Instant Pot thread

Recipes and such

Moderator: d0uevenlift

Allentown
Likes Beer

Re: Instant Pot thread

Post by Allentown » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:54 am

cgeorg wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 am cheap and quick if you want it to taste like homebrew, pretty damn intense if you want it to be good
I found it fairly easy to make decent tasting beer. Never quite got proper carbonation down, but otherwise it wasn't hard to make "Generic IPA" that tasted similar to what every brewery in the US has somewhere on their menu.

cgeorg

Post by cgeorg » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:43 pm

Allentown wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:54 am
cgeorg wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 am cheap and quick if you want it to taste like homebrew, pretty damn intense if you want it to be good
I found it fairly easy to make decent tasting beer. Never quite got proper carbonation down, but otherwise it wasn't hard to make "Generic IPA" that tasted similar to what every brewery in the US has somewhere on their menu.
A lot of those taste like homebrew (to me). I haven't had your beer and so I'm not commenting on it but it is astounding to me that some of the nanos around me can stay open with the fermentation character they have.

I tend to like my IPAs really dry (mostly 2 row with maybe 10% wheat and a dash of vienna, mashed around 148) so extract ones usually miss my mark, but a bunch of hops can cover up a lot of minor flaws. IPAs with crystal malts can gtfo. Now making a good homebrew summer beer is hard.

I miss brewing. My buddies and I just got too big. Little afternoon brew in a bag session is fun, and I can get through the whole thing in 4 hours with a couple of big spans of doing nothing. We got up to a 3 keggle system for 10g batches and brew days stopped being fun.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:49 pm

cgeorg wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:43 pm a bunch of hops can cover up a lot of minor flaws.
I don't think for a second my half-assed homebrew wouldn't be identifiable as such in a tasting, but ^that, and I gave up ordering IPAs at breweries because they all started to blur into one big hop taste for me. If I already know it's good I'll get it, if someone tells me it's good I'll get it, but otherwise I'll exhaust all my options first.

HenryHokie

Post by HenryHokie » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:14 pm

My wife a pretty good Chinese inspired beef stew / noodle:
-Beef Chuck
-Schiucan peppers
-Rice Cooking wine
-Ginger
-Green Onoin
-star Anise
-dried orange peal

I feel with the insta-pot you need double the spices relative to traditional slow cooker like a crock-pot.

BostonRugger
Edging Lord

Post by BostonRugger » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:07 am

Made a surprisingly good pot roast dinner last night.

Does anyone use one of the larger IP models? I have the duo plus and I’ve had a couple dishes botched because the protein cane out rubbery. Not sure if I’m supposed to be adjusting the liquid amount for the larger unit.

psmith

Post by psmith » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:51 am

Real talk are these things worth it over a regular unpressurized slow cooker?

Also, can you pull the "pot" out and use it for storage like you can with a slow cooker (thus eliminating the need for a giant piece of tupperware)?

omaniphil

Post by omaniphil » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:06 am

psmith wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:51 am Real talk are these things worth it over a regular unpressurized slow cooker?

Also, can you pull the "pot" out and use it for storage like you can with a slow cooker (thus eliminating the need for a giant piece of tupperware)?
I think it is, especially if you are short on space. I no longer use either my pressure cooker or slowcooker because the instapot can do both of those things just as well. My primary use for the instapot is to make my own yogurt, which neither the standalone slowcooker or pressure cooker can do.

augeleven

Post by augeleven » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:12 pm

I just used my instapot for solving the whole “what’s for dinner, all our meat is frozen” problem. Threw some frozen chicken leg quarters (skin removed before freezing) in the instapot. 30 minutes later I had some chicken meat to throw in the Greg Nuckols risotto recipe from the latest SbS podcast. Quick and easy.
Also anything I’ve made in the crock pot has bolder flavors in the instant pot. My crockpot hasn’t been used since I got the instapot. A friend has an instapot/air fryer hybrid that I covet, but if I got it my tater tot and chicken wing intake would skyrocket precipitously.

psmith

Post by psmith » Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:51 pm

Well, you guys convinced me, and it's been pretty great. Super thick greek yogurt and a lot of bean dishes from dried beans with a Thai curry in the pipeline.

The pot + lid is OK for storage, not great, and I have a tough time getting bean smell out of the silicone seal, but those are my only real complaints so far.

augeleven

Post by augeleven » Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:27 pm

I made some country ribs in the instapot tonight. Finished under the broiler. Not grillrotica-worthy, but pretty tasty and done under an hour with little prep work.

brkriete

Post by brkriete » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:59 am

psmith wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:51 am Real talk are these things worth it over a regular unpressurized slow cooker?
I see you already got one but yes, I think so. Does everything a slow cooker does and more but much much faster and better. I would say we use ours every other day between rice, pulled chicken, various pasta dishes, etc.

I never liked crockpots all that much.

Seems like a lot of recipes are 4 - 6 hours which doesn't work if you leave the house for work at 7 and get back ten hours later. I don't want to do meal prep before I leave in the AM anyway.

Also never loved the idea of leaving one turned on and sitting on my counter all day.

With the instant pot you can start something when you get home and still have dinner at a reasonable time. Flavors seem a little better to me too, probably because you aren't cooking for as long.

Skander

Post by Skander » Sun May 24, 2020 5:03 pm

psmith wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:51 pm Well, you guys convinced me, and it's been pretty great. Super thick greek yogurt and a lot of bean dishes from dried beans with a Thai curry in the pipeline.

The pot + lid is OK for storage, not great, and I have a tough time getting bean smell out of the silicone seal, but those are my only real complaints so far.
You can get another seal to keep savory and sweet separate. It's actually pretty reasonably priced. I've been making yogurt lately and it's nice to not taste like chicken broth.

psmith

Post by psmith » Mon May 25, 2020 9:45 am

Update: getting "food burn" messages every time I try to pressure cook. Google suggests using trivets to keep solid food off the bottom, will try and post results.
Skander wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 5:03 pm You can get another seal to keep savory and sweet separate. It's actually pretty reasonably priced. I've been making yogurt lately and it's nice to not taste like chicken broth.
That seems like a reasonable upgrade, especially since I'm told seals are wear items anyway.