NFL Chatter

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

DCR

Re: NFL Chatter

Post by DCR » Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:28 am

mouse wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:28 am Bills/Steelers moved to Monday at 4:30...

Boooooo I guess... I've been getting ready for this storm all yesterday so nothing is bound to happen...
It’s lame but worked out great for me. Was gonna miss most of it tomorrow due to my girl’s bday. Now I get an excuse to shut down early Monday (I’m on Central time) and get my drink on.

mouse

Post by mouse » Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:29 pm

DCR wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:28 am
mouse wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:28 am Bills/Steelers moved to Monday at 4:30...

Boooooo I guess... I've been getting ready for this storm all yesterday so nothing is bound to happen...
It’s lame but worked out great for me. Was gonna miss most of it tomorrow due to my girl’s bday. Now I get an excuse to shut down early Monday (I’m on Central time) and get my drink on.
Similar, our plant is (mostly) shut down for the holiday but I was going in anyway. Convenient excuse to leave early and also... drink hahaha.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:49 am

murphyreedus wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:40 am Bill and Pete are less than a year apart in age.
Bill has the better coaching mind IMO. X and O's wise anyways. For some reason, I can see him coaching for another 3-5 years easy.

I think Pete would be better at like a GM or something

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:59 am

How the fuck does Green Bay keep getting good QBs again and again?

I think some alpha-witch-doctor put a terribly effective hex on jerry jones and/or cursed that new stadium or something.
Good chance cowboys go to the superbowl the very next after jerry jones dies....
Unbelievable the bad luck they've had with good teams/rosters.

Time for another coach I guess.

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:52 am

mbasic wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:59 am I think some alpha-witch-doctor put a terribly effective hex on jerry jones and/or cursed that new stadium or something.
His name? Aaron Rodgers.

But yeah, if there's one thing Packers fans understand, it's the pain of the Mike McCarthy playoff experience. Still, MM doesn't run the D. If the Packers hadn't pulled their starters and let Dallas back into the game, they might have put up 60+. Dallas had absolutely no answers for anything on D. Dak and the offense could have played a perfect game and still might have lost. Not how I expected that game to go.

I'll dust off my previous comment for next week's game:

murphyreedus wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:23 am Not holding my breath that the Packers will get past the Cowboys Niners (I'll be happy if they're at least competitive), but it's nice to watch meaningful football in January. Love has been excellent the last few games, and at the very least it's safe to say that the Packers have their QB for next year.

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:52 am

mbasic wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:59 amHow the fuck does Green Bay keep getting good QBs again and again?
Or Greenbay doesn't have a petulant owner that demands hot college QB X be drafted and immediately played. Rodgers and Love set multiple seasons. They were allowed to develop and learn how to be QBs before having substantial playing time. Another example is Geno Smith. Thrown to the wolves on a bad team then discarded. Given a few years to learn the position from the backup slot is capable starter.

I think the NFL's QB problem is primarily an issue of coaching and development.
murphyreedus wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:52 amBut yeah, if there's one thing Packers fans understand, it's the pain of the Mike McCarthy playoff experience. Still, MM doesn't run the D. If the Packers hadn't pulled their starters and let Dallas back into the game, they might have put up 60+. Dallas had absolutely no answers for anything on D. Dak and the offense could have played a perfect game and still might have lost. Not how I expected that game to go.
Love is a good QB. But he didn't have to do much in that Dallas game. He was throwing to receivers that had 5 yards of separation. I have no idea what the Dallas D was doing but covering receivers was not it.

mouse

Post by mouse » Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:29 am

There was a very close call there yesterday where I thought I might perish from this mortal realm because I couldn't breathe through the laughter during that Dallas game...

Damn I love to see it...

Now there's a very high chance that I will perish from this mortal realm from stress before 4:30... I'm at work for now (about to call it early) and I should train to distract myself... but I can feel it creeping in already...

cgeorg

Post by cgeorg » Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:41 am

T-4 hours.

