Whatever happened to made in Mexico?

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

quark

Re: Whatever happened to made in Mexico?

Post by quark » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:55 pm

cgeorg wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:52 pm
quark wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:05 pm Theft is an interesting word for actions in another country that are consistent with the laws of that country. If China made it a crime to compare its leader to Winnier the Pooh, should US persons be prosecuted if they did that?
That's what treaties are for, like the TPP (there was some bad DRM stuff in there but had IP protections)
If memeory serves, none of the US, China or anyone else is party to the TPP.

quark

Post by quark » Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:09 pm

aurelius wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:06 am
quark wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:05 pmTheft is an interesting word for actions in another country that are consistent with the laws of that country. If China made it a crime to compare its leader to Winnier the Pooh, should US persons be prosecuted if they did that?
theft is the action of stealing. Stealing means to take without permission or to pass of another's ideas as one's own. Yep, theft.

And China chose to join the WTO which has rules in place regarding IP. So I don't know why you are talking about Winnie the Pooh. And if it was up to China, yes. They would want people from all over the world extradited and punished for speaking out against them.
You can only steal something that is property. In the case of physical objects, that's rather clear. In the case of IP, it is not and is solely a matter of relevant policy, policy which differs in different jurisdictions.

The US and China have both filed WTO complaints https://www.cigionline.org/articles/und ... ted-states

quark

Post by quark » Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:11 pm

In any event, I'm less concerned with China than I am with the negative effects of US IP law. As I posted earlier http://cepr.net/images/stories/reports/ ... 017-07.pdf

cgeorg

Post by cgeorg » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:02 pm

quark wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:55 pm
cgeorg wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:52 pm
quark wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:05 pm Theft is an interesting word for actions in another country that are consistent with the laws of that country. If China made it a crime to compare its leader to Winnier the Pooh, should US persons be prosecuted if they did that?
That's what treaties are for, like the TPP (there was some bad DRM stuff in there but had IP protections)
If memeory serves, none of the US, China or anyone else is party to the TPP.
We were supposed to be, it does look like China was not. We backed out and the whole thing fell through.

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:41 am

quark wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:09 pmYou can only steal something that is property. In the case of physical objects, that's rather clear. In the case of IP, it is not and is solely a matter of relevant policy, policy which differs in different jurisdictions.
IP - intellectual property: It's got property in the name. I'm positive you can steal it.

You are right! IP theft is not as clear cut as mugging someone on the street. And?

"solely a matter of policy': everything is a only matter of policy/laws we as a society make up. It is all made up. Even the idea of property/ownership is made up. And?

You don't seem to have a coherent point. You just don't think IP theft is a big deal. My suggestion is to look at the modern science of economics and its study of the key institutions and the policies that have driven the greatest technological advancements and wealth generation in recorded human history.

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:43 am

cgeorg wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:02 pmWe were supposed to be, it does look like China was not. We backed out and the whole thing fell through.
The TPP (which had its flaws) was meant to be a backstop against China. To develop and ensure logistic and supply chains with our allies in that region of the world that did not rely on China.

JonA

Post by JonA » Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:57 am

quark wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:09 pm You can only steal something that is property. In the case of physical objects, that's rather clear. In the case of IP, it is not and is solely a matter of relevant policy, policy which differs in different jurisdictions.
Do you own the numbers 1-9? No? Then I'm just going to swap them with 0's in computer system for your bank account. Don't worry, no theft of physical property is happening.

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:13 am

JonA wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:57 amDo you own the numbers 1-9? No? Then I'm just going to swap them with 0's in computer system for your bank account. Don't worry, no theft of physical property is happening.

*Fibbing on myself: I did not read sarcasm in your comment at first.

JonA

Post by JonA » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:29 am

aurelius wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:13 am *Fibbing on myself: I did not read sarcasm in your comment at first.
Yeah, I needed about 13 /s's on that.

The universal truth about people who argue against IP is that they are advocating against *other* peoples IP, which they want to use freely. When it comes to their own IP, such as pictures, videos, ideas, written works, software, social media posts, profiles, browsing history, personal information, purchase history, bank and finance information, etc, they suddenly get all up tight.

DoctorWho

Post by DoctorWho » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:54 am

quark wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:09 pm
aurelius wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:06 am
quark wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:05 pmTheft is an interesting word for actions in another country that are consistent with the laws of that country. If China made it a crime to compare its leader to Winnier the Pooh, should US persons be prosecuted if they did that?
theft is the action of stealing. Stealing means to take without permission or to pass of another's ideas as one's own. Yep, theft.

