NFL Chatter

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

murphyreedus

Re: NFL Chatter

Post by murphyreedus » Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:23 am

mouse wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:29 am What a ride so far and the craziest part is just starting...
I didn't sit and watch the whole thing, but every time I came back to the Bills/Dolphins game it looked stressful, heh. At least you knew they were already in the playoffs regardless of the outcome.

Not holding my breath that the Packers will get past the Cowboys (I'll be happy if they're at least competitive), but it's nice to watch meaningful football in January. Love has been excellent the last few games, and at the very least it's safe to say that the Packers have their QB for next year.

I can't judge the Packers' D based on performances against the Bears and the Vikings 3rd/4th stringer QBs. If they can look decent against Dak and Lamb, then I'll start worrying that Joe Barry is saving his job.

Rams/Lions is setting up for the ultimate monkey's paw game with Stafford having the chance to win a playoff game in Detroit.

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:42 am

It has been a weird season but overall successful. Having all division games on the 18th week was a smart move. We ended up with a compelling playoff field and matchups. Looking forward to some good games.

Now the NFL needs to fix the refs.

DCR

Post by DCR » Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:19 am

cgeorg wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:37 am
mouse wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:29 am What a ride so far and the craziest part is just starting...
uggghh, TJ Watt. Good luck next weekend. We'll see if our red-nosed 3rd stringer can keep glowing.
+1, although my "good luck" is begrudging.

Separately, that the Saturday night game will be available only on Peacock outside of local markets is utter bullshit. No one made much of a stink when Amazon got the shitty regular season Thursday night games, but now we see the inevitable bottom of the slippery slope.

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:52 am

DCR wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:19 am+1, although my "good luck" is begrudging.

Separately, that the Saturday night game will be available only on Peacock outside of local markets is utter bullshit. No one made much of a stink when Amazon got the shitty regular season Thursday night games, but now we see the inevitable bottom of the slippery slope.
Remember when there was one streaming service and it was better than Cable. The 2010's were awesome.

mouse

Post by mouse » Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:00 pm

murphyreedus wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:23 am
I didn't sit and watch the whole thing, but every time I came back to the Bills/Dolphins game it looked stressful, heh. At least you knew they were already in the playoffs regardless of the outcome.
True and I was greatful to the Titans for it... maybe I'm looking back with rose colored glasses but the second half was less stressful thanks to that huge punt return TD and being able to visibly see when Tua begins to fall apart in desperation...

If that was a Mahomes/Burrow/Etc that's when my stress levels go through the rough, those final few minutes where we have a lead but I now they're about to dial it in and do something horrible... Tua can't do that lol...

DCR

Post by DCR » Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:04 pm

mouse wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:00 pm
True and I was greatful to the Titans for it... maybe I'm looking back with rose colored glasses but the second half was less stressful thanks to that huge punt return TD and being able to visibly see when Tua begins to fall apart in desperation...

If that was a Mahomes/Burrow/Etc that's when my stress levels go through the rough, those final few minutes where we have a lead but I now they're about to dial it in and do something horrible... Tua can't do that lol...
U r so right.

mouse

Post by mouse » Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:18 pm

DCR wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:04 pm

U r so right.
Wow my auto correct really boned me a couple times in that post.

DCR

Post by DCR » Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:31 pm

mouse wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:18 pm
DCR wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:04 pm

U r so right.
Wow my auto correct really boned me a couple times in that post.
Ha, I didn’t notice that, truly was just agreeing, albeit in sports fan comments speak.

BostonRugger
Edging Lord

Post by BostonRugger » Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:57 am

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/392 ... ources-say
Bill Belichick and the New England Patriots are expected to part ways Thursday after a remarkable 24 seasons together, ending an unmatched run in NFL history that included six Super Bowl titles, league sources told ESPN.

Belichick and Patriots owner Robert Kraft spent a good part of this week periodically meeting and discussing how each side wanted to proceed. From sources familiar with those conversations, there was said to be no conflict, no disagreement, and in the end, productive talks resulted in a mutual decision that left both sides comfortable and at ease.

