Pipe and Tobacco Thread

Recipes and such

Moderator: d0uevenlift

broseph
High Fiber

Re: Pipe and Tobacco Thread

Post by broseph » Wed May 09, 2018 8:53 am

I limit myself to only 2 smokes per month (arbitrary number) for health reasons. And save up my summer smokes for fall, and my winter smokes for spring.

I've been a little stressed lately, and my awesome wife got me a cigar. I figured that could be outside my usual tobacco allowance ;)

AaronM
Pheasant

Post by AaronM » Wed May 09, 2018 10:12 am

broseph wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 8:53 am I limit myself to only 2 smokes per month (arbitrary number) for health reasons. And save up my summer smokes for fall, and my winter smokes for spring.

I've been a little stressed lately, and my awesome wife got me a cigar. I figured that could be outside my usual tobacco allowance ;)
Now that I'm working more hours, I may allow myself some cigar purchases again. My favorite budget-friendly cigar is Flor de Oliva, which from what I've heard, is the same thing as Oliva, but the folks that wrap them aren't the expert wrappers. $3-4 for a good smoke is hard to beat.

What do y'all drink with your tobacco? With burley pipe tobacco I like black coffee, which I otherwise never drink. With other tobaccos I like water or non-sweet tea. With cigars I like bourbon (Knob Creek, Buffalo Trace, etc).

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Wed May 09, 2018 10:47 am

AaronM wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 10:12 am Now that I'm working more hours, I may allow myself some cigar purchases again. My favorite budget-friendly cigar is Flor de Oliva, which from what I've heard, is the same thing as Oliva, but the folks that wrap them aren't the expert wrappers. $3-4 for a good smoke is hard to beat.
That’s funny. My go-to budget cigar is the Flor Fina from Arturo Fuente.
What do y'all drink with your tobacco? With burley pipe tobacco I like black coffee, which I otherwise never drink. With other tobaccos I like water or non-sweet tea. With cigars I like bourbon (Knob Creek, Buffalo Trace, etc).
I like tea with anything I smoke. Especially brewed hard with plenty of tannins. Whisky is always nice with a cigar.

I also like tart astringent fruit while I smoke- wild blackberries, strawberries, autumn olive, even crab apples, all from the backyard.

AaronM
Pheasant

Post by AaronM » Wed May 09, 2018 12:54 pm

broseph wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 10:47 am
AaronM wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 10:12 am Now that I'm working more hours, I may allow myself some cigar purchases again. My favorite budget-friendly cigar is Flor de Oliva, which from what I've heard, is the same thing as Oliva, but the folks that wrap them aren't the expert wrappers. $3-4 for a good smoke is hard to beat.
That’s funny. My go-to budget cigar is the Flor Fina from Arturo Fuente.
I like tea with anything I smoke. Especially brewed hard with plenty of tannins. Whisky is always nice with a cigar.

I also like tart astringent fruit while I smoke- wild blackberries, strawberries, autumn olive, even crab apples, all from the backyard.
I'll have to try out a Flor Fina sometime. I stopped trying out budget cigars after discovering Flor de Oliva :lol:

I also like squeezing lemon juice into my water while smoking. Helps reset my palate.

AaronM
Pheasant

Post by AaronM » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:39 am

We had a cool 75 degree evening so I enjoyed a Flor de Oliva last week with a little Wild Turkey. I think the cigar only cost $2.79 at Specs.

How much are Flor Fina's and where would I find them in the San Antonio area?

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:22 am

AaronM wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:39 am We had a cool 75 degree evening so I enjoyed a Flor de Oliva last week with a little Wild Turkey. I think the cigar only cost $2.79 at Specs.

I think I pay around $6 for the "Arturo Fuente Flor Fina 858." So double your Flor de Oliva's... I should be asking you where to buy.

Also, I just sat at down at the computer after having a pipe- Only had a pinch of Nightcap left, so I mixed it with Early Morning Pipe (both Dunhill). Now I need a new English blend.

