Pipe and Tobacco Thread

Recipes and such

Moderator: d0uevenlift

broseph
High Fiber

Re: Pipe and Tobacco Thread

Post by broseph » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:41 am

Next up from my Lane aromatic sampler was RHQ-3. This one actually tasted like tobacco instead of pure flavoring, and the aromatics complimented the overall taste. Definitely my favorite so far. Also, my wife really liked the second hand smell, which is always good.

I'm asking for a Savinelli for Chrimbus, and being really annoying about, so hopefully that goes through.

tersh wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:45 pm If you decide you'd like a tin of well-aged Nightcap, give me a holler.
I saw you talking about that earlier. Sounds like fun, but probably out of my price-league (for pipe tobacco).

AaronM
Pheasant

Post by AaronM » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:44 am

Last night I had Anniversary Kake (vaper) in a Stanwell bent horn. Got below 65 outside last night so I had to put a sweater on.

I think there's a few possum or raccoons in the area, because I heard a lot of scurrying around my fence-line, and critters climbing trees. Guess it's time to setup the trap again. 2 years ago I caught 3 raccoons over a period of 4-5 days, at least one of which had managed to get into my attic. Too bad I live within city limits, or I could've of permanently removed them...

tersh

Post by tersh » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:18 pm

broseph wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:41 am I saw you talking about that earlier. Sounds like fun, but probably out of my price-league (for pipe tobacco).
Nah. I'm not some mean-spirited capitalist, and I will part with it for a very reasonable amount of dollars.
I'd rather see it get smoked by someone who will enjoy it.

AaronM
Pheasant

Post by AaronM » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:23 pm

GLP Union Square in a Peterson Rosslare bent billiard. Good evenings for smoking as of late.

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:01 pm

Dunhill Early Morning in @Root 's Mr Brog full bent.

Pre-light in garage.
Get the boy's shoes, coat, and helmet on.
Full light.
Smoke and walk with the boy and his training wheel bike.
No relights.
Bowl finishes just as we get back to the driveway.
Perfect.

The Early Morning was unremarkable but pleasant. Wife said I smelled trashy when I got home. Perfect smoke ruined.

tdood

Post by tdood » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:05 pm

I'd like to smoke a pipe, but whenever I mess around with pipes and cigars it's only a matter of time before I'm packing horseshoes.

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:43 pm

tdood wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:05 pm ...I'm packing horseshoes.
This means chewing tobacco, right? Or some kind of sex act?

tdood

Post by tdood » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:10 pm

broseph wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:43 pm
tdood wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:05 pm ...I'm packing horseshoes.
This means chewing tobacco, right? Or some kind of sex act?
It means my bottom lip is overflowing with tobacco, from one side to the other.

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:59 pm

So I guess buying everyone else's used smoking paraphernalia for pennies on the dollar is my "thing."

I cracked open @tersh's 11 year old Dunhill Nightcap today and had a smoke of it.

I was mentally prepared for it to be dry dust, especially since I could smell it's aroma before opening the tin, and I knew this was a possible gamble. It was actually well preserved- more dry than a fresh tin, but nowhere near the danger zone. Some of the flakes had a whitish powder on them, but I assumed it to be crystallized organics as seen on aged cigars. The texture was different for sure, I fluffed it out of the tin with more care than usual.

I packed the bowl in my typical manner and it took several initial lights to get it going, resulting in a fairly dense ash cap. I'm sure there's a proper term for that, and my packing is probably just as much to blame as the tobacco itself. I gave it a few pokes and just barely stirred the top ash into the unlit tobacco below. After that it smoked just fine.

Flavor was super mellow compared to my fresh Nightcap. Not better or worse, but very different. It smoked for about 45 minutes before refusing to take a re-light and there was more dottle left over than usual. But again- probably my own fault.

I wonder if some of my trouble was because I've been smoking wetter stuff lately, and I need to treat the dryer tobacco different with regards to packing/lighting/tamping/stirring/ashing/smoking... I'll probably add a little moisture to some of it and see if that makes a difference.

Overall I'm very happy with this stuff, and I plan to make it last. It's just kind of cool to have a jar of tobacco that's over 10 years old.... Hmmm, that's around the age of my marriage... Maybe I'll keep this in reserve and smoke it at milestone anniversaries- that might be cool.

Sorry for the long winded write up, but I thought tersh would appreciate a full report since he practically gifted it to me.

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:07 pm

No one else snuck in a smoke during this warmer weather?!?!

I finally got to try the Savinelli my wife got me for Xmas...

and made a super cool gif of my ugly mug smoking it:

AaronM
Pheasant

Post by AaronM » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:53 pm

broseph wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:07 pm No one else snuck in a smoke during this warmer weather?!?!

I finally got to try the Savinelli my wife got me for Xmas...

and made a super cool gif of my ugly mug smoking it:
I approve of this post.

asd

Post by asd » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:59 am

If there weren't any adverse side-effects, I'd like to smoke tobacco. I think it would be nice with espresso sometimes.

