something like:

Day 1, 6 or 7 sets of 5 with 75% or thereabouts

Day 2, 6 or 7 sets of 7 with 70%

Day 3 triples, doubles or a single/s

Probably train every third day
Only way to know is try it I suppose, did 20 reps with about 50% yesterday, I shall try just Triceps work this week instead, Thanks

alek

Post by alek » Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:48 am

James wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:59 am The SBS hypertrophy template has below knee block pulls as the main pull to reduce low back fatigue over high reps.

There's always hip thrusts.
I tried rack pulls once; didn’t really work out for me.

But I think I’m going to give hip thrusts a try.
houzi wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:43 pm Not the answer you wanted: you could just not have a deadlift movement on that day if you are worried about lower back fatigue?
If you really want a movement that can fit into that deadlift slot in your program, you could choose some upper back/lat/row movement.
Makes sense; I’m doing comp deadlift on Wednesdays and paused deadlift on Friday. I may not need another variation on Monday.
CheekiBreekiFitness wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:19 am What about glute ham raises ?
I’m doing lying leg curls already on Mondays. Would doing GHR on the same day be redundant?
5hout wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:10 am What's your weak point in your deadlift? If you want to limit lower back fatigue I'd say keep your max effort practice, squat (especially if you are still doing some SSB or low bar) and then pick a variation that shores up your weakest deadlift point.
I think this was meant for me. My weak point is the mid-range, and I’m doing paused deadlift on Fridays to address it.
Hanley wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:27 pm Yeah, this. Just set your glutes on fire. However you can get there while sparing your low-back: hip thrusts, banded walks, reverse lunge. Do all of that in some horrible circuit.
Y’all convinced me. I’ll give the hip thrusts a shot.

CheekiBreekiFitness

Post by CheekiBreekiFitness » Mon Mar 06, 2023 4:06 am

@alek GHR works both functions of the hamstrings (hip extension and knee flexion) and Leg Curl only works the knee flexion.

You could do both, or alternate between the two when one of them gets stale I don't know.

Probably best not to overthink it too much, mostly you want to limit fatigue and maybe stimulate a bit of muscle protein synthesis if you can.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:48 pm

GeoffBUK wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:37 pm
Hardartery wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:54 am

45 yo
A fat 205lbs
Pretty 'meh' genetics
Something like:

Day 1, 6 or 7 sets of 5 with 75% or thereabouts

Day 2, 6 or 7 sets of 7 with 70%

Day 3 triples, doubles or a single/s

Probably train every third day
Only way to know is try it I suppose, did 20 reps with about 50% yesterday, I shall try just Triceps work this week instead, Thanks
For most guys the hypertrophy/low % stuff is almost restorative and the high % stuff is what drains you so this works a treat. There are some rare birds that get better results with the opposite approach of course... but I hope that gets you what you need.

James

Post by James » Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:21 am

What's the best way to progress weight on neck exercises without a harness? Just jump straight from ten to 25 to 35 to 45 plates after hitting set/rep goals?

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:05 pm

James wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:21 am What's the best way to progress weight on neck exercises without a harness? Just jump straight from ten to 25 to 35 to 45 plates after hitting set/rep goals?
Personally, I was microloading to progress with things like plate curls and extensions, but I suppose there's no reason not to use five- and ten-pound jumps as long as you're able to hit your prescribed reps and sets.

dw

Post by dw » Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:07 pm

James wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:21 am What's the best way to progress weight on neck exercises without a harness? Just jump straight from ten to 25 to 35 to 45 plates after hitting set/rep goals?
I jumped to DBs when I realized my gym didn't have 35 pound plates.