Let's go to war or not: Iran Edition

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

Should the US get directly involved in the Iranian and Saudi Arabian Conflict?

Yes: Send the poor kids over there.
15%
'Merica: Talk real big then pass more sanctions against Iran that have been ineffective for 30 years.
24%
No: Do nothing and say we didn't.
61%

Total votes: 54

DoctorWho

Re: Let's go to war or not: Iran Edition

Post by DoctorWho » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:27 am

Idlehands wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:48 pm
DoctorWho wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:46 am
Mkgillman wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:34 pm
DoctorWho wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:50 am
I didn't know there was a such a thing as Ibadi. They must not be very good at chopping off heads and blowing themselves up.

(not a criticism!)
Does it take effort on your part to be this obtuse or is it as natural as breathing?
I've heard that there are some people who don't have a sense of humor, but I rarely encounter them.

But maybe I'm being unfair to you. You might just be seeking superficial approval from anonymous people on the internet so much that it just appears to be brittleness and lack of humor.
I always laugh when I hang with Gillman, and I've never heard him be racist or bigoted, or brittle, fucker is a cube lately.
Please tell me more about how being insulting, dismissive and myopic equates to "no sense of humor" "can't you take a joke"
I never charged him with bigotry or racism, or being dismissive or myopic.

Idlehands
Sunshine + Unicorns

Post by Idlehands » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:45 am

DoctorWho wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:27 am
I didn't know there was a such a thing as Ibadi. They must not be very good at chopping off heads and blowing themselves up.

(not a criticism!)
Does it take effort on your part to be this obtuse or is it as natural as breathing?
I've heard that there are some people who don't have a sense of humor, but I rarely encounter them.

But maybe I'm being unfair to you. You might just be seeking superficial approval from anonymous people on the internet so much that it just appears to be brittleness and lack of humor.
I always laugh when I hang with Gillman, and I've never heard him be racist or bigoted, or brittle, fucker is a cube lately.
Please tell me more about how being insulting, dismissive and myopic equates to "no sense of humor" "can't you take a joke"
that was more your qualifier. How you can be all of those things but hey, it's ok if you say it's a "joke" and people don't get it cause they are the brittle ones.
Though explaining that to you seems absurd.

conway

Post by conway » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:31 am

Wow, Trump lucked out with Iran tripping over it's own dick and turning the narrative against them. Explains why they backed down so quick.

neandrewthal

Post by neandrewthal » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:42 am

conway wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:31 am Wow, Trump lucked out with Iran tripping over it's own dick and turning the narrative against them. Explains why they backed down so quick.
Don't you mean genius 4d chess :lol:

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:36 pm

conway wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:31 am Wow, Trump lucked out with Iran tripping over it's own dick and turning the narrative against them. Explains why they backed down so quick.
AND that plane was full of Iranians. Causing another round of protests against the current leadership.

“I’d rather be lucky than good.” -sports cliche

Bcharles123

Post by Bcharles123 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:44 am

aurelius wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:36 pm
AND that plane was full of Iranians. Causing another round of protests against the current leadership.

“I’d rather be lucky than good.” -sports cliche
Good detailed summary of events.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/11/us/p ... -ios-share

Good insight into the actual complexity of the situation and the context for the decision. Very stark contrast to the mainstream thinking that this was the worst policy decision in decades and that it is temporarily resolved is simply luck.

JonA

Post by JonA » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:52 am

I'm curious to see how this affects Iran's propaganda, twitter feed, foreign policy, branding public statements long term. For the last 30 years, they've been saying it's impossible to accidentally shoot down a civilian airliner; any such act is clearly deliberate and intentional. It was a pretty central claim in their grievances against the US for a long time.

Obviously, the two don't cancel each other out, but I think they will try to steer the public discourse into the subtle nuances of how each country handled it's respective disaster.

Given that Iran recently arrested the British Ambassador under suspicion of instigating protesters, they are going to have a hard controlling the narrative.

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:59 pm

Bcharles123 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:44 amGood detailed summary of events.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/11/us/p ... -ios-share

Good insight into the actual complexity of the situation and the context for the decision. Very stark contrast to the mainstream thinking that this was the worst policy decision in decades and that it is temporarily resolved is simply luck.
The Iranian mistake of shooting down a civilian airliner almost certainly changed their response to this incident. That could not have been planned for in anyway by the Trump administration.

Can't read the article. Behind a paywall. I hope the gist of the article is correct and that this was a more well thought out decision than it appears to be. Because other foreign policy decisions like the Syrian surrender was sudden, against all advice, and not well thought out at all. Especially considering we are now sending back over the troops that were just removed from the area.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:07 am

How'd you like to be in the Iranian Armed forces?
Poorly trained, using other countries tech.... (russia).
Let a US drone thru your skynet? gonna get arrested.
Shoot down a civilian jet? gonna get arrested.
Don't join the military? gonna get arrested.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/01/ ... 25923.html

DoctorWho

Post by DoctorWho » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:04 am

Idlehands wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:45 am

(not a criticism!)

that was more your qualifier. How you can be all of those things but hey, it's ok if you say it's a "joke" and people don't get it cause they are the brittle ones.

Before this goes totally south, thank you for the info about running windows on a chromebook -- it's not for me right now but could really be useful in the future.

Now, since this is all about unsupported mind-reading, my hunch is that your friend is motivated by a personal dislike for me (more accurately, online me here), and he doesn't really care about my joke about sectarian violence in the ME. But if he, and you, want to conclude that I'm a bad person for a joke, I'm not stopping you.