And China chose to join the WTO which has rules in place regarding IP. So I don't know why you are talking about Winnie the Pooh. And if it was up to China, yes. They would want people from all over the world extradited and punished for speaking out against them.
You can only steal something that is property. In the case of physical objects, that's rather clear. In the case of IP, it is not and is solely a matter of relevant policy, policy which differs in different jurisdictions.

The US and China have both filed WTO complaints https://www.cigionline.org/articles/und ... ted-states
China signed the TRIPS agreement in order to get into the WTO. TRIPS mandates minimum IP protections, so it's not true that the policies differ between the US and China. It's not just that China's court system usually isn't up to the task, but that STATE-SPONSORED IP theft happens, like when the state owns a significant portion of the company.

Culican

Post by Culican » Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:08 pm

deleted

Didn't realize how old the post I replied to was.

alek

Post by alek » Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:25 pm

Culican wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:08 pm deleted

Didn't realize how old the post I replied to was.
That's why they call me The Necromancer!!1!

ccoyle

Post by ccoyle » Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:44 am

Culican wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:38 pm
I had a Volkswagen diesel made in Mexico (engine made in Germany). Great car. Design work was done in Germany of course. Including the programming of the ECU, which worked just like VW designed it, low emissions during the EPA test and mega-emissions on the highway.
Same experience here with a very nice pair of made-in-Mexico boots from Thursday Boot Company. Quality blew me away for the $200 price.

alek

Post by alek » Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:51 am

ccoyle wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:44 am
I had a Volkswagen diesel made in Mexico (engine made in Germany). Great car. Design work was done in Germany of course. Including the programming of the ECU, which worked just like VW designed it, low emissions during the EPA test and mega-emissions on the highway.
Same experience here with a very nice pair of made-in-Mexico boots from Thursday Boot Company. Quality blew me away for the $200 price.
How long have you had those boots? I remember once upon a time looking into them since they were much cheaper than AE. Then I think Covid happened, and I lost interest.

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:17 am

Fender is producing some very nice guitars out of Mexico. Like really nice. Player plus series. Absolutely fantastic quality and playability.

They hold their own against anything out there.

DoctorWho

Post by DoctorWho » Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:25 am

Automation.

hsilman
✓ Registered User

Post by hsilman » Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:05 am

alek wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:51 am How long have you had those boots? I remember once upon a time looking into them since they were much cheaper than AE. Then I think Covid happened, and I lost interest.
I have a pair of these that I wear daily in 3 seasons. They are holding up just fine after a little over a year. Normal scuffs and discoloration from wearing them when there's a bunch of snow and salt down. I can probably get rid of all of the marks if I took the time.

Some fraying of the tongue at the top, no wear on the eyelets or sole. I will continue to buy them because I originally bought a pair when they donated hundreds to our shelter. Good company.
Oldandfat wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:17 am Fender is producing some very nice guitars out of Mexico. Like really nice. Player plus series. Absolutely fantastic quality and playability.

They hold their own against anything out there.
Mexican fenders have been the gold standard of price to performance ratio for as long as I can remember.

alek

Post by alek » Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:14 am

hsilman wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:05 am
alek wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:51 am How long have you had those boots? I remember once upon a time looking into them since they were much cheaper than AE. Then I think Covid happened, and I lost interest.
I have a pair of these that I wear daily in 3 seasons. They are holding up just fine after a little over a year. Normal scuffs and discoloration from wearing them when there's a bunch of snow and salt down. I can probably get rid of all of the marks if I took the time.

Some fraying of the tongue at the top, no wear on the eyelets or sole. I will continue to buy them because I originally bought a pair when they donated hundreds to our shelter. Good company.
Cool. Thanks!!

DoctorWho

Post by DoctorWho » Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:50 am

Seems like a good time to mention that US manufacturing output (as distinguished from manufacturing jobs) has been doing OK -- things that can be highly automated or hard to ship.
https://www.macrotrends.net/countries/U ... ing-output

ccoyle

Post by ccoyle » Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:22 pm

alek wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:51 am
ccoyle wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:44 am
How long have you had those boots? I remember once upon a time looking into them since they were much cheaper than AE. Then I think Covid happened, and I lost interest.
About six months of wearing them 2 to 3 days a week, around the house and urban walking. No hiking or climbing. Took a little (not a lot) of breaking in, but now very comfortable. A value for $199. EDIT: Diplomat model