@tersh u smoke BACKWOODS?? lmfao that is excellent

tersh

Post by tersh » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:25 pm

broseph wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:59 pm So I guess buying everyone else's used smoking paraphernalia for pennies on the dollar is my "thing."

I cracked open @tersh's 11 year old Dunhill Nightcap today and had a smoke of it.

I was mentally prepared for it to be dry dust, especially since I could smell it's aroma before opening the tin, and I knew this was a possible gamble. It was actually well preserved- more dry than a fresh tin, but nowhere near the danger zone. Some of the flakes had a whitish powder on them, but I assumed it to be crystallized organics as seen on aged cigars. The texture was different for sure, I fluffed it out of the tin with more care than usual.

I packed the bowl in my typical manner and it took several initial lights to get it going, resulting in a fairly dense ash cap. I'm sure there's a proper term for that, and my packing is probably just as much to blame as the tobacco itself. I gave it a few pokes and just barely stirred the top ash into the unlit tobacco below. After that it smoked just fine.

Flavor was super mellow compared to my fresh Nightcap. Not better or worse, but very different. It smoked for about 45 minutes before refusing to take a re-light and there was more dottle left over than usual. But again- probably my own fault.

I wonder if some of my trouble was because I've been smoking wetter stuff lately, and I need to treat the dryer tobacco different with regards to packing/lighting/tamping/stirring/ashing/smoking... I'll probably add a little moisture to some of it and see if that makes a difference.

Overall I'm very happy with this stuff, and I plan to make it last. It's just kind of cool to have a jar of tobacco that's over 10 years old.... Hmmm, that's around the age of my marriage... Maybe I'll keep this in reserve and smoke it at milestone anniversaries- that might be cool.

Sorry for the long winded write up, but I thought tersh would appreciate a full report since he practically gifted it to me.
I do appreciate it! Been away for a while, so didn't see the notification for the thread. Glad you enjoyed it!
And you're right about the white powder, almost certainly it's crystallized sugars that have crept out of the tobacco.

If you're planning on keeping it for a long while, probably best to pop it into a mason jar, with one of those ceramic tobacco humidifiers.

tersh

Post by tersh » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:26 pm

asd wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:59 am If there weren't any adverse side-effects, I'd like to smoke tobacco. I think it would be nice with espresso sometimes.

@tersh u smoke BACKWOODS?? lmfao that is excellent
If you smoke tobacco infrequently, there's not a lot in the way of adverse effects, honestly. No more so than anything else one might want to do.
And yes, I do smoke Backwoods. Not the fruity ones, generally, but they're cheap, have decent flavor, and make for a reasonably quick social smoke.

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:41 am

@tersh yeah, it went straight into a mason jar.

I set aside about 1/4 of it in a different jar and stuck a few toothpicks in with a moistened folded paper towel on the toothpicks. Worked great.

tersh

Post by tersh » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:11 am

broseph wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:41 am @tersh yeah, it went straight into a mason jar.

I set aside about 1/4 of it in a different jar and stuck a few toothpicks in with a moistened folded paper towel on the toothpicks. Worked great.
Haha, a little toothpick canopy. That's amazing.

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:39 am

tersh wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:11 am
broseph wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:41 am @tersh yeah, it went straight into a mason jar.

So I ended up rehydrating the whole tin (jar) that way.

I also picked up a new Nording Signature Freehand which has the largest chamber of any pipe I own. I had a nice long smoke of the aged Nightcap in the virgin pipe and picked up a lot of subtle flavors. Cherry and spice and raisins- I would've thought these were ghost flavors from an aromatic if I didn't know the pipe was brand new. It was really cool.

tersh

Post by tersh » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:35 am

broseph wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:39 am
tersh wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:11 am

So I ended up rehydrating the whole tin (jar) that way.

I also picked up a new Nording Signature Freehand which has the largest chamber of any pipe I own. I had a nice long smoke of the aged Nightcap in the virgin pipe and picked up a lot of subtle flavors. Cherry and spice and raisins- I would've thought these were ghost flavors from an aromatic if I didn't know the pipe was brand new. It was really cool.
Sweet.
Yeah, that's why folks often devote a pipe to a particular type of smoke. Or even a particular blend.
Meerschaums and cobs are nice for that too.

AaronM
Pheasant

Post by AaronM » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:27 pm

I have a meersschaum and a clay pipe for testing new tobaccos. Then I have cobs and briars dedicated to burleys, virginia's, vapers (virginia periques), and english blends. I'd be smoking a lot more often if I didn't get home from work so late at night :-(

BassPlayer

Post by BassPlayer » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:40 pm

These are my regulars:
Gawith, Hoggarth - Bob's Chocolate Flake (hands down my favorite)
Mac Barren - Virginia Flake
McClelland - Frog Morton on the Town
DAN- Blue Note (For when non-smokers are going to be around)