Go lions though, wife set up me up with one her old hoodies so I'll be wearing that for (hopefully) the next several weekends.

mouse

Post by mouse » Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:32 pm

Not counting my chickens before they hatch here but I'm having a pretty good time...

DCR

Post by DCR » Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:37 pm

Ok we can forfeit now.

mouse

Post by mouse » Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:43 pm

A really... really good time...

Edit:

And so we start the great race to rehydrate my liver before I have to be at work for 4:00 am...

cgeorg

Post by cgeorg » Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:52 pm

Sucks that we seem to have forgotten how to tackle.

gg

DCR

Post by DCR » Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:19 pm

cgeorg wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:52 pm Sucks that we seem to have forgotten how to tackle.

gg
Sure did. Had our opportunities despite that, and blew them in the way that mediocre teams always do.

Even the one positive - Rudolph, again, being not half bad and clearly better than Pickett - really is a negative, because he’ll be gone next year and Pickett will be back as QB1.

cgeorg

Post by cgeorg » Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:53 am

DCR wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:19 pm
cgeorg wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:52 pm Sucks that we seem to have forgotten how to tackle.

gg
Sure did. Had our opportunities despite that, and blew them in the way that mediocre teams always do.

Even the one positive - Rudolph, again, being not half bad and clearly better than Pickett - really is a negative, because he’ll be gone next year and Pickett will be back as QB1.
I don't really get the hate for Pickett, he was saddled with terrible play calling and poor protection. I thought he looked very good once Canada got sacked, and he only got a game and a half to show it. He did get whiny when he didn't get to come back post-injury, but I think training camp will be a competition for the #1 spot. I won't be mad about either QB, though I think Pickett might have more top-end potential.

He threw 4 INTs in 324 attempts this year. How would yesterday have gone if we hadn't thrown any picks?

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:52 am

Belichik coaching in Philly next year?

If I were the Eagles that's what I would do.

Is Sirianni's contract all that bad? I think he is in his final year or something.

DCR

Post by DCR » Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:36 am

cgeorg wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:53 am
DCR wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:19 pm

gg

I don't really get the hate for Pickett, he was saddled with terrible play calling and poor protection. I thought he looked very good once Canada got sacked, and he only got a game and a half to show it. He did get whiny when he didn't get to come back post-injury, but I think training camp will be a competition for the #1 spot. I won't be mad about either QB, though I think Pickett might have more top-end potential.

He threw 4 INTs in 324 attempts this year. How would yesterday have gone if we hadn't thrown any picks?
I like Pickett as a dude - any QB who tries to fight linebackers is good in my book. That said, I haven't thought that he's been very good. Play calling was brutal for sure, and protection weak (especially earlier in the season), but he also consistently missed open receivers (either with the ball, or entirely), and his lack of INTs doesn't impress me - that's what happens when you barely move the ball or sniff the end zone and regularly throw for less than 200 ypg. That all said, yes I too am hopeful that with a full camp and some more Canada-less games under his belt, there will be more there. I'd love for him to be the guy.

MailmanMuscle

AFC Championship

Post by MailmanMuscle » Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:44 pm

GO RAVENS!

That’s all I have for now. 😁

✌🏾

mouse

Post by mouse » Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:20 am

I realize that technically I have been alive for all 4 Super Bowls and was old enough to remember the Sabres in the Stanley Cup finals, but today feels like the biggest game of my life hahaha...

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:22 am

The Pack greatly exceeded expectations this year, but man, that was a game they could have and should have won. Too many mistakes to keep the Niners in it, and Love seemed to start pressing at the end. Oh well, #firejoebarry and onto the Baker hype train.

mouse

Post by mouse » Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:17 pm

+1 on I was bummed that GB couldn't close the deal... that was a decent game...

I'm just over an hour away and I'm in full stress mode. I've warned my children that the things they see and hear from their father today are not meant to be replicated... the darkness will be coming out...