Oh the places you'll bro! (Tales of Gym Glory)

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

mbasic

Re: Oh the places you'll bro! (Tales of Gym Glory)

Post by mbasic » Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:30 am

This story has it all:

Hip thrusts, extra points awarded for being performed on a Smith Machine.

She called him "bro".

Crocks.

Dude should be executed....

DCR

Post by DCR » Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:05 pm

Saw some squats being done with bands. With 205. A foot high. Fist bumps all around.

Honestly lifting at this commercial spot I could post in this thread every day.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:56 pm

DCR wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:05 pm Saw some squats being done with bands. With 205. A foot high. Fist bumps all around.

1/4 squats with 205 kg and band resistance ain't THAT bad dude !

DCR

Post by DCR » Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:11 am

mbasic wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:56 pm
DCR wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:05 pm Saw some squats being done with bands. With 205. A foot high. Fist bumps all around.

1/4 squats with 205 kg and band resistance ain't THAT bad dude !
Ha, that took me a sec.

hector

Post by hector » Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:37 am

Years ago, before Covid, at a commercial gym (with zero power lifters) I saw a guy bring his own barbell. Looked like a custom, red, rogue Ohio bar.
I saw him again at a squat rack.
He had set up bands on the top of the squat rack, connected to the barbell.
He was squatting 135, I guess less at the bottom?
I’m not going to pretend to understand the complexities of his training, but it looked like a lot of work to set up.

DCR

Post by DCR » Tue Apr 04, 2023 3:43 pm

hector wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:37 am Years ago, before Covid, at a commercial gym (with zero power lifters) I saw a guy bring his own barbell. Looked like a custom, red, rogue Ohio bar.
I saw him again at a squat rack.
He had set up bands on the top of the squat rack, connected to the barbell.
He was squatting 135, I guess less at the bottom?
I’m not going to pretend to understand the complexities of his training, but it looked like a lot of work to set up.
I used to lift at a small powerliftery gym on Long Island where a dude did something similar - had his own bar but, rather than bring it with him, he kept it there with a lock on it. Wasn’t anywhere near strong enough to justify it.

DCR

Post by DCR » Tue May 23, 2023 5:10 am

Yesterday: Three slugs deep in conversation about their distrust of birth control, theory being that while sure the stuff keeps one from getting pregnant, who knows what else it may do to women’s bodies over the long term? Put aside that the stuff wasn’t invented yesterday and that we actually have the answers to that inquiry. The real kicker was that all three of them were geared to the gills, the loudest talker effectively being a living cartoon character. Zero self-awareness.

hector

Post by hector » Sat May 27, 2023 5:59 pm

DCR wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 5:10 am Yesterday: Three slugs deep in conversation about their distrust of birth control, theory being that while sure the stuff keeps one from getting pregnant, who knows what else it may do to women’s bodies over the long term? Put aside that the stuff wasn’t invented yesterday and that we actually have the answers to that inquiry. The real kicker was that all three of them were geared to the gills, the loudest talker effectively being a living cartoon character. Zero self-awareness.
Kind of random, but the history of the modern birth control pill is insane. The drug companies tested it on Puerto Ricans, who were sort of American at the time, but didn’t have the legal protections that mainland citizens enjoyed.
The women were phenomenally abused, given several times the safe dosage, and kept on the drugs like lab rats. None of the modern rules about ethics when dealing with human subjects applied. Story is in a great (albeit left leaning) history of marginalized Americans called “How to Hide an Empire” by Daniel Immerwhar.

CheekiBreekiFitness

Post by CheekiBreekiFitness » Mon May 29, 2023 12:29 am

DCR wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 5:10 am Yesterday: Three slugs deep in conversation about their distrust of birth control, theory being that while sure the stuff keeps one from getting pregnant, who knows what else it may do to women’s bodies over the long term? Put aside that the stuff wasn’t invented yesterday and that we actually have the answers to that inquiry. The real kicker was that all three of them were geared to the gills, the loudest talker effectively being a living cartoon character. Zero self-awareness.
Reminds me of the covid period, where some juicers were also antivaxers. The irony was lost on them, somehow.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Mon May 29, 2023 6:31 pm

hector wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 5:59 pm
Kind of random, but the history of the modern birth control pill is insane. The drug companies tested it on Puerto Ricans, who were sort of American at the time, but didn’t have the legal protections that mainland citizens enjoyed.
The spoils of becoming an American subject by force, I guess. Citizenship isn't immediately bestowed upon conquered peoples, and it's usually a little spurious even after it's been bestowed.

Medical Apartheid by Harriet Washington is another good read in a similar vein.

hector

Post by hector » Mon May 29, 2023 6:40 pm

Renascent wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 6:31 pm
hector wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 5:59 pm
The spoils of becoming an American subject by force, I guess. Citizenship isn't immediately bestowed upon conquered peoples, and it's usually a little spurious even after it's been bestowed.

Medical Apartheid by Harriet Washington is another good read in a similar vein.
I’ll check it out! Thank you.

DCR

Post by DCR » Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:50 pm

Last night while procrastinating I began reading this thread from the beginning. 10/10 entertainment. I could add to it every gym day, and I might just.

Today saw a dude quarter sumo squatting 515. Unremarkable occurrence. What I can never understand, though, is the willful blindness. Dude next to this guy was hitting some perfect triples with 365. Jacked. Tree trunks for legs. So number one, how do you not acknowledge that your form looks nothing at all like this his? You can clearly see him getting three feet lower. Number two, does it not strike you as odd that you with your dad bod somehow are squatting 150 lbs more than Hercules? Might there be some reason for that?