AaronM
Pheasant

Post by AaronM » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:59 am

broseph wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:22 am
AaronM wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:39 am We had a cool 75 degree evening so I enjoyed a Flor de Oliva last week with a little Wild Turkey. I think the cigar only cost $2.79 at Specs.

I think I pay around $6 for the "Arturo Fuente Flor Fina 858." So double your Flor de Oliva's... I should be asking you where to buy.

Also, I just sat at down at the computer after having a pipe- Only had a pinch of Nightcap left, so I mixed it with Early Morning Pipe (both Dunhill). Now I need a new English blend.
Get Squadron Leader in a tin if you haven't tried it yet. Best english blend ever IMO.

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:04 am

Squadron Leader is currently sold out (just like every recommendation I've ever received for pipe tobacco).

The other day I got an email notification about a special edition of Squadron Leader with perique... It was sold out by the afternoon.

Chebass88
Big E

Post by Chebass88 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:20 am

This thread makes me miss smoking. I've only smoked once since last October. I stopped because I was smoking a little too often (3-5 pipes/week), and decided I need to take a break.

heyitsme

Post by heyitsme » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:54 am

Apparently managed to get my hands on a tin of Mac Baren HH Vintage Syrian just as they are now, it seems, running out of Syrian Latakia and introducing the HH Vintage Latakia (with Cyprian Latakia) to replace it... Anyone know how long it'll keep in the unopened tin or when is a good time to open it? I'm still not the most discerning smoker yet

AaronM
Pheasant

Post by AaronM » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:55 am

heyitsme wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:54 am Apparently managed to get my hands on a tin of Mac Baren HH Vintage Syrian just as they are now, it seems, running out of Syrian Latakia and introducing the HH Vintage Latakia (with Cyprian Latakia) to replace it... Anyone know how long it'll keep in the unopened tin or when is a good time to open it? I'm still not the most discerning smoker yet
I've only aged a few tins, but I've found that as long as the tin was properly sealed, you can keep tobacco tinned for a long while. Most I've aged anything is 6 years. Aging tobacco tends to mellow it out, and can make it sweeter. It's really all a matter of personal preference. I like my virginias aged, and blends with latakia fresh. I've had aged virginias get sugar crystals on them, which added an interesting flavor.

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:32 am

heyitsme wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:54 am Apparently managed to get my hands on a tin of Mac Baren HH Vintage Syrian just as they are now, it seems, running out of Syrian Latakia and introducing the HH Vintage Latakia (with Cyprian Latakia) to replace it... Anyone know how long it'll keep in the unopened tin or when is a good time to open it? I'm still not the most discerning smoker yet
I bought two pounds of the Vintage Syrian a couple of years ago...if it dries out, just dampen a little folded piece of paper towel and stick that in the can. Should be fine for a very, very long time.

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:33 am

Chebass88 wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:20 am This thread makes me miss smoking. I've only smoked once since last October. I stopped because I was smoking a little too often (3-5 pipes/week), and decided I need to take a break.
I stopped altogether about 18 months ago (I keep thinking about selling everything off). But - yeah - I miss it.

AaronM
Pheasant

Post by AaronM » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:38 am

Hanley wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:33 am
Chebass88 wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:20 am This thread makes me miss smoking. I've only smoked once since last October. I stopped because I was smoking a little too often (3-5 pipes/week), and decided I need to take a break.
I stopped altogether about 18 months ago (I keep thinking about selling everything off). But - yeah - I miss it.
If you do sell it all, look up 'pipestud' on ebay. He's been selling pipes and tobacco tins on ebay for years, is easy to work with, and has a large customer base.

heyitsme

Post by heyitsme » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:46 am

AaronM wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:55 am I've only aged a few tins, but I've found that as long as the tin was properly sealed, you can keep tobacco tinned for a long while. Most I've aged anything is 6 years. Aging tobacco tends to mellow it out, and can make it sweeter. It's really all a matter of personal preference. I like my virginias aged, and blends with latakia fresh. I've had aged virginias get sugar crystals on them, which added an interesting flavor.
Hanley wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:32 am I bought two pounds of the Vintage Syrian a couple of years ago...if it dries out, just dampen a little folded piece of paper towel and stick that in the can. Should be fine for a very, very long time.
Appreciate the advice gentlemen. I've been thinking in getting some aged Virginia to see how it is.
Hanley wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:33 am I stopped altogether about 18 months ago (I keep thinking about selling everything off). But - yeah - I miss it.

