Squat Depth/Overall Form

Ask questions, post videos, help others not screw up

Moderators: mgil, d0uevenlift

Paul

Squat Depth/Overall Form

Post by Paul » Thu May 30, 2019 7:29 pm

Is this deep enough to safely get whites in a competition? (Hopefully it's not too hard to see with the lighting.)

My singlet is an all black SBD, so I'm worried about it being hard to judge too, so I plan on getting as much depth as possible.

If this isn't good, are there any glaring issues I can fix?

I recently moved the bar up higher on my back and narrowed my stance, which feels way more solid and "healthy".

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Re: Squat Depth/Overall Form

Post by Wilhelm » Fri May 31, 2019 3:09 am

Those look deep, from what i can see.

I imagine even with the black singlet, (which refs see all the time in comps) there will be better light at a meet.
Technically, i can't see your knee and hip crease, but those still look convincing.

You will have a gap between your sleeves and the bottom of your singlet at the meet.

I'd be surprised if somehow your hip crease wasn't below the top of your knee.
I suppose it's not absolutely impossible, but i would be very surprised.

Post another clip if you can, with maybe contrasting clothing.
This won't be an issue with your singlet at the meet, but it can be very helpful if the lighting isn't great.
I squat in a couple pair of boxer briefs and a light shirt just because i'm obsessed with seeing depth on every rep.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Fri May 31, 2019 5:16 am

Form looks good.

You could just try to accidentally put some chalk on the singlet where the hip crease is just to help the judges out a bit.

Ragholmes

Post by Ragholmes » Fri May 31, 2019 6:53 am

mgil wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 5:16 am You could just try to accidentally put some chalk on the singlet where the hip crease is just to help the judges out a bit.
It's weird how something I've never thought of can seem so obvious once someone says it.
And now that I am thinking about this I'm wondering why something like this isn't already a standard. Judges could put a little white round sticker right on the femoral head, kinda like those round stickers they use for motion capture in the movies. Would make judging depth so much easier, and get rid of a lot of argument (obviously not all, but a lot).

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Fri May 31, 2019 7:38 am

I'm sure they've seen it before.

I've thought about it, but then thought it could even cause them to go hard on me, if even just in the back of their mind.

I dunno, i see plenty of all black singlets at Raw Nats and Worlds.

Viola

Post by Viola » Fri May 31, 2019 8:28 am

Lots of singlets have a wide colour stripe on the side of the leg. Lifters will twist the stripe slightly so the line of the stripe will make the squat look deeper than it is.

Those looked good to me. (CPU ref). But they are not super deep, and you are a fast squatter, so that may influence how well the ref sees depth on meet day. Which province are you competing?

Paul

Post by Paul » Fri May 31, 2019 8:30 pm

Thanks for the input as always! I'll try to get better lighting and clothing in a video next comp squat day...
mgil wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 5:16 am You could just try to accidentally put some chalk on the singlet where the hip crease is just to help the judges out a bit.
Ha! ... I've totally been considering just drawing a line with a piece of chalk on the singlet. Or even just chalking inside my hip crease. I think it's technically legal...
Viola wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 8:28 am Lots of singlets have a wide colour stripe on the side of the leg. Lifters will twist the stripe slightly so the line of the stripe will make the squat look deeper than it is.

Those looked good to me. (CPU ref). But they are not super deep, and you are a fast squatter, so that may influence how well the ref sees depth on meet day. Which province are you competing?
Alberta. It's a small 100% Raw meet.

I regretted getting the all black singlet a few days after receiving it when I read a few posts around the interweb about "black on black crime" ...good squats being red lighted because it's hard to see the crease. The stripey SBDs seem like a much safer bet now.

ChrisMcCarthy1979

Post by ChrisMcCarthy1979 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:18 am

They look just about deep enough in that pic...but it's close enough that in "real life" I wouldn't be overly surprised if the call went the other way, depending on what the Judges were looking for that day.

Paul

Post by Paul » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:47 pm

This probably doesn't help. There's just too much contrast and my phone underexposes the important stuff.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:27 am

Depth is fine there. You’re super fast out of the bottom. I think you’ll be fine.

Paul

Post by Paul » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:00 pm

mgil wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:27 am Depth is fine there. You’re super fast out of the bottom. I think you’ll be fine.
Thank you! I think I just have to hope the judges feel the same way and do my best at this point!

ChrisMcCarthy1979

Post by ChrisMcCarthy1979 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:34 am

Sink the first one and leave an good impression on them.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:12 am

ChrisMcCarthy1979 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:34 am Sink the first one and leave an good impression on them.
Yes.
Choose an opener you can squat very easily.
Even if everything goes wrong, you loose tightness, get on your toes, and have to goodmorning it up.
Then bury it.

Something still heavy enough to keep you in the ballpark of your following attempts.
So not ridiculously light, but still a sure thing.