Both Belichick and Kraft, as one outside party noted, "took the high road," which was fitting for an owner-coach tandem that will go down as one of the greatest and most decorated in NFL history.

Belichick, who had one year remaining on his contract, will be allowed to leave the team without the Patriots seeking compensation. He will want to continue coaching and is expected to draw interest from at least some of the other seven NFL teams that have head-coaching vacancies, quite possibly the Atlanta Falcons, league sources said.
Memories
Light the corners of my mind
Misty watercolor memories
Of the way we were

Scattered pictures
Of the smiles we left behind
Smiles we gave to one another
For the way we were

Can it be that it was all so simple then?
Or has time re-written every line?
If we had the chance to do it all again
Tell me, would we?
Could we?

Memories
May be beautiful and yet
What's too painful to remember
We simply to choose to forget

So it's the laughter
We will remember
Whenever we remember
The way we were
The way we were

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:09 am

Both Belichick and Kraft, as one outside party noted, "took the high road," which was fitting for an owner-coach tandem that will go down as one of the greatest and most decorated in NFL history.
Good to hear that Belichick let Kraft have a happy ending.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:43 pm

Saban thing is funny to think about.

I'm sure he'll just fully retire. But I am sure if he hadn't had that one experience with the Dolphins, he might try to coach NFL.
(i.e. he has egg on his face, and he doesn't need the money or anything)

Like he thought the NFL was cool and all so takes the Miami job, until free agency, and the players have a lot of power (unlike college AT THE TIME),
....also, the competition is insane compared to college (at the the time). I'm not he can 'coach' NFL personalities.
So back to college he went. "Fuck the NFL man". And with his initial success at Alabama, I don't reeeeaaalllly think he had to do all that much recruiting and ass kissing. But now? oh man. The NIL and transfer portal thing is a mess. So back to college being a shit show and the NFL not looking so bad. At least in the Pros ...sure everyone moves around a lot, but at least they have to sign contracts (albeit short ones) and
stick by those for the most part. But there again, I don't think he's going to do it twice (an nfl stint)

I think these top end college coaches will abandon college, or, better said .... the college scene is now SOLEY a stepping stone
to get into the NFL. No one is going to want to stay coaching college for a long period if they have the choice.

----------------------------------

Harbaugh? sure, he is feelin' fine right now having just won a championship and all so wouldn't be surprised if he hangs around a year or two. Had he lost that final game, I'm sure he would be back in the NFL taking one of these openings.

----------------------------------

Belichick? He's old, but maybe he's got something the prove still. But if I were him I'd retire.

-----------------------------------

Carol. fuck he's old as fuck. Just retire already.
I don't why some people were making that out to be a big shocker.
The whole geno smith thing / this year was just a result of the left over garage when wilson left....
....a cobbled together thing to just muddle thru a season (almost worked ...sorta)
time to rebuild from the ground up. top down or whatever

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:56 pm

Harbaugh 95% bolts to the NFL. He isn't looking to build a Saban resume in college. He wants a Super Bowl.*

Belichick 95% will be coaching somewhere in the NFL next year.*

Carol will be a football advisor to the Seahawks.

*I think both will want control of personnel. I think there are NFL owners that will give it to them.

mouse

Post by mouse » Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:11 pm

DCR wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:31 pm Ha, I didn’t notice that, truly was just agreeing, albeit in sports fan comments speak.
Oh not like I thought your response was mocking or anything, I just re-read mine and can't believe I missed some of those...

I'm so glad to see the Patriots in this state after what was essentially a lifetime of living under their tyranny.

Belichick going to another team is higher than 95% in my opinion, but he should learn from his golden boy and retire now and for real.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:04 am

Yeah Saban learning from Belichick’s demise was smart.

