Police Reform Thread

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

JimRiley

Re: Police Reform Thread

Post by JimRiley » Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:25 pm

Meanwhile, in the nation's capital, a toddler squeezed through an iron fence and entered the front lawn of a residence, but law enforcement agents returned him to his parents' custody without incident. A white male in his 80s resides at that address but did not confront the intruder.

BostonRugger
Edging Lord

Post by BostonRugger » Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:32 am

mbasic wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:38 pm

I mean, they were only investigating a Domestic Violence call (which I know can be one of the worst/most dangerous calls to show up on) ....
.....but for your average DV call, where they don't have a history on the occupants, they don't typically roll up lights ablaze, and use the police P.A-horn blaring: "THIS IS THE POLICE, COME OUT UNARMED WITH YOUR HANDS UP!!! ESTA ES LA POLICIA, SALGA SIN ARMAS CON LAS MANOS EN ALTO!!!".

... they typically just kinda knock on the door, and kinda semi-loudly announce: 'hey, this is the police...open up'....usually done without making a big scene.

But yeah, when a guy bursts from his front door with a pistol in high-ready position ....aiming. ima gonna shoota first.

EDIT:
Farmington homeowner kinda sealed his own fate there.
Say if he happened to get a shot off, and the cops didn't kill him .... he's going to jail, right? For shooting at cops?
Say if he killed a cop, and say they didn't "kill him back" ...he's going to jail and/or getting the chair, right?
That's great if you get the right address. He and the cops are both incompetent, but he gets to be the one who's dead.

mikeylikey
Rabble Rouser

Post by mikeylikey » Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:42 am

aurelius wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 5:17 pm all wearing body armor
BostonRugger wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:32 am That's great if you get the right address. He and the cops are both incompetent, but he gets to be the one who's dead.
That's really the problem. Let's stipulate that bubba was 90% to blame, busting out the door waving a gun when he obviously didn't know WHO was out there. Should we be okay with the cops being 10% to blame when that 10% got whole the party started?

dw

Post by dw » Thu Apr 20, 2023 1:28 pm

High five to team Baldwin. (Can't remember which thread that was.)

Brackish

Post by Brackish » Fri May 19, 2023 5:17 am

5hout

Post by 5hout » Fri May 19, 2023 8:22 am

Brackish wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 5:17 am https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/19/australi ... index.html

Umm...what?
Waiting till nap time or just grabbing the knife out of her hand at the risk of a tiny cut was just too much risk. They HAD to tase her, you don't want the officers to be BRUTALLY stabbed (by a 95 year old 95 lbs) MONSTER?

Do you think they told her "You've been tasered alright?"

reference:
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/vid ... isor-video

BostonRugger
Edging Lord

Post by BostonRugger » Fri May 19, 2023 8:23 am

Seems like that could've been solved with a pair of heavy gloves or some warm milk.

cgeorg

Post by cgeorg » Sat May 27, 2023 7:16 am

KyleSchuant
Take It Easy

Post by KyleSchuant » Tue May 30, 2023 9:19 pm

BostonRugger wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 8:23 am Seems like that could've been solved with a pair of heavy gloves or some warm milk.
After being tasered she fell, struck her head, was hospitalised in a coma, and a few days later died.

Suffice to say NSW Police have ensured she won't be a repeat offender.

The police officer involved was heard to say, "bugger this," shortly before firing his taser (no, I am not joking), and has subsequently been charged. Normally police get off however atrocious it is, I'm not sure that'll happen this time though.

KyleSchuant
Take It Easy

Post by KyleSchuant » Wed May 31, 2023 2:05 am

This thread didn't go the way Victoria Police expected, I think. Might explain why they shut off comments.

BostonRugger
Edging Lord

Post by BostonRugger » Fri Jul 21, 2023 5:26 am

Maybe she thought it was her taser

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Sun Jul 23, 2023 4:30 pm

BostonRugger wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 5:26 am

Maybe she thought it was her taser
Some of the pistol shots they take are crazy.

Especially on running suspects PLUS at distance.

Even 20 yards is a hard shot with a shitty pistol ...(when not at the range/under duress/night/etc).

KyleSchuant
Take It Easy

Post by KyleSchuant » Sun Jul 23, 2023 6:51 pm

Hey, if I fired that many shots in the general direction of three people, I'm pretty sure I could hit some innocent bystanders, too.

They failed to get bystanders out of the way first, and fired on the suspect when he was down. I imagine the US system will let them off, but even here in Taser Old Lady Land they'd get done heavily.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Mon Jul 24, 2023 5:10 am

KyleSchuant wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 6:51 pm Hey, if I fired that many shots in the general direction of three people, I'm pretty sure I could hit some innocent bystanders, too.

