Stupid Questions Thread

All training and programming related queries and banter here

Moderators: mgil, chromoly, Manveer

Hardartery

Re: Stupid Questions Thread

Post by Hardartery » Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:17 pm

augeleven wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:52 pm Which commercial gym machines to not sleep on?
I find myself lifting at the YMCA semi regularly on squat and press days. After I’m done with my main movements, I tend to do what I do at home for accessories, but they have all these cool toys distractions machines that I don’t really use.
Help me up my silly bullshittery game.
I have heard some guys with appreciable size/strength advocate the use of the Good Girl and or Bad Girl. I think that this is particualrly applicable if you have an 80's mustache and wear a headband but I digress. The best way to know is to just pick something and give it a go for a couple of sessions and see what happens. Leg Curl may hit the spot, Leg Extension may get it done, maybe a vfew round on the Vertical Leg Press or Hack Squat. If they have one of those hip thruster thingies bonus points for video evidence of you using it, LOL.

augeleven

Post by augeleven » Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:29 pm

I’m running GZCLs General Gainz, which is structured in a Main lift -> Supplemental lift -> Accessories format. I’m looking for advice along the lines of “why are you bothering with lateral raises when the lateral raise machine is far superior” kind of advice. Thoughts on cable flyes vs pec deck vs machine chest press.

I guess I have the FOMO, and considering T3 exercises (GZCLspeak for accessories) can be switched more often than the main movement, I figured I experiment a bit.
As to what I’m trying to build, I feel equally weak across the board.
dw wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:11 pm
augeleven wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:52 pm Help me up my silly bullshittery game.
This is kind of silly
#neverenough

Going for Press day in a bit. Will report back with follow up questions.

dw

Post by dw » Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:33 pm

Hardartery wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:17 pm
augeleven wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:52 pm Which commercial gym machines to not sleep on?
I find myself lifting at the YMCA semi regularly on squat and press days. After I’m done with my main movements, I tend to do what I do at home for accessories, but they have all these cool toys distractions machines that I don’t really use.
Help me up my silly bullshittery game.
I have heard some guys with appreciable size/strength advocate the use of the Good Girl and or Bad Girl. I think that this is particualrly applicable if you have an 80's mustache and wear a headband but I digress. The best way to know is to just pick something and give it a go for a couple of sessions and see what happens. Leg Curl may hit the spot, Leg Extension may get it done, maybe a vfew round on the Vertical Leg Press or Hack Squat. If they have one of those hip thruster thingies bonus points for video evidence of you using it, LOL.

I'm not sure how redundant the adductor machine is if you already do squats, but if you don't do squats it's a real mass builder imo.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:08 pm

augeleven wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:29 pm I’m running GZCLs General Gainz, which is structured in a Main lift -> Supplemental lift -> Accessories format. I’m looking for advice along the lines of “why are you bothering with lateral raises when the lateral raise machine is far superior” kind of advice. Thoughts on cable flyes vs pec deck vs machine chest press.

I guess I have the FOMO, and considering T3 exercises (GZCLspeak for accessories) can be switched more often than the main movement, I figured I experiment a bit.
augeleven wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:52 pm Help me up my silly bullshittery game.
This is kind of silly
#neverenough

If it's for pecs, I struggle to feel them work on any pressing except incline bench and pushups with extended ROM. Flys or pec deck work better, and TBH I find flys work much better than pec deck but a lot will depend on the machine itself.

I think a reasonably good rule of thumb is to find an exercise that lets you get a really stretch in your pecs. My personal experience is that this seems to be a better predictor of how well I feel the exercise in my pecs. So flys lying down on a bench, for me, are the best. I just need to balance that with setting the exercise up so that I don't piss my shoulders off at the bottom. Chains are great for that, with bands a reasonably close second.

dw

Post by dw » Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:55 pm

MarkKO wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:08 pm
augeleven wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:29 pm I’m running GZCLs General Gainz, which is structured in a Main lift -> Supplemental lift -> Accessories format. I’m looking for advice along the lines of “why are you bothering with lateral raises when the lateral raise machine is far superior” kind of advice. Thoughts on cable flyes vs pec deck vs machine chest press.

This is kind of silly
#neverenough

If it's for pecs, I struggle to feel them work on any pressing except incline bench and pushups with extended ROM. Flys or pec deck work better, and TBH I find flys work much better than pec deck but a lot will depend on the machine itself.

I think a reasonably good rule of thumb is to find an exercise that lets you get a really stretch in your pecs. My personal experience is that this seems to be a better predictor of how well I feel the exercise in my pecs. So flys lying down on a bench, for me, are the best. I just need to balance that with setting the exercise up so that I don't piss my shoulders off at the bottom. Chains are great for that, with bands a reasonably close second.

Fully agree about feeling the stretch being critical to chest hypertrophy. I had so much more success with DB than BB bench seemingly for this reason.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:08 pm

dw wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:55 pm

This is kind of silly
#neverenough

Fully agree about feeling the stretch being critical to chest hypertrophy. I had so much more success with DB than BB bench seemingly for this reason.
Wish I could say the same. DB bench will just feel like everything is working, not one group in particular. Same with press machines. IMO makes for a good main exercise but not for targeting, which is why I tend not to use them.

