Stupid Questions Thread

All training and programming related queries and banter here

Moderators: mgil, chromoly, Manveer

EggMcMuffin

Re: Stupid Questions Thread

Post by EggMcMuffin » Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:19 pm

Should I wait to buy underwear until after I lose weight? I wear around size 34 pants and am 170lbs atm, goal weight is 163lbs IDK how much thinner I will get I seem to be built like a fridge these days

JimRiley

Post by JimRiley » Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:41 pm

EggMcMuffin wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:19 pm Should I wait to buy underwear until after I lose weight? I wear around size 34 pants and am 170lbs atm, goal weight is 163lbs IDK how much thinner I will get I seem to be built like a fridge these days
I bounce around in that same neighborhood, and for me it amounts to about one belt notch - definitely not enough to switch to larger or smaller clothes.

5hout

Post by 5hout » Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:38 am

When I use the rowing machine at the very beginning of my stroke my arms are wedged apart by my legs at max grip length on the oar bar thing. Should I make it longer so I can grip it wider, or is this normal? My feet are as close together as possible.

OrderInChaos

Post by OrderInChaos » Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:56 pm

5hout wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:38 am When I use the rowing machine at the very beginning of my stroke my arms are wedged apart by my legs at max grip length on the oar bar thing. Should I make it longer so I can grip it wider, or is this normal? My feet are as close together as possible.
Knees closer together is a good first cue to fix that - plus you'll get more power out of each stroke that way. Feels weird as hell at first. At the bottom of the stroke, the handle should fall basically to the bottom of your shins or top of your tarsals as your knees stuff toward your clavicles. Then drive hard through the heels like a good leg press or hack squat with narrow stance, pulling through/into the sternum-to-navel area.

(I still friction off a little hair on the brachioradialis and a part of the outer thigh on long row sessions - bodyglide is nice...)

A stroke like that can get me below 2:10ish/500M for a 2 to 5k with an RPE of like "6ish" , where if I let my knees flay outward like I used to squat, everything's less efficient and harder. (I still lapse back to crap form doing intervals like 100M's, 250M's, and "30/60s")

AlanMackey

Post by AlanMackey » Sun Apr 30, 2023 6:50 am

Does anyone have tried this high frequency, low intensity approach, where you train Monday to Friday doing different lift variations every day?

For instance:
  • Monday: bench.
  • Tuesday: press
  • Wednesday: dips.
  • Thursday: incline press
  • Friday: close grip.
Last edited by AlanMackey on Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

augeleven

Post by augeleven » Sun Apr 30, 2023 7:35 am

AlanMackey wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 6:50 am Has anyone have tried this high frequency, low intensity approach, where you train Monday to Friday doing different lift variations every day?

For instance:
I'm running a reddit-dude program called Press every day, where I overhead press 4 reps above 85% every day, as well as four days of volume work.
He suggests to do sets across Smolov style with 4 different variations, but doing

Monday: Bench 1-3@8-9ish, 5 sets of 3-6
Wednesday: Overhead Press 5 sets of 4-8
Friday: Close Grip a 12-16rm, 4 half sets
Saturday: Behind the neck press ramping sets of 8-10, stop, when I get below 8

Today is day 41 of a projected 50, but I may just move stuff around.
Full disclore: My upper body movements are weak, so I'm not causing a whole lot of stress

AlanMackey

Post by AlanMackey » Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:50 am

augeleven wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 7:35 am
AlanMackey wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 6:50 am Has anyone have tried this high frequency, low intensity approach, where you train Monday to Friday doing different lift variations every day?

For instance:
I'm running a reddit-dude program called Press every day, where I overhead press 4 reps above 85% every day, as well as four days of volume work.
He suggests to do sets across Smolov style with 4 different variations, but doing

Full disclore: My upper body movements are weak, so I'm not causing a whole lot of stress
Is that the same dude who also did a fuckton of consecutive deadlifting days and got over 700+?

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:45 am

AlanMackey wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 6:50 am Does anyone have tried this high frequency, low intensity approach, where you train Monday to Friday doing different lift variations every day?

For instance:
I think this is definitely worth trying, especially if you don't know how you'll respond to it.

Personally, I'd cluster it all into fewer days so I could catch more single session stress followed up by longer rests. Right now I'm doing 4 pressing sessions per week where I do an AMRAP on bench or press, followed by accessory work.

augeleven

Post by augeleven » Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:50 am

AlanMackey wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:50 am Is that the same dude who also did a fuckton of consecutive deadlifting days and got over 700+?
Yeah. Dadliftnruns aka nsuns. PED is based on that DED, but with the additional layer of volume. Except I botched up the volume bit due to training ADD/need for auto regulation/assuming I know what works for me better/chasing volume PRs. It’s fun, but is only sustainable during my always at work or home seasons.
I also noticed that I don’t have the juice to do a lot of pulling volume. Generally I superset a pull-up or row with my presses, but I’m carrying quite a bit of upper back fatigue. Maybe the cleans from the presses?

AlanMackey

Post by AlanMackey » Sun Apr 30, 2023 2:10 pm

broseph wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:45 am
AlanMackey wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 6:50 am Does anyone have tried this high frequency, low intensity approach, where you train Monday to Friday doing different lift variations every day?

For instance:
I think this is definitely worth trying, especially if you don't know how you'll respond to it.

Personally, I'd cluster it all into fewer days so I could catch more single session stress followed up by longer rests. Right now I'm doing 4 pressing sessions per week where I do an AMRAP on bench or press, followed by accessory work.
How do you titrate volume?