Separately, we’ve got a Three Percenter, which I know from the stickers on his big tough truck. Knew it was him even before I saw him actually get into the vehicle one day, due to the standard ratty beard down to his belly button. Guy is weak af and is the only person in the gym who wears gloves. Not even the 80s shits that covered the palms but left the fingers mostly free, but full gloves. Does preparing to fight off the black helicopters require smooth and silky hands?

DCR

Post by DCR » Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:04 am

Lifting this from my group chat with some lifting buddies. Was a few weeks ago and had some prior backstory, but worthy:

The trainer who has his clients do half squats while he does full squats is here, seeking attention like I’ve never seen. Doing single front squat into overhead presses, slamming each one back into the rack. For 10 minutes. Slam slam slam slam… And the racks all are connected by beams, so in doing this, he is shaking everyone’s rack. After every rep, he grunts, emotes, says, “Yeaaaah buddy” (fucking guy maybe weighs 170 at 5’9, Ronnie Coleman he is not), and, the absolute worst, actually does the fucking Steph Curry shimmy as he approaches the bar each time.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:25 am

DCR wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:50 pmDoes preparing to fight off the black helicopters require smooth and silky hands?
Thank you for this.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Fri Aug 04, 2023 3:11 pm

checkerplayer1 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:50 pmDoes preparing to fight off the black helicopters require smooth and silky hands?
checkerplayer2 wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:25 am Thank you for this.
.... its pretty obvious (to me) the Patriot worried about fighting off black stealth helicopters also doesn't want to leave his finger prints and DNA all over place just willy-nilly for the Dark State to scoop up use against him later on.

DCR

Post by DCR » Fri Aug 04, 2023 5:24 pm

mbasic wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 3:11 pm
checkerplayer1 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:50 pmDoes preparing to fight off the black helicopters require smooth and silky hands?
checkerplayer2 wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:25 am Thank you for this.
.... its pretty obvious (to me) the Patriot worried about fighting off black stealth helicopters also doesn't want to leave his finger prints and DNA all over place just willy-nilly for the Dark State to scoop up use against him later on.
* Nodding *

I was behind him at the drive thru donut spot last week. (Shut up.) Didn’t notice whether he reached for his bag with the glove. Probably. They’re everywhere.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Sat Aug 05, 2023 7:19 am

....Long beard is to throw off facial recognition software/AI.

KyleSchuant
Take It Easy

Post by KyleSchuant » Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:13 pm

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:46 am

KyleSchuant wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:13 pm
There's a whole series on these .... actor X getting ready for a roll in movie Y.

In Bre's case, what does it matter, if they are just wearing superhero suits with fake muscle padding sewn in.

Funny that the guy superheros still have to get jacked any way possible (workout 12x/week, crash diet, steroids,etc), because there will be scenes with there shirts off, or in plain clothes. Yeah, capt.Merica and SuperPerson wear's the foam padded suit with built in six pack....but other scenes of him he's got to have muscles. Sure spiderman gets his strength from his insect DNA muscles, and flash is just fast, Ironman has to be a wimp by nature of the Ironman suit thing..... but in general, if a male superhero has 'great strength' as one of his superpowers, he generally has to look somewhat (or very) jacked.

Has there ever been a (movie)superhero woman that was jacked?
I remember as a 12 year old being fascinated with how female bodies were portrayed in comics? Nice muscular legs with feminine outer sweep to thighs, etc. Maybe I'm misremembering ....

Modern day:
Captain Marvel looks a 13 y.o. boy.
Black window? meh. I guess she's ok, but not jacked .... she's just short so she has plump rump.
The recent iteration of Wonder Woman? very bleh if you ask me.
In deadpool they got that one washed up girl from the MMA, but face it, she's fat.
"I find this hard to fap to"

Anyway, back to the point. The guys get pressured into doing steroids / TRT ++++++ .... female actresses just have to stay skinny.

So my question: HAS THERE EVER BEEN A TRULY MUSCLAR SUPERHERO WOMAN.

(in one of the Conans back to 1986, wasn't Arnies love interest jacked)
EDIT: nope, she was just a dancer of somekind with a mannish face.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:29 am

mbasic wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:46 am
KyleSchuant wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:13 pm
There's a whole series on these .... actor X getting ready for a roll in movie Y.

In Bre's case, what does it matter, if they are just wearing superhero suits with fake muscle padding sewn in.

Funny that the guy superheros still have to get jacked any way possible (workout 12x/week, crash diet, steroids,etc), because there will be scenes with there shirts off, or in plain clothes. Yeah, capt.Merica and SuperPerson wear's the foam padded suit with built in six pack....but other scenes of him he's got to have muscles. Sure spiderman gets his strength from his insect DNA muscles, and flash is just fast, Ironman has to be a wimp by nature of the Ironman suit thing..... but in general, if a male superhero has 'great strength' as one of his superpowers, he generally has to look somewhat (or very) jacked.

Has there ever been a (movie)superhero woman that was jacked?
I remember as a 12 year old being fascinated with how female bodies were portrayed in comics? Nice muscular legs with feminine outer sweep to thighs, etc. Maybe I'm misremembering ....

Modern day:
Captain Marvel looks a 13 y.o. boy.
Black window? meh. I guess she's ok, but not jacked .... she's just short so she has plump rump.
The recent iteration of Wonder Woman? very bleh if you ask me.
In deadpool they got that one washed up girl from the MMA, but face it, she's fat.
"I find this hard to fap to"

Anyway, back to the point. The guys get pressured into doing steroids / TRT ++++++ .... female actresses just have to stay skinny.

So my question: HAS THERE EVER BEEN A TRULY MUSCLAR SUPERHERO WOMAN.

(in one of the Conans back to 1986, wasn't Arnies love interest jacked)
EDIT: nope, she was just a dancer of somekind with a mannish face.
Red Sonja? I can't remember.