I imagine Smith machine bench could be good in that respect, once you get into a position that lets you feel whatever you want worked. IIRC some people say guillotine press on a Smith is a great chest builder.

dw

Post by dw » Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:23 pm

MarkKO wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:08 pm

This is kind of silly
#neverenough

Wish I could say the same. DB bench will just feel like everything is working, not one group in particular. Same with press machines. IMO makes for a good main exercise but not for targeting, which is why I tend not to use them.

I imagine Smith machine bench could be good in that respect, once you get into a position that lets you feel whatever you want worked. IIRC some people say guillotine press on a Smith is a great chest builder.

I do DB press with a motion that feels more horizontal than vertical. In fact it feels a lot like a chest fly except my forearms are upright. I just keep my forearms straight and expand and contract my upper arms. It sort of feels like hugging the air.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:42 pm

dw wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:23 pm

This is kind of silly
#neverenough

I do DB press with a motion that feels more horizontal than vertical. In fact it feels a lot like a chest fly except my forearms are upright. I just keep my forearms straight and expand and contract my upper arms. It sort of feels like hugging the air.
That sounds a lot like how I end up doing DB flys when I do them. I swear there's a specific name for it but I can't recall it at the moment.

lehman906

Post by lehman906 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:06 pm

MarkKO wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:42 pm

This is kind of silly
#neverenough

That sounds a lot like how I end up doing DB flys when I do them. I swear there's a specific name for it but I can't recall it at the moment.
I’ve heard it called a barrel press.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:39 pm

lehman906 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:06 pm
MarkKO wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:42 pm

This is kind of silly
#neverenough

I’ve heard it called a barrel press.
Pretty accurate description.

asdf

Post by asdf » Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:46 pm

bobmen10000 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:27 am I have been watching wrestling documentaries lately
Would you mind sharing the titles?

bobmen10000

Post by bobmen10000 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:06 pm

asdf wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:46 pm
bobmen10000 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:27 am I have been watching wrestling documentaries lately
Would you mind sharing the titles?
Woooooo! Becoming Ric Flair. Glosses over or omits a lot of negative Flair stuff but pretty enjoyable.

Tales from the Territories. One hour or so episodes covering major US regional wrestling federations. They don't get into real depth due to format but they are great introduction in us wrestling history, particularly 70s and 80s.

ChasingCurls69

Post by ChasingCurls69 » Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:32 am

This is kind of silly
#neverenough

Leg extension and leg press for sure. Seated hamstring curl as well since at home the main option is something like nordics. Cables or machines for lateral raises is also a big one, and cable incline biceps curls.

augeleven

Post by augeleven » Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:40 am

ChasingCurls69 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:32 am

This is kind of silly
#neverenough

Leg extension and leg press for sure. Seated hamstring curl as well since at home the main option is something like nordics. Cables or machines for lateral raises is also a big one, and cable incline biceps curls.
I have a high-low cable on my rack, although I like the ease of drop sets with a weight stack.

I’m not sure if I’m feeling the lateral raise machine, maybe I need to do a lot more reps. The pec deck was busy the whole time I was there. When I got home I tried a cable lateral raise, and I like it.

Michiganian

Post by Michiganian » Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:46 am

augeleven wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:29 pm I’m looking for advice along the lines of “why are you bothering with lateral raises when the lateral raise machine is far superior” kind of advice. Thoughts on cable flyes vs pec deck vs machine chest press..
They don't all necessarily work the quite same things in quite the same way, even though they may appear to.

When I still had gym memberships I'd do both DB lateral raises and use the lateral raise machine--as the mood struck or depending upon machine availability. I'd do cable flies, incline bench DB flies, machine chest presses, DB chest presses, and barbell chest presses. Vertical DB shoulder presses, seated vertical presses in the Smith machine, and machine shoulder presses. Did incline bench tricep extensions, standing tricep extensions on a cable machine with a variety of attachments, and tricep extensions with a functional trainer.

Mixing it up keeps it challenging and interesting.

dw

Post by dw » Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:49 am

Was the part about lateral raise machines being better just a hypothetical example, or do people believe that?

I recently migrated to DB lateral raises from the machine. At first it was a necessity because the machine was unavailable but then I decided I prefer DB.

Differences:
*You can go harder in a subjective sense on the machine, really digging in your heels and bracing to grind out your final reps
*Conversely DB lateral raises only tax you maximally at one point in the motion, so even RPE 10 sets feel a little easy
*DB raises seem less fatiguing...but are they less effective?
*You get some extra trap work with DBs (even if you're not cheating imo) which I like because I think I neglect them.

augeleven

Post by augeleven » Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:10 am

dw wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:49 am Was the part about lateral raise machines being better just a hypothetical example, or do people believe that?
I was unimpressed. But going forward I’ll probably just do normal db raises, then if the machine is available do a massive run of drop sets until I can’t scratch my ear.

James

Post by James » Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:22 am

I think the thought that machines and cables are better than bars and dumbbells for hypertrophy in certain exercises comes from the idea that constant tension is better than the momentary tension that comes from the physics of a swinging weight.

Is it? No idea. I've heard people saying it but never thought about it deeply because I don't have access to any of that stuff.

asdf

Post by asdf » Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:27 am

bobmen10000 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:06 pm titles of pro wrestling documentaries
Ah. I thought you meant amateur wrestling.

dw

Post by dw » Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:45 am

Saw a guy in the locker room with really advanced gyno today. Had to do a double take...hope he didn't notice.

#stupidcomments