Stupid Questions Thread

All training and programming related queries and banter here

Moderators: mgil, chromoly, Manveer

James

Re: Stupid Questions Thread

Post by James » Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:29 am

Isn't a 1200 total at 160lbs~ like 80th percentile for powerlifters? Not sure if that really counts for having elite level genetics.

janoycresva

Post by janoycresva » Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:47 am

James wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:29 am Isn't a 1200 total at 160lbs~ like 80th percentile for powerlifters? Not sure if that really counts for having elite level genetics.
definitely not actually elite or elite among powerlifters, but certainly way above average for the general population

dw

Post by dw » Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:48 am

James wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:29 am Isn't a 1200 total at 160lbs~ like 80th percentile for powerlifters? Not sure if that really counts for having elite level genetics.
I don't know but competitive male powerlifters at that weight would be much shorter than 5'10, and therefore more muscular than the hypothetical case.

i would say 1200 total @ 5'10 / 160# / 15% bf indicates good strength genetics. Elite? I don't know.

DCR

Post by DCR » Sat Dec 17, 2022 3:06 pm

Does anyone mixed grip or hook RDLs, or is not just getting straps dumb as fuck?

dw

Post by dw » Sat Dec 17, 2022 3:26 pm

DCR wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 3:06 pm Does anyone mixed grip or hook RDLs, or is not just getting straps dumb as fuck?

I used to alternate between them when I did RDLs.

But these days I think it's dumb unless you want to the grip stress. I can certainly cause you to rush the movement a bit if your grip is nearing failure.

janoycresva

Post by janoycresva » Sat Dec 17, 2022 3:57 pm

DCR wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 3:06 pm Does anyone mixed grip or hook RDLs, or is not just getting straps dumb as fuck?
dumb as fuck, eliminate grip as a factor on accessory hinge movements entirely imo

honestly, if not competing and just using the dl as a developmental tool, i would extend that to all pulls and just train grip separately if you care about it (mixed grip is trash tier for developing grip strength outside of the specific context of mixed grip in my experience)

lehman906

Post by lehman906 » Sat Dec 17, 2022 4:29 pm

Strap up and take away that variable from the movement. Train grip with things with farmers walks, deadlift holds, dead hangs from a pull up bar, etc.

DCR

Post by DCR » Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:41 pm

janoycresva wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 3:57 pm
dumb as fuck, eliminate grip as a factor on accessory hinge movements entirely imo
I doubt this will change your answer, but I’m using it as my main hinge. (I haven’t pulled from the floor, other than to then press overhead, for the better part of a year. I started splitting my time between two states, in one of which I lift at a commercial gym in which DLing doesn’t make any sense.)

janoycresva

Post by janoycresva » Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:26 pm

DCR wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:41 pm
I doubt this will change your answer, but I’m using it as my main hinge. (I haven’t pulled from the floor, other than to then press overhead, for the better part of a year. I started splitting my time between two states, in one of which I lift at a commercial gym in which DLing doesn’t make any sense.)
I’d probably just strap up, using chalk in public gyms is always hit or miss depending on how much the staff there at the time care to enforce the rules, and I doubt hook grip at rdl weights is that specific to hook grip at heavy dl weights (I only have a few months of hook grip experience so take that with a grain of salt)

having mixed grip for literally like 10 years before i came to my senses, I’m now of the (maybe extremist?) opinion that almost nobody should mixed grip unless they actually compete or are planning to compete

CheekiBreekiFitness

Post by CheekiBreekiFitness » Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:49 am

I'm not a powerlifter or a weightlifter, so I just use straps on everything. I deadlift to grow my back hamstrings and glutes, not my forearms. And I'm not even sure deadlifts with a mixed grip are a good exercise to grow your forearms.

slowmotion

Post by slowmotion » Sun Dec 18, 2022 2:41 am

I don't compete or anything, so I just do whatever I feel like on the day. Sometimes mixed grip, sometimes straps.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Sun Dec 18, 2022 12:25 pm

I have recently given up mixed grip, as I was suspecting it was causing some very specific tendonitis in my right elbow. Not sure it was, but pain seems to be gone after 2 (3?) weeks of no mixed grip. Haven't fully gotten used to straps yet though. Feels harder than mixed.

ChasingCurls69

Post by ChasingCurls69 » Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:59 pm

I used to hook my RDLs and then when I got straps I realized using hook for that was dumb as fuck.

James

Post by James » Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:22 am

Personal preference question. Do you base your incline grip on your bench grip or your over head grip? Or is it its own thing?

I've always used my current bench width as reference for incline grip width.

asdf

Post by asdf » Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:03 am

This isn't a stupid question, but rather a question about a stupid action.

I was benching with my wife, so lots of plate swapping between sets. At one point, I forgot that I had a 5# metal plate on the outside. I grabbed the outside bumper and slide it off quickly, which launched the 5# metal plate onto my toe. Two days later, it's super swollen and purple. I had to wear my Metcons yesterday to snatch and squat, because I couldn't fit my fat toe into my lifters without pain.

In my defense, (i) there was something that distracted me immediately before pulling the bumper plate, (ii) we lift in a somewhat dimly lit garage (so that we can see city lights out our open garage door), and (iii) both the bumper and the change plate are black, so not super visible.

Been lifting for more than 40 years and first time I've dropped a weight on my foot or toe.

Anyone else ever done this?

SnakePlissken

Post by SnakePlissken » Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:15 am

James wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:22 am Personal preference question. Do you base your incline grip on your bench grip or your over head grip? Or is it its own thing?

I use my regular bench grip as my regular incline bench grip, but I also bench narrow compared to most people (about 2 finger widths inside the rings from my pinkie). Keeps everything consistent though.

dw

Post by dw » Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:29 am

asdf wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:03 am This isn't a stupid question, but rather a question about a stupid action.

I was benching with my wife, so lots of plate swapping between sets. At one point, I forgot that I had a 5# metal plate on the outside. I grabbed the outside bumper and slide it off quickly, which launched the 5# metal plate onto my toe. Two days later, it's super swollen and purple. I had to wear my Metcons yesterday to snatch and squat, because I couldn't fit my fat toe into my lifters without pain.

In my defense, (i) there was something that distracted me immediately before pulling the bumper plate, (ii) we lift in a somewhat dimly lit garage (so that we can see city lights out our open garage door), and (iii) both the bumper and the change plate are black, so not super visible.

Been lifting for more than 40 years and first time I've dropped a weight on my foot or toe.

Yep.

ChasingCurls69

Post by ChasingCurls69 » Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:33 pm

James wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:22 am Personal preference question. Do you base your incline grip on your bench grip or your over head grip? Or is it its own thing?

I do pinkie on the ring as my standard incline bench, and my standard bench is max grip width. I find that anything wider on incline feels worse on my shoulder and has fucked up mechanics.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:18 pm

honestly, if not competing and just using the dl as a developmental tool, i would extend that to all pulls and just train grip separately if you care about it (mixed grip is trash tier for developing grip strength outside of the specific context of mixed grip in my experience)
I couldn't have said this better myself. Bang on. I'd add that mixed grip on RDL also is counterproductive to what you are trying to develop. The movement is different if both hands don't have the same orientation. Working DOH on the warm ups will do more for the grip than switching to mixed. The only reasons to do mixed are that you forgot your straps or you are actually deadlifting with the objective of deadlifting in a PL contest and don't like hook grip.

Cleverusername

Post by Cleverusername » Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:48 pm

asdf wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:03 am This isn't a stupid question, but rather a question about a stupid action.

Yup, dropped a 10 and broke my big toe. 2ish years ago