Recently I’ve noticed a lot of ex-pros landing in pretty high paying HS jobs and just staying there. That’s wild to me, but seeing how shit coaching has become at these elite levels, at least as a HS coach you might have a little more control over a program?

Weird times.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:26 am

mgil wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:04 am Yeah Saban learning from Belichick’s demise was smart.

Recently I’ve noticed a lot of ex-pros landing in pretty high paying HS jobs and just staying there. That’s wild to me, but seeing how shit coaching has become at these elite levels, at least as a HS coach you might have a little more control over a program?

Weird times.
Its spilling down into HS though.

NOW, since NIL and "the portal", HS kids think if they posture themselves accordingly to take advantage....get the inside lane going into college. Before is was about scholarships, the last year or so the ante seems to have gone up or whatever.

IOW, we have kids transferring high-schools right and left in my state. We have what called 'open enrollment'. You can go to any school, home district doesn't matter .... as long as the receiving school has "room" to take you. The high-school athletic-board only makes them ineligible for half the regular season games. They apply for exemption for that at times: "mom took a job on the other side of town". "my home district school doesn't have a STEM program". Or some other fake rationale for the transfer, so they get to play the full year.

Kids buddy-up to. Recently a starting QB and WR from once school, both transferred to the same school. Last year there was a few big combos of 5 to 6 kids all leaving once place going to another.

There has been a whole rash of HS sophomores and juniors making twitter announcements like lebron: "I have decided to take my talents too [XYZ]" ...or similar language. I shit you not. Coaches and HS FB fans have joked the HS Transfer Portal opening is right around Xmas break (this is after 1st semister is done), and closes once school is back in session. Kids will transfer to mid year, makes sense class-wise, and then they quick intergrate into spring football and 7v7 Season with the new team. Even though they will be required to miss games next year, they can mesh into the team, learn of the off/def schemes, etc. The next "portal opening" (joking again, but not joking) is after spring fball training, is done/early summer of course when daddy-ballers announce their son's "wasn't used correctly" or "slept on"....and then transfer accordingly.

Another point: The better high school coaches in our area, are/were .... lifetime highschool coaches....maybe they played A LITTLE in college.
Typically, the ex-NFL guys are normally trash. I don't think they can relate.

Another downside here is legally dealing with minors.

This year we have had about 40 HS FB HCs quit already ..... there will likely be about 30 more if I had to guess.
Its only the beginning of January.
There are only 242 HS FB programs in my state.
It might be a record year ...like 25% turnover or more.
Only a few of the quitters were "my wife has cancer" or a coach who had done it for 22 years or something understandable.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:26 am

Pats hire LB coach Mayo as their HC

Racism has been defeated

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:40 am

mbasic wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:43 pm
Belichick? He's old, but maybe he's got something the prove still. But if I were him I'd retire.

-----------------------------------

Carol. fuck he's old as fuck. Just retire already.
Bill and Pete are less than a year apart in age. I get that Bill can still get the Total Wins record (though he's most likely 2 seasons away from that), but it doesn't seem like Pete has slowed down from an energy standpoint.

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:43 am

murphyreedus wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:40 amBill and Pete are less than a year apart in age. I get that Bill can still get the Total Wins record (though he's most likely 2 seasons away from that), but it doesn't seem like Pete has slowed down from an energy standpoint.
I didn't think Carol would retire from coaching. Something like middle of the season he was still talking about next year. And he still seems to have a lot of energy on the sidelines during games. Maybe just tired of the grind and being offered an advisor position was a nice way to stay involved but not put in the crazy hours.

I also think the Seahawks were on the cusp of being in the playoffs in a tough division this year and probably will be next year. The Patriots are wandering the desert right now.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:21 am

mbasic wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:26 am Pats hire LB coach Mayo as their HC

Racism has been defeated
Being fair, at least this had been rumored about for quite a while.

mouse

Post by mouse » Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:28 am

Bills/Steelers moved to Monday at 4:30...

Boooooo I guess... I've been getting ready for this storm all yesterday so nothing is bound to happen...