They failed to get bystanders out of the way first, and fired on the suspect when he was down. I imagine the US system will let them off, but even here in Taser Old Lady Land they'd get done heavily.
also, I don't get @BostonRugger taser comment..... after reading the description, the guy was a serial-stabber / active-stabber in progress....and called in as suck. I'm using the lead-spray gun from the very get go (not the taser), just not while there's civilians in the way there like there was. Unless that was a "thing" about her being an incompetent woman-cop (like the lady with taser-pistol-confusion)....but the other cop who blasted away was a dude-cop. Monkey see monkey do. My partner starts blasting away, I'm obligated to do the same? no? lolz. (/s)

You got two officers EDIT: 4 or 6 officers with pistols, that beats a knife at all ranges ....they should've got right in there close and then blasted him. Fuck that guy.

Seafoam

Post by Seafoam » Mon Jul 24, 2023 6:24 am

Exactly why I would think 3-4 times before calling the cops.

BostonRugger
Edging Lord

Post by BostonRugger » Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:24 am

mbasic wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 5:10 am
KyleSchuant wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 6:51 pm Hey, if I fired that many shots in the general direction of three people, I'm pretty sure I could hit some innocent bystanders, too.

also, I don't get @BostonRugger taser comment..... after reading the description, the guy was a serial-stabber / active-stabber in progress....and called in as suck. I'm using the lead-spray gun from the very get go (not the taser), just not while there's civilians in the way there like there was. Unless that was a "thing" about her being an incompetent woman-cop (like the lady with taser-pistol-confusion)....but the other cop who blasted away was a dude-cop. Monkey see monkey do. My partner starts blasting away, I'm obligated to do the same? no? lolz. (/s)
Comic relief at the expense of women cops. Guilty as charged.

You got two officers EDIT: 4 or 6 officers with pistols, that beats a knife at all ranges ....they should've got right in there close and then blasted him. Fuck that guy.
If he was actively stabbing people then I'd agree that shooting him is necessary for the safety of others (cool and good, even), but the cops seem to have gotten too focused on their method (shooting him) instead of their goal (the safety of others).

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Mon Jul 31, 2023 7:39 pm

Fucken lolz

Ffwd to 3:00 for the most insane part....but the whole video is comical. ...maybe 17:30 is crazier

Doubled up magazine, check
Rambo bandana, check
Iron sights at night, check
Friendlies everywhere you're shooting, check

5hout

Post by 5hout » Tue Aug 01, 2023 5:25 am

mbasic wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 7:39 pm Fucken lolz

Ffwd to 3:00 for the most insane part....but the whole video is comical. ...maybe 17:30 is crazier

Doubled up magazine, check
Rambo bandana, check
Iron sights at night, check
Friendlies everywhere you're shooting, check
Holy. Shit. The utter insanity of the people in back shooting like that.

Can someone who knows something about this stuff explain why it's done like this? Not the shooting, but 4 people walking in vs 1-2 people from the side with 1-2 people off-set to provide enfilade fire and everyone else told to only shoot on a runner? This seems to be the stupidest possible way to go about it.

Is this what they're attempting to do but panic/pressure has made them crap? It just seems so poorly set up.

EDIT: Screw it, I've been up way too long for 8am. They're going up vs what looks to be a standard 9mm. Certainly the shield + existing body armor tech exists to reduce the danger from the guy to almost 0. The danger from taking a 5.56 to the back has got to be like 1000x the danger from the guy.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Tue Aug 01, 2023 5:47 am

yeah they had that cool/useful drone. You can see him prepping/handling the pistol about 2-3 seconds before he shoots. Too bad they couldn't see that first, and got alerted. IDK if they were thinking he was un-armed or what.

Anywhoo .... I guess after the 80 shot barrage you see here^ .... they said (supposedly) they could still see (via drone) his chest moving up and down as if he was breathing, and could not see the gun, so he was still deemed a threat. I guess at that point, it was decided to some more hardware was needed: SWAT shows up with an armored vehicle ... so they can SAFELY approach close enough ....wait for it .... to throw a five-burst flash-bang-grenade onto him ??? lolwut?!

He was hit 18 times: head, neck, all limbs, all over his body.

I find it odd they are willing to take risk approaching a hidden suspect in the tall grass like that, at night, with a shield, k-9, et ....with all the trigger happy cops standing by for back up. But turning him into obvs swiss cheese, they can't risk walking up on him again with a ballistic shield, dog, etc.

5hout

Post by 5hout » Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:03 am

mbasic wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 5:47 am
I find it odd they are willing to take risk approaching a hidden suspect in the tall grass like that, at night, with a shield, k-9, et ....with all the trigger happy cops standing by for back up. But turning him into obvs swiss cheese, they can't risk walking up on him again with a ballistic shield, dog, etc.
Yes. Given the result/the amount of firepower and what not it really feels like it would be safer and easier for everyone if there were like 3 cops involved, 1 guy with riot shield+helmet, Level IV plates, the works and 2 guys prone off to the side with a helmet and FALs or whatever. Riot shield approaches, if suspect fires on riot shield guy then it's a Rhodesian drake shoot.

Idk. Watching chunks over again it just feels like they need way more people backed off out of line of sight. so many people with guns that close feels like the risk to everyone/confusion is scaling almost factorially off the # of people within oopsie range.