DIY Rogue Belt Squat Attachment?

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

quikky

DIY Rogue Belt Squat Attachment?

Post by quikky » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:35 pm

I was looking at Rogue's web site the other day and thought of a way to create a simple DIY belt squat attachment. The idea would be to get a 3 foot strip like this:

https://www.roguefitness.com/the-3x3-strip-2-0

Attach a pair of pegs to it like these:

https://www.roguefitness.com/sp3358-pla ... nster-lite

And then just use one of the band pegs to attach this cross-shaped contraption to an R3-like rack on one end, with the other end just resting on the ground away from the rack. It seems that if you attach it at a point about a foot and a half off the ground, you should be able to load the plates on without them touching the ground. The actual belt would just attach to one of the end holes on the strip.

I know @TimK has done something similar but with a 70" Titan crossmember. Just wondering if anyone has tried something like this, and if I'm missing anything.

TimK
Much Mustache

Re: DIY Rogue Belt Squat Attachment?

Post by TimK » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:40 pm

It will probably work, but there are drawbacks to a shorter lever arm. At 36", the path of the belt attachment point will have more curvature. Might not be enough to bother you but IMO a straighter path is better.

Another issue is the weight placement. I mounted my plates as close to me as possible while still allowing my knees to clear them, and that ended up being 17" from the belt attachment point. With a 36" lever arm that's almost the halfway point, meaning that the resistance you feel is only going to be about half of the weight you actually load, so you'll need to load it up a lot heavier to get the same effect.

quikky

Post by quikky » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:48 am

Hmm, interesting. The plates would get in the way due to their width, or distance to the attachment point?

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:02 am

quikky wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:48 am Hmm, interesting. The plates would get in the way due to their width, or distance to the attachment point?
Not sure exactly what you mean but the closer the plates get to you the wider you need to go with your stance to be able to clear them. I like using a fairly narrow stance to increase knee ROM and theoretically stress the quads more so I basically figured out with that stance where I needed to put the plates to avoid hitting them with my knees and it ended up at 17" from the end of the arm. If you have shorter femurs or like a wider stance you might be able to get them closer to you but probably not by much.

quikky

Post by quikky » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:09 am

TimK wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:02 am
quikky wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:48 am Hmm, interesting. The plates would get in the way due to their width, or distance to the attachment point?
Not sure exactly what you mean but the closer the plates get to you the wider you need to go with your stance to be able to clear them. I like using a fairly narrow stance to increase knee ROM and theoretically stress the quads more so I basically figured out with that stance where I needed to put the plates to avoid hitting them with my knees and it ended up at 17" from the end of the arm. If you have shorter femurs or like a wider stance you might be able to get them closer to you but probably not by much.
Yeah, it's a bit hard to describe it properly. I think what you're saying is by the time you add all the plates you want, the total thickness of all the plates forces your knees out more, so you move them further out. I have Rogue comp plates so I wonder what effect that has on the necessary distance since they're much thinner.

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:20 am

quikky wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:09 am
TimK wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:02 am
Yeah, it's a bit hard to describe it properly. I think what you're saying is by the time you add all the plates you want, the total thickness of all the plates forces your knees out more, so you move them further out. I have Rogue comp plates so I wonder what effect that has on the necessary distance since they're much thinner.
Yeah comp plates should give you some extra leeway. Kinda hard to know for sure how it's all going to fit together until you have the parts to play around with though.

quikky

Post by quikky » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:29 am

For sure. The feelz especially are near impossible to think through without actually using it. I like your crossmember approach but would like to try something more compact. My gym is not particularly small, but having an extra 70" piece of metal with plate pegs lying around would be a bit cumbersome.

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:05 am

quikky wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:29 am For sure. The feelz especially are near impossible to think through without actually using it. I like your crossmember approach but would like to try something more compact. My gym is not particularly small, but having an extra 70" piece of metal with plate pegs lying around would be a bit cumbersome.
Could you make it collapsible?

quikky

Post by quikky » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:06 am

damufunman wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:05 am
quikky wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:29 am For sure. The feelz especially are near impossible to think through without actually using it. I like your crossmember approach but would like to try something more compact. My gym is not particularly small, but having an extra 70" piece of metal with plate pegs lying around would be a bit cumbersome.
You have it fold into the rack or collapse for loading/using? For the former, I think the pegs might be the problem. For the latter, I'm thinking the attachment edge will just rest on the ground.

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:11 am

quikky wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:06 am
You have it fold into the rack or collapse for loading/using? For the former, I think the pegs might be the problem. For the latter, I'm thinking the attachment edge will just rest on the ground.
Yeah something along those lines. If you could find a section of U steel that fits over the arm part you could make that a hinge. Would probably require some metal cutting though, not sure how well you equipped for that.

quikky

Post by quikky » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:21 am

damufunman wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:11 am
Yeah something along those lines. If you could find a section of U steel that fits over the arm part you could make that a hinge. Would probably require some metal cutting though, not sure how well you equipped for that.
Something like this might work:

https://www.titan.fitness/adjustable-j- ... 00890.html

I'd like to start super simple first though, and just see if the whole motion and setup are decent. Then if it's good I could tweak it to make it even better.

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:58 pm

quikky wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:21 am
damufunman wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:11 am
Something like this might work:

https://www.titan.fitness/adjustable-j- ... 00890.html

I'd like to start super simple first though, and just see if the whole motion and setup are decent. Then if it's good I could tweak it to make it even better.
I just saw that today, would be great for a mount cuz you could remove it. I was thinking a hinge between two sections to make a collapsible arm.