All training and programming related queries and banter here

Moderators: mgil, chromoly, Manveer

dw

Re: Stupid Questions Thread

Post by dw » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:57 am

Hardartery wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:31 am
Renascent wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:15 pm
dw wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:22 am @renascent

What did you mean by taking an "athletic stance" when you do the abductor machine?
Same stance that you would take if you were doing lateral band walks or something akin to that movement. You're not sitting on the seat at all; you're going to be in a squat position (but not deep enough to get three white lights in competition).

It's a glute "hack" that was (probably still is) prevalent on a lot of Instagram ass-building accounts.
I find this "Intriguing" to watch in he gym, I've never seen a guy do it though. It is probably less entertaining with a guy performing it.

In my gym both of these machines get quite a bit of use, but what I have noticed is that nobody goes remotely hard on them at all. I will see reasonably athletic looking guys doing the abductor machine with say 20 pounds of resistance.

I don't know if they're treating them as warmup machines or some kind of prehab or what.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:53 am

What did you mean by taking an "athletic stance" when you do the abductor machine?
Same stance that you would take if you were doing lateral band walks or something akin to that movement. You're not sitting on the seat at all; you're going to be in a squat position (but not deep enough to get three white lights in competition).

It's a glute "hack" that was (probably still is) prevalent on a lot of Instagram ass-building accounts.
I find this "Intriguing" to watch in he gym, I've never seen a guy do it though. It is probably less entertaining with a guy performing it.
Probably depends on who's doing the watching. Most of my more-obvious gym admirers tended to not be women, for whatever it's worth.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:59 am

dw wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:57 am

In my gym both of these machines get quite a bit of use, but what I have noticed is that nobody goes remotely hard on them at all. I will see reasonably athletic looking guys doing the abductor machine with say 20 pounds of resistance.

I don't know if they're treating them as warmup machines or some kind of prehab or what.
I've seen some use it as a warmup, and some people who were very religious about that machine.

I used to die inside when some of the more casual folks would sit on it, use barely enough resistance to prevent their wrists from being disturbed while playing Candy Crush, and do sets for an eternity at a snail's pace (and of course they'd rest on it, too). They'd look at me like I was crazy if I came back ten minutes later and asked if I could work in while they "rested." I guess they figured they'd parked on a machine that no one else could possibly want to use.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:09 am

Renascent wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:53 am

Probably depends on who's doing the watching. Most of my more-obvious gym admirers tended to not be women, for whatever it's worth.
I'm not going there. I would be uncomfortable getting on the Good Girl or the Bad Girl and drawing too much male attention. They can gawk at Squats and Deads all they want but these machines.......yikes.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:18 am

Hardartery wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:09 am
Renascent wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:53 am

I'm not going there. I would be uncomfortable getting on the Good Girl or the Bad Girl and drawing too much male attention. They can gawk at Squats and Deads all they want but these machines.......yikes.
It only bothered me when it was clear that the dude staring/admiring was wrestling with some inner conflict of his own.

There was one beefy dude who always did handstand pushups. And talked a lotta braggadocious shit -- real loud and such. Always thought that guy wanted to fight me the way he'd scowl from across the room, until one day when he finally got his compliment out of his system. Then I realized that fightin' expression was really some kind of, uh, frustrated bedroom expression.

It was always easier to deal with the ones that would just make their lewd comment, share a laugh with me, and then go on about their business.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:50 am

Renascent wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:18 am
It only bothered me when it was clear that the dude staring/admiring was wrestling with some inner conflict of his own.

There was one beefy dude who always did handstand pushups. And talked a lotta braggadocious shit -- real loud and such. Always thought that guy wanted to fight me the way he'd scowl from across the room, until one day when he finally got his compliment out of his system. Then I realized that fightin' expression was really some kind of, uh, frustrated bedroom expression.

It was always easier to deal with the ones that would just make their lewd comment, share a laugh with me, and then go on about their business.
Yikes. Conflicted weirdos that crave attention are not fun.

acorn1293

Post by acorn1293 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:20 pm

@DCR @Hardartery @Testiclaw thanks for the advice guys! I think SSB or Front Squats would definitely help correct my tendency to good morning squat but I also like the idea of focusing on 2 powerlifts at a time. I can see me doing really well with that.

mouse

Post by mouse » Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:27 am

LoudMuffin wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:38 am
DCR wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:49 pm
LoudMuffin wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:08 pm Why do people ask for lifting advice and then not listen to anything you say?
Come on, man.
I just realize how ironic that post is :mrgreen:
I legit lol'd...

Probably not an answer specific/relevant to your situation, but the reason they ask and then ignore, is because you didn't answer with what they were looking for... lots of people looking for 'workout advice' are looking for confirmation bias or to be told there is some easy trick that involves them doing less work that they don't know about...

alphagamma

Post by alphagamma » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:31 pm

Is it possible to be fatigue resistant on the upper body but very fatigue sensitive on the lower body? I find that I could only do maybe 8-9 reps @ 70% on my squat a good day, 5-7 on normal/bad days while doing HVLF.

What kind of programming archetype would be more suitable for fatigue sensitive lifters? Just reduce volume/frequency further, like 5x3 squats on HVLF or something?

