Police Reform Thread

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

mikeylikey
Rabble Rouser

Re: Police Reform Thread

Post by mikeylikey » Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:59 am

mbasic wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:13 am welp this case seems to be wrapping up

https://sentinelcolorado.com/metro/jury ... h-mcclain/

So if I'm reading everything right, 1 out of the 3 cops, and 2 paramedics found guilty of .... criminal negligent homicide or something not along those lines. "Assault" lol assault leading to death should be manslaughter or something.

From what I remember, I think Elijah McClain was fairly motionless and calm (not panicing) for a minute or more while they stood around and debated whether or not to give him a/the ketamine shot. So the alleged "panic attack induced delirium" had subsided....then why shoot him up? And lol at that kid weighing 190#. Its funny (sad funny) to me too .... say if he was acting strange in their opinion, and perhaps on drugs, you give him MORE drugs? out of the back of an ambul-Van willy-nilly impromptu-like on the street without diagnosing anything or running some tests.

Lol at this shit:
The outcome could set a precedent for how emergency personnel respond to situations with people in police custody, said University of Miami criminologist Alex Piquero.

“Imagine if you’re a paramedic,” Piquero said. “They could be hesitant. They could say, ‘I’m not going to do anything’ or ‘I’m going to do less. I don’t want to be found guilty.'”

The International Association of Fire Fighters said in a statement that in pursuing the charges, Colorado Attorney General Phil Weiser had criminalized split-second medical decisions and set “a dangerous, chilling precedent for pre-hospital care.”
yeah, maybe abide by the first rule (or whatev) of that Hippocratic oath thingy: 'do no harm' or something something.
500 mg ketamine is not a lethal dose.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK470357/

Depending on the protocols of various paramedic systems, 500 mg is a standard dose in this situation. These guys were fucked because their lawyers let them get on the stand and testify that their protocol would have been for 425 MG and that they overestimated his weight, along with the racial baggage that goes along with that.

I think in this case the cops murdered a guy and the paramedics got caught up in a shitstorm and had lousy representation.

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:33 am

Yeah it isn’t medical treatment that these paramedics administered on behalf of some goons. The goons were pissed and knew they couldn't beat the shit out of him so had a third party dose him with ketamine as retribution. At least one of the goons was convicted. I wish they all went to jail. The “goons told me to do it” defense is bullshit. The paramedics are medical professionals, not under the goons' chain of command, and had a responsibility to do no harm. I’m happy that defense did not work. They should all be in prison as far as I'm concerned.

KyleSchuant
Take It Easy

Post by KyleSchuant » Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:38 pm

This was interesting:

“Violent video games are murder simulators,” he says, “except when police officers and soldiers use them for training, in which case they are combat simulators.”

This is interesting, because what Grossman is saying is that video games make it easier for you to kill people, even when it's wrong to do so. But that it could never possibly be wrong for a soldier or cop to kill. Ahem.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/202 ... ology.html

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:30 pm

mouse wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:22 am Remember when seconds matter, cops are only *checks notes* roughly an hour and a half away...

https://nypost.com/2022/07/13/full-vide ... -released/

I'll watch in its entirety later .... but something about there was 376 cops at the school at some point or another.

I think I could successfully storm that school with myself and 4 buddies. Sure 1 or 2 of us might die....but ???

https://www.c-span.org/video/?533034-1/ ... l-shooting

mikeylikey
Rabble Rouser

Post by mikeylikey » Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:22 am

Anybody seen the acorn video?

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:47 pm

mikeylikey wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:22 amAnybody seen the acorn video?
Bizarre and terrifying to say the least.

The officer likely had a full on PTSD episode. But who fucking cares. How in the world was that guy an armed officer unleashed on the community? Had to be numerous warning signs before this.

And his partner just opening fire just cause? Didn't identify a threat but joined in? Jesus...policing in the US needs a lot of work.

The two officers were cleared of criminal wrongdoing following the internal investigation, though Hernandez was determined to have violated policy, authorities said. He resigned from the force in December amid the probe.

Fired 25+ rounds at an unarmed man hand cuffed locked in the back of squad car in the middle of a neighborhood...but an internal investigation cleared them. Move along people. :roll:

mikeylikey
Rabble Rouser

Post by mikeylikey » Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:06 am

aurelius wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:47 pm
And his partner just opening fire just cause? Didn't identify a threat but joined in? Jesus...policing in the US needs a lot of work.
Of the two, I actually think the partner is more excusable, or at least defensible.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:09 am

posting the Dr.Grande version of this account ... more detailed explanation of the whole story

Short story:

Cops show up to sort out a kinda domestic violence thing .... "My BF 'stole' my car".
They pat the dude down, cuff him, and put him in the back seat of a patrol car.
Upon interviewing the GF, the dude is then known to have multiple firearms, and possibly a suppressor, etc.
I guess during all this, the stolen car is found elsewhere by another group of responding cops (offsite).
One cop goes to retrieve the suspect out of the back of patrol car for further questioning or something.
Cop hears what he claims was a muffled gunshot ... emanating from his patrol vehicle.
Seems like he has been hit in the chest/shoulder ..... starts to return fire onto his own patrol vehicle which houses the suspect.
Other cops, seeing their comrade it crawling around on the ground wounded, firing at the vehicle, then follow suit with a likewise barrage of 'covering fire' or something.

Turns out the 'shot' was an ACORN that fell from a tall tree onto the hood of the patrol vehicle.
The cop was actually NOT hit by anything. The sound triggered somekind of hysterics-fake-PTSD reaction.
(they actually took the cop to the hospital, think he was hit .... vest???)
The suspect, amazingly, was not injured .... he remained cuffed, in the back seat, locked up, while the car was perforated by bullets.

EDIT: no charges filed on the cop. Only fired from his job. Lady-cop was exonerated (for being 'tricked' into firing at the suspect)

Hiphopapotamus

Post by Hiphopapotamus » Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:50 pm