AlanMackey

Post by AlanMackey » Sun Apr 30, 2023 2:15 pm

augeleven wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:50 am Yeah. Dadliftnruns aka nsuns. PED is based on that DED, but with the additional layer of volume. Except I botched up the volume bit due to training ADD/need for auto regulation/assuming I know what works for me better/chasing volume PRs. It’s fun, but is only sustainable during my always at work or home seasons.
I also noticed that I don’t have the juice to do a lot of pulling volume. Generally I superset a pull-up or row with my presses, but I’m carrying quite a bit of upper back fatigue. Maybe the cleans from the presses?
DED would definitely kill me.

I can squat almost everyday no problem, but I have to be very, very, very careful of my pulling volume.

houzi

Post by houzi » Sun Apr 30, 2023 6:49 pm

augeleven wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 7:35 am

For instance:

How is the Press Every Day program going? Have you managed to press every day? I was sort of eyeing this, having seen the wild results on bench press the guy running it got.

augeleven

Post by augeleven » Sun Apr 30, 2023 7:48 pm

houzi wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 6:49 pm How is the Press Every Day program going?
I don’t know. I’m surviving it. My last block I pressed once a week for a high rep top set with back off half sets (GZCL GG style). There were two random weeks wheee my e1rm was 141 and 145, but it was mostly in the 130s. I hadn’t pressed anything over 115 this school year. My all time PR was 170 in 2021, but I was like 30 pounds heavier.

My e1rm is now mid 140s, although it has days when it dips (like today). I’m carrying significant fatigue, so I’m excited to see where my top is after a deload week. But I’m probably going to be sad when my e1rm goes back down when I cut down frequency.

Clearwater47

Post by Clearwater47 » Mon May 01, 2023 9:38 am

I've done each of the main lifts every other day for stretches of a couple of months (not all the same time).

I seem to tolerate deadlift volume better than just about anything else. My knees act up quickly from squatting. Elbows and wrists go to hell quickly when benching/pressing.

I think doing a particular lift every day for a period of time is definitely doable if allowed enough variation in volume and tonnage.

For me, higher frequency has typically led to more weight on the bar. I haven't done any of the lifts every day yet though because I haven't had the best mindset for easing off the throttle and would likely just get myself hurt...
I keep thinking I should try it at some point though.

GeoffBUK

Post by GeoffBUK » Sun May 07, 2023 4:44 am

So is "Fatigue resistant" just the same as fewer fast twitch fibers less Neuro muscular efficiency, less fast/explosive in general?

alphagamma

Post by alphagamma » Sun May 07, 2023 8:19 am

GeoffBUK wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 4:44 am So is "Fatigue resistant" just the same as fewer fast twitch fibers less Neuro muscular efficiency, less fast/explosive in general?
I think so. I consider myself fatigue resistant and my SVJ is around 12".

GeoffBUK

Post by GeoffBUK » Mon May 08, 2023 2:18 am

alphagamma wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 8:19 am
GeoffBUK wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 4:44 am So is "Fatigue resistant" just the same as fewer fast twitch fibers less Neuro muscular efficiency, less fast/explosive in general?
I think so. I consider myself fatigue resistant and my SVJ is around 12".
Thanks, yea my SVJ would also be about that, even when younger and leaner I doubt I'd manage much more, I always lacked athleticism.

AlanMackey

Post by AlanMackey » Sat May 13, 2023 4:57 am

Okay, someone please explain to me why oly shows usually have pretty high heels, whereas deadlifting shoes are zero drop. I suppose it's because high heels supposedly help with the squat portion of the quick lifts, but it may be a hindrance while starting the pull from the floor.
Last edited by AlanMackey on Sat May 13, 2023 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

lheugh

Post by lheugh » Sat May 13, 2023 5:40 am

AlanMackey wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 4:57 am Okay, someone please explain to me why oly shows usually have pretty high heels, whereas deadlifting shoes are zero drop. I suppose it's because high heels supposedly help with the squat portion of the quick lifts, but it may be a hindrance while starting the full from the floor.
Olympic lifting shoes are a must for two reasons. First, the hard soles don’t compress under loads, thereby curbing the instability more prevalent in soft-soled shoes as well as ensuring that there are less leaks in the generated force when being transmitted from the platform to the bar. Secondly, as you said, the lifted heels effectively increase the ankles’ range of motion, allowing the lifter in question to keep the hips forward and torso upright as needed in the squat segment of each of the lifts.

Deadlifting in slippers, specific-shoes, or barefoot is in essence a practice of limiting the range of motion as much as possible. It also removes potential compression issues and force transfer leaks.

AlanMackey

Post by AlanMackey » Sat May 13, 2023 7:36 am

lheugh wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 5:40 am
AlanMackey wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 4:57 am Okay, someone please explain to me why oly shows usually have pretty high heels, whereas deadlifting shoes are zero drop. I suppose it's because high heels supposedly help with the squat portion of the quick lifts, but it may be a hindrance while starting the full from the floor.
Olympic lifting shoes are a must for two reasons. First, the hard soles don’t compress under loads, thereby curbing the instability more prevalent in soft-soled shoes as well as ensuring that there are less leaks in the generated force when being transmitted from the platform to the bar. Secondly, as you said, the lifted heels effectively increase the ankles’ range of motion, allowing the lifter in question to keep the hips forward and torso upright as needed in the squat segment of each of the lifts.

Deadlifting in slippers, specific-shoes, or barefoot is in essence a practice of limiting the range of motion as much as possible. It also removes potential compression issues and force transfer leaks.
Makes sense, thanks.