And of the things in my comment, the thing that seems most objectively accurate is that he was easily offended, which is the meaning of "brittle" in this context. That just doesn't seem the right thing to pick out.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:50 am

DoctorWho wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:04 am And of the things in my comment, the thing that seems most objectively accurate is that he was easily offended, which is the meaning of "brittle" in this context. That just doesn't seem the right thing to pick out.
I suspect you don't know what the bolded words mean.

DoctorWho

Post by DoctorWho » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:47 pm

Allentown wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:50 am
DoctorWho wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:04 am And of the things in my comment, the thing that seems most objectively accurate is that he was easily offended, which is the meaning of "brittle" in this context. That just doesn't seem the right thing to pick out.
I suspect you don't know what the bolded words mean.
Since we are being literal, this is an example of the ES Rule that there is always an error in a post implying another post or person is not smart:

You read out the word "most" from the phrase "most objectively accurate". So your comment can only mean that my posts above must have other parts (that is, other than my comment that Gillman was unduly sensitive) that are more accurate.

Idlehands
Sunshine + Unicorns

Post by Idlehands » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:35 am

DoctorWho wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:04 am

(not a criticism!)

Before this goes totally south, thank you for the info about running windows on a chromebook -- it's not for me right now but could really be useful in the future.

Now, since this is all about unsupported mind-reading, my hunch is that your friend is motivated by a personal dislike for me (more accurately, online me here), and he doesn't really care about my joke about sectarian violence in the ME. But if he, and you, want to conclude that I'm a bad person for a joke, I'm not stopping you.

And of the things in my comment, the thing that seems most objectively accurate is that he was easily offended, which is the meaning of "brittle" in this context. That just doesn't seem the right thing to pick out.
Wow that's a lot of text. Can't you take a joke? Don't be so touchy feely and sensitive.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:29 am

mbasic wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:07 am How'd you like to be in the Iranian Armed forces?
Poorly trained, using other countries tech.... (russia).
Let a US drone thru your skynet? gonna get arrested.
Shoot down a civilian jet? gonna get arrested.
Don't join the military? gonna get arrested.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/01/ ... 25923.html
Now they have arrested the person who took the video* of the AA missiles being launched.
He's toast.

www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-51114945
Iranian media reported that Iran's elite Revolutionary Guards had taken a person who posted a video last week of the missile striking the plane into custody. But an Iranian journalist based in London who initially posted the footage has insisted that his source is safe, and that the Iranian authorities have arrested the wrong person

There's a few videos floating around IIRC.
The one in that ^ article looks different than the BW security cam that I saw.
So I don't see the point in doing persecuting these people other than: angry/revenge.

DoctorWho

Post by DoctorWho » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:16 am

Idlehands wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:35 am

(not a criticism!)

Wow that's a lot of text. Can't you take a joke? Don't be so touchy feely and sensitive.
Time for a quick recap:
1. Joke.
2. Gillman calls me obtuse.
3. I say or imply he's easily offended and lacks sense of humor.
4. You take offense (too easily, IMO) and then charge me with taking offense and having no sense of humor.

Irony overload.

In the spirit of reconcilliation, here is a joke:
How many gillmans & idlehands does it take to screw in a light bulb?
SpoilerShow
Gillman and Idlehands answer: Hey, that's not funny.

Idlehands
Sunshine + Unicorns

Post by Idlehands » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:25 am

DoctorWho wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:16 am

(not a criticism!)

Time for a quick recap:
1. Joke.
4. You take offense (too easily, IMO) and then charge me with taking offense and having no sense of humor.

Irony overload.

SpoilerShow
Just to be clear, you are saying having compassion and being touchy feely and understanding emotions and other peoples' point of view is bad?

DoctorWho

Post by DoctorWho » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:45 am

Idlehands wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:25 am

(not a criticism!)

Time for a quick recap:
1. Joke.

Irony overload.

SpoilerShow
Just to be clear, you are saying having compassion and being touchy feely and understanding emotions and other peoples' point of view is bad?
You're an idiot for this comment.

Now, that ^ is not true and I don't think it, for my hypothetical comment or otherwise. But if I would take your well-meaning comment wrong, and call you a name bc of it, you would be justified in calling me overly sensitive. Because I would be.

And note my comment about the religious group was complimentary that started this all was a compliment.
ISIS chops off heads and blows people up. You and I are against that. So my comment that the religious group is "not good at" terrorism, and that's the reason I haven't heard of them, was complimenting the group peacefulness and poking fun at my own ignorance. Kind of the opposite of your cuboid friend's charge.

My point is that there are always two sides of a story, so I tried to explain mine.

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:23 am

Idlehands wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:25 am Just to be clear, you are saying having compassion and being touchy feely and understanding emotions and other peoples' point of view is bad?
You seem to really be wanting to make something out of nothing.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:36 am

Idlehands wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:25 am

(not a criticism!)

Time for a quick recap:
1. Joke.

Irony overload.

SpoilerShow
...a couple more <REPLY TO QUOTE>s here I'm pretty sure we're gonna break the forum software.

But seriously, far be it from me to be any kind of PC-moral-compus or whatever...but Dr.Who, your original comment comes across as, "but yer one na gud ones".

BostonRugger
Edging Lord

Post by BostonRugger » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:13 pm

Yeah, @DoctorWho your joke failed the “is it funny?” test for acceptability of racial/ethnic/religious/protected-class humor. Didn’t quite hit the right note. You’ll get em next time, champ.