If I wasn't across the pond, I'd definitely be interested in buying...

nitrox0400

Post by nitrox0400 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:14 am

Hanley wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:33 am
I would be interested in your Dunhill, but most interested if you still have any Compton's of Galashiels.

I found out McClelland's stopped blending while trying to order more Classic Samsun. Bummer.

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:15 am

nitrox0400 wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:14 ambut most interested if you still have any Compton's of Galashiels.
Oh...I've got a lot. Not sure I can let that go though. So good.

nitrox0400

Post by nitrox0400 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:18 am

Hanley wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:15 am
nitrox0400 wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:14 ambut most interested if you still have any Compton's of Galashiels.
Oh...I've got a lot. Not sure I can let that go though. So good.
Understood.

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:43 am

@AaronM For Father's Day I bought myself some more educational pipe tobaccos... I think most of your recommendations were out of stock, so I went with the following:

*Carter Hall- You recommended this, and it seemed like a legacy drug store tobacco that everyone should try at least once.
*Cornell & Diehl, Haunted Bookshop- Burley with some Virginia and Perique.
*Peter Stockebye, Luxury Navy Flake- VaPer.
*To replace my Nightcap, I got some Squadron Leader and a bulk English from Stockebye; Proper English.

I also got a pack of seconds from MM for trying all the new stuff.

Package arrived yesterday, and the first I tried was the Navy Flake. It was a little hot outside, but this stuff was just fine with a glass of iced tea. This was also my first time with a flake and I folded it a little long for the cob bowl. I didn't bother trimming it, so it took a while to take a light, but it smoked for a very long time.

Seems like I love smoking an English blend for about half a bowl. Then I get sick of it, and the relights always have a harsh taste (probably just my technique). With the VaPer, I actually enjoyed the second half of the bowl more than the first, and relights tasted just fine. Definitely a keeper.

Hope no one minds my long winded new-kid reviews, but learning about this stuff is pretty fun.

AaronM
Pheasant

Post by AaronM » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:07 am

broseph wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:43 am @AaronM For Father's Day I bought myself some more educational pipe tobaccos... I think most of your recommendations were out of stock, so I went with the following:

*Carter Hall- You recommended this, and it seemed like a legacy drug store tobacco that everyone should try at least once.
*Cornell & Diehl, Haunted Bookshop- Burley with some Virginia and Perique.
*Peter Stockebye, Luxury Navy Flake- VaPer.
*To replace my Nightcap, I got some Squadron Leader and a bulk English from Stockebye; Proper English.

I also got a pack of seconds from MM for trying all the new stuff.

Package arrived yesterday, and the first I tried was the Navy Flake. It was a little hot outside, but this stuff was just fine with a glass of iced tea. This was also my first time with a flake and I folded it a little long for the cob bowl. I didn't bother trimming it, so it took a while to take a light, but it smoked for a very long time.

Seems like I love smoking an English blend for about half a bowl. Then I get sick of it, and the relights always have a harsh taste (probably just my technique). With the VaPer, I actually enjoyed the second half of the bowl more than the first, and relights tasted just fine. Definitely a keeper.

Hope no one minds my long winded new-kid reviews, but learning about this stuff is pretty fun.
Experimenting with new tobaccos and pipes is a lot of fun. Temperature, humidity, wind, what you're drinking, pipe material, bowl shape, wetness/dryness of tobacco, etc all play a part in your smoking experience. If you're struggling to light flake, I'd suggest finding the crumbs at the bottom of the tin, let them sit on a plate for an hour or so, and then put them on the top of your packed bowl. Sometimes I'll put some dry Carter Hall on the top of a wet virginia to help get it lit. I also enjoy filling the bottom of a bowl with carter hall, and the top with virginias, since VA's tend to get bitey at the bottom.