Hanley said in another thread:

>You might also try 1) increasing volume beyond what I listed in the template, and 2) taking longer intersession rest as necessary.

>^ on paper doing this doesn't really make sense...but it's undeniably worked for me (I think it has to do with different rates of stimulus in the various system of benching muscles).

So...the opposite for "fatigue sensitive" lifters?

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:29 pm

alphagamma wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:31 pmI find that I could only do maybe 8-9 reps @ 70% on my squat a good day, 5-7 on normal/bad days while doing HVLF.
I'd scrap percentage-based work.

For hypertrophy, I might do something like
1) initial set of 8-10 reps @ RPE 7-8, then
2) 20-30 more reps (you have to scale total volume to your recovery ability) in variable rep sets staying mostly in RPE 5-7 zone

For "strength-skill", I'd do a bunch of singles anywhere in RPE 6-9 zone

For the in-between loads, I'd change up a bit and do something like
1) initial set of 3-5 reps @ RPE 7-8ish
2) then drop load 5-8% for 3 more sets of the rep count from the initial set.

^ something like that.

alphagamma

Post by alphagamma » Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:41 pm

Hanley wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:29 pm
alphagamma wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:31 pmI find that I could only do maybe 8-9 reps @ 70% on my squat a good day, 5-7 on normal/bad days while doing HVLF.

2) 20-30 more reps (you have to scale total volume to your recovery ability) in variable rep sets staying mostly in RPE 5-7 zone

^ something like that.
Thanks for the response. The inbetween load recommendation seems to jive with my observations. I tend to get big bursts of strength when I try to do a 5x3 LPish program.

Would frequency be higher or lower than a fatigue resistant lifter? I guess it depends on intersession recovery? Ive never known what to do on "light days" to be honest so Ive always tended to squat/bench 3x a week.

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:23 am

alphagamma wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:41 pm Would frequency be higher or lower than a fatigue resistant lifter? I guess it depends on intersession recovery?
Yeah, I don't think acute fatigability correlates to rate of recovery.

EggMcMuffin

Post by EggMcMuffin » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:40 pm

Anyone ever succesfully combated sleep problems without the typical BBM crap? I'm about to get fired from my job on account of being late every single day due to my fucked up sleep schedule (5AM bedtime lmao) and literally nothing I have tried seems to get me back to normal human hours, or even your regular night owl 2AM bedtime

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:14 pm

LoudMuffin wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:40 pm Anyone ever succesfully combated sleep problems without the typical BBM crap? I'm about to get fired from my job on account of being late every single day due to my fucked up sleep schedule (5AM bedtime lmao) and literally nothing I have tried seems to get me back to normal human hours, or even your regular night owl 2AM bedtime
Probably not a short term solution, but taking glycine everyday (for collagen production support) has led to me sleeping through the night when i used to almost always wake up in the middle of the night.

It's said to be good for sleep, but i've never experienced an accute response the times i've taken a bunch before bed when i had something i needed to wake up for at a certain time.

I've listened to this guy on Stemtalk podcast, and he is for sure credentialled and well respected.
His sleep remedy seems expensive, and i don't know how to balance that with his pretty well recognized expertise.
Might be worth a listen.
Full show notes on the page
https://www.ihmc.us/stemtalk/episode011/

One important thing he talks about is how too much melatonin is detrimental to sleep, and that most people use WAY too much when they supplement

I will never be spending this kind of money on a sleep remedy, but then again, i rarely ever need to be anywhere at a given time.
https://store.docparsley.com/
I think it's pretty cool he lists the ingredients in the "propriatory blend"

OrderInChaos

Post by OrderInChaos » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:33 pm

LoudMuffin wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:40 pm Anyone ever succesfully combated sleep problems without the typical BBM crap? I'm about to get fired from my job on account of being late every single day due to my fucked up sleep schedule (5AM bedtime lmao) and literally nothing I have tried seems to get me back to normal human hours, or even your regular night owl 2AM bedtime
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=1826

James

Post by James » Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:19 pm

When ever I mess up my sleep schedule I usually just keep active to stay awake till about 6pm the next day. Eat a heavy meal and take some aleve d and benadryl about a half hour before I lay down.

thoradicus

Post by thoradicus » Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:05 pm

Hanley wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:29 pm

^ something like that.
While we are on the topic of fatigue resistance...how would reps/set be programmed when I could do I think 20 reps @ 70% for the squat and bench?

Based on your post here viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2422&p=196761&hilit ... nt#p196683

Assuming max recoverable volume is 40 reps, i am supposed to do 13-15x3 or something? Sorry if I am butchering this.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:50 am

@Testiclaw

What do pullovers accomplish when trying to improve thoracic extension?

Testiclaw

Post by Testiclaw » Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:34 pm

Renascent wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:50 am @Testiclaw

What do pullovers accomplish when trying to improve thoracic extension?
I use them as a weighted stretch, and eventually add a small foam roller under the middle-back.

I don't think unweighted stretches are that useful, but a loaded movement that we can progressively load while also progressively increase range of motion and stretching can be useful when coupled with learning how to overhead squat.

DanCR

Post by DanCR » Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:52 pm

Pullovers are to the 20 rep squat program as power cleans are to the SSNLP.